shape
carat
color
clarity

Did you have a say in your ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2007 6:30:25 PM
Author: Pandora II
He's over the moon that I have saved him over 50% on the price of a similar ring in the UK
About this in particular: did you manage to do that by shopping online via Pricescope vendors and having the ring shipped to the UK (where I assume he will be charged taxes on it), is he picking it up in the US, or is something else happening? Just trying to figure out what will be the least expensive for J and I when the time comes to actually buy something (we are here in the UK, at least until August, longer if I get a job here)...

About the rest of it: wow! You surely put in a lot of work to help them out. Kudos to you for being such a great sister/future sister-in-law.
1.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 5:49:22 AM
Author: gwendolyn

Date: 11/22/2007 6:30:25 PM
Author: Pandora II
He''s over the moon that I have saved him over 50% on the price of a similar ring in the UK
About this in particular: did you manage to do that by shopping online via Pricescope vendors and having the ring shipped to the UK (where I assume he will be charged taxes on it), is he picking it up in the US, or is something else happening? Just trying to figure out what will be the least expensive for J and I when the time comes to actually buy something (we are here in the UK, at least until August, longer if I get a job here)...

About the rest of it: wow! You surely put in a lot of work to help them out. Kudos to you for being such a great sister/future sister-in-law.
1.gif
It''s being picked up there.

I know Maisie will disagree with me - but I checked it out with a friend of mine who works quite high up in the appropriate department of C&E.

He thinks it''s a ''grey'' area as far as legality is concerned. He was thinking of getting an e-ring for his FI through my contacts and said he wasn''t sure if he''d fly over to bring it back or not...

In my mind it works like this - if I buy a jumper abroad I am not going to pop along and declare it, which strictly speaking one should do. If I buy a packet of cigarettes in a shop (not duty free) I''m hardly going to waste customs time either. Now if I was planning on bringing in a $1million rock - I would pop down the red channel. If I buy things off ebay, sometimes they arrive with customs to pay and I go to the postoffice and pay the bill. 3 times out of 5 my parcels don''t get stopped - their loss...

I also contacted Brinks - the bullion merchants who are one of the few who will transport jewellery over here, about sending my ring back for repair. They said it would only be worth using them if I had a customs receipt as they HAD to declare everything and that I should get a friend to take it if I hadn''t - before I had said either way!

So basically up to you.

You will do much better shopping in the US than you will here - and you will pay soooooo much less - especially with the great exchange rate.

sheena

Rough_Rock
Why are you ruining the surprise of the proposal ? For me it is a nice feeling to give someone a surprise specially giving an engagement ring. The men should know to what type of ring best for you or much better if you talk that you like a specific ring and so the man will have idea.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2007 10:42:56 AM
Author: sheena
Why are you ruining the surprise of the proposal ? For me it is a nice feeling to give someone a surprise specially giving an engagement ring. The men should know to what type of ring best for you or much better if you talk that you like a specific ring and so the man will have idea.

Well I purchased my ring with my FI and I still had a surprise proposal. Surely, for the majority of women on here, we will have spoken with our Fi''s about getting engaged before it happens, in terms of life goals, kids etc, so it''s not like it''s going to be a huge surprise that it actually happens. And if you point out a specific ring to him then why not go pick it with him. Your proposal can still be a surprise and I found it so romantic going ring shopping with D, seeing his opinion on different rings and seeing how excited he was when we found our one.

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
Bee- i felt the same way when we went around to find our ring for real a few weeks ado and we went from jeweler to jeweler and i loved watching his reaction when we went to all the different jewelers but when we found our designer the way that his eyes lit up made the whole experiance soo worth it, i did at one point want to just say "babe you pick it out i cant" and he was like "no i want you to do this with me" and seeing how it to it he was and seeing how happy he was when we found it was amazing and it made me happy i was there with him and we were to experiance this todther since were only doing this once.

do i know when and how he will propose no way, thats all him, i know he has it planned but i dont know where i dont know how and i dont know whose involved its all going to be a surprise.

stbfyffe

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think I am ruining the proposal at all...as I said I have no idea when or how he will propose...the ring is the icing on the cake, not a nessecity(sp?) for the engagement...however since I am getting a ring I would like to have a say in it.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2007 10:42:56 AM
Author: sheena
For me, the proposal was the surprise and the most important thing - the ring comes later. Proposals should be about a promise not a ring, in the same way that a wedding is about the vows not the wedding-band,

Every woman in my family back to my great-great-grandmother has had a proposal and then gone ring-shopping with their future husband.

It''s an exciting way of celebrating your engagement.

These days no proposal should be ''out of the blue'', a couple should have discussed all the big important issues - kids, finances, career-plans etc etc.

Mine was a total surprise because although I knew we would be in a permanent relationship, he was wary of marriage itself and so I expected to wait at least another year before I convinced him!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results