shape
carat
color
clarity

Insurance Question--sorry ;)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
I know there is another one in progress right now with a VERY similar title, but I couldn''t help but ask anymore, I have been wondering for a while.

Well, I need to talk to someone who really knows, and that will be what matters (like an insurance agency) but I have a couple of questions about insurance. Technically I am a dependent of my parents, though I take care of myself. So I could, I suppose, have it ride on their home owners policy?

Any other ideas on how to get a 2,500 dollar ring insured and what it would cost.

but also, because she lives in Japan I am not sure how insurance is affected when you are traveling, much less when it is presented to someone who lives in another country? Any word before I finally get the time to find out about all of this?

Kissmark

Shiny_Rock
Workinghard I can answer your question about Japan since I am researching that myself right now. For most part it is similar to the US

1. If your girlfriend has renter''s insurance, then she should be covered for property damage in Japan (2,500 dollar should be within the limit)
2. If she wants additional insurance on jewelry, she can purchase those on top of her renter''s insurance. The one I checked is 1.73% premium of the insured value
3. If your girlfriend is traveling, then she can either a) purchase travel insurance, in which case the general travel insurance will cover personal belonging up to USD2,500. or b) most Japanese credit card comes with travel insurance for free, and mine covers up to USD2,500 of personal belongs. However for the credit card insurance to be effective, she will HAVE TO purchase the transportation cost to the airport with that credit card, ie. train or bus tickets to the airport, etc

Hope this helps

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It usually is the person who possesses the ring that must have the insurance. I''d probably call someone like Jeweler''s Mutual and ask about this specific situation. Is she coming to the US once you''re married?

To Kiss:

Alright. That is very useful, though I will confirm everything on my end later, time is beginning to run short and I probably won't get my ring until a day or two before I leave.

So, do you know if they accept an American Appraisal in Japan, or will I need to get it reappraised in Japan.

And if I do need to get it reappraised do you have any idea how to go about doing that in Fukuoka and what it will cost (I would like to have it done before I propose)? I have an ominous feeling that an appraisal in Japan is going to be quite expensive.

To DS:

I am guessing that after I propose to a woman in a different country it will technically be her property. I doubt there are any laws in place to "protect" me or to claim it as mine until the wedding. Also, knowing the "tradition" of gift giving in bars, etc I suspect that there won't be any laws in place to support the diamond as mine after it is gifted. It Would probably present too many sticky legal situations in other all too common practices--that is just a guess though.

My real concern is if they cover jewelry long term in other countries. I would also like to get it insured as soon as possible as If anything happens to it I am totally out of luck. but i will call them tomorrow and see what they say. It's difficult though because I won't be getting my ring and appraisal until about July 19th probably, maybe before then if JA gets it done early, and I am leaving on July 22...lol, cut it down to the wire.

Kissmark

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know about appraisal, but I think it depends largely on the insurance company. My insurance company for renter''s insurance is actually a London based international insurance company, so I would think that they will accept US certs. It must be common that Japanese customers buy jewelry overseas, or from International jewelry stores that provides internationals certs. Although you be sure you will have to contact the particular insurance company.

Thanks, it has given me some stuff to consider. (Also remember that the laboratory certificates in question can not be used as an appraisal)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results