shape
carat
color
clarity

For Widget.... A couple of questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

laplacz

Rough_Rock
This is for widget and anyone else who would like to chime in....

I recentley looked at your(Widgets) Leon project where you had purchaced some rough, had it cut and then set. I am considering the same type of project. I am very comfortable with the "setting " part. I found sources for some rough. I was wondering how you handled the cutting aspect? Would you mind posting some details about your project focusing on the selecting\sourceing of the rough and how you handled the cutting process???

Thanks

--JOE

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Widget did not buy the rough. The cutter bought it a while back, cut the rough then heated it. Widget bought it after it has been in the cutter's possession for a while.

I would not recommend getting your own rough. It is difficult to gauge the true colour, clarity and final weight of the stone unless you have lots of experience and the right tools. You will also not get a good price because cutters buy by the parcel. The rough has to be nearly IF and you need a good eye to be able to see through the rough to gauge its final colour. The cutter will normally get a 40% yield from the rough (depending upon the shape of the rough). The shape of the rough also somewhat dictates the final shape of the gemstone.

I have done custom cutting recently:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/colour-me-pink.61549/

Jeff sourced the stone for me. He had the option of using rough or recutting a native cut stone. I would suggest having the cutter handle this aspect as he is much more experienced. I also told him the approximate final size I wanted, sent him pictures of the colour I was aiming for and the shape I wanted. Jeff stepped up to the plate for me.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi...I just saw this..

Chrono''s right. I purchased that tourmaline from the cutter already cut, and only had pictures of it in its ''virgin state''.

If I were looking to have a stone custom cut, I''d look for the cutter first, and trust him/her to find suitable rough to fill my needs. I''d never presume to be able to select rough for a stone by myself...

The process can be great fun. I had an aqua cut for me to fit in a mounting I had and it was wonderful to be involved from start to finish

widget

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results