shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about new Akoya necklace

HintsofRose

Rough_Rock
I'm very new to pearls, I've always wanted a necklace and finally, for Valentines day, I decided, what was I waiting for? I ordered the 9/9.5 Silver Baroque Akoyas. I wore them on Valentines Day and they felt absolutely wonderful.

My question is, does this look like a natural flaw to you? I don't expect each pearl to be perfect, but this looks more like damage from a tool to me, rather than a natural variation. Also, should the silk be fraying like this already?

Thanks for any feedback.

pearls_4.jpg

pearls_5.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi HintsofRose!

1. Yes, they look like naturally-ocurring blemishes. This happens with baroques.

2. Silk tends to fray. This is one of the reasons I prefer synthetic threads.

• It frays with use. Were these pre-owned? If they were new, was the silk frayed when you first got them?
• It frays where the loose end is trimmed after back-knotting. Is this an endless stand? (i.e. no clasp.)
• It frays if while knotting, a knot forms where you doesn't want one and you have to pick it apart (been there, done that)
• It can fray after it is washed. Did you give the pearls a bath?

The important thing is that it isn't frayed enough to endanger the integrity of the knot or to risk the thread breaking.

I would say, enjoy the pearls and do not worry about these little details.

HintsofRose

Rough_Rock
Hello Back, Pearlsngems!

I appreciate your feedback, I just had to ask as it was on my mind, its reassuring to know that it's just the nature of baroques. They were a bit of an investment for me, and ordering online sight unseen did make me wonder.

These are brand new, they're an 18" strand. I ordered them from Pearl Paradise, there is a clasp. I don't think I would dare to get them wet enough to give them a bath, they get wiped down and stored after I wear them.

Thanks so much for the reassurance, I will definitely continue enjoying them.

HintsofRose

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the frayed area is in a very obvious location you could ask PP about restring them, but if it can't be seen unless you go looking for it, I'd just let it be.

Eventually you will want to restring them anyway, as silk does stretch over time.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearl Paradise has a great return policy and their customer service is awesome. Baroque strands have a huge degree of individual variability...so if you are not loving that particular blemish, you could always contact them and make arrangements to exchange your strand for one that might suit you a bit more. You could explain what it was that you didn't like about your strand (i.e., that one blemished pearl) and they could help you pick out another one that you'd like more (they'll even send you pictures of ones to pick from). Or, they might be willing to swap out just that one pearl from your strand if you loved the strand except for that one pearl.

It doesn't hurt to ask. You'll own your strand for a long time to come, and it shouldn't come with any regrets.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
I find that my baroque strands fray more often than round, smooth, or other non-blemished pearls. Maybe that's because the baroques sometimes have more jagged edges around drilling hole? Who knows. The pearls themselves are lovely and the rainbow colors they present are beautiful.

HintsofRose

Rough_Rock
I'm happy with my pearls, especially learning that it is a natural flaw and not man-made. Plus, they just feel so nice on.

Interesting to learn that the shape of the baroque affects the silk... but as pearls are soft, would using a synthetic string be harder on them I wonder?

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi
Are you sure that is a wisp of silk and not a wisp of sweater or some other thread which has got wrapped around the knot. Try picking it out with some tweezers if you are good at getting out knots. Silk should not fray from new. Pearls are not so soft that natural or synthetic silk would abrade them.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
HintsofRose|1425877207|3844146 said:
Interesting to learn that the shape of the baroque affects the silk... but as pearls are soft, would using a synthetic string be harder on them I wonder?
Pearls aren't that soft. Not like chalk.

HintsofRose

Rough_Rock
Pearlescence|1425885313|3844159 said:
Hi
Are you sure that is a wisp of silk and not a wisp of sweater or some other thread which has got wrapped around the knot. Try picking it out with some tweezers if you are good at getting out knots. Silk should not fray from new. Pearls are not so soft that natural or synthetic silk would abrade them.

No, that's how they came out of the box. Perhaps baroques tend to fray the silk more, as Pirard commented? There is definitely more fraying on one end as compared to the other.

Thanks again for all the reassurance!

Very helpful board!!!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The silk should not be frayed on a new necklace. Nor should it fray in normal wear. Stretch and fail yes, over time, but not be frayed from the start.
Nor should the drill hole on a baroque pearl be any less clean than the drill hole on a round pearl. If the drill hole is jagged that's bad drilling. It's either been drilled right through (most likely) and not half way to half way or the drill is blunt or badly operated.

As for using synthetics. We generally plump for a synthetic when the pearls are over about 12mm, simply because of the weight. because the buyer wants to swim with them still on or if the person is a serial necklace breaker. The ones we use still have a good drape.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well they are very pretty pearls ! I can see the pinks and blues ... gorgeous. If you are not 100% sure of them then just call and talk about it ... they have excellent customer service and I'm sure they can sort it all out for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results