shape
carat
color
clarity

porosity on gold what to do

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

whotheyare

Shiny_Rock
hello if there is small perosity around 6 small holes size of a pin head and i want to fix it i was told i can do laser treatment on it or change the polish to a rougher polish on the gold and it wont be noticeable but id like it smooth as possible, which method is recommended and how much is this laser technology even on such small dots is it expensive?

thanks

dunndeal

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

This is a tricky one! A laser is probably your best bet but there is no guarantee that it will be perfect. Polishing it further can actually make it worse. We have actually had to remake a few pieces entirely because of porosity. I would try to find the absolute best goldsmith or custom jeweler in you local area and show them. They should advise you whether to give it a shot or not.

Best

whotheyare

Shiny_Rock
hey thanks for reply yeah its on back of cross and its aprox 6 or 7 tiny holes size of a pinhead and he said laser treatment would fix it or doing a harder polish would make it less noticeable, im thinking of going with laser treatment but how much is it aprox just to fix that small section? are these normal to have on a 4 inch piece of jewelry or should i ask for discount because of their mistake? does this happen on all large pieces or did he do something wrong when casting?

thanks

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
something wrong with the casing.
Laser welding can fix the surface but night not fix the underlying weakness in that area.
Is it new?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If this is a new item, it should be up to the jeweler who sold it to you to deal with manufacturing defects, not you. I agree that laser is probably the right approach but I don’t understand how this has become your problem or why it should cost you anything at all.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

whotheyare

Shiny_Rock
its on the back of the cross, would laser treatment make it better or does it need to be recasted? i will post pics of it in a few minute

whotheyare

Shiny_Rock
here is picture can this be fixed or recasted using same gold? also let me know about the corners ill post pics of corners too

CASTED1.jpg

dunndeal

Rough_Rock
Hi again,

I agree with the other replies here. If you can''t live with it bring it back to the jeweler and let him try to fix it. There shouldn''t be any charge for that. Also since it is on the back of the cross you could go with a "rougher finish" and it might make the spots less noticeable and that wouldn''t change the look of the cross while wearing it.

Let us know,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results