shape
carat
color
clarity

Soups and other comfort foods

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
I *love* soups of all kinds. Here's my easy chowder recipe:

1/2 lb. bacon
1 med. onion
1-2 stalks celery, cut into bite size pieces (optional)
2 cans creamed corn
1 to 1 1/2 qts water or broth (adjust amount as necessary)
4-5 med potatoes diced into chunks
1/4 - 1/2 c all purpose flour
1 pt. half & half
1/2 block butter
Salt & pepper to taste

Saute bacon, onion and celery until slightly browned. Add flour as though making a roux. Mixture will be thick. Do not leave your stove! Slowly add liquid and mix well until it is smooth. Add potatoes and bring to a slow boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are cooked. Add corn and bring to simmer again. Season & taste. Adjust as necessary. Add the half & half and stir until mixed well. Just before serving, add butter and stir in until it is melted. Top with seasoned croutons and serve immediately with a nice salad. Bon appetit!

Variations:
Diced shiitake mushrooms, soaked and sliced
Diced carrots
1-2 cans minced clams
Be creative, sky is the limit!!

Note: The thickening process is done at the beginning. I find this makes the consistency even and much less likely to "break" when you add the cream. I saw this method used on Food Network at a famous chowder house in Oregon and I have used it ever since. Works everytime.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results