shape
carat
color
clarity

iPhone - Do you have one?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
I''m just wondering who has an iPhone here. I am considering purchasing one shortly and wondering if it is worth the $400 price tag. I love gadgets, so I''ve been drooling at the iPhone ever since it came out.

I also have a MAC - and a .Mac membership. I assume that the iPhone will work seamlessly with my computer - so, that''s a another big reason why I want one!

Any convincing reviews (both the good and the bad) are needed!!!

Thanks!!!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Cleopatra! I don't have an iPhone yet, but I've been playing with them at the Apple store. (I also have a .Mac membership.) The applications are easy to figure out and use even without looking at an owner's manual. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the keyboard - it takes a lot of getting used to.

darkeyesredshoes

Shiny_Rock
I just stopped working for Apple in July, so I got an iPhone for free. Back when the price was higher, I told people that (although I really, really liked it) I probably wouldn''t have paid that much to get it. Since the price has dropped, though, I''d say go for it. I love the fact that it syncs seamlessly with my computer, and I really like only having to carry one gadget around with me for emailing, texting, phone calls, and listening to music. My only issue was that my headphones separated beneath the little microphone, but they swapped them at the Genius Bar for no charge. I''m planning on getting AppleCare for it so that I''ll be covered for two years.

Madam Bijoux, I totally agree with you about the learning curve for the keyboard. I''ve noticed that I''m much more accurate when I don''t actually try to touch the key, if that makes any sense. Barely hovering my finger over my intended keystroke tends to work better than trying to push my finger onto the key. The iPhone''s saving grace in this department is that it uses an algorithm to predict the word you were probably trying to type and it offers to correct your entry. This way, you can type "foamind" and it gives you "diamond" instead. That usually saves me a lot of frustration.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
my hubby has one and is very happy with it..

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My kids have it and are thrilled with it. They saved up for it this summer. DD is in college and uses it for eveything but also loves how it organizes her schedule.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have one, paid the pre-cut $600 price tag back in the very beginning of July. I loooooooooove it. (FI also has one--we, too, are gadget freaks.)

Honestly, the ONLY thing I miss about standard phones? Pushing buttons. I thought I was crazy ''til I mentioned this to my techie brother, but he said it''s actually a common problem with the iPhone. There''s a certain level of satisfaction we get out of tactile response that a touch-screen doesn''t offer.

Not that that comes close to outweighing the amazingness that is my iPhone
2.gif

ETA: You already know this, I''m sure, but it does have its limitations. If you want to use it like a Blackberry/Troe, DON''T GET IT. It currently does not have any document editing functionality, no games (beyond online), and third-party applications are limited to hacking the phone.

If you''re interested to hear from more iPhone users, this if a forum I frequented when I was learning all the features.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
My daughter wants one, but we were shocked by the monthly service cost through A T & T.

She uses texting in her business and needed unlimited texting, but the cost when we looked
it up was way more than we are spending for 3 phones through Verizon.

Perhaps the cost has come down, I would hope so, but maybe we were looking at
the wrong charts or something.

Can anyone clue me in on the costs? She would love to have one, but right now the
monthly cost seemed outrageous.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have the most basic plan you can get, and it comes to $70/month after tax, etc. Your daughter may have a plan with more texting included (mine allows only 250).

All internet access is included in the $20/month iPhone plan (which is on top of the $40/month service plan for calls and texts).

Before I switched to my iPhone, I was paying ~$65/month (after tax) for the base plan at Verizon.

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
My FI REALLY wanted one, but I didn''t want to switch to AT&T and we save a good deal of money being on the family plan together. Not to mention that we get a TON of free minutes via the Verizon to Verizon free stuff, and 95% of the people we know are Verizon customers, so that was another reason for me to not want to switch. So, that being said, he was disappointed but he agreed we would save more money that way. What I did instead was to get him the iPod Touch. This is like the iPhone in nearly every way, but there is no camera, and no phone feature. He still gets the internet via wi-fi, and we don''t have to pay a monthly fee for it. I found this to be a GREAT compromise. It satisfied his desire for the touch screen, neat gadget, but it let me stay with our cell plan that I''m very happy with and save money. SOOOO, I would consider the iPod Touch as a GREAT alternative, we have been very happy with it (I want one now too
9.gif
)

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Musey and BriBree

thanks. I just went back and revisited AT & T''s rate plans. Indeed it would be too much for her. Our costs now are around $180.00 for 3 phones. If she opted out and went with the iPhone, she would have to pay big bucks for her service. She''s better off letting mom and dad
pay for her cell service!!
2.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Well, for work I had to have a BlackBerry, but I do have one that''s still in the box. Nate''s dad works for AT&T and he sent us both one. I missed using a regular old flip phone, so I''ve been using my RAZR lately.

JoangA

Shiny_Rock
I have one and love it.. the only thing I miss is voice activation.. I believe I can pay more to AT&T, but it should be bundled in..

I also need a cool case, I found one, but at $200. I passed. I want something classy and fun!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2007 3:31:05 PM
Author: pennquaker09
Well, for work I had to have a BlackBerry, but I do have one that''s still in the box. Nate''s dad works for AT&T and he sent us both one. I missed using a regular old flip phone, so I''ve been using my RAZR lately.

Care to send your iPhone my way if you''re not using it?
17.gif

sera

Ideal_Rock
I want one! But I think I''ll wait for the 2nd generation.

I really need voice activation calling... I''m really surprised it''s not bundled! I would not want to pay another additional fee on top of texting fee and net fee and phone fee.... ugh... texting and net access is so common in phones it should really be included and not so many fees upon fees upon fees.... I actually prefer texting to talking on the phone. I have voice on my Cingular 8125 which I totally love and will be happy with until I move to an iPhone... I don''t think I could do without it... most times prior to it I would miss calls because I didn''t hear the phone ring or I would forget my phone somewhere... now with the bluetooth, I hear the phone, it alerts me when out of range and I can call without digging out my phone from somewhere in the abyss of my purse.

I am really curious what the 2nd gen will be like. I do love that the iPhone has the voice messages that you can select... that is so cool and helpful.

They look pretty thin (mine is a bit bulky with the sliding qwerty)... is it comfortable to use? Easy to hold and put in a pocket?

I''ve read the call quality is not super... true?

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
I have the "iphone killer" by Verizon. It''s called the Voyager. I wanted a smart phone but I also needed Verizon because it''s the only carrier around here that ALWAYS has service. I''ve had my phone a little over a month now and I absolutely adore it. It was worth every penny ($300). It looks like an iphone but opens up to a full QWERTY keyboard.

I would totally break an iphone because they seem so flimzy, but mine feels much more tough. I''ve dropped it quite a few times already
14.gif
and it''s fine!

Just my $.02

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/14/2007 6:57:24 PM
Author: sera
I want one! But I think I''ll wait for the 2nd generation.

I really need voice activation calling... I''m really surprised it''s not bundled! I would not want to pay another additional fee on top of texting fee and net fee and phone fee.... ugh... texting and net access is so common in phones it should really be included and not so many fees upon fees upon fees.... I actually prefer texting to talking on the phone. I have voice on my Cingular 8125 which I totally love and will be happy with until I move to an iPhone... I don''t think I could do without it... most times prior to it I would miss calls because I didn''t hear the phone ring or I would forget my phone somewhere... now with the bluetooth, I hear the phone, it alerts me when out of range and I can call without digging out my phone from somewhere in the abyss of my purse.

I am really curious what the 2nd gen will be like. I do love that the iPhone has the voice messages that you can select... that is so cool and helpful.

They look pretty thin (mine is a bit bulky with the sliding qwerty)... is it comfortable to use? Easy to hold and put in a pocket?

Sorry.
7.gif
I still want it!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2007 12:04:16 AM
Author: nebe

I would totally break an iphone because they seem so flimzy, but mine feels much more tough. I''ve dropped it quite a few times already
14.gif
and it''s fine!
Have you seen the drop-test videos of iPhones? Man, that thing''s tough. It doesn''t seem flimsy to me, even if I hadn''t seen the drop tests. I would have worried about scratches otherwise, though.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2007 6:57:24 PM
Author: sera

My husband really loves every thing about his. it''s a great size, thinner than my flip phone. he doesn''t put it in a pocket though. he''s got the carrying case and just uses that. he also has the vorizon Que and carries that around too. He did say using the keyboard takes some time, learning where to hit to get the letter or number you want to see, but after you get the hang of it, it''s fine. he''s had no problem with the call quality at all.

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/15/2007 5:16:37 AM
Author: musey

Date: 12/15/2007 12:04:16 AM
Author: nebe

14.gif
and it''s fine!
Have you seen the drop-test videos of iPhones? Man, that thing''s tough. It doesn''t seem flimsy to me, even if I hadn''t seen the drop tests. I would have worried about scratches otherwise, though.
No! I haven''t seen the tests. I went to the Apple store and played around with one for a while and it just wasn''t for me, I guess. I love my keyboard
31.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
My sister and fiance both have one and both of them love theirs. I''m jealous of theirs, too, but I''m waiting until my contract with TMobile is up before I buy one. The touch screen is very easy to use after you use it for a little while. Those two can write full e-mails on their iPhones with no problems.

Also, the iPhone is definitely not flimsy. My sister and my fiance have dropped theirs a few times each and both are fine. I think they''re more sturdy than regular phones, really.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results