shape
carat
color
clarity

My dads just been taken into hospital

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Bee, I'm so sorry for your angst, but do try not to be alarmed.

When I read your initial post and hadn't seen your later posts, the first thought that came to my mind was 'kidney stone'. My husband had one last year, and it was perhaps the scariest thing ever. Within 20 minutes, he went from mildly uncomfortable to experiencing the worst pain of his life, and I was just scared out of my wits.

Once in the emergency room, though, they were able to treat the pain effectively. It can take a while to pass them, so if that's it, they may give him a script to help him manage.

Please let us know when you know for sure....we'll be sending thoughts and prayers for you.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I hope all is well and your Dad has relief from the pain very soon.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Yikes, Bee, hoping for the best for your Dad. If it is a kidney stone (my sis had one), they are breathtakingly painful but once it passes it''s like flipping a switch - no more pain. Good luck and keep us updated.

Gemma12

Brilliant_Rock
Bee, thoughts and prayers going out to you and your dad. I hope he''s okay! Hugs sweetie!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Oh Bee, our prayers are with you and your Dad!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Concerned about your dad...prayers for good news...and support for you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2008 12:31:31 AM
Author: Allison D.
Bee, I''m so sorry for your angst, but do try not to be alarmed.

When I read your initial post and hadn''t seen your later posts, the first thought that came to my mind was ''kidney stone''. My husband had one last year, and it was perhaps the scariest thing ever. Within 20 minutes, he went from mildly uncomfortable to experiencing the worst pain of his life, and I was just scared out of my wits.

Once in the emergency room, though, they were able to treat the pain effectively. It can take a while to pass them, so if that''s it, they may give him a script to help him manage.

Please let us know when you know for sure....we''ll be sending thoughts and prayers for you.
Ditto Alj!!! Please keep us posted Bee, I have seen someone suffering from a kidney stone, they are dreadful things.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Hope you get some good news, bee-star! I''ll be sending positive vibes your way.

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Bee, I hope your Dad is feeling better this morning and that it was nothing too serious. I hope all is well for you too, I''m sure you must be so worried.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hope everyone is holding up Bee. I know how scary these things are. I am praying for your Dad. xx

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just checking in for news, bee*. I am thinking of you and your father and I hope that he has been diagnosed and successfully treated for the problem he had. I am so sorry.

Deb
34.gif

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Sending you positive vibes for this to be diagnosed and treated quickly and easily. Stay strong, sweetie!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hi Bee, any updates? Hopefully it is a kidney stone and will pass quickly. These days I think they even have special lasers that break them up so that you pass them faster.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
So sorry to hear about this, Bee...Sending your dad get well vibes.....I hope he feels better soon!
1.gif

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Hey bee, hoping things are continuing to look up! Any updates?

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
hey bee- hope the newest news is positive. sending good vibes your way!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey, thanks so much for all the posts-they''ve brought tears to my eyes reading them. There''s not a huge amount really to report. When he was brought in last night they checked him out and he was given pain relief. They didn''t really do anything else for the rest of the night with him and then today he was x-rayed and nothing showed up so they had to x-ray him again with a contrast dye and a blockage has showed up in his ureter. I''m hoping it''s a stone but they''re waiting for the urologist to do the rounds and because it''s a sunday they''re not sure what time he''ll be coming at (typical Irish health system!). So no news at all really. My dad is the biggest wuss so his first thoughts when he heard that there is a blockage were all very bad ones, but I''m hoping that it''s not serious. Just wish we knew for definite but it could be tomorrow before we find out.

Thanks again everyone-the posts really mean a lot to me.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m so sorry you don''t know more by now, bee*. I was sure that someone would have diagnosed the problem by now. I don''t know why I was so sanguine, perhaps because the pain came on so swiftly and severely. That sounded like an emergency, not some hidden little problem that might take eons for experts to figure out.

I have been there with my parents. My mother had a problem that had her ill for months and months before it was diagnosed and successfully treated a few months ago. Had she not been hospitalized I don''t think anyone would ever have diagnosed the problem, even though it was really not all that exotic. She just needed someone to focus on her!

At any rate, I will keep checking in, so please keep updating the thread. My thoughts will continue to be with you.

Hugs,
Deb
34.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hang in there Bee! I hope he is comfortable.
35.gif

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2008 1:32:30 PM
Author: bee*
H My dad is the biggest wuss so his first thoughts when he heard that there is a blockage were all very bad ones, but I''m hoping that it''s not serious.

1.gif
Nothing like the aftermath of intense pain to make you imagine the worst. I hope you''ve heard news by now, but I''ll keep you and your family in my prayers.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My thoughts are with you and your family.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Bee:" but it could be tomorrow before we find out"

You will find out tomorrow.Its not bad news that you have to wait till tomorrow.It means he can safely wait.It would be the best to know right away, but its not an option so just try to relax a bit , maybe your positive attitude will help those around you.I am sending you best wishes..
Please keep us posted..

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks again for all your replies. He''s definitely feeling a lot more comfortable-my mother just rang to say that he''s eaten eggs, bean and chips (probably not the best thing to be eating when you have a blockage
20.gif
!!). It would be great if they would just let him know when he will find out.

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2008 2:12:59 PM
Author: bee*
He''s definitely feeling a lot more comfortable

Oh, so glad! I agree with scarleta - the waiting means that they think he can wait. So it''s miserable to wait, but it''s kind of good news. Still, you''re right. It would be so much easier if you knew exactly how long you had to wait. {{sympathy}}

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2008 2:00:05 PM
Author: Lorelei
Hang in there Bee! I hope he is comfortable.
35.gif
Ditto. And thanks for updating us.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
bee, my thoughts are with you and your family. I hope your dad is relieved from the pain very soon!

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Bee, it is sounding more and more like a kidney stone.

It''s not uncommon to have difficulty finding it on the scans; most fairly small in nature, and the width of the ureter is equivalent to that of a single human hair. (It''s amazing what you end up learning when these things crop us).

I recall that they didn''t see the stone on Rich''s scan initially, either. They said "oh, it''s not that big - it''s only about 5mm".

In true PSer fashion, my eyes immediately fixated on my .30 e-ring side stones (which measure about 4.5mm) and then tried to imagine them stuffed into a human hair width.
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
I think I blanched after that!
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the update bee. I''m glad he is comfortable, and hope they figure this out soon!!!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
woohoo
36.gif
36.gif
Just had a text from my mam to say that they''re sending him home for the night on pain relief. He has to go back in tomorrow for an appointment with the urologist as they''re not sure what time he''d get to see him tonight. Thanks again everyone!

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear it, bee! Hopefully he will be able to rest easy tonight and they will figure it all out tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results