shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! I need an outfit for interviews in Manhattan!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

darkeyesredshoes

Shiny_Rock
I know I tend not to chime in very much, but I''m a die-hard PS reader - especially when I''m supposed to be writing papers. I''m about to finish my MA in gifted education, which means it''s time to start applying and interviewing for teaching positions in NYC. Before grad school, I taught in the Boston area for several years, which essentially means that all of my interview-ish clothes are old and I''m paralyzed with dread. I''m particularly worried about looking good because this past year has taught me that lots and lots of people in New York put thought and effort into dressing themselves. Oh dear.

With that being said, I''m hoping that you ladies will help me figure out what to wear because I''m feeling pretty rusty. I don''t have any interviews scheduled yet, but I''m pretty sure I''ll be going to some in May and June. Please help!

Here are my priorities:

1. Finding the right sort of suit. I''m close to 5''9" and, while usually a size 12, I''ve inched toward size 14 thanks to my awesome grad school dietary habits. Any suggestions on color, style, and designer will be gratefully accepted. My budget has room for J. Crew, Banana Republic, or Ann Taylor, but not Chanel.

By the way, what kind of shirt should I wear under the suit? Typical oxford with a collar? I see lots of suiting with cute camisoles, but I''ve got lots of cleavage and I don''t want to show that much skin.

2. Shoes? I don''t wear many heels because I''m already pretty tall and they tend to make my toes numb. I''ve been wearing the same pair of d''orsay pumps into the ground since my first interviews after college, so it''s probably time for a change.

3. Bag! Whee! This is the fun part. rainydaze''s Coach thread got me thinking about this. I need a bag that''s big enough to hold my portfolio (9x12) and my resumes and whatnot. I found the Coach Gallery Tote online and thought it was cute and professional, but I''m not sure how big it would be. My budget for that probably shouldn''t exceed $500. Frankly, it shouldn''t exceed $300, but I don''t know what I could get in that range.

Thanks to anybody who''s gotten this far and still wants to help! I''ll be writing a paper (well, three papers) today, but I''ll check in as often as I can. Probably more often than I should.
2.gif

coachgallerytote.jpg

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Found this at Ann Taylor. Because you''ll be looking during warmer months, thought of starting out with a light colored suit first.
Pay less attention to the green colors and more to the styles.

figisuitanntaylor.JPG

darkeyesredshoes

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Starset! Those shoes are super cute, green or no. I''ll try to get to an Ann Taylor to try that on when I get a break later this week. What do you think about the bag situation?

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I think you should consider a suit with a skirt. At your height, it will be easier to find something that fits and with legs as long as yours must be, a skirt, especially a pencil skirt, would be killer. Something like this http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2873373/0~2376776~2374327~2374336~2383959?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=2383959&P=4

For shoes, a small heel is probably a good idea. A very pointed toe tends to be uncomfortable and a very rounded toe doesn''t look as professional. You might try companies based on making comfortable shoes. Something like http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/30372618/c/79921.html could be really nice.

I have no suggestions for bags since I literally own two purses and know nothing about them.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I would highly recommend checking with someone in your field in Manhattan to see what they recommend. Some fields are very conservative (where you need to wear a dark suit, preferably with a skirt) and other fields prefer you to be more creative.

My choice would be a basic black suit where you can get both a skirt and also slacks. Then it''s almost like having 2 suits. You can get different tops to wear underneath. My style is pretty conservative, so I would get a crisp blue dress shirt and also a couple of short sleeved silk knit sweaters from Banana or Ann Taylor in solid colors, maybe white or cream and a subtle pastel. You are right - don''t want to show cleavage at an interview with a camisole. Also, a short sleeve shirt means you can take the jacket off if you get warm and still look professional. I''d top off the ensemble with a classic and conservative necklace and earrings.

I am your same height and size 10/12 and was suit shopping a few months ago. I really like Banana Republic. They had a great black suit that I really want to buy! I think their fabrics are nicer than others in the same price range. They use wool, which I much prefer to the synthetics.

The right fit is so important. You can have the suit slightly altered for skirt length, pants length etc. In fact some stores include this in the price of the suit purchase, if you ask.

For the bag, I''d get something that will be good for the interview and also for carrying your stuff to/from work in the future. I really like some of the work bags at Coach and Cole Haan!

Good luck on your interviews - I am jealous you are moving to Manhattan!

darkeyesredshoes

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Brazen! I was kind of thinking of TanDogMom''s skirt/pants strategy already, so I''ll keep an eye out for pencil skirts.

TDM, my confusion stems from getting conflicting responses from people in my field. My professor interviews teachers all the time, and she seemed to think that I didn''t need to wear a suit at all because it would be too formal. My colleagues, on the other hand, leaned toward the basic black suit idea. I''ll try to collect some more opinions before I make such a big purchase.

I agree about being able to use the bag for work in the future. It''d be nice to have a laptop sleeve in it, but I''m not quite sure where else to look for that. I found this laptop bag by Talene Reilly, but I''d rather have something that''s all leather for longevity.

talenereillycate.png

sillybride

Rough_Rock
darkeyesredshoes...i love club monaco suits. they''re also made of light wool which i prefer over synthetics and have a GREAT fit. it may be worthwhile to head down to your closest store to check it out. btw, i believe they are within the $500 range
2.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm suit shopping is tough! I am tall like you, and busty as well. My only advice is DONT go with any 1 button jackets! They are cute but not for the well-endowed. I made that mistake once, never again! I love grey suits, I think they are so classy. With a light blue shirt underneath. I do not like button shirts for the same reason I do not like 1 button jackets, so when I interviewed I wore either high, straight across camis or I wore a thin short sleeved sweater type thing. Not much help on shoes, but I LOVE that bag you posted! Good luck!

darkeyesredshoes

Shiny_Rock
sillybride, I checked out Club Monaco's website and I'll definitely find one of their stores this weekend. Especially since I just found out that FI gets a huge discount there!
36.gif

Miscka, EXACTLY. I always have trouble with shirts pulling or gaping. I guess I'll either look for ones that are big and have them tailored or just stick with the cute little sweater idea. You ladies are the best!

darkeyesredshoes

Shiny_Rock
Tried editing but it didn''t seem to work. Which bag did you like, Miscka? I''d love something in a bright color, but I''m a little nervous about having to limit its uses due to my wardrobe.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
If you're looking for a business case, not a purse, try franklincovey!!!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
$129

Two exterior end pockets (with magnetic closures) for water bottles or cell phones

Pockets for pens, PDA, cell phone, change, and wallet

Quilted compartment that fits most 15.43 laptops

Large exterior pocket with magnetic closure

Zipper closure

Free coordinating wristlet (a $30 value)

Bag Dimensions: 16" W x 13" H x 4.25" D

rivierabusinesstote.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hey - I''m short but also busty, and I just got this jacket in taupe with the matching pants as a suit - they had a pencil skirt as well. It fit really well in the bust area because of where the buttons hit. I also got a black suit at Banana Republic. I got a couple of different sweater tops in pretty colors to mix and match - this style worked well, as did this one.

If you''re worried a wool suit would be too formal, I also found that their cotton suits fit like a dream, were super-comfy, and I think the black would be a great compromise between formal and slightly less formal - with the skirt and jacket and a bright sweater top, it looked really sharp.

HTH!

blissfulbride

Shiny_Rock
Go to express !

I landed a wonderful position on park avenue with a mint express skirt suit.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results