shape
carat
color
clarity

Which would you rather drive and why?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
OK folks, it''s been awhile, but what better audience to ask this question. I am currently shopping for a replacement family hauler that my wife will drive 90% of the time. She currently has a 1st generation Acura MDX. I need to narrow it down to a few and then have her decide. I want something somewhat fun to drive, since I do all the family driving. Two young kids to cart around, good cargo capacity and third row seating are specs I need to meet. It also needs to be uber safe. So the options are:

1. Acura MDX with sport and entertainment packages. Nice all around vehicle
2. Buick Enclave. This is not your father''s Buick
3. Toyota Highlander. A minivan in SUV clothing.
4. Hyundai Veracruz. Don''t laugh! A nice vehicle and save tons of money
5. Mercedes Benz GL450. Great looks, but expensive and reliability concern
6. Mercedes Benz R Class. Huge space, reasonable price, but reliability?

Also of some interest are the Lexus GX470 and Volvo XC90, but both of these are older designs and the Lexus is a bit of a rollover concern. Cadillac SRX has lower safety ratings and the Escalade is just too darn big.

What would you rather cruise through the car pool lane with?
1.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
In truth - none of the above.

But if I had to have one I would take the one with the best gas mileage and the smallest possible for your needs. I''ve seen those Mercedes R class out here and they are really bad looking IMO. The Highlander and the Acura one might be good, though the Highlander is very bulky. For this kind of car I would try and buy the least expensive that would work reliably, so maybe the Hyundai one would be good.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, Beacon, I was thinking the same thing. I too I like cars w/better mpg.

I bet they are all beautiful inside. I like the Acura so that one.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2007 12:08:39 PM
Author: Beacon
In truth - none of the above.

But if I had to have one I would take the one with the best gas mileage and the smallest possible for your needs. I''ve seen those Mercedes R class out here and they are really bad looking IMO. The Highlander and the Acura one might be good, though the Highlander is very bulky. For this kind of car I would try and buy the least expensive that would work reliably, so maybe the Hyundai one would be good.

Agreed. Out of those choices though, I like the highlander the best. AND it comes in a hybrid, which is probably what I would choose.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I''m not sure about any of those cars, but I will say, my husband and I were considering buying a Mercedes and we later changed our mind after I heard so many horror stories. My friend also got into a car accident and it ended up costing him $20,000 to fix his car! Yes, twenty thousand!!! Also, their reputation for breaking down is reason enough not to take the chance in having your wife & kids broken down on the side of the road! No worth it.

Really, out of the six you listed, I would go for the Toyota due to reputation alone. Toyotas run for ever.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/7/2007 12:16:52 PM

Agreed. Out of those choices though, I like the highlander the best. AND it comes in a hybrid, which is probably what I would choose.

Hmm, interesting answers. Unfortunately the new generation Highlander Hybrid implementation does not give the same mileage improvement as the last one. It''s really only a modest improvement. The best options for higher mileage are probably the Mercedes clean diesels. However, let''s not get into a hybrid, diesel debate
3.gif
Hummer H2 anyone?....just kidding

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2007 12:23:54 PM
Author: MC
Hi,

I''m not sure about any of those cars, but I will say, my husband and I were considering buying a Mercedes and we later changed our mind after I heard so many horror stories. My friend also got into a car accident and it ended up costing him $20,000 to fix his car! Yes, twenty thousand!!! Also, their reputation for breaking down is reason enough not to take the chance in having your wife & kids broken down on the side of the road! No worth it.

Really, out of the six you listed, I would go for the Toyota due to reputation alone. Toyotas run for ever.
I think so too! I had BMWs for many years and they did break down. The tow man told me that he towed BMW and Mercedes everyday but he never yet had towed a Lexus for mechanical failure, only accidents. Amazing, huh. Of course Lexus is a Toyota product. We have two Toyotas now - I got tired of BMW problems and talking to the tow man all that often!

We recently looked at the Mercedes SLK and CLK lines. Beautiful cars, I was so tempted. But then I saw their terrible mileage and I knew I would just be going back to the old problems. I hate wasting gas/environment resources and I hate cars that break down.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve had my Hyundai Santa Fe for 3 years with zero problems. I chose it over the Highlander due to it coming fully loaded vs having to pay for every little option on the Toyota. They are also much cheaper to insure and they have a killer warranty. I got 3 yrs of free roadside assistance (never used it). Hubby bought a Hyundai Elantra and has had no problems as well. Consumers rates them very well. I have heard horror stories about Mercedes as well. I don''t believe in throwing huge amounts of money into something that will depreciate as soon as you drive it off the lot and that you will replace in 5-10 yrs anyway. I haven''t driven the Veracruz but they look very nice.

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
Hey Noobie,
I was doing the same research as you in the early part of this year when I had to give up my luxury sedan for a bigger car when I became a parent. I test drove the MDX, BMW X5, Lexus, Toyota Highlander and 4Runner, and looked at the Mercedes models. In the end I decided on getting the Toyota Sienna Limited Edition minivan because I needed the 3rd row seats and decent trunk space when the third row was up and kid friendly options like a top mounted DVD player.

However, the main deal breaker was the better gas mileage on the minivan than the SUVs. I drive close to 100 miles a day for work and my car would be the family vehicle for weekends.

I have never had a single regret with my decision. Minivans, to my surprise can be very luxurious. My van has voice-activated navigation, blue-tooth connectivity for cell phones, free satellite radio, and second row captain seats, and automatic sliding doors and the third row collapses down with a touch of a button. The third row is very roomy and comfortable.

For me, I kinda had to get over the minivan thing mentally b/c I felt silly b/c I only have one child and when I''m not driving the baby around I feel a little strange being the sole person in such a big car.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have two friends with the MDX and i think they like it as far as i know. also our friends are shopping around for an SUV soon as they are having a baby and i think they are looking at the Lexus and one of the Benz''s...they said they were nice, nothing breathtaking from what i could tell, like they weren''t DYING to have either of these from what i could tell. what about the BMW X3 or X5?

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Noobie,
I drove a 2001 MDX which I thought I liked but the difference between that and a 2007 model is like night and day. The old model is so much more like a minivan and the new model is just sleeker and has more power. It rated #1- You really have to test drive it.

Good luck with your search
1.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like you are in my head Noobie! We are going through the same thing. The MDX is the top contender for us. I REALLY want the Lexus RX, but, there is no third row and with three kids..... I love the Mercedes GL, but, reliability is a large concern. Our friend bought one when they first came out and they have not had any issues...yet.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Well I would stay away from Mercedes, way too many problems.

My husband the car fanatic said he would go for the Acura & also that you should consider the Mazda CX-9
9.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
We have owned several Lexus vehicles over the years (including SUVs) and none of them has ever been in the shop for any reason other than routine maintenance. My son has been driving a Toyota Highlander for three years now and has had no problems either. The same cannot be said for our Mercedes! In my opinion you cannot beat Toyota and Lexus for quality and reliability.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Seems like the MDX is popular. It''s probably the favorite right now. To answer some questions: Had a van before the MDX. Although the Sienna and Odyssey are the most practical things out there, we just prefer something else. I looked at the X5 and even though it''s bigger, it''s still a bit cramped. The new electronic shifter is quirky and the iDrive is a big PITA. X3 is way too small for us. Looked at the CX-9, but it doesn''t have memory settings on the mirrors and steering wheel. I know it''s minor, but it''s a must have. The Q7 is quite nice but really gets bad gas mileage and should have more room for it''s size.

I''m surprised at the lack of Mercedes fans, given how well they sell. I must admit, I love the looks, but reliability is a big question. It''s too bad Lexus doesn''t make a stretch version of the RX.

So any more moms out there have any preferences? Disregard price.

Gee, I should have asked you guys about my car. Vacillated back and forth between 5 series, E-class, Infiniti M and finally ended up ordering a 08 Lexus GS.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/7/2007 8:48:02 PM
Author: Sundial
We have owned several Lexus vehicles over the years (including SUVs) and none of them has ever been in the shop for any reason other than routine maintenance. My son has been driving a Toyota Highlander for three years now and has had no problems either. The same cannot be said for our Mercedes! In my opinion you cannot beat Toyota and Lexus for quality and reliability.
HI:

Sorry to hear your MB is troublesome--we have had NO problems whatsoever and continue to love our coupe. But I digress.

Our SUV is a Honda and is great/reliable as is our Acura sedan. I think if we get rid of our SUV/Pilot this year, the contenders will be the Audi or Volvo. (since they don't sell Toyota Land Cruisers in our neck of the woods....). Oh, our neighbours seem to love their Toureg.....

cheers--Sharon

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
the v70 r is a great car. i am not sure about the availability of a third seat since i don''t need one. fun to drive, awd and built in kid seats. many are put off by a wagon but i love it. i have had 4 volvo wagons and would not hesitate to buy another. and don''t forget the r is for racing.
2.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2007 9:00:35 PM
Author: noobie
Seems like the MDX is popular. It''s probably the favorite right now. To answer some questions: Had a van before the MDX. Although the Sienna and Odyssey are the most practical things out there, we just prefer something else. I looked at the X5 and even though it''s bigger, it''s still a bit cramped. The new electronic shifter is quirky and the iDrive is a big PITA. X3 is way too small for us. Looked at the CX-9, but it doesn''t have memory settings on the mirrors and steering wheel. I know it''s minor, but it''s a must have. The Q7 is quite nice but really gets bad gas mileage and should have more room for it''s size.

I''m surprised at the lack of Mercedes fans, given how well they sell. I must admit, I love the looks, but reliability is a big question. It''s too bad Lexus doesn''t make a stretch version of the RX.

So any more moms out there have any preferences? Disregard price.

Gee, I should have asked you guys about my car. Vacillated back and forth between 5 series, E-class, Infiniti M and finally ended up ordering a 08 Lexus GS.
I wish! Or the Cayenne with a third row. I reeeeeally love that car, but, talk about low gas mileage. When the boys are out of the house I''m buying a Carrerra for DD and I to tinker around in!

I''m surprised about the lack of Mercedes fans in this group, too. I love their classic looks. I call them ''three stone'' cars. Classic, timeless, beautiful. My neighbor has an older ML and it seems to be in great shape.

The CX-9 sounds and looks great. I didn''t know memory settings weren''t an option...A must for us, too.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2007 11:44:01 PM
Author: Miranda
I wish! Or the Cayenne with a third row. I reeeeeally love that car, but, talk about low gas mileage. When the boys are out of the house I''m buying a Carrerra for DD and I to tinker around in!

I''m surprised about the lack of Mercedes fans in this group, too. I love their classic looks. I call them ''three stone'' cars. Classic, timeless, beautiful. My neighbor has an older ML and it seems to be in great shape.

The CX-9 sounds and looks great. I didn''t know memory settings weren''t an option...A must for us, too.
Actually, I wouldn''t mind a Mercedes if I didn''t have kids! I wouldn''t take the chance being stranded while my two kids were in back seat. Right now I drive a Subaru Forester and the transmission recently needed to be rebuilt. For a few months prior, it kept having problems where it just wouldn''t not go. I''d turn my car on and put it into drive, but when I pushed on the accelorator, it didn''t go AT ALL. I got stuck a few times and luckily we are always at places that were safe, like the Costco parking lot. I cannot believe how expensive it was to have the transmission fixed!!!

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
Forgot to mention I have 3 kids- 14,7 and 2 which means a carseat and a booster in the second row. And a stroller in the back...

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2007 9:56:04 PM
Author: canuk-gal

Date: 7/7/2007 8:48:02 PM
Author: Sundial
HI:

Sorry to hear your MB is troublesome--we have had NO problems whatsoever and continue to love our coupe. But I digress.

Our SUV is a Honda and is great/reliable as is our Acura sedan. I think if we get rid of our SUV/Pilot this year, the contenders will be the Audi or Volvo. (since they don''t sell Toyota Land Cruisers in our neck of the woods....). Oh, our neighbours seem to love their Toureg.....

cheers--Sharon
Sharon it has been the recalls more than any actual problems so far. There have been several on our SL-500 and we live 180 miles from the closest Mercedes dealership. The same distance applies to our Lexus dealer but we never have any reason to take those in except for regular service.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Noobie, I''m not a mom, but I just went through this exercise a little more than a year ago.

Before buying, I had my heart set on an Acura MDX. My husband has an Acura sedan, and it''s the smoothest riding car on the planet. Understandably, I was psyched to get into an MDX.
That enthusiasm died on the test drive. I found it drove much more like an off-road vehicle; had a pick-up truck feel to it. On top of that, I felt that many of the controls were awkwardly placed and difficult to access while driving.

I bought the Toyota Highlander instead, and 18 months later, NO regrets at all. It rides much nicer/smoother than the Acura, and the placement of the controls is much more ''user-friendly''.

To my surprise, my husband prefers the Highlander to the MDX as well (he also test drove the Acura with me).

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
The third row in the Acura is pretty small, so I would think twice if you plan to put someone in it. The first Mercedes you list, is it the one that seats 7 and is newer? It got a nice write up back when it was launched but I do not know a lot about them.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey noobie!!
Haven''t seen you in ages. So nice to see you back. I have to tell you I have had major problems with Mercedes. We are close friends with the owner of a dealership, so remained loyal. But honestly, now that he has sold the dealership, we won''t be buying another Benz. Mechanical problems, and too many computer malfunctions.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Noob....how about the new Saturn SUV -- the big new model. Can''t remember what it''s called. It''s their first luxury SUV. Lots of room and luxury features and I think the mileage is pretty good. I test drove it but it was bigger than I needed and I bought an 08 lexus RX 350.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
hey noobie! don''t leave us hanging here. what are you looking at now?
33.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
What about the new GMC Acadia? I like those...Even if they are GMC which is kinda like Mercedes as far as reliability goes.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/9/2007 11:57:58 AM
Author: crown1
hey noobie! don''t leave us hanging here. what are you looking at now?
33.gif

Sorry, am overseas for a couple of weeks.

The Buick Enclave on the same platform as the Saturn Outlook and GMC Acadia and is the plushest one of them. They are selling so well, that it’s hard to find them and they are taking months to get them. About time GM built something people actually want to buy.

I really like the Mercedes GL if it were more reliable…it’s tempting, but having leather seats and HID lights as options on a $60K vehicle is irksome.

Will probably wait until the new larger 08 Toyota Highlander rolls out and Hyundai gets navigation units installed to see what they are like. Am somewhat concerned about taking a “cheaper” vehicle like a Hyundai and loading it up with all of the options. Seems like a recipe for poor resale value.

I’m a little surprised that there are no clear preferences for Moms carting kids around and cruising through school pickup and drop off lanes.

Anyways, will try the new MDX (alj: it drives much better than the old one) and a few others when I get back..

On another note, my 08 Lexus GS350 AWD was ordered this week.

1.gif
I almost bought the LS460, the one that parks itself, but since I travel so much and drive little, it seemed silly and frivolous to have that much depreciation sitting in a garage, plus I read on Forbes that the demographic has the average owner at age 64.
32.gif
Yikes, I’m far from that!

Hi Kaleigh! How’s Nan?

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I''m a mom of 2 (2.5 year old and a 2.5 month old). I have a 2004 X5 and I really like it. DH has an ''07 530. We''re a BMW family.

We haven''t had any problems with either car. In fact, when I was 36 wks pregnant with my daughter (and the X5 was less than a year old), we were in a major wreck (sandwiched between two cars on the highway). The front and back were smashed, but there was no damage to the interior and DH and I were perfectly fine. It was due to this that we bought the 2nd BMW. Clearly the cars are built to protect its passengers.

Right now, I have a Britax Regent and a Decathlon in the backseat of my X5. The new X5 is so much nicer than my older model, and if I were in the market for a new car, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Noobie, I have driven the larger Lexus (470) and the huge Infiniti (G30?) and a Chrysler Town and Country Minivan before getting my LRR HSE Landrover. I like my current car a lot, I added some things to it and got the top of the line model and am liking it. We have snow here so all wheel is a must and I have three kids ages 5-14 so I need room. No stroller now, but when I had one, the back of the Infiniti was tiny for such a huge car, when I had all three rows in use. It had the most interior space and nicest third row but I felt like I was driving the Queen Mary. My van, again got the most loaded top of the line all wheel drive, was the best in terms of ease with auto liftgates and doors, and was pleasant to drive but I could not stand being a minivan owner for some reason. I liked the look of the Lexus but the third row stunk, the seats hooked up and blocked the windows and were tough to put in place. I looked at the Navigator, which had the auto third row which I liked, but overall liked the size of the Land Rover for me. Hubby has a Range Rover Supercharged and really loves his car, and though he wants a sedan too, he is leaning away from the Mercedes and BMW''s for a variety of reasons. But the new huge Mercedes did get an initial write up that was good, and it has now been out a while so the bugs should be worked out (hopefully). I bought the first model year of a car a couple of times and would NEVER do it again no matter the salesguy told me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results