shape
carat
color
clarity

Design ideas on a yellow pear, take 2

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

crowmama

Shiny_Rock
Thanks to everyone who gave a hoot at my first ring design post. What to do with a yellow pear and two rounds? This rendering is super crude, but I wanted to float the concept before going further with more details. AND I don''t want it to look like an owl with a yellow beak (props to Doorknob for that -- the ring "whooted" at me every time I looked at it afterward. Thank you for your extreme honesty...)

Doorknob suggested that I nix the sidestones, but I wanted to give them one more try. I will try to clean this up more tomorrow and incorporate ideas.

The yellow pear is prongset with a white halo, and the pave shank is just to give an idea of what that might look like with a halo pear and inset pronged round sidestones.

Again, the photoshop is rough, rough, rough, and there''s no gallery definition yet. I''m thinking open gallery to raise the pear above the shank/side stones.

pear2ndtry .jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think you''re on the right track with this direction...i personally like it a ton better...

crowmama

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 4:47:43 PM
Author: mrssalvo
i think you''re on the right track with this direction...i personally like it a ton better...
Thank you Mrssalvo for your response. I enjoy the constructive feedback that the folks on this site are willing to provide. Ring design is tricky, and I''d like something that I''ll enjoy years from now.

You know, your sig has become a motto for me! If someone asks what i think about something, I always remind them that "MrsSalvo says a deal is only a deal if you are getting exactly what you want." Then they ask "Who the heck is Mrs Salvo?"
2.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh, I like this design a lot better than the other one! I didn''t comment on the other one but I thought it took away from the stones a little too much. This one looks great, though! I love how open and airy the setting looks! I think it will really make the diamonds pop in real life.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the idea of a split shank halo for a pear stone, but I think I''d leave out the rounds. So many other things you could do with those.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 9:49:48 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I love the idea of a split shank halo for a pear stone, but I think I''d leave out the rounds. So many other things you could do with those.

I agree. I really liked the pear with the yellow gold metal around it and the colorless/near colorless halo.

I would vote making the pear into a ring (either halo or split shank) and making the rounds a gorgeous set of earrings. Drop, or halo, to match the ring?

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Oh dear...hooty and the BLOWhard...that's me!! (I can be a little windy) So sorry. Really. Can't tell you how glad I am you came back. I have been miserable thinking I wilted you beyond recovery (wouldn't be the first time). I hope you did remember how much I complimented your skills. I was sincere...honest.

There was someone who suggested the split halo to you...and to tuck those rounds in there. What I pictured was a little different than your creation. This mock up is not as refined as HOOTY but I think I get the idea. I would suggest since you love Beaudry...I would add a little more beaudry details in that area that you have the rounds. He, she, they...whomever is Beaudry uses those scroll things...milgrain...and some contrasting metal colors...so I would like to see you add some of those details as apposed to looking more minimalist contemporary as it does now.

Gee this is a hard room to work isn't it?

Here's an idea I haven't though thru enough...What about going with the pave split shank...but have them depart from the pear with the normal spread, and then narrow before it reaches the rounds...and have them encompass the round and then return the the normal split-or closer and make the shank not split thereafter?

I hope to find some images that may express my opinion better than my clumsy words. I still love that pear! Don't give up...you are on a roll!!

DKS

Oh would you consider using delicate claw prongs...on the pear?

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
I have a feeling this is a love it/hate it concept.... but there''s a pear ring on the Fred Leighton site that just knocked me out.

The (rather massive) stone has a pavé bezel that has a bow at the top. It''s just so charming!

http://www.fredleighton.com/ ---> Exhibitions ---> Diamond Affair ---> Bow Ring

P.S. You can''t get to the Bow Ring if you don''t stop staring at that ginormous pink EC!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Here''s an idea...look under engagement rings... for style #DR 2009. It has an Emerald Cut as the center and fancy cut half moons as the sides...but some how the sides of the shank form a sort of a pear and not a half moon. If your side pave work was to imitate a pear...wouldn''t keeping the rounds make more design sense? To accomplish this, you need some filler...can''t see What Henri did.

http://www.henridaussi.com/flash/index.html

DKS

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 10:38:44 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
Here''s an idea...look under engagement rings... for style #DR 2009. It has an Emerald Cut as the center and fancy cut half moons as the sides...but some how the sides of the shank form a sort of a pear and not a half moon. If your side pave work was to imitate a pear...wouldn''t keeping the rounds make more design sense? To accomplish this, you need some filler...can''t see What Henri did.

DKS

DKS~ BRAVO!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
What a fantastic design for the stones! Why haven''t you helped me with my redesigns?!
7.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that you are on the right track here...I like this one much better.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 3:07:15 PM
Author:crowmama
Thanks to everyone who gave a hoot at my first ring design post. What to do with a yellow pear and two rounds? This rendering is super crude, but I wanted to float the concept before going further with more details. AND I don''t want it to look like an owl with a yellow beak (props to Doorknob for that -- the ring ''whooted'' at me every time I looked at it afterward. Thank you for your extreme honesty...)

Doorknob suggested that I nix the sidestones, but I wanted to give them one more try. I will try to clean this up more tomorrow and incorporate ideas.

The yellow pear is prongset with a white halo, and the pave shank is just to give an idea of what that might look like with a halo pear and inset pronged round sidestones.

Again, the photoshop is rough, rough, rough, and there''s no gallery definition yet. I''m thinking open gallery to raise the pear above the shank/side stones.
If you want people to just put it out there, here goes. Im being honest because you seem to able to take negative opinions well. You have to be careful when you want to use up existing diamonds that you are not compromising an otherwise great ring. Its makes sence to want to incorperate any spare sparklies, but always be mindful of the big picture. I dont really love the yellow pear and 2 white circles combination. Im seeing something, but it isnt an owl.
11.gif

I personally would first pick out my hg design with the yellow pear. Then if, and only `if` you need 2 rb for the design in the size you have, should you go ahead and use them.

If you want to use up the two rbs maybe you could add to them to make a half eternity ring?

crowmama

Shiny_Rock
Doorknob! I''m sorry you felt bad about being honest -- DON''T! People who can''t see constructive comments for what they are get hurt, but you didn''t hurt my feelings at all. "The Hooty" wasn''t the best use of the stones involved, and I''m happy you took the time to write your thoughts down.

The link to Henri Daussi example shows a fabulous ring, and I''ve seen that concept of using the metal to imply side pears before, but only on ''80''s type of rings. This is a great update on that concept, so you know I''ll be photoshopping this afternoon.

Sharon, I know what you''re seeing in the design, and I''m trying to avoid the "beans & franks" look, LOL!

More later... and thank you all for your comments.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 9:49:48 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Agreed.

crowmama

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 10:38:44 PM
Author: door knob solitaire

DKS

DKS, what do you think of this rendering? Be honest (I know that''s hard for you!!!)
5.gif

henri-daussi-inspired-ring.jpg

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Im seeing things that I just know I should not be seeing here.....Is it me, am I the only one????
9.gif

crowmama

Shiny_Rock
Sharon, you''re not alone! I see things too!! It''s the asymmetrical nature of pears, for one thing. I guess I like the side stones with the pear because the pear solitaire, just by itself, looks, um, well...

Poor pears! Very challenging shapes to work with!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Your''re right...it is shades of hooty again. Whooty who? Whooty who?

But is the scale ratio actually correct? I mean are your side stones that large? Nix it and go back to you split idea. I am beginning to agree with the professional opinion here...those rounds are tough to marry to your pear. It is like playing with square pegs and round holes...I am sure there is a way to make it cohesive...

One thing is they are right about the white scale being very large...there needs to be something to tie them together. Maybe yellow diamond pave around the white stones...which is what you use on your split shank?? utilizing yellow gold around the yellow stones may make it look more cohesive.

I wish I had more. I''ll get some chocolate and maybe it will give me a brain storm!!!!

crowmama

Shiny_Rock
DKS, it doesn''t look as hooty as before, but I think that anything with that yellow pear and symmetrical rounds will look hooty. Or look like something else... Drat.

I like the pear with the split shank, but I''d like to see a little more stone that just a pear with a halo. My sister, an art instructor, always says that if you don''t like what you see in a design, take something away rather than add to it. I''m gonna drop back and punt again... I have an asymetrical idea that I have to shake down.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
I think you could get a fantastic pendant out of those stones!

ETA: The more Google images I look at, the more I'm falling for pear-shaped pendants.... If this isn't the ring, I'd really consider going with a necklace!
36.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I actually like the newest photoshop pic. I see the "whooty", but it doesn''t stand out like that to me. I''ve had a pear for several years (with sidestones). Mine sort of resembled an angel, so I think with a pear, you''re going to "see" something no matter what the design. (just try to avoid the *um* beans and franks!)

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/20/2007 11:28:26 AM
Author: somethingshiny
(just try to avoid the *um* beans and franks!)

D''oh! I never thought of that...

crowmama

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/20/2007 11:22:34 AM
Author: Ninama
I think you could get a fantastic pendant out of those stones!

ETA: The more Google images I look at, the more I''m falling for pear-shaped pendants.... If this isn''t the ring, I''d really consider going with a necklace!
36.gif
Thanks for the input Ninama. I''ve actually got a ton of cool ideas for a pendant for this, but there''s just one problem... I''d never be able to see it while I''m wearing it!!! If I kept checking it out, people would stop and stare, thinking I dropped part of my lunch down there, or I''m just looking at my girls (ahem).
37.gif

This certainly isn''t "THE" ring, it''s just a ring...

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
I know this may be similar to past examples, but just thought I would throw it out there. The first two images are the original rings I combined (very roughly) to make the pear with round combo. I like how there is a halo around the end shape of the rounds and pears together, instead of around each stone.
Hopefully this does not still look like hooty...
2.gif

yellow.pear.idea.001.JPG

crowmama

Shiny_Rock
Another take on "Frank Hootie", but with some gold added...

henri-daussi-inspired-ring-.jpg

crowmama

Shiny_Rock
Another take on white and yellow gold... hoot?

henri-daussi-inspiredgold2.jpg

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I like the first with just a bit of yg added. The second makes whooty stand out more

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or, instead of making it an open split shank, make the space that is open solid metal (recessed) and either pave it or bead set it and perhaps leave the shank without stones? Argh I used to have a pic of what I''m trying to describe but can''t find it.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
The pear is beautiful, but just not with the 2 rounds. You will end up regreting the way it still cost good money to make with a very poor result. I see it as throwing good money after bad.

Could you buy some other sides that match better. I think very small rounds or princeses going around the band would look nice eg 3 on each side of the pear, but very small ones.

BTW, what are the specs of the stones in question?

And thanks for the interesting project that you are sharing with us. It is fun helping you decide. I hope you dont end up with an owl or a frank!!!!!
11.gif
14.gif
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results