shape
carat
color
clarity

My new baby...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
30.gif
so precious!!!!!!!! Dear little soul!!!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He''s a cutie pie! Best of luck with him.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Wow, he sure is cute!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That pic of him on his back with his tiny feet in the air is killing me!!! What IS it about animal feeties being so cute???
9.gif

Also what is the average lifespan of these chappies?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
They live for between 3-8 years on average - though I have heard of one living till they were 16!

They haven''t been kept as pets for very long so I think things are improving as to how to keep them, feed them etc Heat is vital - they hibernate below 21 degrees and that is fatal for them. Also very easy to overfeed - who could resist?

They are much more curious and active than I was expecting and this one is super friendly - he doesn''t even curl up into a ball. That is totally due to having wonderful breeders who have obviously put a lot of time and effort into playing with him and getting him used to humans - even they said he was unusually friendly and playful (likes chasing things on strings like a cat apparently).

He will be so spoilt - I''m already planning on buying him lots of toys on saturday - apparently they like balls and toy cars best.
31.gif

They get on great with cats and dogs once they''ve got used to each other I have heard. They are great as pets - very quiet and don''t smell (as long as you keep the cage nice). I''m keeping him on aspen at the moment but i''m tempted to move to fleece blankets that can go in the washing machine as he is definitely keener on nice soft fluffy surfaces and the aspen seems a bit prickly.

Vets are not so easy to find, but London is pretty good as lots of people have exotics. I suppose it will be like my pythons where it''s a combination of me, the vet and google working it out and a phonecall to London Zoo if we get really stuck!

Milly, he cost £100 GBP which is quite cheap for them here - I''ve mainly seen them at around £150 to £200. I''m not sure what they cost in the US, but they are easier to get hold of as there are more breeders. it is illegal to keep them in some states though - I have no idea why that would be, they are hardly dangerous!
33.gif

Will take lots more pictures when I get a chance.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Ahhh, so sweet. Enjoy the little fellow!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great post Pandora! Yes there is always London Zoo if stumped, I have a friend who used to work there.

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
6.gif
Oh my! He is too cute! I want one now!
30.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/12/2007 12:36:27 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 7/12/2007 10:28:19 AM
Author: Lorelei
That pic of him on his back with his tiny feet in the air is killing me!!! What IS it about animal feeties being so cute???
9.gif

Also what is the average lifespan of these chappies?
OH MY STARS! I thought that too! LOL
9.gif
I had to come back for another look LOL, I am enchanted with this little fellow! Oh those feet....
9.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww -- how cutsie tootsie is he?!? Adorable!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/12/2007 10:51:18 AM
Author: Pandora II
They live for between 3-8 years on average - though I have heard of one living till they were 16!

They haven''t been kept as pets for very long so I think things are improving as to how to keep them, feed them etc Heat is vital - they hibernate below 21 degrees and that is fatal for them. Also very easy to overfeed - who could resist?

They are much more curious and active than I was expecting and this one is super friendly - he doesn''t even curl up into a ball. That is totally due to having wonderful breeders who have obviously put a lot of time and effort into playing with him and getting him used to humans - even they said he was unusually friendly and playful (likes chasing things on strings like a cat apparently).

He will be so spoilt - I''m already planning on buying him lots of toys on saturday - apparently they like balls and toy cars best.
31.gif

They get on great with cats and dogs once they''ve got used to each other I have heard. They are great as pets - very quiet and don''t smell (as long as you keep the cage nice). I''m keeping him on aspen at the moment but i''m tempted to move to fleece blankets that can go in the washing machine as he is definitely keener on nice soft fluffy surfaces and the aspen seems a bit prickly.

Vets are not so easy to find, but London is pretty good as lots of people have exotics. I suppose it will be like my pythons where it''s a combination of me, the vet and google working it out and a phonecall to London Zoo if we get really stuck!

Milly, he cost £100 GBP which is quite cheap for them here - I''ve mainly seen them at around £150 to £200. I''m not sure what they cost in the US, but they are easier to get hold of as there are more breeders. it is illegal to keep them in some states though - I have no idea why that would be, they are hardly dangerous!
33.gif

Will take lots more pictures when I get a chance.
HI:

I''ll babysit anytime!!! My son would love love love one of these little guys (me too!!)

cheers--Sharon

diamondtifff

Shiny_Rock
HE IS ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!! I had no idea thet were that small- I bought my 4 year old-shih-tzu a toy thats a hedgehog but is pretty big- I named the toy hedggie and its bigger than my second dog but that pic where his feet are up is adorable!!!!!!!!! congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How is His Royal Cuteness today Pandora?

Yippee - tomorrow is toy shopping day for Mr Stickiebricks!
face23.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora,
I was reading about them and it says they are nocturnal creature and need their sleep. Does he sleep all day? What do you feed him?

He is so cute!!!
30.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
I want one! However, my cat says no!
7.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Well, he is well and truly over any house-moving nerves!

I got him up when I arrived home last night and made his dinner which he was very keen on (about 12 chicken flavour 'Iams' cat biscuits mixed with boiling water)- big relief as I thought he might be a bit stressed!

He then lay on my chest all evening - the flat bit just under your collarbone - and mumbled to himself (very odd little noises, but rather cute!)

The neighbours came round to see him when FI got home at 11pm - he disappeared straight up the guy's sleeve which was rather difficult to get him back out of due to all the prickles! They have offered to babysit any time we like!

I put him to bed when I went, leaving a nice tidy cage: kitty litter box one side and aspen bedding the other. When I went in this morning it looked like a tornado had been at work overnight!
31.gif

I think I will move to fleece blankets as the whole house is covered in bits of his bedding right now.

Going home in half an hour - can't wait!

Will take some more pics over the weekend when we have bought some toys!

Apparently they get on great with cats and dogs after the initial meeting.

Hi Skippy, yes they sleep all day which is great as I'm out at work. You can move their schedule though so you can have them awake in the early evening rather than getting up at midnight.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there any chance of more pics sometime please?? I am so taken with this little baby!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
He is too too too too too cuuuuute for words!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Your wish is my command....

120707 022.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Here''s some I took just now...

120707 002.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
last one!

120707 008.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, he is just soooo cute! I wish I could hear those little noises he makes while I''m looking at his pictures, lol!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH MY GOSH!!!! Thanks Pand!!! I too wish I could hear those little noises, we will need a webcam for him next! Is he sitting inside a jam jar???

Hey as today is shopping day, you will have to show us his loot!
3.gif
Toy cars toy cars!!!

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Awwww... how cute! I especially love the photo of him curled up in your hands! Adorable!!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I just love him and his name.
30.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I had to come back for another look, too!!!
30.gif

He is SOOOOOOOOOO stinkin'' cute! And I agree with Lorelei, his feeties are positively ADDICTIVE! I wanna kiss all four of them!!! I love his bright black eyes, look like they aren''t missing ANYTHING!

Tell us more about the breeder. How many breeder hedgies does she have? How old are they when they are placed? How many in a typical litter? (Is it called a "litter"?!) Tell us all the good things that impressed you with the breeder, please!

And this may be a really silly question, but do you neuter them??!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bump for Pandora - today is the day after shopping day, any loot to show us????

Oh Lynn those feeties are driving me bonkers!!!
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
He IS stinkin'' cute!

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
Awww....it''s so cute. Wonder if David would .......ummm....I think we have enough pets.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Shopping was done, we now have:

1 black London Taxi
1 red London Bus
both of the sort that you pull back and then they run on your own.
1 toy Shrek Donkey
1 rubber ball
lots of empty loo rolls

He won''t play with them in front of me, but he was up all night playing - makes a lot of noise. I got up to check he was okay at about 3.00am after some large thuds and he was racing round his cage. He was also making a very odd and loud purring noise like a coffee machine - apparently it is indeed purring!

We had a bath today - I think I got as wet as he did, for he is very wriggly - I''m not looking forward to toenail clipping time! Mr Sticklebrick does not like baths
38.gif
and especially not nice no-tears puppy shampoo.
31.gif
The downside, yes there is one, with hedgehogs is they are not exactly litter trained and think nothing of pooping on you and then running through it - hence the bath! If you don''t care to be pooped on, a hedgehog is probably not a good idea!

He also played in his critter crawler - big ball he runs around in, he''s in it in the photo that looks like a jam jar. These animals have quite a lot of brains for something so small!

Lynn, I didn''t really have a choice on breeder as there are so few of them here. After looking for 7 months I just hoped that they were nice and looked after their animals properly! When we went round, they seemed a very nice couple - quite similar to FI & I and obviously totally crazy about their animals. The cages were immaculate and they all looked very happy so I was very relieved.

They have just the one pair of hedgehogs and this was their first litter - they had had 4 little boys, but one sadly died very early on. They named him Scott after Scott of the Antarctic because he went for a long walk through the bars of the cage, and when they found him the mother didn''t want him back
15.gif

The average number in a litter, I believe you call them a herd of hoglets, seems to be about 4 or 5. They breed several times a year. The babies can go to new homes from 6-8 weeks but they had held on till 11 weeks. I haven''t heard of anyone neutering hedgehogs - I suppose one might in a medical emergency, but there doesn''t appear to be any need. Males and females are pretty similar, they don''t scent mark or anything - but males will fight with each other.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am cracking up at your choices for toys!
3.gif
Sounds like he is enjoying them! Speaking of unusual pets, my house bunny - a Lionhead breed who is very spoilt is thumping at me for attention as I type!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results