shape
carat
color
clarity

Fukuoka Appraiser

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Hi, well I know that this is going to be an irrelevant topic for most people, so I may have to bump it up once or twice to get a response. Jewelers mutual has given me the red light on getting it insured here in the states and giving it to her in Japan. It looks like I will need a Japanese appraisal and get it insured in Japan, unless somebody knows otherwise.

If anybody know of any good not to expensive appraisers/insurance in the Fukuoka location if you could let me know of them that would be incredible! Arigatoo Gozaimasu!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Working,

Hai Domo.

JM policies will cover you while you are visiting overseas but I don’t think they will insure based on a Japanese address. Assuming that you will present it in Japan and her address is expected to be in the US, I suspect you will be insured. Call up the JM 800 number to be sure.

I don’t know the Japanese insurance companies well and they may have different rules from when I was there 25 years ago (I lived in Chiyodaku back in the 80’s) but they may be happy to accept an appraisal written by a US appraiser that is denominated in Yen. I have done this for European and Canadian clients with no trouble. Choose an insurance carrier and ask them what their requirements are.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver

Date: 7/16/2007 7:34:42 PM
Author: denverappraiser
Working,

Hai Domo.

JM policies will cover you while you are visiting overseas but I don’t think they will insure based on a Japanese address. Assuming that you will present it in Japan and her address is expected to be in the US, I suspect you will be insured. Call up the JM 800 number to be sure.

I don’t know the Japanese insurance companies well and they may have different rules from when I was there 25 years ago (I lived in Chiyodaku back in the 80’s) but they may be happy to accept an appraisal written by a US appraiser that is denominated in Yen. I have done this for European and Canadian clients with no trouble. Choose an insurance carrier and ask them what their requirements are.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver
Oh god, that is fantastic to know, but I am dreading calling up or emailing James Allen''s excellent people again. I have probably made 50 special request and called/emailed over 100 times. I am really going to hate to have to write them again and ask for a new special request of having American US and Japanese Yen quantities listed on the appraisal.

Then there is also the element that diamonds in Japan, I imagine, are somewhat more expensive. While I will make any future purchases in America, I hope they don''t look at it and say--"oh, how cheap"
14.gif
(not that they would do that, nor that I really care, just a passing joking thought
1.gif
)

I guess I should also request that they be called Hearts and Arrows on the appraisal as it will be provided by the company that designated them as such, and from PS post at least is much more desirable in Japan? or is that way too unreasonable of me to ask them, as the company from which I purchased it that is furnishing the appraisal for insurance purposes, to mention that? I def don''t want them to get irritated with me, and I felt that I had hit the boundry point in my own mind of special request when they accomodated my most latest to turn my regular shank into a comfort fit....

Any thoughts on what I should or should not ask them about the appraisal so as not to grind any teeth?

Kissmark

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/16/2007 6:40:31 PM
Author:WorkingHardforSmallRewards
Hi, well I know that this is going to be an irrelevant topic for most people, so I may have to bump it up once or twice to get a response. Jewelers mutual has given me the red light on getting it insured here in the states and giving it to her in Japan. It looks like I will need a Japanese appraisal and get it insured in Japan, unless somebody knows otherwise.

If anybody know of any good not to expensive appraisers/insurance in the Fukuoka location if you could let me know of them that would be incredible! Arigatoo Gozaimasu!
Workinghard: are you saying that Jeweler''s Mutual will insure your ring even if your girlfriend lives in Japan? or am I misunderstanding and she is moving to the US? The only insurance in Japan that I found that insures jewelry (including during international travel) is Ace Insurance. I''d like to use Jeweler''s Mutual if possible, because Ace''s premium is high, but I didn''t think JM would insure the ring if I don''t live in the US. Thanks

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Working,

Each insurance company has their own rules for what they will cover but the address of the insured person (this will probably be your fiancée) is always a key issue. I have no idea if JM will insure a Japanese resident but I’m confident that they will be happy to discuss it with you.

The replacement type appraisal must specify the market of replacement and it’s sometimes a more complicated issue than a simple currency conversion but it’s well within the realm of a skilled appraiser. The issue will be with the insurers requirements. Whether JA will do it for free as part of your purchase is, of course, entirely up to them but you should not feel bad to ask. First, make sure you know that you need it and for that you must talk to the insurer about their requirements.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

hey. Well, I am sorry if I didn''t make myself clear in my original post. No, JM will not insure it for a Japanese residency, thus if it is given to her it will be uninsured. Also, unfortunatly, JA does not provide Japanese currency appraisals. Thus I am still looking for an actual appraiser in Fukuoka if anybody happens to know of any. Thanks for all of the input so far. I will check out that other company that you listed as well Kiss.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I laughed when I saw this thread because the only time I''ve ever seen this work was when I saw an advert in an un-named country for a "Fukuoka" finger vibrator...

Date: 7/17/2007 10:43:07 PM
Author: surfgirl
I laughed when I saw this thread because the only time I''ve ever seen this work was when I saw an advert in an un-named country for a ''Fukuoka'' finger vibrator...

I don''t understand...seen what work?

Kissmark

Shiny_Rock
i think she meant this WORD? the word fukuoka. my guess

Date: 7/17/2007 11:05:49 PM
Author: Kissmark
i think she meant this WORD? the word fukuoka. my guess

ohhhh. lol, Now i c. lol

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Sorry! I meant WORD, not WORK. I''ve never owned one...*not that there''s anything wrong with that)*...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results