shape
carat
color
clarity

Tell me about your strengths and weaknesses....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I am about to begin interviewing for residency positions, and I keep hearing that this classic interview question is still a popular one. However, I just cannot come up with a great way to answer it. "I''m a perfectionist..." ohhh the cheese. "I work too much" blah.

So, how did you or would you answer this question?

sera

Ideal_Rock
"I have MPD soooo, you''re really getting like 5 employees if you hire me."

No?

Then IDK... if the cheesiness is truthful, go with the cheese. If you are a perfectionist or hard worker or fast learner or whatever, tell them sincerely... they most likely know who is blowing smoke and who is not.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
There is only one way to answer these questions and its to tell the truth.That is what I would do.You may want to choose the wording , but I would just be honest... Hope you get it..

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d go with the truth too, and it is in the way you word it, so agree with Scarleta. I wish you all the best, can''t believe it''s this time already. Will you be staying in the area???

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions, ladies. I agree honesty is the way to go, but you still have to make it sound GOOD.

And yes Kaleigh, I cannot believe it''s here already either. I do have some interviews scheduled around here, but I have no idea where I will match. I have interviews in Florida, Ohio, New York, South Carolina, Kentucky, etc. Should be interesting (and by interesting I mean stressful
3.gif
)

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
when i was being prepped for interviews, i think the best advice i got regarding that question (or any) was to tell the truth AND tell what you are doing to improve upon it.

for example, not that this is relevant to a residency position, but just so you get the idea, i could say "i sometimes have difficulty interpreting research, so/but last month i began subscribing to such and such journal and have made it a real goal of mine to really delve further into the latest research this issue and this has really helped me to make progress in incorporating the newest techniques into my therapy"

i'm not sure if that made sense, but maybe you get the idea? i personally really wouldn't go the whole "i'm a perfectionist route".....i think the closest i would get to that is "i take my work too personally sometimes" and even with that i would mention what i'm doing/have done to improve that. you could even mention something that you used to struggle with, and tell them how you resolved it totally. of course that only address the weakness part....

for the strengths i would be honest too. you don't have to be cocky about it. saying something like "i've had a lot of success in ____________" or "I've been lucky enough to have great instructors/mentors that have helped me really to conquer ____________" or something humble like that.

good luck!!!
36.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that you want to present it in a polished but still truthful and sincere way. Be yourself, but put the best foot forward. Employers like sincerity, I would rather have a smart candidate who admits to not knowing all but is a fast and enthusiastic learner.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I don''t really have much advice on that particular question. I did get asked it at least once that I remember, but I don''t remember what I said.

But good luck with interviews! It really can be fun...you get to meet all your future colleagues!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
What''s with the stupid interview questions, anyway? "What is more important to you, work or family?" "Would you be unhappy if you had to work a double shift with no notice?" Can you help me find the way out of a wet paper bag?!

I wonder if there''s a "question" book complete with "acceptable" answers.

Anywho, Good Luck with the interview. Honesty is the best policy.
2.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 8:47:08 PM
Author: scarleta
There is only one way to answer these questions and its to tell the truth.That is what I would do.You may want to choose the wording , but I would just be honest... Hope you get it..
Scarleta, ditto.

Do you care about your patients; maybe bring up how you understand them or can empathize.
I wish you the best!!! Think positive and practice w/a friend; that always helps!!! Keep us posted and sending lots of the magic PS dust for your interview!!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck, Icekid!

I''ve sat on many interview panels and my only advice is to NOT say that your weakness is something that is in reality a thinly veiled strength (such as "I''m such a perfectionist I always stay at work until every single thing is complete and above par." Or, "I can be quite fickle--I just have so many interests that I find myself constantly pursuing new endeavors.") The ability to reflect on your weaknesses and come up with an honest, productive response (Mimzy''s advice is excellent!) is a real asset to an employer.

Can''t wait to hear how it goes!

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Regarding your strengths, think of something that are not only truly your strengths but also closely relevant to your medical training. Be sure to think of specific examples to back them up too.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Um, diamonds anyone?

I tend to choose things that I want to talk about in interviews, and I always come over best when I am really passionate about something. I also like to surprise people and have something out of the ordinary.

For example if I''m asked to tell them about myself, I always start by telling them that I was brought up on a pacific island: it''s many people''s dream and you have put a pleasant thought in their head that will then be associated with you. I''ve spent entire interviews with them getting out atlases and asking questions about it (and got the job
31.gif
which had nothing whatever to do with islands!)

It works well in my sectors though (politics and design), I can see it might be seen as a flippant choice in others.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
"My biggest weakness is that sometimes I work too hard, and sometimes I care too much. Buuuuut... my weaknesses are actually strengths. See what I did there?"

I couldn't resist. Anyone? Anyone?? No? Okaaaay...

I agree with the honesty route. Last time I interviewed I was asked this... and I phrased it as "My biggest weakness has always been _______, but in recent years [/months/etc.], ________ has really helped me to work towards overcoming that." I got the job, so I guess it worked okay for me
3.gif
ha!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
I have a doctor who calls almost immediately with my test results. I have other doctors who don''t look at anything until you are in their office. So, I commented on his throughness and his answer was he is a bit obsessive-compulsive, but thinks this is a good trait for a doctor. This man just won a hugh award from a medical organizaton for starting a home care program for homebound patients. It is being followed all over the country. Give me obsessive- compulsive doctors anyday.
I think you can make a trait both. I relate to many patients problems and so I feel I am empathic, but I sometimes may get a little over-involved with them. (I''ve seen that happen with female Drs) I say take bot sides of an issue at times.
Good Luck
Annette

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2007 3:04:12 AM
Author: musey
''My biggest weakness is that sometimes I work too hard, and sometimes I care too much. Buuuuut... my weaknesses are actually strengths. See what I did there?''

I couldn''t resist. Anyone? Anyone?? No? Okaaaay...

Musey, I about spit my drink out. I love that show, and that''s exactly what I was thinking.

Icekid, thank you so much for posting this. I have my second job fair tomorrow and I''m hoping to get some interviews out of it, and all this advice is helping me out, too. Best of luck!

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
I would avoid the pefectionist for a Strength as that can be a negative conotation for a manager. Maybe use that as a weakness (say something like ''i''m a perfectionist or I tend to take on too much to help out)... I would go with the honest, hard working, fast learner, good people skills.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
DF, something, Haven, zhuzhu, pandora, musey, smit, iwanna- You guys are the best! I appreciate all of the advice, PS dust, and luck
21.gif

Mimzy- I really like the part about turning it around and telling them how you plan to improve on whatever deficiency. Definitely sounds like the way to go.

Basil- I am excited (and a bit nervous hehe) to hit the interview trail. Should be fun though! My first interview is where I did my away rotation, so it should be relatively low stress. Worked out well that way.

Skippy- I am going to make my hubby practice with me on the drive hehe.

Princess- glad that the advice was helpful and timely for you too!

my hubby recommends that I tell that one of my weaknesses is that I am short (5''1") and can''t always reach medical supplies in the cupboards, but I''ve learned to ask someone for help now!
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results