shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you buy a pink sapphire knowing that there is a chip in it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

parlourgirl

Rough_Rock
I just bought a pink sapphire ring from a jeweler that I have had a very good relationship with. The ring is a 2.78 cushion cut stone, with two half moon diamonds on the side. The color of the sapphire is the most intense pink with incredible fire when it catches the light. Looking down at the stone through a loop it is very clean. In order to see the chip you have to view the ring through a loop from the bottom looking up on one side. I took it to another jeweler to get another opinion. He said he was a gemologist with 20 years experience. He believed that the chip was natural in the stone. He also said being a jeweler he would not have bought it. He than showed me what he would sell me for that price. He had a lot of pink sapphires but nothing that could compare to the color of this ring. I have been looking for quite a while and really haven''t seen a color like it. Would you let a small chip on the under side of a stone keep you from purchasing it?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t advise on the chip, but I would say that the second jeweler is going to say anything he can to get you to return that stone, and buy one from him.

I am sure someone with more knowledge will stop by and advise you about the chip
1.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! Intense color is the most important feature of a colored stone, so I would keep the ring if the stone is not in danger of breaking. Is the chip located in an area where it could bump against things and get worse? If so, could the stone be moved in the setting so that the chip (if it really is a chip) could be put where nothing would ever touch it? If it is a chip and it won't be harmed any further where it is, I don't think you'll have any problems. But I would take the ring to an independent appraiser who doesn't sell jewelry to find out whether it really is a chip or just a natural inclusion. Good luck!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the above poster...as long as it did not cause any danger to the stone, sure.

parlourgirl

Rough_Rock
I want to thank everyone for your response. I think I will take it to an independent appraiser. Thanks again.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/20/2007 2:59:35 AM
Author:parlourgirl
In order to see the chip you have to view the ring through a loop from the bottom looking up on one side.
Don''t make the mistake of applying diamond clarity grading standards to a sapphire. If you can only see this with a loupe and from the bottom, it''s not an issue. There are other things you might be interested in knowing more about but not this.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would probably keep the ring but be very careful cleaning it for fear of causing the crack to grow. If you are happy with the stone, I say enjoy it!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I personally would not buy a chipped or damaged gemstone.A nick may be able to be removed if you love the gemstone enough without alot of weight loss or problems.If the damage dosnt affect the beauty and dosnt bother you than wear and enjoy the color of the gem.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe it's just me (consumer), but I'd almost be more concerned if a sapphire had no loupe-visible surface imperfections. The more rare and valuable the material, the more likely it is to see this sort of thing. Even if the second jeweler was interested in selling you something, he called it a "natural", which are quite common to see on the pavilion of sapphires - a small part of the skin of the rough. However a natural that you can't see from the top is not a reason to reject a stone - for example with the attached image (just below the girdle), from here, which is a really fine stone.

B742_2_0612200630750PM.jpg

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
elmo,
thanks for the picture of a natural on pavilion.I enjoy this forum because people want to learn and share...the color of blue on this stone is my favorite for blue sapphire.Thanks.

sandia_rose

Shiny_Rock
As long as there was no danger of the stone splitting at the chip, and as long as it didn''t mar the beauty of the stone, I''d purchase the stone and not worry.

A friend of mine wanted a 2ct diamond and she and her BF went to NY to visit various diamond district shops. There was nothing that size in her BF''s price range....except an SI-2 RB with a chip in the girdle. It was an obvious divot, too. Looked like it chipped being polished or cut. No one wanted to buy this stone because of the chip, and it was selling ridiculously cheap. It otherwise was cut well, was very sparkly, etc. No other marks or occlusions in it. They bought it, and did what the merchant suggested - had the jeweler that made a ring from it set it where a prong was directly over the chip. You could look at this ring close-close-close up and never guess that there is a chip hiding under that prong! A lot of stones with that problem could be bezel set, too.

Bridget in Connecticut.

parlourgirl

Rough_Rock
Elmo thank you so much for the amazing picture. This is almost exactly the same little chip or whatever it''s called that I see in my sapphire. Mine might be a little smaller and a little lower. It doesn''t look to be in any danger of getting hit the way it was mounted. After reading all the advice, there is absolutely no way I would return it. Everyone laughs at me because I can''t help staring at it. The color is mesmerizing. I love it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results