shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do?

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm going to apologise if I seemed harsh... I certainly didn't mean to upset you if I did. "Hugs" It is very disappointing to spend a substantial amount of money on something and feel like it was all wasted. And I lost sight of that fact. We did get a bit off the rails when the polishing came up and headed down that track as it seemed so bizarre to do this at that point in the life of the strand. But that said we don't need to go on about it. Pattye has brought up the occasional use of a buffing wheel used early on in the process in some cases. Well done Pattye .. sound research !

I do hope you are able to reach some accommodation with the seller. Perhaps work at defusing the situation, if she was unaware of the dye job then she's probably upset that it's all gone wrong as well and I'm sure she'd like to get it sorted out. No one wants an angry customer.

I do hope you find a solution that works well for you.

kylier

Shiny_Rock
Really sorry this happened to you Periwinkle. I have lurked a long time and not posted but this post drew me out. I don't care about who buffed or didn't buff, I don't care what you paid. You had something done that you've had done before and things were fine. And the seller should have reacted differently. I lost all sympathy when she didn't stop selling the pearls or have them looked at to see if she was selling treated. The price she's selling them at makes me think she knows something is wrong. But you did nothing wrong buying from a vendor who has awesome ratings and rep. I'd seen her stuff and never ordered, and now I never will. I've bought a ton of pearls from pearls of joy and pearl paradise and been very happy and would recommend both.
That said, my only response to this was sympathy, because whether it's diamonds or gold or pearls it's really disheartening to be misled.
I don't call it a fiasco to say what you were told and that your jeweler said they were dyed and proved it. Perhaps they had some sort of poorly painted dye on. I didn't like her response of "but I didn't know". I was recently sold pearls second hand and they were clearly fakes but the seller just said she didn't know. I'll never buy second hand pearls again.
As for the buffing, none of us have heard of doing it, thus none really know about it and there seems to be a lot of guessing which IMO is besides the point.
Unless any of know for sure that all buffed pearls change from a desirable gold to a Greenish champagne, I wouldn't lay this at the feet of the jeweler. If the pearls are underpriced, another jeweler said they were dyed, and they changed color, and the vendor when confronted didn't say they weren't treated, but rather just that she didn't know... It all adds up to a harsh experience for you. When I had a similar thing happen to me at another forum I didn't get a response anything like this.
If someone has their car stolen because they left the keys in it, the person going to jail is the one who steals it. Not the one taken advantage of, regardless of their mistakes. You lost 400 bucks and you're a pearl lover. That really is a stinky experience.
I hope your pearly purchases are better in the future and bring you much joy!

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
kylier, +1. You brought my thoughts out. You questioned same things as I did in my silence mind. Just didn't dare to ask as a novice :oops:

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If you leave your keys in your car and it's stolen your insurance company may well not pay out and your premiums will probably go up, which is harsh but true, carrying on with that figure of speech.
I think this has been an unhappy experience all round.
It isn't for me to sit in judgement on another seller, all I can do is say that in that circumstance I would have just asked for them back and refunded, changed, buffed or whatever.
As I said at the beginning a seller's reputation is beyond value. I'm perhaps conditioned by the law we have over here in Europe which is very much weighted towards the consumer and against the trader, but even when the law has been on my side I'd refund without a quibble simply because it's easier.
I'm saddened too, that you're so let down with pearls you initially loved

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much to those of you who have expressed your sympathy - both here and privately!

Nacre-lover, I wanted everyone's input on the situation. The vendor isn't getting a pass, but she stands on her no refunds policy. And I knew that when making the purchase, so I knew I wouldn't get far asking for a refund.
To be fair to me, I was surprised and wanted to ask if anyone else had had a similar experience. I didn't know that none of you had heard of buffing the pearls to polish them. I know that my local goldsmith is very knowledgable, but I didn't realize how unique she is. I trust her completely - when she screws up, she admits it. And again, let me repeat, she pointed out they were dyed before polishing them. She said she was concerned that polishing them would change the colour since they are colour enhanced.

And now here are my updates:

Firstly, those of you who were concerned about the buffing damaging the pearl nacre will be happy to know that I've heard from one of our most trusted pearl vendors on this subject:

"Buffing pearls on a wheel really isn't that uncommon. It has to be done very delicately so as to not damage the nacre, but if done right it is a safe practice. There are very soft compounds specifically for pearls. Most jewelers don’'t have access to the vibration tumblers that pearl companies use so rely on the wheel for polishing. Not all vendors are aware of this practice."

Secondly, I've heard from the vendor. Not too surprisingly, she said, final sale, can't help you. And, she added, sorry that my vendor didn't disclose that the pearls were dyed.

So, there we are, lesson learned, buyer beware. Some vendors can't be trusted. Not too surprising I suppose.
But I was surprised with this one, since more than one of us has bought from her in the past. And she has more of these listed for sale on Etsy, with no dislosure of the colour enhancement.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the update and for the warning!

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Pattye, I forgot to add, my jeweler said, like you, that's it some kind of colour enhancement. Dye shouldn't totally come off in polishing, as it would soak deep into the nacre.

As for my strand, I've got some more GSS, not dyed, that I've put at the front of the strand and pushed the now lighter GSS to the back and sides where I don't see them as much. But I admit I'm not quite as tempted to wear them as before.

Thanks for listening everyone!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A disappointing reaction from the seller. She passes the buck to her vendor instead of standing by her product.
The Merry Bead will not be getting any of my business, ever.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Periwinklegirl I am so sad this happened to you. It sounds like you have made a kind of peace with it and lesson learned. i have three strands that sit on top of my safe that I see every day to remind me of my folly. Hugs to you.

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Periwinkle girl, the vendor's response is indeed disappointing. Not knowing her product (or so she claims) and not taking responsibility. Not someone I would want to do business with.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm much saddened by the seller's dismissive attitude. Not just for your sake, although you are most directly affected and stuck with some duff pearls, but for the reputation of all on-line sellers since if it happened to you it has happened to others as well and they may not have recourse to a forum to get all the info and lastly I'm saddened for the seller as she has done her business no favours whatsoever with this shortsighted attitude.
Even without the strict laws we have over here which give automatic right of return with no questions asked for first 14 days for example, I would have refunded instantly.
As this thread shows, a good reputation is hard to win, but a bad one is incredibly easy to attain.

ps I really had never heard of polishing pearls on a wheel with a mop. Does anyone know what the polish compound is? As a silversmith I have a polisher and would like to try it! Rouge? Luster?
I apologise to you OP if I sidetracked the thread and didn't seem sympathetic. I most certainly am. I hate to hear of anyone who is unhappy about their pearls.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much everyone!

Pearlescence, I will find out what polishing compound she uses.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I was thinking of trying the same thing Wendy, it's made me curious...just trying to sort out which pearls will be sacrificed to the experiment! I'll wait to hear which rouge..I'm going to a supply house today for some bits and will ask there as well.

I too have always thought that a refund should be given..I can't imagine wanting a client to be upset..very shortsighted. When people spend money they should be happy with what they receive, it's only fair. :!:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Pretty funny -- now people are going to start trying to polish their pearls.

Be careful! And share your results!

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
periwinklegirl - Thanks for sharing your update though I am sorry to hear about the seller's response.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks katbran and pk!

B - I hope I haven't started a trend.

I will ask what rouge/polish. I know she said to do it very lightly! Practice on some crap pearls first.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Definitely breaking out the old stuff for this experiment!! lol

You know..I think you should thing about what you can do with those pearls. I know you are unhappy with them but it's a shame to waste the money and not wear them..maybe you can add in some other elements and turn it into a 'fashion' necklace without adding substantially to your current investment..like some interesting Sterling / Vermeil/ Rolled gold etc beads...whatever best suits the colour of the pearls.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks katbran,
I've added a bunch more GSS (from pearl society) to the front of the strand, and pushed the dyed ones to the back and sides.
The colours don't quite match, but only I can tell.

So, I can still wear them. They are indeed still lovely GSS, just no longer the dark gold colour I purchased.

Thanks!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
OP, I just discovered this thread. Thanks for sharing your tale of caution. I have to admit that I've had the vendor on my etsy list of "Favorite Shops" - no longer.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Good move! I'm so pleased you'll get lots of wear out of them. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results