shape
carat
color
clarity

Instruments for Ceremony

Which instrument (+ organ) for our wedding ceremony? (feel free to offer song selections)

• violin

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • saxophone (all three will have competent players behind them)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Well, I used to post on here a while back but ended up ruffling some feathers and headed out. But, come decision time for the wedding I am now having questions again, and frankly can't think of any group of people who would know better about weddings.

At the chapel where we will be getting married in Japan (oddly enough it is "authentic" mexican style hotel on the beach in December...lol...its actually pretty classy though). The chapel is a very relaxed atmosphere with light green walls and marble, with no direct religious paraphenelia, and you can see the beach and a large palm tree through the window behind the altar. A fairly small room.

There is a complimentary organist provided and we have our choice ofa violinist, flute player, or saxophone player to play during the wedding ceremony.

And so that comes to the big question for me, which instrument would you recommend that we choose. The only song I personally want to hear during the ceremony is Cannon in D Major (my favorite song) but other than that there are quite a bit to choose from. I would love some advice on that, as well as some advice on songs that you think might go well with the instrument of your choice.

Thank you for any advice you can give,

WorkingHardForSmallRewards

(and if you would like to see any pictures of the wedding location let me know and I can put some out there or direct you to them. Though I don't think I am going to roam too much in the rocky talky section anymore
2.gif
)

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I would definitely pick your music first and then figure out what you want as far as a musician. We wanted a brass trio and then it turned out that everything we picked was for strings...so we had to do a string trio and then add a trumpet (and add songs that were appropriate for trumpet). If you''re wanting Canon in D, I think I''d go strings...but it really depends on what else you''d like. IMO also, strings sounds best with organ. Flute is okay, and sax...uh..not sure how that would sound. My home parish has done organ concerts for as long as I can remember, and strings, trumpet, and/or flute are usually what you hear paired with organ.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your favorite instrument may not be best for your favorite music. I hold a Bachelor's degree in percussion but won't be having a xylophone or drum set going to town in the church.
2.gif
With that said, unless "Who Can It Be Now" is being performed the sax is going to be at a disadvantage with a lot of traditional wedding music.

The skill level of the performers is key too. Violin and flute are both lyrical and capable of carrying the load in the hands of professionals - but a merely "competent" violin player can be thorny to listen to. Strings would be most characteristic for the Pachelbel (usually four strings, unless you're a JerryC fan) but the flute would lend itself nicely to contemporary pop tunes... It's nice to have choices.

Suggestions. Where to begin? A lot of my college spending money came from gigging, which included singing at weddings, so many of the tunes I like best are vocal works. Ave Maria may be the most popular ceremony song performed, but the gamut runs from Bach to George Strait to Celine Deion. Really, anything goes as long as it's meaningful to you. You can google search for lists and I imagine a lot of people here will give great input.

On the subject, my favorite recessional is The Prince of Denmark's march, aka "Trumpet Voluntary" (traditionally played without the flourish at the beginning for weddings). It's a great exit tune. If no trumpet player is available most organists know how to make the most of it... I'd break a sax player's reeds if he wanted to play on this one.

And yes... Wedding site photos please.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Are you asking which instrumentalist works best playing with an organ? Because I''d say the violin hands-down. The flute would get swallowed up unless mic''ed (which I personally am not a fan of), the sax I think would have too biting of a timbre to match the organ, but I think the violin would work nicely.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2008 5:56:26 PM
Author: John Pollard
Your favorite instrument may not be best for your favorite music. I hold a Bachelor''s degree in percussion
DUDE!!! Me too!
23.gif
I knew I liked you.
2.gif

PS: Marimba would be gorgeous as a wedding soloist; it''d just suck to have to get it in and out of the building.
1.gif

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/26/2008 6:00:25 PM
Author: gwendolyn

Your favorite instrument may not be best for your favorite music. I hold a Bachelor''s degree in percussion
DUDE!!! Me too!
23.gif
I knew I liked you.
2.gif

PS: Marimba would be gorgeous as a wedding soloist; it''d just suck to have to get it in and out of the building.
1.gif
Cool Gwendolyn! Are you involved in music? I still teach and play on the side. You aren''t kidding about marimba-movement. At my first teaching gig the doors were all standard size...you know the 32" timp dance I trust.
2.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
With that said, unless ''Who Can It Be Now'' is being performed the sax is going to be at a disadvantage with a lot of traditional wedding music.
Coffee in keyboard
9.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2008 10:02:29 AM
Cool Gwendolyn! Are you involved in music? I still teach and play on the side. You aren''t kidding about marimba-movement. At my first teaching gig the doors were all standard size...you know the 32'' timp dance I trust.
2.gif
Well I''m currently in England finishing up my master''s degree in special ed, but before coming here, I taught and played on the side as well. After I finish my degree in July, I''ll be working in England for a year, then my boyfriend and I plan to move to the US and then I''ll probably get back to teaching privately and playing gigs now and then.
1.gif

Oh, and of COURSE I know the 32" timp dance! Way too many narrow doors in the world, so Bubba and I have gotten very close over the years.
2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I voted violin. Just about anything sounds good on one of those! We had a harpist. I loved it.
emnote.gif

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I''m a flute and sax player, but I voted for the violin. Flute does better with piano behind it rather than organ, and unless you''re really into jazz I don''t think the sax would work well either.

A big thanks to everyone that responded. I think everyone was right to think that the saxophone would be too loud in the small chapel, and, well, maybe with a piano the flute would work better. I appreicate the advice, pending the final muscial selections (which might actually push us towards the flute as Japan seems to appreciate more modern pop songs, as JQ was mentioning in regards to the flute, in their wedding ceremonies) I will probably take everyones advice on here. Now, for some pictures if the wedding location, I cant very well let Mr. Pollard down now can I

sides and back.JPG

above pictures are Left side, back wall, right side

below pictures are two of the view looking towards the front of the chapel

chapelpalm.jpg

the pictures below from left to right

the front

the front from the inside

the hallway leading to the chapel

some pictures out a couple of windows taken last Jan.

luiganscompilation1.JPG

the party room, (we went to a flower fair in the 2nd and 3rd, but we are haivng the wedding in Dec. so we cant decide yet

luiganscompilation2.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results