shape
carat
color
clarity

This is the year to buy pearls....

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone else heard about this?

My jeweler just got back from a month in Hong Kong (she was doing a gemological course). She said that if you like pearls, buy soon. The trade buzz was that sea pearls are going to go up in price (and scarcity).

Apparently the effects of the Fukushima disaster are starting to be felt. The starfish are dying en masse, likely from the radiation spreading in the ocean, and the pearl farmers are very worried.

Just to be clear, she wasn't trying to get me to buy any pearls. She was just passing on advice. And she wasn't buying any pearls while she was there (I suppose that's obvious, since she's here and not there this week).

Anyone know anything? Those of you who frequent the Pearl Guide, any news there?

Apologies in advance if it turns out that I'm just spreading alarmist rumours!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Yep. I also read Jeremy's blog and decided to get that cherry and peacock drop Tahitian strand that he was offering sooner, rather than later.

I've been telling friends, who are not necessarily pearl fanatics, that we are in the midst of pearly plenty. Fantastic variety of colors and shapes, at very affordable price points. Experience tells me that such times do not last forever.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
periwinklegirl - I always wondered if that would impact pearl production. I too would like to know if it's true!

katbadness

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm... Jeremy's blog on Jewellery Net Asia didn't say anything on Akoyas nor SSP, just CFWP and Tahitians. However, it may be that the price of pearls are rising across the board. It's definitely good for the producers.

Re: the effect of the Fukushima disaster on pearl production, given the proximity of the Akoya and SSP pearl farms (the ones in Japan, in the Phillipines and the northern part of Indonesia anyway) to Fukushima, you'd think that the mollusc population there are affected, too. They either die off or... become mutants? Hahaha..

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
katbadness - that's a good idea. If I can remember how to log on to the Pearl Guide I will. Not sure if I have posting privileges there though.

Also, remember the ocean currents. Radiation from Fukushima got all the way to the BC coast (in fact the US west coast too) last June (2013)!
I know we've set up all kinds of special ocean radiation monitoring stations up here.

If anyone hears anything or learns anything please share.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
All I can add is that the Freshwater strands that two years ago I paid 90$ for are now about 140$ and not as good. Strands that I paid 120$ are now 200$ and the photo was very very average. I asked for the next best quality and got a photo of strands that needed about 4 pearls removed and they were $380. And I've just paid $220 for something that was around 150$ last year . Perhaps it's a lack of merchandise following the last show..but I hope that it's not like that when I get to Hong Kong in June lol

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It is as likely to be market forces filtering through with the time lag inherent in pearl production...yet one more effect of the global recession
Plus farmers are going much more for big pearls - small and very small pearls are shooting up in price simply on supply and demand. I have no idea whether I will be able to replace my 1mm cache ever. Wholesalers suck their teeth like plumbers when I ask about tiny pearls.
There could easily be a swing to glut in a year or two due to an over-excited response to the easing of global finances. It will be interesting to see if there is a cheerier market next time I'm in Hong Kong

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results