shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelers TALKING DOWN Technology, HCA, Ideal-Scope, Etc??? Are they crooks?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

find45di2

Shiny_Rock
It seems like the more I educate myself on diamonds, the more jewelers try to debunk all of the technologies you are all suggesting to use to help choose a good diamond. I have been reading the forums for a few days now and feel confident in the replies that you have all shared, especially a few of you who seem to stick out as true professionals.

I realize that a diamond cannot be bought just on the specs in a GIA/AGS certificate, or what the HCA says, but I do understand how these different things can help make a wise educated decision to purchase a diamond which may actually hold more value than the next.

What I don''t get is why the more I seem to learn, the more jewelers try to tell me that lots of this stuff is just more confusion and the truth is in the look of the diamond. Now I understand that, but the truth is that my eye is nowhere near trained to know the differences of what is good, and what is not other than from imperfections, and actual shimmer when comparing diamond to diamond.

So I understand what they are saying when they say buy a diamond that looks the nicest to you, but the truth is that I might not know what the nicest looks like to begin with.

I do not want to spend a ton of cash "just" on what I think looks good, I want to be sure it is also valuable and on the higher end of the diamond charts.

The Ideal-Scope seems to show its benefit with ease, and the HCA seems to be a decent way of figuring out what are workable angles, and what aren''t.

So when the jewelers try to debunk all of these technologies, does anyone feel like they are doing this to "uneducate", or is it an honest statement?

I personally feel it is a little bit of both, but in the end they sure to seem to agree and tell me whatever I want to hear when I am shopping. They also conveniently steer you way from these different technologies and back to the cert grading''s which all seems too reliant on a cert that might not have it all right.

Opinions from the pro''s and regular shoppers and viewers are appreciated and encouraged! :)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
In my experience the jeweler's that debunk these technologies are very old school. Are they good jeweler's?? For the most part yes, but are behind the times. Most will not know what an idealscope is, nor will they be versed in the HCA, or sarins. Most will focus on clarity and color. When they should be addressing CUT!! You have to sort through them like you do searching out any professional.

I have a new job for me, I can go into stores as a secret shopper and critique their SA's!! Oh wouldn't that be fun!! JK!!!!!!
25.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
IMO, jewelers who try and convince you that certs are wasteless, HCA is bad, idealscopes don''t tell you anything, etc. are just selling stones that will score poorly on these things!

Now some vendors like Mark at ERD, don''t necessarily embrace these technologies as fast as other companies. BUT he''s also the first vendor to send you to PS to educate yourself! So I think that is a major difference. Some jewelers just don''t like to use it themselves, but will tell you they can be useful tools. And some flat out lie-those are the ones that are probably selling sub par stones. Or else they are just very very uneducated about diamonds which is also very possible!

find45di2

Shiny_Rock
So from what you''ve replied to so far, I will stick to considering these technologies, especially since the HCA is a quick simple test. I would consider purchasing an Ideal-Scope but I am trying to buy a diamond like....tomorrow! or in the next day or two so I am hoping to go with what I have available which is the HCA, the Certificate Information, and this forum and everyone''s knowledge!

Garry, I think it is great that you created such a cool little tool that anyone can use to "aid" in trying their best to find a better diamond in a world of so many choices and opinions.

Anyone else have comments to my original post?:)

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, you are under the gun to buy quickly! Good luck!
I think it is much easier for salespeople to 'debunk' the tools/technologies available than for them to try to understand them on a deep enough level to be able to fully discuss them. Much quicker and easier to say 'that is nonsense' than to try to explain things to a consumer, especially if the seller does not fully understand the technology him or herself. It is difficult for a seller to be able to participate intelligently in a discussion if they do not fully grasp the concepts being presented, and understanding and researching diamonds, cutting, etc can literally be a full time job. Much easier to be lazy and not make the effort it requires to understand!!
I recall the explanation of fluoro has evolved like that - much easier to tell a consumer it is bad, than to get into a detailed conversation of how it is stone dependent, etc, etc.

But yes, in the end, the beauty is all in the eye of the consumer (provided the consumer is not tricked into buying a stone with special lighting in the store, or gets a deep stone's pavillion dirty, or sets a poorly cut stone in a setting where no ambient light can sneak through the sides to try to help it out, etc, etc)

eta: of and of course they will talk it down if they have poor stones that will score poorly when being examined if it means they will lose a sale!!!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’ve not heard much in the way of debunking that holds much water. To be sure diamonds are an emotional purchase and not everyone is looking for the same things but it’s pretty easy to demonstrate that, on average, people prefer the look of diamonds that do well with an IS and/or that the major labs have assigned their highest cut grades. I’ve done this test many times. Show someone several similar diamonds in a variety of different lighting environments and ask them to rank them in order of their preferences without the use of any special tools. A clear pattern emerges when you inspect the stones with the tools and compare the results. There’s not a 100% correlation but to call it ‘bunk’ without explanation or alternative is ignoring the facts.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

dunndeal

Rough_Rock
The problem with a lot of jewelers today is there fear of future when it comes to selling diamonds. Technology is advancing at such a rapid rate that it can be difficult to keep up. It''s kinda like when your parents asked you how to work the VCR and, now, the new thing is downloading movies from Amazon to your TIVO. It''s entirely understandable how some of us could get left behind. Now if diamonds are your livelihood not keeping up with technology could put you in a very precarious situation.

The tools that you are discussing on this thread are indeed useful but are not widely know in brick and mortar establishments. This is no excuse for the B&M jewelers to talk these tools down but this is probably more of a defensive posturing than anything else. It would be a good idea for the jewelers to read sites like Pricescope so they can see what potential customers are discussing rather than just gathering information from strictly trade sources. I think a lot of jewelers are waiting for a Hail Mary pass to save them from the internet. The harsh reality is that the pass isn''t coming!

We ourselves were probably guilty of some of this five years ago, but thankfully we got with the program in early 2000. Now we are encouraging our sales staff to use the internet daily on our time to read sites like Pricescope and surf the web along side the customer when they say "I saw this or that on the web." It''s helped our business tremendously to embrace technology instead of discredit it.

Thanks for reading

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah ... think of it like talking to your grandparents ... if your grandparents were used car salesmen
3.gif
. Honestly I don''t think most jewelers are "trying to steer your wrong" -- they''re trying to steer you toward THEIR OWN inventory, which they probably think is just as good as any other stones you''re likely to find. I *don''t* assume that they KNOW there is a whole world of super ideal stones to be had & by selling you THEIRS they''re keeping you from that treasure trove. They''re just doing biz as usual --as opposed to "cutting edge technologies & cut grades etc etc"

I am wondering what ct range you are looking at. I know that alot of the smaller ct sizes don''t usually carry certs in my local jewelery stores, so if it were amongst those uncommonly certified and where the jewelers don''t really know what the angles are then it would make sense that they would have to argue against technology, because they want to push the merchandise they have selected as pretty enough to sell themselves (or perhaps at the right price per ct weight to sell themselves?)

I met alot of people that argued against analyzing numbers in any fashion, some of which were GIA graduates and AGS buisnesses. These people, it seemed obvious to me, were just saying that because they made more profit off uncertified small diamonds, and that is what they had available, so they just said "it doesn''t matter, don''t worry about it." But then you look at their display case for the 1+ct diamonds and what do you see? certificates and information about cut, angles, how grades are determined and how important that cut information is.

seems to me, probably just pushing whatever makes them the most money and they happen to have available.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2007 10:28:30 AM
Author: dunndeal
The problem with a lot of jewelers today is there fear of future when it comes to selling diamonds. Technology is advancing at such a rapid rate that it can be difficult to keep up. It''s kinda like when your parents asked you how to work the VCR and, now, the new thing is downloading movies from Amazon to your TIVO. It''s entirely understandable how some of us could get left behind. Now if diamonds are your livelihood not keeping up with technology could put you in a very precarious situation.

The tools that you are discussing on this thread are indeed useful but are not widely know in brick and mortar establishments. This is no excuse for the B&M jewelers to talk these tools down but this is probably more of a defensive posturing than anything else. It would be a good idea for the jewelers to read sites like Pricescope so they can see what potential customers are discussing rather than just gathering information from strictly trade sources. I think a lot of jewelers are waiting for a Hail Mary pass to save them from the internet. The harsh reality is that the pass isn''t coming!

We ourselves were probably guilty of some of this five years ago, but thankfully we got with the program in early 2000. Now we are encouraging our sales staff to use the internet daily on our time to read sites like Pricescope and surf the web along side the customer when they say ''I saw this or that on the web.'' It''s helped our business tremendously to embrace technology instead of discredit it.

Thanks for reading
great post and good for you! those, in any business, that are able to adapt and change to meet their customers needs will be the ones to succeed.
of course, i have had the same experience as the op where local jewelers vehemently discredit anything related to internet diamonds and diamond buying. little did they realize that if they would have spent the same energy trying to understand what i was wanting instead of trying to totally discredit all the things i was saying, they would have made a sale.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2007 10:28:30 AM
Author: dunndeal

The tools that you are discussing on this thread are indeed useful but are not widely know in brick and mortar establishments. This is no excuse for the B&M jewelers to talk these tools down but this is probably more of a defensive posturing than anything else. It would be a good idea for the jewelers to read sites like Pricescope so they can see what potential customers are discussing rather than just gathering information from strictly trade sources. I think a lot of jewelers are waiting for a Hail Mary pass to save them from the internet. The harsh reality is that the pass isn't coming!

We ourselves were probably guilty of some of this five years ago, but thankfully we got with the program in early 2000. Now we are encouraging our sales staff to use the internet daily on our time to read sites like Pricescope and surf the web along side the customer when they say 'I saw this or that on the web.' It's helped our business tremendously to embrace technology instead of discredit it.
Excellent post.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For more than two years I have been trying, with very limited success, to introduce technological advancement to retail jewelers and diamond dealers in my local area. They like looking and are willing to come over for a soda and a sandwich, but just don''t want to change without being driven into it. I don''t blame them for not wanting to fix something that, to them, is not broken.

I am embarking right now on the last of my advertising attempts, in my local region, to find a few forward thinking retailers, but I fear, it won''t meet with any degree of success beyond casual interest or skepticism. I am, instead, preparing advertising that will be placed in the local university newspapers and electronic website versions giving the information to future customers who I see will be the ones to drive the move to technology.

Many retailers have told me that they will not change until they feel the need to do so. Diamond dealers have told me they won''t change until their retail store customers make them change. So, its up to consumers to ask for more answers than most retailers and dealers are prepared to give them today. These answers are beginning to be available, but as was stated above, are not well known by retailers or dealers. Those retailers and dealers who are active on Pricescope are the huge exception to the overall situation. They have advance knowledge and can take the lead, if they choose to. Even with this knowledge remains doubt. Technology never appears in a perfect form. Once used, it can be improved. Everyone is scared of being first, yet everyone wants to know how well the technology works. Some have made the analogy to finding a virgin with lots of experience. A very difficult task.....

The simplest tools are often the best for general use. We have some excellent screening tools right now. Some of the more high-tech tools are just beginning their steps to a more general audience.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi find45di2,

Each day we work hands on with such technologies as

HCA
GemEx BrillianceScope
DiamCalc
Isee2
DiamXray
IdealScope
AGS ASET
AGS PGS software
GIA DiamondDock
Sarin
Helium
OGI

In a nutshell, technologies can be of great help for weeding out rare combinations of proportions that perform excellently however not all of the above do so as accurately as the next and there are cetainly ones that I favor over others, HOWEVER there isn''t a single technology available that can predict what your brain will conceive as "the best" which is why you looking and comparing for yourself is important. I''ve written articles on many of these technologies demonstrating both pros and cons of each if you''re interested.

Kind regards,

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello find45,

You raise some excellent points. I can speak from experience as I grew up in a retail jewelry family owned store environment.
Today, many adult children have taken over the family jewelry business from their conservative parents who were great salespeople but
technologically impaired
8.gif

Some of these new family owners (the kids) never advanced forward from what their parents taught them about the business.
Others DID and embraced all the new technology that is available.
Guess which family became more successful?

I''ve said this countless times on PS....Don''t expect your local jeweler to know about Pricescope, or the HCA, or even that Whiteflash
isn''t some new sports car. Real world...store owners have 9000 things to do everyday and reading consumer forums isn''t often on their
"to do" list. IT SHOULD BE, HOWEVER!!

Pricescope has been a valuable barometer for the industry professional in determining what''s important to the diamond buying public.
Their fears, concerns, likes, and dislikes.
If a store owner is serious about making a living in this business...he can''t be in denial.

Jeff Averbook, G.G. (Graduate Gemologist since 1986)

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If those who hold these positive opinions about the coming of technology to the diamond busiess are correct, there is going to be a huge shakeout of people fixed in the traditional mode over next few coming years. The message here is as clear as it can be. I don''t believe I have ever had such a clear view of the future in any other instance that seemed so apparent, yet most folks march on with the other 9000 things to do to run their existing business and won''t look up to see the change right before them.

For this exact reason, I have concluded late last night that any effort at creating demand and change must come from the informed consumer. Sure, informed retailers and dealers can take some steps in the right direction, too. The main demand needs to come from the consumer, and that''s where my energy will be directed from this point forward.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/8/2007 1:12:06 PM
Author: oldminer
For more than two years I have been trying, with very limited success, to introduce technological advancement to retail jewelers and diamond dealers in my local area. They like looking and are willing to come over for a soda and a sandwich, but just don''t want to change without being driven into it. I don''t blame them for not wanting to fix something that, to them, is not broken.

I am embarking right now on the last of my advertising attempts, in my local region, to find a few forward thinking retailers, but I fear, it won''t meet with any degree of success beyond casual interest or skepticism. I am, instead, preparing advertising that will be placed in the local university newspapers and electronic website versions giving the information to future customers who I see will be the ones to drive the move to technology.

Many retailers have told me that they will not change until they feel the need to do so. Diamond dealers have told me they won''t change until their retail store customers make them change. So, its up to consumers to ask for more answers than most retailers and dealers are prepared to give them today. These answers are beginning to be available, but as was stated above, are not well known by retailers or dealers. Those retailers and dealers who are active on Pricescope are the huge exception to the overall situation. They have advance knowledge and can take the lead, if they choose to. Even with this knowledge remains doubt. Technology never appears in a perfect form. Once used, it can be improved. Everyone is scared of being first, yet everyone wants to know how well the technology works. Some have made the analogy to finding a virgin with lots of experience. A very difficult task.....

The simplest tools are often the best for general use. We have some excellent screening tools right now. Some of the more high-tech tools are just beginning their steps to a more general audience.
All well said Dave. so get out there you Prosumers and challenge them thar trinket floggers. Do not be afraid to walk in to stores with Ideal and ASET scopes - especialy Tiffany and HW etc - because they are the ones that should lead changes, but do not either until they see a need.

29.gif
love your turn of phrase Dave
30.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I certainly don't think they're crooks. I think they're genuinely frustrated that people expect them to know more than they do, and sometimes PSers can get a little nitpicky.
2.gif
But those who aren't willing to learn new technologies and consider having a web presence will be left behind. This is precisely how BlueNile started -- a jeweler heard a piece on the radio about how businesses that want to survive need to have a web presence, so he cobbled together a website, which was bought by a savvy internet investor.

Imagine if you went to your local auto dealer to buy a car, and as you ask about what accessories and what color you can have, you discover that their inventory is limited and that their prices are high. You try your darnest to negotiate a better price, all the while knowing you are probably losing the game. What if you could just log onto the internet, customize your car exactly how you want it, and pay 20% less than what they are asking? You'd be a fool not to. But at that stage of the game, what is the local dealer supposed to do? It only follows that some will go out of business. If you can't beat them, join them. But it seems that some jewelers aren't willing to join them, so they just try to scorn them.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2007 5:29:42 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

All well said Dave. so get out there you Prosumers and challenge them thar trinket floggers. Do not be afraid to walk in to stores with Ideal and ASET scopes - especialy Tiffany and HW etc - because they are the ones that should lead changes, but do not either until they see a need.

29.gif
30.gif
That sounds all well and good Gary, but it's not so easy trying to DO it, for we who have no credentials under our belt. I mean, imagine this scenario, which actually took place.

When I first started shopping for my upgrade, my BIL recommended his jeweler, a rather prominent one in St. Louis. So, I call and tell the gal what size range, color, and clarity I'm looking at. Her immediate response was, "You've been on the internet".

Whaaaaa? She gleened that from just the little bit I gave here?? She then tried to tell me there were no "magic numbers". And was rather rude and condescending. I hung up, got really mad, and called her boss, who had a talk with her. She then called back, apologized and did a good amount of backpeddling. Too late.

I guess they were used to people coming in, giving them a budget, and those people bought whatever they shoved in front of them.

Now, you want me to go in there talking technology??
yikes2.gif

This is just one of MANY sad stories I have like this. I'm sorry, if I can't even get past the basics with them, I give up.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/8/2007 5:54:58 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 8/8/2007 5:29:42 PM

29.gif
30.gif
That sounds all well and good Gary, but it''s not so easy trying to DO it, for we who have no credentials under our belt. I mean, imagine this scenario, which actually took place.

When I first started shopping for my upgrade, my BIL recommended his jeweler, a rather prominent one in St. Louis. So, I call and tell the gal what size range, color, and clarity I''m looking at. Her immediate response was, ''You''ve been on the internet''.

Whaaaaa? She gleened that from just the little bit I gave here?? She then tried to tell me there were no ''magic numbers''. And was rather rude and condescending. I hung up, got really mad, and called her boss, who had a talk with her. She then called back, apologized and did a good amount of backpeddling. Too late.

I guess they were used to people coming in, giving them a budget, and those people bought whatever they shoved in front of them.

Now, you want me to go in there talking technology??
yikes2.gif

This is just one of MANY sad stories I have like this. I''m sorry, if I can''t even get past the basics with them, I give up.
We need missionaries if we want to change the world Ellen

what can they do? Call security?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2007 6:19:41 PM

lol.gif

I can just see the headlines now...

A local woman was taken into custody today after becoming embroiled in a heated argument with the owner of a local jeweler. While details are still sketchy at this time, it is believed she had some weapons on her person. Witness''s described 2 small plastic, cylyndrical type devices that were confiscated.

While it is unknown as to why the argument arose, she was overheard yelling something about her ideal assets, which at this time we cannot explain, nor wish to comment on....
9.gif
25.gif

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/8/2007 6:49:52 PM

lol.gif

A local woman was taken into custody today after becoming embroiled in a heated argument with the owner of a local jeweler. While details are still sketchy at this time, it is believed she had some weapons on her person. Witness's described 2 small plastic, cylyndrical type devices that were confiscated.

While it is unknown as to why the argument arose, she was overheard yelling something about her ideal assets, which at this time we cannot explain, nor wish to comment on....
9.gif
25.gif

ROTFL!

My experience has been that the high-end independent jewelers do not feel the least bit threatened by Internet and technology. They've usually made attempts to show how their products compare to and correlate with the "magic numbers, " etc. It's the "Maul" jewelry chains that have been condescending, rude, or hostile. Who cares? They aren't every going to sell me a solitaire. Their diamonds are always "certified" by some fly-by-night, not AGS, GIA, or EGL. G.A.L. is my absolute favorite. I can hardly keep a straight face when they pull out cert from there. Was it the gal who does the bookkeeping, the gal at Taco Bell, the gal on the street corner who always asks the guys "Hey do you wanna party?" ;-) Inquiring minds want to know...

Invairably the Maul stones have onlt good or fair symmetry, big tables (58% or more for RB. They tend to be deep & face small for the ct wt, and they are either low color with high clarity, or high color with I1 or even I2 clarity. Sometimes it's even just "I" clarity. These people obviously don't want to try pitching this stuff to educated buyers.

Edit: I found this true in the metropolitan area that I formerly resided in, not in the hick-sticks current location. Nobody would ever accuse this area of being progressive, LOL.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Ellen~your post has me ROFLMAO
3.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

lol.gif

A local woman was taken into custody today after becoming embroiled in a heated argument with the owner of a local jeweler. While details are still sketchy at this time, it is believed she had some weapons on her person. Witness''s described 2 small plastic, cylyndrical type devices that were confiscated.

9.gif
25.gif
Fabulous!!! Absolutely Fabulous Ellen
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
I did a bit of 47th street browsing and went armed with my asset and ideal. Was just having fun and using in different locations, and I was asked by all the stores what was I using.

I was asked if they could try it, and I had fun explaining what they should be looking for. I even had one ask me where he could get one.

yea, while my stuff is the low budget stuff I got for free with my hearts and arrows from JA (ugh, I saw a picture of the box they come in from WF, made me start drooling) but everybody in Japan laughs every time I bring them out. However, they all know about the symmetry scopes at least, and usually have some of their own on the counter:) They get a big kick out of it though, when I bust out the loupe, and then the IS.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/8/2007 1:12:06 PM
Author: oldminer

I''m hearing you Dave and truly I applaud your forward thinking. I remember when I first signed up with rapnet (a trade search engine) and saw it had the ability to upload Sarin 3d files only to see that only a couple of suppliers actually did so.
40.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

lol.gif

9.gif
25.gif
ROFLMAO!!!
9.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/8/2007 11:23:43 PM
Author: Eva17
I did a bit of 47th street browsing and went armed with my asset and ideal. Was just having fun and using in different locations, and I was asked by all the stores what was I using.

I was asked if they could try it, and I had fun explaining what they should be looking for. I even had one ask me where he could get one.
That''s funny Eva. I do the same thing. I''ve been at shows before with my portable DiamXray setup and have had as many as 15 people around asking what I was looking at/for. At one show in Vegas I wound up teaching a small class at one dealers booth.

Missionaries Garry? They''re already on the march.
41.gif

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
To be fair, maul jewelers are doing what the diamond trade wants them to do.
Pitch diamonds. It''s their calling. It puts food on their tables.
Blow out the ones that don''t meet the criteria that the most savvy of consumers are looking for. I interviewed a rep from that behemoth diamond marketing organization, and asked her why, if there were so many nice diamonds available, they continued to supply diamonds of such questionable pedigree.
Her answer was,
"Not everyone can buy a nice diamond"
And, so, that''s it, in a nutshell. THEY want everyone to own diamonds, crap included.
Save the good stuff for the runway.
There are plenty of suppliers whose business depends on selling to these retailers at modest prices, and plenty of consumers who will buy these stones because of price, or because they simply want to fill a need in under an hour. Most men know nothing about diamonds, or jewellery, or anything beyond the perceived need to have one in a moment of blind passion.

If you ask a retailer for what they don''t have, they will find you to be a waste of time. They know you will move on instead of waiting for them to order the stone you want.
Don''t bother yourself with it, they are in the "full meal deal" mode of making sales. They will do fine without you, thank you very much.

But don''t discredit those who discredit the whole techie thing surrounding diamonds which the internet vendors DEPEND ON in order to sell diamonds. Really, what else do they have to go on? Cut criteria is damned important, I agree, but there are plenty of reports of really horrible stones with fantastic cut criteria being sold through the Internet on numbers and a lot of stroking. Yuck.

We sell a vast number of AGS 000 diamonds because they are beautiful, not because we wave a cert in front of the client. Paper is only paper. The stones speak for themselves.
The retailers who are in the business of making jewellery depend on selling stones which are beautiful. After all, why put expensive labour into something which will raise questions?? The diamonds must be beautiful, the mounts must be outstanding, or...you''re just like the maul guys, pitching third-world copies of prestigious brands at bottom-feeder prices.

There''s more to an engagement ring than the diamond, and we shouldn''t belittle the point.
I visited JCK Las Vegas a couple of months ago, and was horrified to discover that a whole lot of really nice stones are being sent overseas to set into bloody awful mounts, so that the diamond trade will have their way, and the consumer will have their bottom line price, only to be left with a disappointment down the road.
It was a beautiful stone, though. Too bad nobody knows where it went.

Get past the diamond thing, its the mountings which we should be talking about. That''s what keeps the stone on the wearer''s finger, and the number of failings of rather simple mountings should be a shocking embarrassment to the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results