shape
carat
color
clarity

Sea of Cortez Pearls - some eye candy

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Anyway, i suspect I'm preaching to the choir here but in case you guys don't know what I'm talking about- they're fairly rare pearls, that are produced by a single company/farm in Mexico. Historically Mexico was a source for some amazing pearls like La Peregrina, for example. But for a number of reasons Mexico never really ended up cultivating pearls much. Pteria sterna, the Rainbow Lip Oyster, is the oyster the Sea of Cortez pearls are grown in. The overtones and orient of Sea of Cortez pearls are just amazing- a beautiful rainbow effect. They have thick nacre and are rarely round, almost all of them are baroque of some variety. Near round is about the roundest they come. The colors are more rainbowy and hard to pin down- IMO though they're typically darker pearls they tend towards mid-tones more than Tahitian pearls do. (For example, you don't see fully black Sea of Cortez pearls- at least not that I've run into.)

So, of course this is leading up to something :Up_to_something:. I just got one from the http://www.perlashop.comsite, which is the company that farms the pearls I believe. I purchased a pair from druzydesigns on ebay about a year ago and ended up making a pair of earrings with them that I gifted to my mom on mother's day last year IIRC. The ones that ended up with mom are very baroque in shape, totally irregular, gorgeous color with rainbow iridescence all over- in fact it's hard to pinpoint what you'd call the body color with so many overtones and orient, but they're a mid-tone, not too dark and not too light. However the lustre was meh on the ones my mom has- very much like a medium priced freshwater pearl, but the lustre had depth and they weren't chalky looking whatsoever. It was a silky sort of lustre. I did find the lack of lustre kinda distracting from the otherwise-gorgeous pearls.

Anyway, the one I sprung for from perlashop.com is very lustrous looking, with lots of orient and neat overtones. I had been missing the earrings and wanting to do *something* with Sea of Cortez pearls. After hemming and hawing for awhile, I decided I'd rather have one really lovely pearl than a group of not so fabulous ones, so I picked out a 9x10.5mm fat drop semi-baroque pearl. It's listed as dark violet with intense blue purple green overtones and it definitely has killer lustre. There was one drop shaped one with a similar listed color, that looked like it had the most gorgeous violet underbelly, but it was already sold :((

For the first group of pics, these are the pics of the single drop pearl I have on the way.

So I will- eventually- make it into a pendant/enhancer to wear with some of my various other strands of pearls, possibly with the two 1/2 ct OECs I've been sitting on involved. Once I forget how much I spent on the single pearl at least!

So anybody else got any Sea of Cortez pearls? I seem to remember at least one person out there in PSland has one...

I'll post some eyecandy just for fun too, because it was kinda hard to find on the perlashop.com website. All their strands of pearls are long ago sold, looks like it takes years for a good one to be produced. And I'm guessing, judging by pearl prices on their site, the really amazing necklaces are easily north of $50K. More like $100K I suspect. But oh my they're lovely!

ETA: Here's a link for some history on the Sea of Cortez pearls http://www.cortezpearls.com/discove...-pearls-jewelry-history-and-information-2.php

thispearl1.jpg

thispearl2.jpg

thispearl3.jpg

thispearl4.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
This is the to-die-for 2010 necklace made of the best of several years' harvest. They actually name them! This one is the "Bacochibampo" necklace. Even my husband, who isn't into pearls, was amazed by this one. That center pearl is something like 11+mm. (The Sea of Cortez pearls are fairly smallish compared to, like, South Seas pearls.)

bacochibampo1.jpg

bacochibampo2.jpg

bacochibampo3.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
This is the drop pearl that was my first choice- too bad someone else snagged it first!

theonethatgotaway1.jpg

theonethatgotaway2.jpg

theonethatgotaway3.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Some other random pics from perlashop.com... one of the 2008 necklace called La Boheme, and a keshi strand named Mares Lucis.

mareslucis1.jpg

mareslucis2.jpg

laboheme2008.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
For comparison, here's some of the Sea of Cortez pearls DruzyDesigns sells on ebay. Still gorgeous... but definitely not the orgasmically gorgeous ones you can get straight from the source. Priced a bit different too, lol.

I would definitely not kick this bracelet out of bed for eating crackers.

cortezbraceletdruzy1.jpg

cortezbraceletdruzy2.jpg

cortezsingledruzy1.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
A couple more necklaces, baroque Sea of Cortez pearls, long gone off the perlashop.com site.

OK that's it! Just wanted to add some fun eyecandy here... if anyone else has any Sea of Cortez goodies to post, go for it :bigsmile: I'll have to bust out the good camera when the new drop pearl comes.

2010baroquenecklace.jpg

2010baroquenecklace2.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok, call me crazy but i love the one that you did get and am just ho-hum re the one that got away!

thanks for the eye candy!

MoZo

iLander

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie said:
ok, call me crazy but i love the one that you did get and am just ho-hum re the one that got away!

thanks for the eye candy!

MoZo

I'm with you, MZ! I am loving the one that's coming to "us". :love: (all PSer's share. I will take the Jan-Feb shift, thank you :naughty: )

It's a beauty and thank you for the education!

Though I really should be mad, because now I have something else to lust after! :lol:

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
I got some Cortez pearls at the PG PP ruckus in July. They are baroque, not perfect, but full of character and colorful.

The first is an odd shape with different colors on different sides. But I like the orangy and purplish bottom (more orangy in real life than photo, which looks pinkish purple). This color is unusual for me. I mounted it on a flower pendant from riogrande.com. Sorry, just took the pix today, some cropping and resizing but no color adjusting.

IMG_4842.jpg

IMG_4843.jpg

IMG_4844.jpg

IMG_4845-1.jpg

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
PP put this trio dangle together for me. The chain does not go with it. I just grabbed it to hang the dangle for picture purpose. These are what I would call rainbow pearls.

IMG_4847-1.jpg

IMG_4849-1.jpg

IMG_4850-1.jpg

IMG_4851-1.jpg

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a blue cortez with 2 super metallic FW pearls that Jeremy gave me. It is more blue IRL, just picks up more purple somehow in my photos.

IMG_4852.jpg

IMG_4854.jpg

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
The same trio with some pastel tahitians for color reference. The tahitians are slightly a softer blue. Blue cortez is kind of bronzy, but not that much IRL.

IMG_4855-1.jpg

IMG_4856-1.jpg

IMG_4857-1.jpg

IMG_4858-1.jpg

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
LittleGreyKitten said:
For comparison, here's some of the Sea of Cortez pearls DruzyDesigns sells on ebay. Still gorgeous... but definitely not the orgasmically gorgeous ones you can get straight from the source. Priced a bit different too, lol.

I would definitely not kick this bracelet out of bed for eating crackers.

There are only 2 US distributors: Columbia Gemhouse/Trigems Designs and Druzy. The better Cortez stayed in its Mexico shop or go to Columbia/Trigems http://www.cortezpearls.com/cortez-pearls-jewelry/cortez-pearls-jewelry.php......

As you can see from the above link, some Cortez pearls resemble peacock tahitian pearls. Some of the ones Douglas showed us look bluish, similar to abalone pearls. When I was picking my stash, I was going for unusual colors that distinguish themselves from the Tahitians.

Here is a picture I took at the ruckus. Douglas was selling them in a package of 4-5 pearls. He also had some bags of keshi and mabes, not shown here.

IMG_4719-1.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Wow, wow, wow!! :love: Thank you so much, both of you, for the photos. Wow, again!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
HHPmom said:
PP put this trio dangle together for me. The chain does not go with it. I just grabbed it to hang the dangle for picture purpose. These are what I would call rainbow pearls.

Thank you so much for posting these HHPmom. I adore looking at these pearls. I posted a link to Perlas Del Mar De Cortez a few days ago. I think their mabes are very reasonably priced. I definitely see some of these gorgeous pearls in my future.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
HHPmom, wow! Your collection is just delicious. That blue Cortez pearl is just unearthly looking. I bet it was awesome to get to peruse a bunch of them in person.

Does Mariane need an adopted daughter :bigsmile: ? Lucky lady! What a gorgeous necklace. I wouldn't have guessed how affordable that necklace was... er, well, you know what I mean! :tongue:

MoZo, & iLander, thanks! I am hoping "we" :wink2: love it when it arrives, lol. Looking at them again, I think the one I got is a bit less Tahitian-pearl looking than the one that got away, so that's good. I suspect in person it will be softer in color, but still lovely I'm hoping! The folks who run the website are very responsive via email, which is awesome. (I finally caved and bought a new (used) version of my missing good camera so I can finally take some decent, non-cruddy-cellphone-camera pics when it comes.)

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
LGK, forgive my apalling manners. I commented on HHP's pearls and completely forgot to mention your choice. And I agree, I think the one you chose is nicer than the one that got away and I look forward to seeing more of it and hearing what you think.

Meanwhile, for my Sea of Cortez lovers, here's another gal who has some from time to time: http://vintage-sparkleantiquejewelry.com/products/category_list.php?CatID=89

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Gailey said:
Meanwhile, for my Sea of Cortez lovers, here's another gal who has some from time to time: http://vintage-sparkleantiquejewelry.com/products/category_list.php?CatID=89

That's Sueki from the other forum. Those are older stock, I believe. I have not seen new pieces in her shop recently. She used to have some really nice Kamoka necklaces too. Another UK seller (of both Kamoka and Cortez) is pearlescence. She has smaller inventory of Cortez and Kamoka though.

If any of you get a chance to go to the ruckus next year, maybe you can see more Cortez pearls in person. Hopefully Douglas decides to return. He's a very nice person. Another cheap way to get to Guaymas is take the bus from Tucson, also mentioned somewhere in the other forum and tripadvisor search. I think it's about $40 one way or $40 RT, still a very economical way of getting there. I really think he's got very unique pearls, and more colorful than other sellers, with the exception of Trigems which comes with a premium price. If you consider going, do check with Douglas of the harvest timing so you will see more pearls, as well as avoid the humid months.

LGK, looking forward to your pictures to share with us. Douglas is a gem to do business with.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
HHPmom said:
Here is Mariane. She bought the 2010 baroque necklace posted above. I can't remember the exact price, but was under $4K. I also posted this picture in the other forum's ruckus thread.

For that price she got a BARGAIN! :love:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
HHPmom said:
The same trio with some pastel tahitians for color reference. The tahitians are slightly a softer blue. Blue cortez is kind of bronzy, but not that much IRL.[/quote

OMG!! Seriously, the Cortez are outshining the tahitians IMHO, they are beyond beautiful. :love:

HHP you are so lucky and I am continuously amazed at your STUNNING collection! :appl: :appl:

Jealous! =) =)

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
iLander said:
HHPmom said:
Here is Mariane. She bought the 2010 baroque necklace posted above. I can't remember the exact price, but was under $4K. I also posted this picture in the other forum's ruckus thread.

For that price she got a BARGAIN! :love:

For those that peruse perlasshop you may remember the price quoted before it was sold. I don't trust my memory much. I was very intoxicated with lots of pearls around me at the time. I remember it was very affordable, compared to the round strand. Maybe not < $4K? More like $4,300 ...? With keen eyes, you can see the ruckus price on the pearl bags.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
HHPmom said:
Gailey said:

That's Sueki from the other forum. Those are older stock, I believe. I have not seen new pieces in her shop recently. She used to have some really nice Kamoka necklaces too. Another UK seller (of both Kamoka and Cortez) is pearlescence. She has smaller inventory of Cortez and Kamoka though.

If any of you get a chance to go to the ruckus next year, maybe you can see more Cortez pearls in person. Hopefully Douglas decides to return. He's a very nice person. Another cheap way to get to Guaymas is take the bus from Tucson, also mentioned somewhere in the other forum and tripadvisor search. I think it's about $40 one way or $40 RT, still a very economical way of getting there. I really think he's got very unique pearls, and more colorful than other sellers, with the exception of Trigems which comes with a premium price. If you consider going, do check with Douglas of the harvest timing so you will see more pearls, as well as avoid the humid months.

LGK, looking forward to your pictures to share with us. Douglas is a gem to do business with.

I'd love to go to the Rukus, but having only bought one pair of Freshadama earrings from Jeremy so far, I'm not sure I'd make the invite list.

Meanwhile, is this the UK supplier you were talking about? http://www.pearlescence.co.uk/index.php

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
My dear Gailey,

That's the pearlescence I was talking about.

The ruckus is open invitation. The more the merrier. I was considering going next year and extend our trip a few extra days because the kids love L.A., especially the shopping and Manhattan Beach. However, we are seriously thinking of not going to save for our 2012 vacation.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOWZA!!! Get me off of this thread before I get in trouble! The pearls really are just phenominal! LGK... that pearl is beautiful....not far off from the one that got away!! I love the idea of a pearl enhancer with OECs!!! :love: :love: :appl:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
HHPmom said:

good grief, she apparently is NOT worried about her very tiny/thin chain scratching those lovelies!!!!!

MoZo

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
movie zombie said:
good grief, she apparently is NOT worried about her very tiny/thin chain scratching those lovelies!!!!!

MoZo

LOL. She barely had a chance to put the strand on and I took the opportunity to take a picture.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I keep coming back to admire the Sea of Cortez pearls on this thread. Thank you, LGK, for starting it, and to you, HHP, for sharing your gorgeous pictures. I just ordered this little oddity from druzydesign on ebay yesterday, and looking forward to it arriving in a few days. Sea of Cortez platinum rainbow baroque 9.9 mm x 11 mm with some interesting rings. Looking forward to see the play of colors in real life. I'm thinking I can insert a fitting and make a loop at the top myself and wear it on a chain for fun.

Cortez2.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl said:
I keep coming back to admire the Sea of Cortez pearls on this thread. Thank you, LGK, for starting it, and to you, HHP, for sharing your gorgeous pictures. I just ordered this little oddity from druzydesign on ebay yesterday, and looking forward to it arriving in a few days. Sea of Cortez platinum rainbow baroque 9.9 mm x 11 mm with some interesting rings. Looking forward to see the play of colors in real life. I'm thinking I can insert a fitting and make a loop at the top myself and wear it on a chain for fun.

Now I would think that would be a lot of fun!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fly Girl said:

ooh I love the rainbow colored rings! We must see pics!! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results