shape
carat
color
clarity

Conclusion of a Problematic Thread--yes it is as lengthy as all of my posts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
well I know this is beating a dead horse now, but a lot of people on here have gotten the wrong impression of me and my character so I wanted to at least give the conclusion what happened in this thread: . There were way too many things stated that didn't actually match up with the reality of my relationship, so I won't even try to address them all. I also decided to put the big finale in a new thread as I don't really want people to continue responding negatively to my initial post and missing this conclusion post, so I will send a message asking PS to close that one. At any rate, this is how it ended:

We broke up.

Just joking

alright well the conclusion was:

today on the bus I told her I wanted to bring it up with her one last time and then I will not mention it anymore. (and remember, there have been 125 post on it here already and I have only mentioned it a couple of times to her, so it wasn't beating a dead horse with her like it is now here)

I explained to her that when I was initially looking at Erings I didn't TRULY understand the whole ring/engagement idea. I even contemplated other engagement options that might be available, though not for long as I had talked with her and new her expectations, so I was just trying to understand why it made sense.

My first initial understanding was, of course, social requirements and expectations. Thus my first reaction was to head down to the mall or local jewelery store and pick something up and head home, and bear the burden of paying for it... I have never been much of a "decorating" or accessory kind of guy in my past.

But, I kept thinking about it, and I imagine for every person there are different meanings to the Ering. In my case, I spend most of the year away from her, I don't get to interact with her daily life and usually when she gets home she is exhausted, calls me to say goodnight and thats it. So when I thought about the Ering more it began to become several things for me. The first and second most obvious meaning is that it became a symbol of our bond, and so I began researching how to make sure that my diamond was beautiful.

Then, I began to appreciate that idea that it could become a reminder to her throughout the day. She works alot, and I am in no way afraid of losing her or that she will cheat on me. The ring is not a means of "marking my territory" as has been suggested in the other thread. It is instead just a simple way for me, while being far away from her, to have a place in her daily life. While she is working so hard, and has so many things to deal with it is very easy for her to not think about me, and we have had problems before where she admitted, after being mean for a while, that she had not been thinking about me for a while and it was causing tension between us. When I can't see her for months and months at a time, and she is not thinking about me...well, it was ok when she was my girlfriend and I worked hard to maintain that presence in her life, but I really want my fiance to think about me a bit more throughout the day you know? not in an oppressive way, but I simply want to have more of a presence in her daily life. So I began to feel that with the Ering, it is something that she can constantly wear on her person, and throughout the day she will glance down and see it, and suddenly no matter how busy she is or how tired she is she will remember me and remember our relationship. Not to mark her or keep away guys (except at a bar or somewhere similar of course) but to simply have a presence with her that I can not have while she is living so far away from me. However, I told her, if she can not wear it at work, then I understand.

Then I asked her if she thought that she might, eventually, begin to feel as her mom does, and alot of other people in her community feel, that the Ering is really meant to be worn on special occasions. She agreed that alot of people do feel that way, and that while she is at work she can't wear it. But, she said that she loves to show it off, and everybody has told her that they have never seen a diamond as beautiful as hers (Thanks PS, AGS, and everybody who helped, including James Allen!...and don't forget the small diamonds often found in Fukuoka!
2.gif
) So, she said that she loves to wear it and will always wear it when she isn't working, and she really wants to show it off. Then she said that she always sees her customer's engagment rings now, when she is working, and she always thinks that hers is better than there's:) (Thank god none of you live in Fukuoka, most of you would totally rip mine to pieces if she compared the two!
6.gif
)

So I am ok with that, and I am glad that my fear that it might become a situation like her mother's and so many others, wearing it only 1 or 2 times a year, if that much, will not happen. After all, if she doesn't wear it for most of the day now, right after I gave it to her, what about 1 month from now? and 5 months from now when the newness of it all wears off? Anyway, it all worked out, thanks for your concern and I am terribly sorry for there being so many misconceptions of me and my character, hopefully that will pass with time, as I happen to love this diamond forum and won't be going anywhere, but will rather be learning more about diamonds.

(After all, once she moves to a new community she is going to find out her diamond isn't actually all that impressive
6.gif
oh crap! here I come again James Allen!)

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I''m very glad you two were able to openly communicate and, as a result, feel better because of it. Happy belated birthday!
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WH,
I''m glad that both of you came to a mutual understanding and agreement of sorts. She sounds like a very sweet lady and I''d love to hear/see her someday on PS, if this is in any possible.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Working...your first paragraph...with that closure line had me gasp! Then I cracked up.
2.gif

I know you are far more reserved with your post...(and who wouldn''t be...
2.gif
) but I am not sure what this one expressed. Other than you have lost your pain, and anger, and frustration....and have settled into a better understanding of the situation?

If so, I hope you are comfortable with how the issue between the two of you... concluded. My hat is off to you that you vented here...instead of to her.

That being said, communication is the key to an honest...forthcoming...successful marriage. I trust in the future you will feel comfortable in going to her...and allow her to put your disagreements to right. This is how the two of you will learn if your philosophy will be cohesive to live a happy and fulfilled forever marriage.

Whether the community here agrees or disagrees with ones direction, is not the issue. But it is most important that you put all your cards on the table...so your finance is aware of the rules of the game. You don''t have to please us...only her. With the exchange of your ring (where ever it is..or kept
2.gif
), and promise of commitment you are pledging to do just that.

DKS

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I''m glad you came to a conclusion that you and her can live with.

But honestly, I think you are worrying WAY to much what a bunch of strangers on an internet site are thinking of you. I really do. You came and asked for advice and got it. And then spent huge amounts of energy explaining yourself and justifying yourself.

I am one who disagreed with how you presented yourself and found it offensive. But so what. Thats my opinon. You post on the internet and you are going to get disagreement. Heck, my husband and I disagree all the time, thats life.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
But honestly, I think you are worrying WAY to much what a bunch of strangers on an internet site are thinking of you. I really do. You came and asked for advice and got it. And then spent huge amounts of energy explaining yourself and justifying yourself.

I am one who disagreed with how you presented yourself and found it offensive. But so what. Thats my opinon. You post on the internet and you are going to get disagreement. Heck, my husband and I disagree all the time, thats life.

Yeah, I second that! Now, we have a whole second thread going???

20.gif

Sorry to be so blunt, but I think the first thread should have been closed and the discussion ended, rather than a NEW one being started where we're suppose to praise you for all being well and that we will forgive you for your offensive comments.

(ETA - I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just being honest!)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/14/2007 11:04:38 AM
Author:WorkingHardforSmallRewards
(After all, once she moves to a new community she is going to find out her diamond isn''t actually all that impressive
6.gif

Well, I know there is no danger of that, but please post the specs here. Some of us do not know them!

Deb
34.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2007 11:04:38 AM
Author:WorkingHardforSmallRewards
well I know this is beating a dead horse now, but a lot of people on here have gotten the wrong impression of me and my character so I wanted to at least give the conclusion what happened in this thread: . There were way too many things stated that didn't actually match up with the reality of my relationship, so I won't even try to address them all. I also decided to put the big finale in a new thread as I don't really want people to continue responding negatively to my initial post and missing this conclusion post, so I will send a message asking PS to close that one. At any rate, this is how it ended:

We broke up.

Just joking

alright well the conclusion was:

today on the bus I told her I wanted to bring it up with her one last time and then I will not mention it anymore. (and remember, there have been 125 post on it here already and I have only mentioned it a couple of times to her, so it wasn't beating a dead horse with her like it is now here)

I explained to her that when I was initially looking at Erings I didn't TRULY understand the whole ring/engagement idea. I even contemplated other engagement options that might be available, though not for long as I had talked with her and new her expectations, so I was just trying to understand why it made sense.

My first initial understanding was, of course, social requirements and expectations. Thus my first reaction was to head down to the mall or local jewelery store and pick something up and head home, and bear the burden of paying for it... I have never been much of a 'decorating' or accessory kind of guy in my past.

But, I kept thinking about it, and I imagine for every person there are different meanings to the Ering. In my case, I spend most of the year away from her, I don't get to interact with her daily life and usually when she gets home she is exhausted, calls me to say goodnight and thats it. So when I thought about the Ering more it began to become several things for me. The first and second most obvious meaning is that it became a symbol of our bond, and so I began researching how to make sure that my diamond was beautiful.

Then, I began to appreciate that idea that it could become a reminder to her throughout the day. She works alot, and I am in no way afraid of losing her or that she will cheat on me. The ring is not a means of 'marking my territory' as has been suggested in the other thread. admitted, after being mean for a while, that she had not been thinking about me for a while and it was causing tension between us. WheIt is instead just a simple way for me, while being far away from her, to have a place in her daily life. While she is working so hard, and has so many things to deal with it is very easy for her to not think about me, and we have had problems before where she n I can't see her for months and months at a time, and she is not thinking about me...well, it was ok when she was my girlfriend and I worked hard to maintain that presence in her life, but I really want my fiance to think about me a bit more throughout the day you know? not in an oppressive way, but I simply want to have more of a presence in her daily life. So I began to feel that with the Ering, it is something that she can constantly wear on her person, and throughout the day she will glance down and see it, and suddenly no matter how busy she is or how tired she is she will remember me and remember our relationship. Not to mark her or keep away guys (except at a bar or somewhere similar of course) but to simply have a presence with her that I can not have while she is living so far away from me. However, I told her, if she can not wear it at work, then I understand.

Then I asked her if she thought that she might, eventually, begin to feel as her mom does, and alot of other people in her community feel, that the Ering is really meant to be worn on special occasions. She agreed that alot of people do feel that way, and that while she is at work she can't wear it. But, she said that she loves to show it off, and everybody has told her that they have never seen a diamond as beautiful as hers (Thanks PS, AGS, and everybody who helped, including James Allen!...and don't forget the small diamonds often found in Fukuoka!
2.gif
) So, she said that she loves to wear it and will always wear it when she isn't working, and she really wants to show it off. Then she said that she always sees her customer's engagment rings now, when she is working, and she always thinks that hers is better than there's:) (Thank god none of you live in Fukuoka, most of you would totally rip mine to pieces if she compared the two!
6.gif
)

So I am ok with that, and I am glad that my fear that it might become a situation like her mother's and so many others, wearing it only 1 or 2 times a year, if that much, will not happen. After all, if she doesn't wear it for most of the day now, right after I gave it to her, what about 1 month from now? and 5 months from now when the newness of it all wears off? Anyway, it all worked out, thanks for your concern and I am terribly sorry for there being so many misconceptions of me and my character, hopefully that will pass with time, as I happen to love this diamond forum and won't be going anywhere, but will rather be learning more about diamonds.

(After all, once she moves to a new community she is going to find out her diamond isn't actually all that impressive
6.gif
oh crap! here I come again James Allen!)
I can understand you wanting her to think of you in her daily life. Hopefully, she does not need a ring as a reminder. How much of the year are you apart? When will you be together on a sustained basis? What is the longest time you have been together on a sustained basis? Please excuse the barrage of questions, but I really am trying to understand your situation. It's the counselor in me that wants to probe deeper. If you want to drop it, just let me know and I'll zip my lip
17.gif

Well, sorry Asccher
9.gif
When she is working I have ALOT of free time on my hands...and nobody to talk to
14.gif
so for me it didn't require too much energy.

I wouldn't care at all of both threads were deleted at this point:) and I certainly didn't create this thread for praise, as there was nothing praiseworthy that occurred. I just didn't want to post in that thread, comeback to check responses and have to read a whole bunch of insults from people who read my initial post but not my last one, and so I opened a new one. I also believe, MC, that if I could actually address the points where you felt I was offensive that most of it would have been centered around some misunderstandings, but I just don't see anyway to address those in this situation, so you can view me as you wish and as I may have inadvertently portrayed myself.

Overall, despite a few posts that I found very offensive, and some pretty wide spread misunderstanding it was always a nice break from wandering around the city in the heat:)

I also had no idea it was going to become such a big issue! I was expecting to get online and vent, most people ignore me. A few ideas on how to address it with her, a little bit of criticism and that was it, then the next thing I knew there were 60 posts, then 125. Good advice bad advice, vague comments about how people had been questioning my personality up until this point and how they now thought such terrible things bout me they couldn't even write it down. I was shocked! lol. So I also really just didn't want to post in that thread anymore! lol

Hey rising sun, happy belated Bday to you! I hope you enjoyed the cake, I know I did:).
I don't mind explaining, if you want to read, but I imagine it can't be too interesting:)

As to our situation. I started out college as a math major in Texas for one year, where I met her. She is 3 years older than me, graduated, and went back to Japan. I transfered Universities and continued my math major for 3 years, and though it honestly wouldn't take too much time for me to finish it at this point and I will probably finish it up in the future, I began to hate my math classes. I couldn't stand sitting through them and my grades were falling, not doing work etc. I decided that I couldn't handle a mathematicians life and decided to pursue what I had wanted to pursue initially, but turned away from because of fear of financial trouble (I was thinking of becoming a professor with the math degree, which would have made a little bit more money). So I changed my major to Elementary education and have done that for the past year, hopefully I will finish that before too long now... I work full time as well, at a daycare. They are very understanding at the daycare and prepare for when I am gone, so I manage to head over to Japan for 2 weeks in spring break (I skip one week of classes
6.gif
though I won't be able to this year because of internships), two weeks at Christmas, and 1 1/2-2months in the summer.

If you run a search for "Workinghard's future fiance's ring" it should show up. I am afraid it really isn't much though! Doing college all that jazz plus going to Japan 3 times a year has left me very poor, lol, so I scrounged around and gathered up what I could for a ring but it isn't really too impressive, and CERTAINLY not impressive by PS standards!. Aside from just paying for the trips here, taking the time off of work is just as expensive and stressful as working to pay for the trips... so I think everybody is probably just being really nice and she is really gullible:) not nearly so impressive as she thinks it is:) though in this community it is much more so than when we start living in the states.

She wants to get married next summer. She also has been saving her money and wants to take a 3-6 month vacation. I don't know about 6 months, but 3 months shouldn't be a problem so she will probably head down 2-3 months before our wedding. We still have a lot more to learn about what paperwork needs to be filled out and how to really make all of this happen though. Her family (and the males on my side of the family) want to do it in Hawaii but I don't know about that...as her grandmother started crying and thanked me, because she really wants to see her Granddaughter get married before she dies...and I don't think her health is going to allow her to make the trip to Hawaii and back. so a lot of issues have yet to be worked out, thats for sure. I suspect it wont actually happen until next next Christmas and she will come to the states sometime next sep. Anyway, good or bad, thats the situation
1.gif

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for taking the time to explain the situation. I think you''re very resilient to keep taking the knockbacks
2.gif
At the end of the day, it doesn''t matter what we think, only what your fiancee thinks. I''m glad you came on here and vented instead of saying those things to her.

Long distance relationships are difficult because you''re away from each other for such long periods of time. But out of sight should not mean out of mind... that''s all I''ll say about the subject.

All the best to both of you, and stop belittling that beautiful ring! It really is gorgeous
1.gif

yea, there has only been one time were we had a problem because she wasn't thinking about me:) but honestly, with the hours she works I can understand. So, we just rely on emails to her cell phone and thankfully, we have vonage!:) unlimited phone calls for 16 bucks a month:) When we first started this long distance I had like a 250 dollar a month phone bill just to talk to her!:)

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your response. I hope that you and your FI will have the chance to spend that time together, well before the wedding. I think it will be very helpful for both of you. My last word on the ring: neither "adore" it nor put it down... It is a lovely ring. Enjoy it, with your FI, in a non-stressful context. Happy birthday to us
1.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/14/2007 8:43:11 PM
Author: WorkingHardforSmallRewards
If you run a search for ''Workinghard''s future fiance''s ring'' it should show up. I am afraid it really isn''t much though! Doing college all that jazz plus going to Japan 3 times a year has left me very poor, lol, so I scrounged around and gathered up what I could for a ring but it isn''t really too impressive, and CERTAINLY not impressive by PS standards!.

Here is a link to the thread which has photos of the ring. I thought the photos on page two of the thread were absolutely gorgeous! The stone is an E VS2.

Deborah
34.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WHfSR: once again, I have to say I think it''s great that you felt comfortable coming here to vent your frustrations. We can be a tough crowd, but in the end we are all just trying to help and there are a lot of different opinions and points of view, but that is a GOOD thing! You''re right when you say that no one can see your facial expressions, hear your tone of voice, etc., and that has been a topic in many threads that end up getting heated such as yours did. No one knows your situation as well as you, and basically we are all making some assumptions from the wording and punctuation a poster uses. It''s nothing like real life, but you CAN gain some insight from all of the responses, imo, whether they are positive or negative. The most important thing here is that you and your FI are very much in love and you both want to work on making each other happy. I hope that we''ve been of some help to you both, and I personally wish you the very best of luck in your relationship, upcoming wedding, and marriage!
36.gif
I''m not saying I agreed with everything you''ve ever posted, but I respect your feelings and personal beliefs and opinions, and I think you''re a brave soul for being yourself--that alone is something to be commended.
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results