shape
carat
color
clarity

Show Us Your Mother's Day Pearls

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
What lovely Mum's day pearls! These big white strands are killer! And Seaurchin, I love the metallic edison on the long chain- gorgeous!

Phanie

Shiny_Rock
See?

_3440.jpeg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those look perfect on you!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
They look gorgeous on you Phanie! But I agree, a little extra length would be perfect.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Any tips for taking pictures of pearls with an iPhone? I am not having much success. :wall:

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
If you're taking photos of just the pearls, I find diffuse light works best so outside in the shade or on an overcast day work best. Some people use light boxes which you can make yourself or pick up on eBay for a few bucks. Not necessary though! Also a white background works well, such as paper towel.

For pearl selfies, try taking a photo in front of a mirror with the main camera (front camera) pointed towards you. That way the photo quality is better and you can see what you're doing!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Siameseroo|1462659228|4028752 said:
If you're taking photos of just the pearls, I find diffuse light works best so outside in the shade or on an overcast day work best. Some people use light boxes which you can make yourself or pick up on eBay for a few bucks. Not necessary though! Also a white background works well, such as paper towel.

For pearl selfies, try taking a photo in front of a mirror with the main camera (front camera) pointed towards you. That way the photo quality is better and you can see what you're doing!

Well, that's why I couldn't capture the true color and luster of my pearls . . . ummm, I was trying to photograph them in bright sunlight! :rolleyes: They are too beautiful not to share: silvery with wonderful luster. :love: I will take pictures tomorrow using your tips Siameseroo!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
ClassyRocks|1462665501|4028783 said:
Siameseroo|1462659228|4028752 said:

Well, that's why I couldn't capture the true color and luster of my pearls . . . ummm, I was trying to photograph them in bright sunlight! :rolleyes: They are too beautiful not to share: silvery with wonderful luster. :love: I will take pictures tomorrow using your tips Siameseroo!

Great! Looking forward to seeing photos!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Here's mine! :love:

photo_1-21.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful pearls Seaurchin,Phanie,Tucs and Classyrocks!

Phanie: would you consider upgrading to a bigger (and longer) strand? Am asking as many of us have outgrown our starter strands and in hindsight I would just buy bigger to save money in the long run.

Classyrocks: oh we need details! Which one of the Giants did you get? How big are they? Do you like them (vs ur mikimotos)? N neck shots of course

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Hi icy jade! I am really glad to have the Edisons (can't remember the size, but it wasn't from the largest group). I was nervous that they would look sort of dull like fwp that I have seen before, but these are lustrous and have more of a silver body color! :dance: I think I will wear them more than my Mikimoto's because I like really large pearls now. There are still occasions that I like to layer round pearls with the Miki's though.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Ladies, would you keep these? They are white, metallic and up to 14mm. What do you think?

photo_2-17.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
ClassyRocks|1462746024|4029074 said:
Ladies, would you keep these? They are white, metallic and up to 14mm. What do you think?

They look very nicely metallic. Ripples may not be for everyone so it's really up to personal preferences... They are fairly different from your regular pearls n give a more casual vibe. Why don't you keep them for a few days n decide if you like them?

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Icy Jade, are all ripples metallic?
btw, my eddies have a wonderful presence! You are going to love yours! I am excited for you to receive them :appl:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
ClassyRocks|1462756150|4029120 said:
Icy Jade, are all ripples metallic?
btw, my eddies have a wonderful presence! You are going to love yours! I am excited for you to receive them :appl:

They vary in how metallic they are... The more metallic the better I think.

I'm excited to get mine too! Just wrote in to ask when the clasps will arrive.

Genkibird

Rough_Rock
Just a notice that if you missed the PP "giants" a strand should be coming available soon. However, be aware I think this was a return already before I bought it this week on a whim while shopping for a last minute gift for the mother in law. I was able to pick the strand the yesterday and although I believe this would have been fun to wear there is a long scratch along the face of one of the pearls near the front. A serpentine pin point like track that is better seen with a loupe. It is really not noticeable from a distance so it may not be an issue for everyone... I buy vintage jewelry usually on a weekly basis so I am usually fairly tolerant of flaws and items that may need minor repairs. For items like this natural flaws are to be expected but I do think this is not one of those. Anyway, from what I have read so far from others there may not be replacements available to switch this out. Today, as usual, the website has an infuriating endless loop when trying to sign in to send a message back about the order to verify this when they reopen. So back it goes. On the bright side the mother in law liked her earrings

giant-1.jpg

giant-2.jpg

giant-3.jpg

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Genkibird, I'm sorry the purchase ended up being a disappointment :(sad It's very nice of you to let others know that they will become available.

ClassyRocks, your baroques are really lovely! I'm looking forward to neck shots and would love to know their size (which should be on the appraisal). Wear them in good health and happiness.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Genkibird: thanks for sharing your experience n photos. It looks like a really lovely strand if not for the scratch mark. Such a shame/waste. I wonder if the scratch mark is a natural flaw or can be removed by buffing?

Classyrocks: if you created a pp account you can see your order details when you log on to your account too. But yeah the appraisal that accompanies the strand will have the 'vital statistics'.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
ClassyRocks|1462746024|4029074 said:

They look lovely, very lustrous. But most importantly, do you love them?

Phanie

Shiny_Rock
icy_jade|1462738718|4029031 said:
Beautiful pearls Seaurchin,Phanie,Tucs and Classyrocks!

Phanie: would you consider upgrading to a bigger (and longer) strand? Am asking as many of us have outgrown our starter strands and in hindsight I would just buy bigger to save money in the long run.

SO it is my first necklace pearls purchase in years (anything with weight or to close to my neck and I freak out; long story ;( )
I finally decided to brave the freak out and wear a pearl necklace (I wear quite e bit of pearl earrings).
So I needed something of nice quality but cheap in case I would not be able to wear it. Did not want to go to Costco (teehee).
Long time PS lurker and fairly recent poster I found PP through the sticky Thank you people for it.
I will upgrade to a longer strand 18" (sending tomorrow) but not bigger.
Yet.
I am a RN and want an everyday necklace that I can wear easily ( I wear light blue ugly scrubs, soon to be navy).
Then i fellupon the dreaded PS problem : "show me your pieces " and the Wilma Edison pearls and Bam...
I have DSS but in pearls! Damn you PS.
My problem how much does a FW Edison strand weighs?
They are amazing and so "affordable" that I can justify buying one ( yes hubs is cool but spending $5k or more on a straand that i might not wear, hmmm no). And I kinda rationalized that I have pulled the "too big for work " dilemma before (cf Vivienne, my OEC).
So this is my first strand but won't be the last... Thanks to "a year of pearls in the life of a preK teacher" I am now on the hunt for fireball earrings and pendants and a nice Wilma.
Ladies I do thank you for sharing your beauties, my hubs might not (though pearls are cheaper than diamonds when starting!)

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful pearls everyone. I'm starting to want some Edisons now after seeing the beauties on here!

I ordered a pair of Tahitians, GSS, and Akoyas from POJ's Mother's Day sales. So far I've only got a photo of the GSS, and I'm terrible at taking photos of them while on the ear, so I've only got a photo of them in hand. The shot on the left is in shaded natural light, the right is in direct sunlight. :wavey:

13099108_800289850101348_681317280_n.jpg

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
baby nurse|1462769460|4029169 said:
Genkibird, I'm sorry the purchase ended up being a disappointment :(sad It's very nice of you to let others know that they will become available.

ClassyRocks, your baroques are really lovely! I'm looking forward to neck shots and would love to know their size (which should be on the appraisal). Wear them in good health and happiness.

They are up to 14.9. I am so thankful to have them! :appl:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
ClassyRocks|1462931082|4030030 said:
baby nurse|1462769460|4029169 said:

They are up to 14.9. I am so thankful to have them! :appl:

Classyrocks, maybe this is your strand? http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-5855...e-semi-baroque-freshwater-pearl-necklace.aspx

I always save my glamour shots for future enjoyment. Just in case you wanna do the same. ::)

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
mochiko42|1462930778|4030028 said:
Beautiful pearls everyone. I'm starting to want some Edisons now after seeing the beauties on here!

I ordered a pair of Tahitians, GSS, and Akoyas from POJ's Mother's Day sales. So far I've only got a photo of the GSS, and I'm terrible at taking photos of them while on the ear, so I've only got a photo of them in hand. The shot on the left is in shaded natural light, the right is in direct sunlight. :wavey:

I'm sure Edisons will become more widely available soon. :naughty:

Do share pics of your other earrings when you can. Which one of them do u like best?

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
IcyJade, do you think the Big Edisons will be offered at the same price point?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
ClassyRocks|1462966121|4030173 said:

I'm curious why you ask that way...

Anyway to answer your question, that's hard to say cos there are so many factors involved... Whether there is supply, what the demand is, whether prices go up (as they have in recent years for many types of pearls), etc...

From what I recall, typically the first batch of pearls brought in by PP may be at a cheaper 'offer' price which then reverts to a more expensive pricing for subsequent batches. But I've also seen cases where the items become 'mainstream' and then you can use coupon codes to buy them during festive seasons... Or that they are never brought in again and are really 'once-off' items... Or it can take years before another batch is brought in/sold... So my take is to just take the plunge if I really like what I see and then enjoy the pearls and forget the prices...

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
icy_jade|1462969091|4030188 said:
ClassyRocks|1462966121|4030173 said:

I'm curious why you ask that way...

Anyway to answer your question, that's hard to say cos there are so many factors involved... Whether there is supply, what the demand is, whether prices go up (as they have in recent years for many types of pearls), etc...

From what I recall, typically the first batch of pearls brought in by PP may be at a cheaper 'offer' price which then reverts to a more expensive pricing for subsequent batches. But I've also seen cases where the items become 'mainstream' and then you can use coupon codes to buy them during festive seasons... Or that they are never brought in again and are really 'once-off' items... Or it can take years before another batch is brought in/sold... So my take is to just take the plunge if I really like what I see and then enjoy the pearls and forget the prices...

I consider you an expert, and you have a beautiful collection! You know a great deal, and I appreciate your advice. :wavey:

Phanie

Shiny_Rock
Genkibird|1462758011|4029131 said:
Just a notice that if you missed the PP "giants" a strand should be coming available soon. However, be aware I think this was a return already before I bought it this week on a whim while shopping for a last minute gift for the mother in law. I was able to pick the strand the yesterday and although I believe this would have been fun to wear there is a long scratch along the face of one of the pearls near the front. A serpentine pin point like track that is better seen with a loupe. It is really not noticeable from a distance so it may not be an issue for everyone... I buy vintage jewelry usually on a weekly basis so I am usually fairly tolerant of flaws and items that may need minor repairs. For items like this natural flaws are to be expected but I do think this is not one of those. Anyway, from what I have read so far from others there may not be replacements available to switch this out. Today, as usual, the website has an infuriating endless loop when trying to sign in to send a message back about the order to verify this when they reopen. So back it goes. On the bright side the mother in law liked her earrings

Hi,is it the strand that clocks at 12.7-13.7?
Thanks (I have the opportunity to buy one that is available and want to make sure it is good , I think this would bug me).
Steph

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Genkibird|1462758011|4029131 said:
Just a notice that if you missed the PP "giants" a strand should be coming available soon. However, be aware I think this was a return already before I bought it this week on a whim while shopping for a last minute gift for the mother in law. I was able to pick the strand the yesterday and although I believe this would have been fun to wear there is a long scratch along the face of one of the pearls near the front.

I'm no expert, but I think the hairline looks like a natural flaw and not a crack or scratch. Blame the mollusk?

I'm all about lustre and overtones, and I like organic shapes, so I would probably keep them. I think they're very pretty.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
mochiko42|1462930778|4030028 said:

Mochiko your GSS are gorgeous. Photos of the other pearls please! Especially the Tahitians!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results