shape
carat
color
clarity

How to: A full custom ring process

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Splinter

Shiny_Rock
Hi folks

There are a few threads out there detailing the process to follow for getting a custom ring made, but I figured the more information the better.

CONTENTS

1. Planning
2. Choosing the Diamond
3. Initial Design
4. Final Design
5. End Product
6. Summary - read this if you think the rest of the post is too long!

1. Planning
This section covers information which isn't really related to custom design, but it's still relevent to the process I went through. I started to look through the hundreds of ring designs available online but realised pretty soon that nothing was quite right. I decided to contact Whiteflash to see what sort of price a custom design would be. I emailed the basic idea of what I wanted. Platinum, channel set 3/4 eternity princess stones with a .5 carat centre stone. I told them roughly how thick I wanted it and sent links to about 10 rings with similar elements of design that I liked, but which weren't perfect. I also mailed them the exact specifications of the stone I wanted. VS1, D, AGS 0 Cut, .5 carats.

2. Choosing the Diamond
Using the amazing folks here on the Pricescope forum made choosing the right stone a breeze. I read the forum for quite a few weeks before posting some questions of my own. I learned all I could regarding the 4 C's.

My advice is to take your time, decide on which features are important to you, then see what your budget allows. It was quite easy for me because I knew the stats of the ideal stone and wasn't willing to compromise. Whiteflash got back to me very quickly and sent me a choice of three diamonds, one of which matched my specs perfectly. They called it in and verified that it was a good stone. AGS 0, D, VS1, .568ct. I posted the stats, images and photos of the stone on Pricescope for opinions. Satisfied it had the Pricescope Seal Of Approval (TM), I told them I'd take it. Meanwhile...

3. Initial Design
Whiteflash also sent me a quotation for the cost of the ring. It came in far below what I was expecting. I agreed to the price and arranged payment (in my case I just paid the full amount upfront through paypal). Meanwhile they got to work on the first CAD (Computer Aided Design) image of the ring. They mailed it to me just one day later. I made some very crude changes in Photoshop and sent it back along with a description of what I wanted changed. There wasn't much to modify since the initial design was very close to my specification.

There is something to consider when you receive your CAD. Everything in a CAD image will look rather large, and bulky. Your actual finished ring will have a more natural look. This is evident if you compare the CADs below to the final product.

4. Final Design
Whiteflash got back to me within a day or two with the new CADs. The changes were just as I wanted. I gave the go ahead to start production of the ring. From here the basic process is as follows (thanks Joe!) :

The CAD file is prepared for either milling on a rapid prototyping machine or a multi axis milling machine (milling machine in my case), after it is 'milled' and the wax is produced it is sprued (tube of wax added for metal to flow through), then they use a substance called investment (kinda like plaster of paris) that hardens around the wax, they cook the investment upside down so the wax can melt out, then they pour the metal into the cavity that was created by the melted wax, they wait a little bit for the metal to solidify, then they smash apart the investment to reveal the ring. The ring is then made smooth by filing certain areas, then the stones set, and then they polish it to a shine. They then take photos of the finished ring and send them to you.

5. End Product
I received an email a few days later with the photos of the finished ring. The photos are really well done and a great touch to add to the whole process. On the same day I received another mail advising that the ring had been shipped. About 20 hours later I got a call from the FedEx department at one of the London airports advising they had a ring coming in for me. I arranged payment of taxes and duties with FedEx. Less than 24 hours later the package was delivered. The ring came complete with the stone's AGS certificate in a nice holder, a cleaning kit and all the paperwork and receipts. The package was very secure, being packed into 2 boxes (one within the other) with additional padding.

The final ring is far more stunning than pictures can tell. It literally took my breath away for a second or two. It turned out even better than I could have dreamed. Thanks to everyone who was a part of this process, both at Whiteflash and here on Pricesope.

6. Summary
This is the whole process in point form for those too lazy to read the whole thing:

1. Decide the sort of design and stone you want.
2. Contact the vendor with your specifications.
3. Receive feedback on possible diamonds and choose one.
4. Also receive a quote for the price of the ring.
5. Arrange payment process.
6. Receive initial CAD.
7. Give feedback on CAD.
8. Receive modified CAD.
9. Give feedback on modified CAD.
10. Give approval of final design.
11. Ring shipped.
12. Pay Taxes/Import.
13. Receive final product.

I always thought obtaining a custom designed ring of this quality was far beyond my means and a very complicated process, but the folks at Whiteflash were amazing. They guided me through each step, even phoning me in my office in London several times (Thanks Traci!). I have to say a huge thank you to each and every person involved in designing and manufacturing my girlfriend's ring.

Thanks to:
Traci for being an amazing consultant! Whatever they pay her, it's not enough!
Joe for being so patient while I badly photoshopped his CADs.
Priscilla and Vera for helping arrange payment.
Travis for the great photos.
Lindsey for shipping the final product.

Splinter

Shiny_Rock
Initial CAD:

SplinterInitialCAD.jpg

Splinter

Shiny_Rock
My modifications:

SplinterModified CAD.jpg

Splinter

Shiny_Rock
Final CAD:

SplinterFinalCAD.jpg

Splinter

Shiny_Rock
Final product:
SplinterCustomRing.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is an excellent post for reference Splinter, it should be of help to many. I know I will use it to help new posters - good job!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Splinter

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Lorelei! Took me while to get it online since I had to wait until my girlfriend wasn''t around...
2.gif

nuclear

Rough_Rock
If you don''t mind me asking, how much did the custom setting cost?
27.gif

Splinter

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/2/2008 3:30:27 PM
Author: nuclear
If you don''t mind me asking, how much did the custom setting cost?
27.gif
The ring alone was platinum with approx 0.780ctw princess cut diamonds and cost $2,425.00 (excluding UK VAT of 17.5% and import duties).

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
This is great Splinter! I''m not really new around here, but we''re getting our setting through WF as well and it''s nice to see the process laid out! Thanks!
36.gif

Your ring looks great too, btw!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Splinter the ring looks fantastic :) I can''t wait to see the IRL pics :)

Thanks for the really informative post should be a useful help for people considering custom pieces :)

newringgirl70

Rough_Rock
Very lovely ring--ahhh, love
30.gif

This is a great thread...I am going through the custom process at WF right now and just got off the phone with Joe. We did this really cool web/phone meeting where I was able to pull his CADs up on my screen and take over his mouse and show him what I wanted while we discussed it. He was even able to pull up a picture from the internet of a ring I love so we could look at it together. He is super nice and the method made him able to understand my idiot ramblings about the ring I''m hoping for.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring, and your EDU is very well written!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
great write up. thanks for sharing.

lovely ring.

teacherk

Rough_Rock
Fantastic information! I am going to forward this to my sister-in-law immediately. She is ring shopping and wants something very unique. I think she will be encouraged to see how easy (and inexpensive) it can be to get exactly what you want. WF is just amazing too aren''t they? I am a total fan. Great thread!

K

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, wonderful and thanks for the write up on the process, very helpful! Love the ring
36.gif

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you for your post, it is very informative
1.gif
I just started a custom project with WF and this has given me an idea of what to expect. Cheers!
36.gif

ETA: I think this should be moved to the 'Helpful Threads' archive, do we do that or does admin??

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Date: 6/5/2008 1:36:41 AM
Author: shimmer
Thank you for your post, it is very informative
1.gif
I just started a custom project with WF and this has given me an idea of what to expect. Cheers!
36.gif

ETA: I think this should be moved to the ''Helpful Threads'' archive, do we do that or does admin??

Anyone can add a helpful thread to the "Helpful Threads" archive. That is what it is all about.

I have already added.

Splinter

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/5/2008 12:57:12 AM
Author: teacherk
Fantastic information! I am going to forward this to my sister-in-law immediately. She is ring shopping and wants something very unique. I think she will be encouraged to see how easy (and inexpensive) it can be to get exactly what you want. WF is just amazing too aren''t they? I am a total fan. Great thread!

K
Hope everything goes well for your sister-in-law! I was hoping that this thread would make the custom process more accessible for people.
9.gif

Also good luck Shimmer! I''m sure the end result will be great!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results