shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
And a close up of the George VI Victorian Necklace.

GeorgeVIVictorianNecklace.jpg

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 12:56:04 AM
Author: LadyAmythyst69

The ruby and diamond necklace was bought by the Queen from Sothebys in 1964 and the center pieces can come off to wear as brooches or in the hair.

I haven''t come across that particular factoid about the centre pieces. Can you provide a source for me please so I can see if I have the book?

While I think the rubies themselves are gorgeous, I''ve always thought this necklace was a thrown together piece - like an original shorter necklace had the earrings (side pieces) and matching brooch (centre piece) inserted.

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 1:06:28 AM
Here''s the Burmese Ruby Tiara.

Don''t get me started on this one - please!

I refer to this tiara as the ''Tiara for the Royal Fireworks'' and always imagine that Handel plays in the background when she enters the room wearing this one. lol...

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 9:34:05 AM
Author: emeraldeyes

Date: 3/7/2008 12:56:04 AM

The ruby and diamond necklace was bought by the Queen from Sothebys in 1964 and the center pieces can come off to wear as brooches or in the hair.

I haven't come across that particular factoid about the centre pieces. Can you provide a source for me please so I can see if I have the book?

While I think the rubies themselves are gorgeous, I've always thought this necklace was a thrown together piece - like an original shorter necklace had the earrings (side pieces) and matching brooch (centre piece) inserted.
It was in Field - you kind of have to search for it because there is no heading entry for that piece - just a photo with the info. The photo is on the page for the True Lover's Knot. I know Field is sometimes inaccurate but I have the updated book where I think most were corrected. I think that probably explains your sense of this looking like a thrown together piece though!

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 9:36:12 AM

Date: 3/7/2008 1:06:28 AM
Here''s the Burmese Ruby Tiara.

Don''t get me started on this one - please!

I refer to this tiara as the ''Tiara for the Royal Fireworks'' and always imagine that Handel plays in the background when she enters the room wearing this one. lol...
LOL that''s a perfect description! Now I''m going to see fireworks whenever I see this tiara too.
9.gif

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 1:00:30 AM
Here''s a photo of the Queen in the ruby tiara. I think the design is supposed to resemble lotus flowers. She used 96 rubies which were given to her (set as a necklace) by the people of Burma on her wedding. The number 96 in Burmese culture is supposed to protect the wearer from illness.

Emeraldeyes - do you recognise the large bracelet? I couldn''t decide if I knew which one it was or not. Also - what is the order/decoration that is hanging off the end of the sash?

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
The bracelet is probably the same one as mentioned in my Field on page 140, and is worn with this other ruby necklace and earrings.

Thanks LadyA for the source. It seems I am working from a different (older) edition of Field.

rubyplaquebr.jpg

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 2:52:28 PM

- what is the order/decoration that is hanging off the end of the sash?

It's the badge of the Order of the Garter - made of cameo and enamel and orginally made for Geoge IV.

garterbadge.jpg

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
She can also choose to wear this Garter badge if she wishes. Originally made for George IV (again - hey he liked to sparkle...) and given as a wedding present to Prince Albert by Queen Victoria. Queen Victoria wore it after the Prince Consort''s death.

Info for this and the previous post supplied by the Royal Collection website.

garterbadgetoo.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 8:38:24 PM

The bracelet is probably the same one as mentioned in my Field on page 140, and is worn with this other ruby necklace and earrings.

Thanks LadyA for the source. It seems I am working from a different (older) edition of Field.
Ahh - that''s what I thought - but it seems there isn''t any specific info on it.
7.gif

I have the updated paperback version of Field if that helps any...

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 8:40:45 PM

Date: 3/7/2008 2:52:28 PM

- what is the order/decoration that is hanging off the end of the sash?

It''s the badge of the Order of the Garter - made of cameo and enamel and orginally made for Geoge IV.
OOOh thanks for the picture! Aren''t the badges beautiful!

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 8:44:49 PM
She can also choose to wear this Garter badge if she wishes. Originally made for George IV (again - hey he liked to sparkle...) and given as a wedding present to Prince Albert by Queen Victoria. Queen Victoria wore it after the Prince Consort''s death.

Info for this and the previous post supplied by the Royal Collection website.
They are much larger in real life than they seem in these photos aren''t they? No wonder Queen Victoria was able to purloin the diamonds off one for that massive necklace! I''m going to have to read up on these...

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Yes, it''s true that the photos make them seem they are quite small. I wonder what a piece like that might weigh?

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Since we''re sort of on the subject of George IV, this is the George IV State Diadem - made circa 1820 and meant to be worn by him at his coronation (not, apparently as the crown per se, but as a sort of diamond hat band). A last minute change of mind resulted in his not wearing it after all. It has never been worn by a king, only by Queens and Queens Consort. HM QEII is depicted wearing this piece on many postage stamps, coins and paper money, so it is likely the most commonly recognized piece of royal jewelry. It is not a crown.

Field describes it thusly:
"The completely circular diadem has four crosses pattée set with diamonds, representing St. George, the front one with a rare honey-coloured diamond in the centre; and four diamond bouquets incorporating roses, thistles and shamrocks, the emblems of the United Kingdom. The diamond scrollwork band, remounted for Queen Alexandra in 1902, is framed between two rows of pearls - eighty one in the upper row and and eighty-eight in the lower. "

I think the floral bouquets are beautifully executed. Do you think anyone would notice if I nicked one?
emotion-40.gif

statediadem.jpg

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
This is the Williamson pink diamond jonquil brooch. The massive pink diamond at its centre was a gift to HM from a loyal Canadian subject. Originally over 54 carats, it was cut to a 23.6 carat brilliant. (seems that was bit of carnage but I suppose the rough stone might not have cleaved well or some such thing...) The brooch itself is 4 1/2 inches long and is set in platinum.
IIRC HM has worn it to most, if not all, of her childrens' weddings.
I thought some of you diamond gals (and guys) just might appreciate this one on a very deep level.

will.jpg

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Yeah! Close ups of Orders and Garters! That''s what I''ve been dying to see...thanks for that!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
This is probably a dumb question, but what are the technical differences between a crown, a tiara and a diadem?

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/7/2008 11:14:40 PM
This is the Williamson pink diamond jonquil brooch. The massive pink diamond at its centre was a gift to HM from a loyal Canadian subject. Originally over 54 carats, it was cut to a 23.6 carat brilliant. (seems that was bit of carnage but I suppose the rough stone might not have cleaved well or some such thing...) The brooch itself is 4 1/2 inches long and is set in platinum.
IIRC HM has worn it to most, if not all, of her childrens'' weddings.
I thought some of you diamond gals (and guys) just might appreciate this one on a very deep level.
I never realized that the center was pink - cool!

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/8/2008 2:41:59 PM
Author: gwendolyn
This is probably a dumb question, but what are the technical differences between a crown, a tiara and a diadem?

Not dumb at all.

If I had to describe the difference, I would say that the terms ''tiara'' and ''diadem'' are almost interchangeable really. I think diadems are supposed to be smaller than tiaras - so while a tiara may form a complete circle around the head of the wearer, a diadem may only go part of the way around.
A crown on the other hand would be a piece that actually symbolises sovereignty or that is used in a coronation.

Anyone want to augment this?

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/8/2008 4:20:02 PM

I never realized that the center was pink - cool!
Unfortunately the picture doesn''t really do the colour justice.

Just for laughs, can anyone of you diamond connoisseurs give an approximate value for a pink diamond of that size?

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Camilla and Prince Charles have been visiting the Carribean this week - cruising around the different isalnds. Here are some of the jewels Camilla has worn so far...

I think the clasp on this necklace is amethyst.

camilla3-7-08.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Another look at the necklace and also the heavy gold link bracelet she has been wearing everywhere. Also a good look at the size of her ering!

camilla3-7-08a.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
On another one of the formal occasions she wore this necklace with a massive aquamarine clasp.

camilla3-2008.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
For day time she has worn this flower brooch (I forget what that type of flower is called - anyone??) - she has worn this one before.

camilla3-7-08b.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Camilla with her ering and the gold link bracelet.

camillacarribean.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
And another look at the bracelet and ring.

camilla3-2008d.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
An this is one of Princess Mathilde''s recent looks. I have no idea what this necklace is made of but I like it!

mathilde3-6-08.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results