shape
carat
color
clarity

John Edwards has never heard of conflict diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
With the hopes we can keep this non-political...

At an appearance a couple of days ago, John Edwards was asked by a high school kid what he would do about conflict diamonds. We may never know, because Edwards drew a complete blank.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/30/edwardss-gem-of-a-question/

This is the relevant portion:

There was also the question from Marie Collins, a 16-year old junior: “If you were to become president, what actions would you take to stem the flow of conflict diamonds into our country?”

Mr. Edwards asked her to repeat the question, which she did. Mr. Edwards still did not understand. “Conflict diamonds,” Ms. Collins said.

“I don’t even know what that term is,” Mr. Edwards said.

A student sitting in front of me muttered: “And people think Bush is bad.”

“Like blood diamonds, from Africa,” Ms. Collins said.

“Oh, oh, oh sorry,” Mr. Edwards said. “Boy you guys really do have your own things don’t you? Can I tell you I have had probably hundreds of town hall meetings, I have literally never been asked that question. Or had the issue raised.”
And the guy is a US Senator.
23.gif

In fairness, I wonder how many people off the street would have any clear idea of the issues involved.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/2/2007 5:43:51 PM
Author:CaptAubrey
With the hopes we can keep this non-political...

At an appearance a couple of days ago, John Edwards was asked by a high school kid what he would do about conflict diamonds. We may never know, because Edwards drew a complete blank.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/30/edwardss-gem-of-a-question/

This is the relevant portion:

There was also the question from Marie Collins, a 16-year old junior: “If you were to become president, what actions would you take to stem the flow of conflict diamonds into our country?”

Mr. Edwards asked her to repeat the question, which she did. Mr. Edwards still did not understand. “Conflict diamonds,” Ms. Collins said.

“I don’t even know what that term is,” Mr. Edwards said.

A student sitting in front of me muttered: “And people think Bush is bad.”

“Like blood diamonds, from Africa,” Ms. Collins said.

“Oh, oh, oh sorry,” Mr. Edwards said. “Boy you guys really do have your own things don’t you? Can I tell you I have had probably hundreds of town hall meetings, I have literally never been asked that question. Or had the issue raised.”
And the guy is a US Senator.
23.gif

In fairness, I wonder how many people off the street would have any clear idea of the issues involved.
I am guessing there still are a few potentially future US presidents that are "still" not familiar with the term "conflict"!!!
41.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results