shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me choose one Tahitian stran

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
I am new here., This is my first post.
I like pearls. This will be my first Tahitian necklace.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7232/14033389785_ce14fd1987_b.jpg

I just purchased two strands about the same time from two different places.

both are in the same size range 9 - 11MM. One strand ( bottom) is a multiple colored one, almost all round. Only one thing I dislike is that there is dimple on the center pearl. while the rest pearl look quite clean.

Then I get a call from another store , the Sales lady told me that they have a 50% off +20 off. So I got another one( on the top in the photo) with a little cheap price.

The cheap one has unify color, but at least 50 % of pearsl are not clean and also not round, so my question is which one is a good buy for 500 dollar different?

kylier

Shiny_Rock
Hi Melody,
Welcome and thanks for posting pictures. I'm new to this forum too, but not new to pearls. I love Tahitians. Personally to me, those are two hard to compare strands. The multicolor strand is round, or very nearly round, and has nice luster and I like the multicolor strands. The other one I would call almost baroque, not round, and that puts it in a different price range entirely. It has some rounds, but there are a good number of baroque, drop shaped, not round pearls.
Tahitians are priced differently based on luster, color, size, and shape. Rounds and mostly rounds are going to cost more than other shapes, and high luster with less blemishes will cost more than low luster with more blemishes. Color is more about preference. If you want a uniform strand they are commonly found in rounds. I personally love circled Tahitians because of the color play.
Which strand makes you happy, price aside?
One thing that concerns me is that even with the uniform strand having larger pearls, I feel like the difference between baroque and a round strand should be more than 500. Have you looked on Pearlparadise.com at the Tahitian section? Look at the prices on baroques and drops vs. rounds. Baroques seem to start around 600 and go up to 1300, where rounds seem to start around 2100 at the bottom and go up from there. If you look at that vendor, you will get an idea of whether you've paid fair prices.
Can you give us the labels these vendors gave you? Like as far as grading, size, shape, etc?
And welcome again!

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
kylier|1398804102|3662985 said:
Hi Melody,
Welcome and thanks for posting pictures. I'm new to this forum too, but not new to pearls. I love Tahitians. Personally to me, those are two hard to compare strands. The multicolor strand is round, or very nearly round, and has nice luster and I like the multicolor strands. The other one I would call almost baroque, not round, and that puts it in a different price range entirely. It has some rounds, but there are a good number of baroque, drop shaped, not round pearls.
Tahitians are priced differently based on luster, color, size, and shape. Rounds and mostly rounds are going to cost more than other shapes, and high luster with less blemishes will cost more than low luster with more blemishes. Color is more about preference. If you want a uniform strand they are commonly found in rounds. I personally love circled Tahitians because of the color play.
Which strand makes you happy, price aside?
One thing that concerns me is that even with the uniform strand having larger pearls, I feel like the difference between baroque and a round strand should be more than 500. Have you looked on Pearlparadise.com at the Tahitian section? Look at the prices on baroques and drops vs. rounds. Baroques seem to start around 600 and go up to 1300, where rounds seem to start around 2100 at the bottom and go up from there. If you look at that vendor, you will get an idea of whether you've paid fair prices.
Can you give us the labels these vendors gave you? Like as far as grading, size, shape, etc?
And welcome again!

Thanks for the insight. I like uniform shape within a strand. If I want get baroque, i would like they are in the same shape.
I like the dark colored one only because of its price.

I have compared pearls and prices in Pearlparadise.com, i haven't seen a round strand under 2000.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Melody, The round strand seems under priced and the baroque very over priced. That screaming deal was way over priced before the "sale" and discount and still over priced afterwards. $3,000 regular price, really?
Here is a similar sized strand which seems a much better deal and what I would expect to pay with no discounts. When they are appropriately priced, you don't need phony sales tactics.
http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/tahitian-pearl-necklace/circle_tahitian_pearl_necklace_tnmi.htm

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the multi-colored due to the luster and colors. I wouldn't buy the other one simply because it's cheaper. If you don't love it, you'll always regret not buying the one you really wanted. I think many of us have "been there, done that".

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
NacreLover|1398806080|3663006 said:
Melody, The round strand seems under priced and the baroque very over priced. That screaming deal was way over priced before the "sale" and discount and still over priced afterwards. $3,000 regular price, really?
Here is a similar sized strand which seems a much better deal and what I would expect to pay with no discounts. When they are appropriately priced, you don't need phony sales tactics.
http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/tahitian-pearl-necklace/circle_tahitian_pearl_necklace_tnmi.htm
Wow, what a pretty strand for that price. I may just buy this one and use the money toward a white south sea pearl strand.

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
bsomlo|1398806242|3663009 said:
I prefer the multi-colored due to the luster and colors. I wouldn't buy the other one simply because it's cheaper. If you don't love it, you'll always regret not buying the one you really wanted. I think many of us have "been there, done that".

Thanks for the very good advice. there's an old saying with tools: 'Buy (the best) once, cry once", does that apply to pearls?

kylier

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful strand what a great price. More money saved for more pearls? The best!
If you didn't see anything under 2k on PP then you only looked at rounds, they have baroques and some are quite uniform if you contact them. But I love that strand from tahitianpearls.biz and think its an awesome deal!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
MelodySaw|1398815670|3663136 said:
psproot12|1398812653|3663103 said:
That's a great price, I would go for it.
Thanks for the very good advice. there's an old saying with tools: 'Buy (the best) once, cry once", does that apply to pearls?
I think that is sound advice.( I buy tools too) If you're looking for a round strand, buying the other will be your "get by strand" until you save for the other. Buying what you love even if you have to save up for it, is a better idea in the long run.
Other vendors have similar pearls and you may find a strand you like better. Welcome to the PriceScope pearl forum.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
MelodySaw - Welcome! We love helping/enabling other pearl lovers! I prefer the multi-colored one you first showed because of the shape and luster of the pearls. And the pearl colors are really nice. Let us know what you decide but I agree with many here - buy the best you can, pearls that "speak" to you and you won't regret it!

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
pkinnew|1398862715|3663492 said:
MelodySaw - Welcome! We love helping/enabling other pearl lovers! I prefer the multi-colored one you first showed because of the shape and luster of the pearls. And the pearl colors are really nice. Let us know what you decide but I agree with many here - buy the best you can, pearls that "speak" to you and you won't regret it!

Thanks a lot.
I decided to keep the mix-colored one.

I think it looks good on my skin. But I am still searching for a white / golden strand. I am waiting for Jose to send me some pictures.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7137/13748848705_8767b269df.jpg

leyhuong

Shiny_Rock
I think you've already made your decision. Just want to add that, I like the multi-colored much more than the other one. The luster is among the highest for tahitian pearls.

kylier

Shiny_Rock
The mix colored one is gorgeous and a really good deal for being so round and lustrous. Congrats!

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
leyhuong|1398905290|3663986 said:
I think you've already made your decision. Just want to add that, I like the multi-colored much more than the other one. The luster is among the highest for tahitian pearls.

Thanks, it feels good for this first pearl purchase.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results