shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling skin care freaks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MaggieB

Brilliant_Rock
(This may not be the forum for this. If not, I apologize)

I am trying to decide what to do for my skin to get it looking as good as possible for my December wedding. So far, I''ve never done anything extensive. I do a LOT of homecare (products I''ve alternated between: Dermalogica, Kinerase, Murad, Skinsceuticals, etc.) and I''ve done some mild glycolic peels and microdermabrasion. But I was thinking of getting either an intensive peel (the kind where your skin actually peels off for a few days), or Thermage, or a series of microdermabrasion, something, just haven''t decided.

I was wondering if any of you had any of these procedures, and if so, what you thought about them.

I''m 38 years old, have very little wrinkling, but skin is losing elasticity and needs firming, probably bigger problem is hyperpigmentation on my cheeks.

Thanks,
Maggie

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
no real advice than to say i''d recommend going for facials between now and then as often as you can. i go every 3 weeks and have a regular person i''ve been going to for 4.5 years now.

movie zombie

golden

Shiny_Rock
Hey, I am 25 and in my late teens I started breaking out after tanning for a few months and ever since, had a skin problem UNTIL this past year, I don't know if it is better now because of age or the proactive, but I only get an occasional pimple now. When my face started clearing up, I started a series of microdermabrasion at the dermatologist and my skin looked AMAZING. It is something I would like to start up again. I also use La Mer under eye cream, also amazing. I recently started washing my face with St. Ives apricot radiance age defying cream cleanser and I love it. I had purchased it for my grandmother and it was not the one she uses so I wound up using it and it's really great, it has these mini micro beads in it. I don't know if proactive is for people without breakouts, but it really leaves your face looking so fresh, but it does make your skin very sensitive, I will continue to use it. Definitely get La Mer and do the micro.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2008 2:23:49 PM
Author:MaggieB

I am trying to decide what to do for my skin to get it looking as good as possible for my December wedding. So far, I''ve never done anything extensive. I do a LOT of homecare (products I''ve alternated between: Dermalogica, Kinerase, Murad, Skinsceuticals, etc.) and I''ve done some mild glycolic peels and microdermabrasion. But I was thinking of getting either an intensive peel (the kind where your skin actually peels off for a few days), or Thermage, or a series of microdermabrasion, something, just haven''t decided.

I was wondering if any of you had any of these procedures, and if so, what you thought about them.

I''m 38 years old, have very little wrinkling, but skin is losing elasticity and needs firming, probably bigger problem is hyperpigmentation on my cheeks.

Thanks,
Maggie
Hi Maggie. My first suggestion is find a good dermatologist and list in order of imporatance the things that you would like to clear up before your wedding. If hyperpigmentation is your biggest concern there are a few perscription products on the market that can help with that. However, your dermatologist will know what is right for your skin. As with anything consistency is the key with product usage. You need at least a few weeks of using anything to see what is going to work for your skin. Thermage, ablative laser procedures and peels are used in many cases for different purposes. If your second concern is the elasticity and firmness of your skin then thermage may be an option for you. The other procedures you listed won''t do to much for you in this area.

PS. Don''t forget to tell the doc all the products you are using including soap as that may impact the regimine they perscribe for you. Good luck!

Em1

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
The best thing you can do is drink lots of water and be very careful of the sun. A pain and not very glamourous, but very effective.

I recommend you stay away from proactiv as it causes your skin to be more sensitive to the sun, which is the leading cause of skin damage.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am sure you are eating well, and drinking lots of water--that helps. Take a fish oil supplement for good measure! And talk to your Derm about invasive treatments--some of them may not be "for you".

cheers--Sharon

claireabelle

Shiny_Rock
Remember - what you put on the inside is equally important. Take a womens multivitamin and a fish oil dose every day. It makes such a difference!

Drink looaads of water (3 x as much as you think you need!)

As far as products go, I use a clinique 3 step program twice daily and go for a facial every month.

Try not to swap and change products too much - it can be a bit traumatic for your skin.

ohh.... and NO TANNING!

9.gif

claireabelle

Shiny_Rock
Remember - what you put on the inside is equally important. Take a womens multivitamin and a fish oil dose every day. It makes such a difference!

Drink looaads of water (3 x as much as you think you need!)

As far as products go, I use a clinique 3 step program twice daily and go for a facial every month.

Try not to swap and change products too much - it can be a bit traumatic for your skin.

ohh.... and NO TANNING!

9.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Check out this website - she has really excellent, scientifically-based information about what to do to help with most major skin issues, including aging and hyperpigmentation. My mom and I both follow her recommendations now, and we both regularly get compliments on our skin - it really is worth a shot.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/22/2008 2:23:49 PM
Author:MaggieB

Thanks,
Maggie
Hi Maggie,

I''m 42 and have done it all!! As a matter of fact, I just had TCA applied to my chin and right cheek on Wednesday. I was not brave enough to do my whole face because of all the down time. I had it applied to my cheek for hyperpigmentation and to my chin for acne scarring. Don''t plan on going out in public for about 5-7 days if you do a chemical peel, but I think it''s going to work on the pigmentation. I wouldn''t do thermage, because I''ve heard horror stories. I''ve had a series of microdermabrasion and i really never noticed much of a difference, same with the facials. Those procedures are nice, but very superficial and not aggressive enough for me.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Maria

MaggieB

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everybody
1.gif
Great tips! I went out and bought a fish oil supplement. That never occurred to me but makes sense, because essential fatty acids are so good for your skin.

I will definitely try to up my water. I don''t tan because I have that ugly blotchy pale skin that just gets ruddier and blotchier with sun. (You know - not pretty Nicole Kidman pale!) Sadly, I grew up in Florida in the pre-sunscreen days. My parents had an aloe plant so they thought they could just let us burn and the aloe would heal us at the end of the day. UGH
29.gif
I have so much sun damage it is awful. Plus my father has had several melanomas.

However, despite all my best efforts, no sun, Vitamin C during the day, mild glycolic at night, regular facials, time keeps marching on my face. I''ve had the same concerns about Thermage or anything with laser, just too much potential for things to go horribly wrong. I don''t want to look drastically different. I think I''m just going to focus on improving my skin tone and maybe try a TCA.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For acne hyperpigmentation, I use an AHA.

MaggieB

Brilliant_Rock
I use one too, Julie. Do you think yours is very effective? Which one do you use?

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
For hyperpigmentation I was prescribed EpiQuin Micro by SkinMedica, it is a combination formula of Retin-A and hydroquinone (a bleaching agent), but it is too strong for my skin. I had a bad reaction...or rather, I received a bad peel that burned my chin area and caused major browning of my chin area and scarring (which is evident in minute wrinkling around both sides of my chin) I was really upset and still want to faceplant the incompetent technician that botched the peel. But ultimately, we all have to assume the risk when seeking any quasi-invasive or risky procedure.

Genetics play a huge role in your skin. Thank gawd for digital photography.
31.gif

Personally, I am a huge fan of healthy eating, supplements, Lancome, and prayer.
28.gif

MaggieB

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Miraclesrule. I don''t think I am willing to take the risk. I guess I''ll try to keep up the fight the old-fashioned way.
2.gif

Just a side note, my fiance was given free reign over the photographer because he is REALLy into photography. He''s chosen a warts and all photojournalist who likes to show people as they really are, no glamour editing. My fiance does not understand why this would bother me
29.gif

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Maggie, I just thought I'd give you an update on the TCA peel I had last week. I only had it done on my chin and my cheek. My cheek had the brown spots... they're gone now and my skin in that area looks great. My chin has some acne pitting...it looks better, but I think I'm going to have it done again on my chin in a few months. I had the peel done by a plastic surgeon that I know and I trust. Let me know if you have any questions.

-maria

MaggieB

Brilliant_Rock
Maria, you don''t happen to live in the Central Florida area do you?

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/30/2008 8:29:15 AM
Author: MaggieB
Maria, you don''t happen to live in the Central Florida area do you?
Hi Maggie, I live in So California. I''m sure there are great doctors in Florida though. But, do make sure you have it done by a doctor. My doctor charges $500 for a full face peel.

-Maria

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Instead of fish oil, you may just want to eat fish. It is better to get the oils from the natural food than it is to get them from a supplement. If you DO take fish oil, I have heard that for women, it is best to keep it refrigerated b/c the effects work better when it is cold (something to do with where it digests). At any rate, here are some skin healthy foods to eat:

Salmon
Avacado
Water
Hot Green Tea or White Tea or Red Tea

Moisturize like mad in the morning and evening

Even if you aren''t tanning, make sure you use some form of SPF b/c the sun affects your skin even during your walk from a parking lot into a store.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results