shape
carat
color
clarity

Outdoor Wedding Ressaurance Please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Could I get a little reassurance? I know I''ve got it before over the whole rain thing, now I need it over heat. FI is mailing the check tomorrow for the photographer and I am getting nervous now that we''re committing to more than one vendor. Okay, so I don''t do the best in heat. I can handle it, I am just lazy and tend to stay in AC. I booked a wedding in June . . . outside. I am crazy.
23.gif
It is at 6pm which helps, but could I just get some reassurance that I will be fine standing outside for like 30 minutes and I won''t be gross and drenched in sweat or something? I don''t sweat a ton, I just have all these fears popping up! Like what if I pass out, what if this happens, what if that happens? Any way to get myself used to heat? Would hanging out outside help? I mean when I''ve been forced to be outside for long periods of time I always adapted. I am just so afraid something will go wrong! I don''t want to change the date now, but I need to be 100% sure before I send the check. Ahh help!
39.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Ok, it was about 95 degrees at my outside wedding... in October! Here''s what helped me!

1) Wear your hair up. You may want to wear it down, but it will probably melt. You should wear it up.

2) Stay inside until you have to be outside.

3) Buy some cleavage coolers! These kept me cool and calm!

4) Wear some quik-wik shorts under your dress instead of underwear. Not the sexiest thing but you will stay cool and dry and then you can slip into something nicer after.

5) Tuck some hankies into your bra to dab the sweat if you need to.

6) If you can, serve your guests something cold to drink before the ceremony. This was highly appreciated at our wedding. I think it was peach iced tea or something like that.

Hopefully it won''t be too hot, but these tips will definitely help you keep your cool!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW. Sumbride rocks! Cleavage coolers! WHO KNEW!! Bow down before... SUMBRIDE!
23.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Cleavage coolers are the best thing ever! All my bridesmaids used them too! I still have some in my freezer and I actually wore one on the way to a job interview. It really cools you down and calms you.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Oooh thank you Sum!!
36.gif
36.gif
I will have to try these. Do they drip or anything? So you just freeze them and wear them? What a great idea! Wooo!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know right? Those look like the ultimate secret weapon Sumbride. I''m going to go for some of those as well! Indoor or outdoors I''m almost always hot and overheating.

Can you tell me about the quik-wik shorts? I''ve never heard of that!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t have any dripping problems. The gel pack is surrounded by absorbent fabric, so that would absorb any condensation and it protects your skin. Just freeze them and pop one in your bra, right between the girls. It really cools off your whole body. They come in a 2 pack so you can wear one while you''re getting ready and another after that one melts.

Also you might want to start using Certain-dri about a month before to make sure you aren''t sweating on your dress. Secret Clinical Strength is ok too but the certain-dri worked better for me.

Gypsy - the quik-wik shorts are designed for athletes, but you can find underwear made out of the fabric. It kept my thighs from sweating/rubbing and just made sure I didn''t have sweat dripping down my legs. Google and you should be able to find some. Mine were from Junonia... they do womens sizes.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. You are my hero. It''s official. You really thought through this overheating sweating on wedding day thing. I was just going to stress through it. LOL.

Thank you Sumbride! I will definitely use the certain-dry and look into the shorts AND get the cleavage coolers (although I probably shouldn''t have mentioned those to John, he''s probably going to ask me if my cleavage is icy cool during our wedding
37.gif
just to make me giggle).

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Ditto!
36.gif
36.gif

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Day-um, I have gots to get me some of these! Next time I'm a summer bridesmaid, here I come with the cleavage cooler!

The outdoor wedding will be fine. My one suggestion would be to stress the weather and SUN to your guests, we had quite a few bad sunburns at our party because people didn't put on hats or sunscreen (I don't know why?)

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Make sure you are not dehydrated from the activities earlier in the day or the night before. Drink a lot of fluids and don''t starve all day. I love the cold drink idea for the guests!! Even just glasses of ice water.

I think it has become an acceptable but really tacky thing to see people drinking out of water bottles everywhere they go. So have a table set up with cold drinks in paper cups so people can drink and then discard the cup.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
ditto everyone else''s ideas--brilliant ladies! have you picked out programs yet? getting some of the fan programs might help with keeping guests cool as well. as for you worrying about passing out, drink plenty of fluids, and for the love of jimmy choo, DON''T LOCK YOUR KNEES!! i was a chorus nerd in high school, and i can''t tell you how many people i''ve seen fall like a tree in the forest because of that! keep one foot slightly in front of the other and your knee mildly bent, and passing out usually won''t happen because your body is in a position to absorb a shift in motion even if you were to start to, so you''d be able to catch yourself. i''ve also heard that dipping a hankie in icy cold water and wringing it out really well is great for dabbing at your face should you get overheated. it''s discreet enough that people''d think you had teared up a bit, but it''d cool ya down some, too, and you can hold it along with your bouquet so it''s not noticeable. hope this helps!

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
BTW--i''m getting married in october in georgia, so i''m with ya, hon! just look on the bright side--absolute worst, you pass out and have a wonderful man there to catch you before your sweaty self hits the ground.
9.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sum -- thanks for that list! I'' definitely going to check out the things you mentioned.

I''d have bottled water out for your guests. Drink lots yourself too!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Woohoo hydration! I am going to check and see if the venue can help us out at all with the water idea. Like where to set it up, etc. They have someone at the door at all times, so maybe we could set it up on the way to the ceremony and they could offer it to people before they go through the door if that makes sense. So great idea! And thanks for the not passing out advice Doodle! I''ve never actually passed out before, but I''ve come close. Most recently was last summer in August at a football game. I was walking up to the entrance to leave the game. It was in the upper 90s like 98 degrees and the stadium actually ran out of water.
20.gif
So all I had was one bottle of water and a soda for hours sitting in 98 degrees. I should have left earlier, but I am silly and a die-hard football fan. I''ve sat there in the rain, etc. Anyway, I was walking up to leave and all of the sudden my ears started ringing and everything was just fading away. I looked at FI and I was like, "Umm I can''t hear you anymore.." And he was like huuuh? And then a paramedic spotted me and grabbed me and made me sit down in their a/c room. And turns out my blood pressure had gone way too low. Since then I''ve been afraid of passing out!
14.gif
I hated that feeling! But anyway, 30 minutes in the sun at 6 pm and like 4 hours in the sun during the hottest part of the day are completely different. So I''m being silly.
5.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I was a 90 degree outdoor bride, too! And we survived! :)

I hung out with my dad and my bridesmaids in the limo under an AC vent until the second we started walking - I felt FINE for the ceremony. DH was a little warmer...

BE mineral veil - have some sort of powder to absorb sweat and your makeup will stay on. I reapplied before photos and the reception and my makeup stayed!

Wrap a hankie around your bouquet. It kept my palms dry. When DH and I were holding hands during our ceremony, he was able to sortof clasp around my bouquet and wipe off his hands as well.

Make sure groomsmen carry hankies as well.

I thought about doing fans for programs, but people just used the programs as fans anyway and it was cheaper that way.

WATER - have water for guests AFTER the ceremony as well - especially for everyone who stays for photos. The people who waited after were the most parched and agitated. Make sure your caterer has water out and already poured when people make it to the reception.

DO NOT have a long list of photos after the ceremony. People will not be focused anyway, so make sure your photographer has a list, stick to the list, and hurry things along. Our photog was GREAT at doing the minimal for posed photos.

I''d skip the receiving line at the ceremony. I didn''t want a ton of sweaty hugs - I love my parents and in-laws, but the sweaty hugs during the ceremony were enough for me! We marched down the aisle and went straight to the limo, cooled off, took some photos in a different area in the park, and returned for photos with our readers, ushers, families, etc.

If you''re seating guests in the sun, understand that they won''t want to sit until the last minute.

OR - don''t seat guests in the sun if you can swing it. It''s OK to have a lopsided seating plan if everyone is happy. Unfortunately a lot of people tried to tough it in the sun out on the groom''s side - including DH''s grandparents which I felt horrible about. We had planned to seat them with my grandparents but they arrived late and sat in full sun (and not even in the appropriate row). Seating was a mess, seriously, because no one would sit until practically when the mothers and grandparents were being seated. After hearing about other outdoor, hot weddings, apparently, this is normal.

Another warning: do realize too that your guests will likely be wearing sunglasses in most of your photos. My SBIL looks like a big bug in the background of half of our pictures. Oh well.

OH! If your parents or grandparents wear transitions lenses, ask them to remove them for photos (if you''re comfortable doing that) or see if they have a different pair they can wear, since those will appear like sunglasses as well.

There are things about the outdoor wedding that are a bit of a PITA - BUT I still wouldn''t have pulled the wedding inside. Our photos are BEAUTIFUL, our wedding was beautiful...while our families will tell anyone who will listen about how horribly hot it was, when you look at our pictures, if I told you it was 70, you''d believe me. It looks like the absolute most perfect day (and you know what? It WAS the perfect day!).

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to say thank you for all the great tips!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I am feeling a lot better about the whole outdoor wedding thing.
10.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Another question! I know Elmorton recommended BE, but any other make-up advice as well? Just looking for as many options as well. I realized today that I am totally going to need sweat-proof make-up. For some odd reason the only place where I really sweat on my face is above my lip. It''s weird, but it''s always been that way. Oh and a bit near my hairline. Anyway, all make-up tips welcomed!

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Sarah -

Okay, I have no makeup tip, but I just have to say - complete threadjack - how cute you are. I''ve been following your threads from picking a venue to worries about outdoors and I''ve stayed out of it because I''m completely biased. I got married at L.G B. Gardens, outside, and it was phenomenal. Everything. You are putting so much thought and work into this and have picked an amazing venue, I am sure it will be a dream.

Now, just so you know, our weather was PERFECT. 72ish. Sunny, lightly breezy, warm, no humidity. Birds singing. (Literally) Got married in the evening and even at 10 pm the weather was what we now refer to as "wedding day weather." Perfect. Our date - April 25th. The weekend before, it rained buckets. Even if it rained buckets on whatever day you pick, they have amazing indoor area overlooking the gardens (as you know) and it will still be gorgeous!! And if you end up inside in June, you will have A/C!
1.gif

Hugs hugs! It''s going to be so beautiful. 10 years later our guests STILL bring up our wedding and how it was the nicest they''ve ever been to - honestly, can you ask better reassurance?!
35.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Ty so much!
36.gif
36.gif
Ooh so nice to find someone who actually got married there! It is awesome that the weather was so nice and everyone loved it so much, send me some PS dust for the same! Then again, like you said, it''s a great place so it helps definitely. Ahh 72 degrees that''d be nice! I got a bit freaked out again this week since it''s going to be like 100 here, but hey whatever. I''ll survive, yep.
5.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Be really careful drinking alcohol in the heat - especially if it's very sunny as well.

I had a glass of champagne at a friend's wedding in Italy last year. It was unbelievably hot, and I ended up with a mega-migraine and having to go to bed for 2 hours (luckily we were all staying at the villa where the wedding was).

I'm serving fizzy elderflower for the non-drinkers and it's all I intend to consume on the day!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Sarah I dont know where you live, but I just went to an outdoor wedding (6pm) and reception in Austin, TX last weekend, and while it was technically May (May 31st) it was so hot. DH and I were late for the ceremony and only caught the last two min which turned out to be a good thing b/c it was so hot. Anyway if this is what you are doing please try to make it as comfortable as possible for your guests...no one wants to be hot and sweaty, especially in their nice clothes. Anyway they did hand out cold bottled water the guests as they arrived for the ceremony and did have some large fans set up in the reception area. But I would invest in some hand paper fans or something.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
Sumbride, how big are the cleavage coolers? I can''t find it anywhere on their site, but the one photo of the heart shaped one has me wondering if they might be too big to tuck between my not so big girls.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I went with the rectangular one and I''d say maybe an inch and a half across? The worked fine for us and we had all sizes represented. The heart one does look bigger though, so I don''t know about that. The lady was easy to email, so you might want to ask her that way.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Sara, just thought of you. My sister went to a wedding this weekend and their programs were ON THE WATER BOTTLES! She said it was totally fabulous and she is a Manhattan snob. I say that with love, but she can be brutal if she thinks something is not ok. She was wondering if it could be done with vitamin water or something like that in the colors of the wedding. There are probably companies out there that customize for you, or just print at kinkos and get the paper cut, use a glue gun...presto! relief for outdoor guests. Just an idea for you cutie!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Swimmer! Thank you so much for posting this! I am definitely going to check into it, very exciting!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
5.gif

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Sarah,

I don''t have any suggestions for you, but I wanted to say good luck with the heat and great planning on your part to start thinking about it now! I rarely ever get hot, so I can''t really help there, but I am totally going to buy those cleavage coolers for FI because she is constantly hot. Your post made me think of her and her aversion to heat!

I''m actually afraid that I will be chilly at our outdoor wedding in MA May weather, but I''m used to that sort of thing.

It seems like you got some awesome suggestions from everyone here!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
MAC Blotting powder. After the ceremony, simply brush some over you face and it will absorb and sweat and glistening.

Alternatively you can use those oil blotters, but the MAC blotting powder is awesome. I just forgot to buy it for the wedding.

You will be fine at a 6 p.m. That is what time my daughter''s was and it worked out great, except they didn''t have enough lighting for pics.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Wear open toe shoes is the best advice I can give as a floridian who is used to heat. And drink plenty of water. I know that''s a given but honestly it saves lives
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results