shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion please on a setting...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mandas

Rough_Rock
I posted previously regarding a 10 year anniversary ring and I am looking at just under a 1ct RB with trillion sapphires on the sides. I found this ring, but I am unsure about the setting. In particular, I am not sure about the diamond being set on the "post" in the center (see third picture zoomed)

http://www.jamesallen.com/products/item_382-1731_build.asp?module=setting

What do you think of the setting for a right hand ring? Too high?

Are there any other settings you might recommed?

Any success buying the diamond online and having it set in a setting picked out at a local jeweler?

Thanks in advance,
Amanda

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Maybe an expert could comment on that post thing. Personally knowing that a diamond was crunched between a pillar and a post or a rock and a hard place (prongs and post) I would be given a full body shiver if I thought about it. Just from the physics of one solid knock and there goes your culet. eeeehhhhh! See, full body shiver.
20.gif

As far as the height of the setting, you can have most settings tailored for height. Just ask the setter to set it as low as possible so that you don't knock it around a lot.

shay

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Yikes! I am not a fan of that setting, as noted above. I would go for something much lower and less scary!
23.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What IS that think sticking up against the culet?

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
That poor diamond must be in pain.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I have never seen a prong head like that before...and I''m wondering if there isn''t a good reason behind it...

Personally, like Shay said, I wouldn''t want some metal post sticking up on the tip of my diamond -- it honestly feels like a big old accident waiting to happen. The setting your considering is lovely, but I think you can do better! I think the "idea" of the ring is pretty common...you see the mixed stones often. If the site isn''t willing to work with you on the setting of the stone (ie: eliminating the post)...then you still have tons of options.

Good luck as you move forward...your taste in rings are lovely!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is the strangest thing I've ever seen...I would just call JA and see if they know why that's there, not that they could probably say anything that would relieve my fears. lol But I'd love to know the "reasoning".

Delster

Ideal_Rock
It loks like the diamond is just 'perched' there, surely that can't be the final setting? Maybe it's just set like that for the photo? I would think the diamond would sit snuggled into the prongs in the final setting, in the same way the sapphire sidestones are in the photo?

ETA - just saw your second post, and the centre stone in that one also looks way high compared to the sidestones. So maybe it really is meant to be that high and the post is for support! Wow. I've never seen stones set with a big gap between the stone and the prongs like that. Is that commonplace in the US?

I'm so rude - I forgot to say that I think that's a gorgeous style ring! I love pear sidestones and I love sapphires! Yummy!
30.gif
Sadly, three stones look 'wrong' on my hand. You lucky ducky!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looking at the 3D hand view, the center sits way too high for my personal taste. I''d want it much lower. Other than that it seems fine. Quality is tough to tell like this.

mandas

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replys. Does anyone have a suggestion or link to another setting with either trillion or pear sapphire sides?

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Is the budget $500?

This one from Blue Nile has round sapphires and is $650.
Two settings with diamond pears but you could ask for quotes for sapphire pears:
This one is from Whiteflash - it''s three times your budget for the diamond pears but it might be less with sapphire pears.
This is from the Natural Sapphire Company. The ladies on the coloured stones board seem to really rate their stones.

There''s gotta be lots more!

mandas

Rough_Rock
Thank you. The budget is $5K total and I would like a .90ct round diamond with an ideal or excellent cut. I am looking at no more than $1000 for the setting I think.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
I just opened another thread and there it was looking at me - I think urseberry''s ring is a solitaire version of the first one you posted? With the post in the bottom between the prongs?

Hopefully some more people will have setting suggestions for you!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results