shape
carat
color
clarity

To akoya or not to akoya?

:naughty:

I saw PP has these for a slight discount this month, and then some proceeds go to help Japan.
http://www.pearlparadise.com/7075-mm-White-Akoya-Pearl-Necklace85.aspx

They come in 16" 18" and 22". Of course, I can't wear 16" and 22" might be too long, so my options are 18"-21" (custom).

What do you guys think? I know they are "basic" but I don't have anything too basic like this. But, I am afraid of ruining them. I haven't been wearing my pearls as much lately because I am so scared of ruining them!!!

Do you think the akoya are nice enough in AA+ or would the freshadama be (cheaper) and) nicer? I'm just not sure... I am also tossing around the idea of some more diamond earrings... :twirl:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I have 2 Mikimoto strands in AA, and frankly, they don't do a lot for me. I know some people love them, but they really aren't a big thrill for me. But I did get a pair of AAA ear studs from them, and they are remarkable, much sharper luster.

When I compare some freshwaters that I have with the Mikimoto, the only real difference I see is the white seems brighter and the nacre seems finer on the akoya than on the freshwater. This is only if you CLOSELY compare them side by side. A quick glance when they are all together, and the freshwater are really not that different. When they are worn, I really don't see a difference at all. But that's me, others just love the akoya.

Why are you afraid of ruining your pearls? They were glopping around in the salty, briny ocean or in mucky pond water, inside a sharp and pointy oyster. They came out fine! :D I wear mine all the time, and I don't baby them or worry about them. I just make sure I don't get hairspray on them, and they're fine. Wear them and enjoy, life is TOO short.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I have an 18 inch strand akoya necklace from mikimoto. Is it pretty? Very much so. But is it worth 30 times the price of a 48 in strand of freshwater tangerine rice pearls I just bought from kojima? I'm not so sure, and if you are reticent about actually wearing expensive pearls, I may recommend you buy a nice strand (as close to round and uniform) of freshwater pearls and see how you feel about it.

ILander, I totally agree that life is too short not to wear your pearls or diamonds or whatever other gorgeous jewelry one treasures. I am very very careful with my jewelry, but truly, who/what are we saving it for?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I've visited PP and compared the Freshadama's and akoyas (I think they were AA or AAA but they were definitely not Hanadama) and I honestly couldn't tell the difference. In most mall stores, I'm able to tell the difference easily. Akoyas are usually more perfectly round, have sharper luster, their imperfections are different from those on freshwaters, but I really really couldn't tell them apart. I went with the Freshadama's, but I'd love to have a strand of akoyas in the future too.

I have a pair of akoya studs that I adore, and the lustre really is spectacular. They're the only pearl studs that I wear.

Good points everyone!

What if they were the same price (roughly)? Would you still go with freshwater since they are all nacre and akoya are "nacre beads" (as I've read) ?

PP is doing their 14% off sale now again.. woo! If I remember correctly, it doesn't come around again until December..

iLander

Ideal_Rock
bean|1303332897|2901166 said:
Good points everyone!

What if they were the same price (roughly)? Would you still go with freshwater since they are all nacre and akoya are "nacre beads" (as I've read) ?

PP is doing their 14% off sale now again.. woo! If I remember correctly, it doesn't come around again until December..

If they're about the same price, I think I would go for the Akoya. They just have a smoother, whiter look, which is pretty darn nice.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
In that case, hands down akoya.

I love the sharp lustre, the slight slight ripples of its imperfections. My akoya studs also seem to have this irridescence (is there a term for that? I think there is, but its been a while since I've been pearl shopping) that is a little better than my Freshadama's. I would go for the akoyas; akoyas are just about as 'classic' as classic can be.

PearlsOfJoy

Rough_Rock
Trade
Why are you afraid of ruining your pearls? They were glopping around in the salty, briny ocean or in mucky pond water, inside a sharp and pointy oyster. They came out fine!

Funny but true - pearls are a lot tougher then they credit for and wearing them is actually one of the best things you can do keep them looking good. Just keep an eye on the silk and restring before you get a break, which is typically every 1-2 years and follow the old rule and always put them on last after you've done your hair and makeup.

As far as Akoya vs. Freshwater its an old debate with good arguments on both sides. Akoya's are bead nucleated with a thin coating of nacre and Freshwater pearls are solid nacre, to some people this is a big deal to others its not. The bead allows a perfectly round shape, where even the best gem grade Freshwater pearls may have slight variations from round, although the human eye may not be able to pick it up.

The luster is generally more metallic with Akoyas and a bit softer with Freshwater pearls but there are Freshwater pearls available that rival the best Akoyas in the luster category as well.

Bottom line both are good options and its best to go with the one that fits your budget and tastes or purchase one of each and return the one you don't want.

I know I shouldn't be afraid of ruining them.. and I wear my diamonds all of the time! I wear my pearl earrings a little more too than necklaces... I guess I've seen too many pictures of ruined necklaces that I don't want them to look like that.

I'm still iffy about getting an akoya strand... I'm thinking baroque SS now... :wacko:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Akoya, oh-boya!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results