shape
carat
color
clarity

Cocktail Hour- Am I cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I''ve heard of a "heavy appetizers" at receptions, but what if you''re having a "heavy meal"....

is it ok to have just the standard veggie/dip tray and cheese/cracker/antipasti tray during the cocktail hour?
why am i freaking out that people will think we''re being cheap if there''s no hot appetizers passed during cocktail hour? let me explain-

our wedding is in the fall at a country museum (i.e. rustic elegance is the feel we''re going for).
we are going with very standard fare with a comfort-food theme- carved turkey with all the trimmings, carved roast beef, mashed potatoes, homemade biscuits/breads, you get the idea.

we''re also having a chocolate fountain after dinner with coffee service (instead of a sweets table) with all sorts of fruits,etc. and other goodies for dipping.

frankly i don''t see the need for hot apps, but am i being cheap? unreasonable? i am under 70 days out and need a sanity check- thanks

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
No way! I would not think you were being cheap at all. In fact, I''m not sure I would even notice.

Particularly if there''s a heavy meal afterward, I think you''re A-OK.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''m planning on doing tiny sandwiches and little scones with jam and cream instead of canapes.

My wedding is at 3pm, so I reckon most people will have eaten lunch. The reception will be at 6.00pm and I can''t think of anything worse than a load of hot, greasy canapes (which is what you tend to get on the whole in the UK) on a hot summers afternoon with all that food to follow.

Go for it - doesn''t sound cheap to me

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you''re just fine. The only wedding I''ve been to that had a cocktail hour, there weren''t snacks at all!!
2.gif

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/16/2007 7:30:12 PM
Author: Pandora II
I''m planning on doing tiny sandwiches and little scones with jam and cream instead of canapes.

Pandora- yum! can I come? I just had my first "real" scone with cream recently at a tea shop near us and I cannot believe what I''ve been missing.
2.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
labbie, I think your whole plan, including veggies, antipasta, etc. sounds perfect. We skipped on hot hors d''ouevres (spelling is wrong, but close enough!) and had cheese, fruits, etc. on a large table for our cocktail hour. We didn''t want people to get so full they didn''t eat dinner. It sounds like with your entree/sides selections the same would ring true. Get down off the ledge, there is no reason to add to what you''ve already chosen.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love appetizers so we''re having as many as our budget will allow. BUT we''re getting married next summer and we''ll try to choose light foods for the meal. I LOVE your idea of having comfort foods at your reception!! If I were doing that, then yes, I''d go for light appetizers or just cheese, fruit, veggies, and crackers too. I don''t think anyone would notice or miss heavier apps.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''d just make sure you have enough of what you ARE having...reason being, you dont want people getting piss drunk at the cocktail reception because they drank too much on an empty stomach. That would be my only consideration.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think as long as the meal is nice, you are fine. I often load up on apps because that is often the best part of the meal, but if there were light apps and then I went into the dinner and it was great, I would be thrilled. sounds yummy by the way!

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
We''re doing something similar to you -- we''re having fruit, cheese and crackers and assorted breads with flavored butters. I went to a wedding with light app''s and we didn''t care at all, and I''ve been to those with passed hors d''oeuvres and I thought I really got more at the wedding with the fruit and veggies because you rarely see the waiter who is passing the hot stuff. Plus, we''re doing a 4 course dinner as well (soup, salad, larger dinner then dessert) and we don''t want people to not eat dinner because they got stuffed before.

We are, however, going to have TONS of cheese and crackers, breads and fruit because I wouldn''t want there to not be enough.

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone- yes good points-

I had the same worry about the making sure we have enough of what we are having. I will ask caterer how that works, and to keep an eye out,etc.

Also will split what we are having among 2 or 3 smaller trays- I hate to see tons of folks crowded around 1 measly tray of food!!

I feel better now, I really didn''t want people too stuffed to dance.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
I think you''ll be fine, though you may want to consdier something "breadier" than veggies and cheese to soak up some of those cocktails. Maybe bruschetta? Or put out some toast points with the cheese?
I love Pandora''s idea of doing "tea" food for an early cocktail hour.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Labbie,
I think what you''re having is just fine for the cocktail hour. I wouldn''t worry too much, especially given that you''re serving a great meal soon after cocktail hour.

It will be wonderful!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your plan as it stands sounds wonderful! Actually I try not to fill up on appetizers anyway, so I''d be ticked with myself that I had a bunch of heavy HD''s and then didn''t have room for a really great dinner! I think just having something for guests to nibble on while grabbing a cocktail and conversating is a good idea, and it doesn''t have to be anything more than simple veggies/crackers & cheese/antipasto.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2007 7:37:37 PM
Author: labbielove

Pandora- yum! can I come? I just had my first ''real'' scone with cream recently at a tea shop near us and I cannot believe what I''ve been missing.
2.gif
Oh they are soooo good. Whenever I go to Cornwall I buy a huge tub of clotted cream and totally overindulge. I like them with strawberry jam best, but blackcurrant is nice too. I really hope I can get clotted cream sent up for the day by mailorder.

It''s normal to be worried about quantities - I find for work events that 8 canapes a head is about right for a drinks reception that lasts 1-2 hours. Some people eat more, some people eat less. If it''s a short reception 4-6 is normally fine. Just stagger them coming out and have several trays.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Labbie, your plan sounds great. You certainly don''t want your guests to get stuffed during the cocktail hour, but want to serve them SOMETHING!

We didn''t have anything "hot" or passed. We served antipasto and brushetta, which went well with our reception dinner of Italian, served family-style.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
The hot appetizers usually don''t taste so great, I think your plan is a good one! I''m sure it will be lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results