shape
carat
color
clarity

question from beginner

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GrB

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I want to ask you about "Clarity". I understand the meaning of this word, but where could i see something like a table about it? For example, what does it mean: SI - I1. Is it good or bad? And what is better SI - I1 or SI - I1 or SI3-I2?

I do not know English well. Me be you spoke about it a hundred times, but I can not read all forum. :)

Thank you :)

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
Hello: I think this is what you mean...I apologize if it isnt.

"I1 and I2" means Included, in that you can see flaws in the diamond
"SI1 and SI2" means Slightly Included, in that you can maybe see flaws and the diamond may be eyeclean
"VS1 and VS2" mean very slightly included. I''m not sure at what magnitude under a microscope these are seen...maybe another PSer can help me out.
"VVS1 and VVS2" mean very very slightly included
and "IF" means internally flawless. I think that is it...

But, IF is the best, and I2 is the worst in terms of clarity.

Hope this helps.

areagirlsbestfriend

Rough_Rock
you might get a better answer over in RockyTalk ... and while we''re at it, I''m a bit curious myself! I understand the basics of the scale, but what is the difference between say .. an SI1 and an SI2?? Would everyone pick an SI1 over the 2? Is the difference that great? I only ask because I recently found out mine is an SI2 and was kinda bummed. I can''t see anything though so I guess it''s pretty eye clean. The cut and color (Ideal and F) make up for the clarity so I guess I can''t be too upset. I''d be interested in others thoughts.

(sorry if I''m threadjacking .. )

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an eye-clean SI2 which means you can''t see anything in the stone without looking at it with magnification.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SI1 is usually a cleaner stone than a SI2. However, all these are not created equal. This depends on how stringent the lab is (AGS and GIA are strict, EGL isn''t so, IGI is very loose). Also there are some eye clean SI2s (but rare) and some not eye clean SI1.

This also depends on the cut. Many SI1 rounds are eye clean and almost all SI1 step cuts aren''t due to the nature of the faceting.

GrB

Rough_Rock
Thak you for your answers.

What do you think about this ring?

860b_1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t like the center stone: it''s so dark that it has no liveliness.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
The prongs are a little clunky, but I think that all the other design elements are a matter of opinion. I agree with Chrono on the center stone.

diamonddesignco

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/2/2007 2:18:18 PM
Author:GrB
Hello everyone,

I want to ask you about ''Clarity''. I understand the meaning of this word, but where could i see something like a table about it? For example, what does it mean: SI - I1. Is it good or bad? And what is better SI - I1 or SI - I1 or SI3-I2?

I do not know English well. Me be you spoke about it a hundred times, but I can not read all forum. :)

Thank you :)
Just to go back to clarity real quick, based on your original question I just wanted to point out that you should not be considering an item that only provides a "range" of clarity, especially if that range is vague and big, like SI - I1. 99% of the time you''ll be paying for SI and getting I1.

Just my .02

GrB

Rough_Rock

Thanks for answers. :)

What do you think about this ring? Is it real sapphire? I like the idea of ring, but I''m not sure about quality.

r831.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results