shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone know what it''s called.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Neveah

Shiny_Rock
When a princess cut diamond is set in the "diamond" shape.... (meaning not sitting square on the ring, but turned to the side)???? Am I even making any sense???
I have no idea what this is called and it''s how my fiance custom set my ering! He knows so much more about rings and specs (like many of you PS''ers! I''m in awe!)

And I''m sure you''re wondering why I just don''t ask him....he''s out of town, and asleep, and I was just emailing one of my oldest friends and she asked for major details and I''m stumped on this one!!! And it''s driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!

Also, hopefully while on this site I can not only upgrade my diamond knowledge but figure out how to post my ering as I''ve been engaged for 2 months and haven''t done it yet!!!!

A quick description though...and hopefully pics soon to follow!!!! (From memory, so don''t have it all)

Center stone is .58 F VVS princess cut (set to the side which I so childishly described before!)
Round halo around center stone, pave band .47 G VVS
Lilttle over 1tcw

And yes, my "spec" talk is quite pathetic I know!

Thanks!!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
"star-set" or "kite-set" ??

Neveah

Shiny_Rock
??? Still not sure, but that''s certainly a much better way of describing it!!!! A lot more visual for sure! Thank you!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are taking a square and instead of having sit as a square, you are turning it a quarter turn so it is "resting" on one of it''s points.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/4/2007 11:16:00 PM
Author: decodelighted
''star-set'' or ''kite-set'' ??
Deco, I''ve always heard it described like this as well. Also as "set on point". I have an old pair of princess studs that I converted to leverbacks and they are set this way.

cmsprinearrings.jpg

snowflakeluvr

Shiny_Rock
I inquired to a jeweler have stones set "into" the band of a ring, on either side of the center stone, and she called it "gypsy set". I don''t know if that''s accurate but I thought I''d let you know....

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
i thought gypsy set meant that the diamond was placed directly into the shank (like bezel, but more so). i get so confused by all these terms, too. kite-set sounds familiar to me. i normally don''t like princess cuts, but this orientation appeals to me more.

this is a ring i found on Lang Antiques website.

10-1-1624.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know it as set "on point".

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 8:39:58 AM
Author: snowflakeluvr
I inquired to a jeweler have stones set ''into'' the band of a ring, on either side of the center stone, and she called it ''gypsy set''. I don''t know if that''s accurate but I thought I''d let you know....
That''s a description of them being set flush with the metal, not of the orientation of the shape.

Neheah, I believe that Deco was correct with starset and kiteset. There is even a PS member with the username "Starset Princess."

Neveah

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Musey! It''s a more "visual" description for sure...it''s been hard describing it to people. Now if I could just get some good pictures of the ring and figure out how to post them...

snowflakeluvr

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the clarification. i remember reading about OEC and thinking to myself, ''what the heck is that?'' i''ve learned so much here on PS
emwink.gif

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/5/2007 10:10:39 PM
Author: Neveah
Thank you Musey! It's a more 'visual' description for sure...it's been hard describing it to people. Now if I could just get some good pictures of the ring and figure out how to post them...
tap, tap, tap....

1.gif
your ring sounds very interesting and pretty, i'm dying to see those pics!!
31.gif

Beeweaver

Shiny_Rock
I had a sapphire set in my old engagement ring mounting like that and the jeweler called it "kite set."

KitesetCJ.JPG

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve heard it referred to as "ball-parked". Like a baseball diamond I guess?

Neveah

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 10:48:20 AM
Author: rainydaze

Date: 11/5/2007 10:10:39 PM
Author: Neveah
Thank you Musey! It''s a more ''visual'' description for sure...it''s been hard describing it to people. Now if I could just get some good pictures of the ring and figure out how to post them...
tap, tap, tap....

1.gif
your ring sounds very interesting and pretty, i''m dying to see those pics!!
31.gif
Finally figured it out rainydaze...here it is

here12is3..jpg

Neveah

Shiny_Rock
Oops...hope this works

here12is3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results