shape
carat
color
clarity

Whats your favorite eara for jewelry design.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I would enjoy hearing what period of time the forum members are most drawn to or influenced by.My favorite periods are the edwardian period (tiffany and cartier platinum pieces that have diamonds,sapphires and rubies)i also love the art deco pieces made by cartier in the 1920-30s with inlayed corals,jades,oxyx,rock crystal,turquiose,and diamonds!I would collect pieces by Carl Fabrage or Lalique if they were affordable.I am drawn to Faberges eggs and his carved animals and Laliques dragon fly pieces!

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
I adore art deco and art nouveau - but in reality I would probably wear art deco more. I''ve recently started to like the weirdness of some retro pieces - I guess that''s 1940''s and 50''s? But for that era it would come down to the matter of the workmanship on each individual piece. I don''t like the style as a whole. I also love the arts and crafts style in furniture and design in general so I like jewelry inspired by that as well. I bet you could probably tell what style of jewelry a person would like if you asked them which artists (painters) they liked.
1.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
LadyAmy,
thanks for the post!I agree that a persons taste in furniture and art will influence tastes in jewelry and favorite eras...my tastes in art,furniture and clothes are as eclectic as my jewelry tastes.i also like the arts and crafts movement( ive read that L.C.Tiffany was partally to credit for the wide spread acceptance of this movement which was started by artists and furniture designers to fight against mass production of art objects years earlier!)The mission style of furniture(stickley&Co.)came about because of this movement and i would love a house full of Stickley mixed with my collection of american art pottery, and southwest indian objects to put in a home built by Frank Lloyd Wright!I found one of my favorite gold art nouveau inspired rings by chance at an antique fair...in the section reserved for farm and rance collectables,mixed amoung the old rusted tools, and barbed wire samples sat the ring.I was the only one showing any interest in this item so at the end of the day its owner brought down its asking price from $80(actual replacement value around $200) to $15!I wear it ofter and people get a smile about how i found it.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
I''m all about art nouveau!

I also like a lot of the Victorian styles - esp. Etruscan revival.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Art Deco & Edwardian.

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
I am all about Art Deco... and I adore Edwardian, as well.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
30.gif
How unfair, it''s like saying which child do you love more?!
39.gif

Although every single period had a subtle nuance that makes it different and unique from any other, I adore each. IF I had to choose though, I would have to say what best fits my style and me (aesthetically and personally) is Art Deco. I like mostly the Oscar Heyman created pieces and almost anything Cartier. Literally.

IMHO... Art Deco = Cartier

I can''t get enough of the diamond Onyx and Crystal pieces, or jade and coral. I have fallen in love with a set of Georgian diamond pave rings, I am enamored with an Edwardian pearl dog collar, and there is a Retro (Lady Amythyst69, you are right on the dates) bracelet by VCA that is could sell an organ for...

Honestly, it depends on the piece and how well constructed it is. Just having such pieces repaired, I have seen the work of some of the most gifted jewlers today, yet still they have trouble replicating the delicate work that was done by hand so many years ago which seems almost impossibe to recreate today with all our tools and technology. It''s something of a surprise frankly, but that explains why some things are worth that they are...

I am also partial to Cartier cigarette cases and vanities, Old diamond rings in cushion and asscher shapes, and diamond en tremblant brooches...
30.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Nicrez,
Rock on! I cant agree more ...art deco=cartier!I have been studying retro pieces by an italian duke turned jewelry designer...Vadura...are you familiar with his work?His retro enamaled and maltese cross bracelets or aquamarine winged brooches are worth giving an organ up for...Coco Chanal wore his jewels and made him famous from the 20s to the early 60s and his work is popular again today.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Sorry! The correct spelling for VERDURA...typing to fast.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Funny, I''m not even big on jewelry. But once I started lookin for an Ering I realized that my fave periods are Edwardian and Art Deco.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2007 11:51:57 AM
Author: jewelerman
Sorry! The correct spelling for VERDURA...typing to fast.
VERDURA IS HEAVEN! I first saw them at Bergdorf's and fell in love. I can't love Gabrielle Chanel anymore than I do, or it would be criminal. When I read a Vox article on Verdura's connection to her I almost died. Close, but I am still here, thank God! His real name was Fulco Santostefano della Cerda, and was the Duke of Verdura. The town of Verdura I hear is lovely! My friend summers there...(hate her just a little)

His cigarette cases commissioned for Cole Porter is what had me. My affinity for cigarette cases...

I believe they are now under the ownership of the Landrigan family, whom I hear nothing but positive things about. Steller designer, and they are maintaining his aesthetic throughout. Verdura has a book out as well which I recently purchased. To die for. As a matter of fact will be exhibiting some historic pieces in Houston at the Houston Museum of Natural Science starting this week!

http://www.nationaljewelernetwork.com/njn/content_display/fashion/e3i54b0908a60497eb9135ccf3bf42f9ecc

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Lady, look what i just found today in the window of 47th Street... I thought of you and your ring!

IMG00515.jpg

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Its great to have people that appreciate and enjoy the same things you do! verdura ,cartier,tiffany,bulgari,and van cleef and bouchron....i could and will go on....thanks for the replies... Nicrez...have you see the beautiful brown topaz and citrine pieces by verdura from the 30s-40s...some jewelry companies have been producing knock-offs the last few years...large yellow gold circle pendants filled in with emerald,pear,and oval cut topaz and citrines on heavy yellow gold rope chains...perfect for the fall worn with pins shaped like leaves in yellow gold and platinum paved with brown and yellow diamond inlay!Am i crazy or are these designers alot of fun to read about.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Verdura has some very classic pieces, and they have a pair of earrings I was knocked off my socks to see reproduced. So far I am surprised at the repros out there of Buccellati, because i know it''s getting hot one the repros come out. The Verdura earrings, that was a first. They were exact duplicates of the Byzantine Pendant earrings (which are displayed at Bergdorf''s). I ADORE them. I covet them. What I like the most about Verdura is their abundance of rich colors and gemstone usage is just plain fun and artistic. They have an uncanny sense of aestethic that although it would not be my first choice sometimes, it just lures me in to try a look I never would have though I liked. I think it''s fun, edgy and youthful, yet still classic.

As for the Cartier, Chaumet, Boucheron, VCA, OHB, and all the other fine makers, I am smitten. Nothing, I mean NOTHING comes close tot eh workmanship I have seen in these pieces. I have had things repaired by expert craftsmen today. People who work with the top top people in the industry, and even they tell me that they can not repair a basket in a bracelet just as it was because it was far too thin. The workmanship before all the technology just astounds me. It''s amazing how they created these effortless looks of diamonds and gemstones almost suspended in air, framed so delicated (but securely for so many years) by just whispers of metal. The Invisible settings are just stunning, and no one can produce on like Oscar Heyman. I mean no one.

Nowadays, all you see are chunks of solid clunky metal, all unfinished and rough, housing diamonds that are all cut EXACTLY the same, with a sort of machine-like precision that doesn''t offer a hint or taste of craftsmanship, just assembly line. Not a touch of a maker''s toil, just a day laborer''s mistakes. The pave is not done carefully and scuplted, but just pushed up. There is such a lack of finish compared to the scrollwork on the INSIDE of a bracelet from the Art Deco period, or a flourish of gold on the backing of a ruby earring. Details and refinements are what make thes pieces so priceless, and to me, nothing made today had even a hint of the luxury and decadence these vintage items still have. It''s a soft of subtle elegance that is obvious when worn, and now adays, it''s just bigger is better, but the quality is so low...
39.gif
I was appaled to set the worst setting in my life for a cushion cut ring of 3ct at an auction recently. It was atrocious, and yet that is what people are making these days. Holes in the metal, chunky, unfinished prongs, backs with no details, clasps that just have function and no design...blah blah blah...

I''m such a throw back...
9.gif
But give me a nice quality antique over any size modern diamond anyday.

There ARE quality setters and jewlers out there, but I am finding it very hard to find that kind of precision and exactness here on 47th. Honestly, among the trade there is a serious dirth of quality setters and craftsmen, and most of the good ones are still in Europe.
39.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
My favorite, by far, is the style on the circa1930s website. So I guess it would be... 1930s? Rings like the pictures below.

They're just so dainty and scream "I don't need a big diamond--I'm in love!" Something about that just so appeals to me.

By the way, is there a specific name for the pieces that have substantial amounts of metal around the small center stone like this?

ew310-u.jpg

ew342-u.jpg

ew304-1d08c-t11.jpg

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is Edwardian through Art Deco.

Foureyes

Rough_Rock
80''s fo sho! I love the gold nugget rings, the big hoops, the yellow gold...etc.

In all sincerity, I actually really like clean, modern pieces. (Even though my own wedding set is pave-deliciousness). I''m a sucker, though, for clean, clean lines. Those etienne perret pieces (especially the bezels) are to die for!
1.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Art Deco and Edwardian. I am very lucky to own an art deco brooch from the 1920''s from my hubby''s dear aunt. Great thread Jewelryman! How about you; do you have an art deco piece?? Happy Thanksgiving and thank you for your kind compliment; glad you are here!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Skippy,
Good to see you on the thread! I actually have a few costume art deco pins that were handed down to me by my grandmother,but nother as spectacular as the sapphire brooch you own(its been on the forum,right?)you are very lucky to have it in your collection!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I posted a pic on Ellen''s antiques thread and I started a thread somewhere. Thank you; I love it!!!
To answer your question from an old thread I don''t own very much turquoise; I do own a beautiful silver turquoise ring from the 1940''s. It probably isn''t worth a lot of money but it is pretty cool because it is older.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
The turquoise pieces from the 1940s are popular with collectors and there are some good books at the library that are fun to read about value and collectability of turquoise from this era...a popular time for tourists to visit Arizona and the grand canyon and bring back jewelry and pottery or rugs as gifts.

sheena

Rough_Rock
Mine is Edwardian through Art Deco and applied with modern pieces of gemstones jewelry accessories.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results