shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl info/help please

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cleaning out my old jewelry box this morning, and I have these two necklaces. I know nothing about them ... My mom and Grandmom gave them to me years ago. I don't know if they were costume pearls or real. Is it possible to tell anything with these pictures? I am going up to my jeweler this afternoon also and can take them along. Just wanted to get an idea of what I have so I can ensure I take care of them accordingly.

Thanks much, in advance!

_17377.jpg

_17378.jpg

_17380.jpg

_17379.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO according to my untrained eyes, the pearls are too even in colour, shape and lustre etc. to be real, and I cannot see any distinguish marks on the clasp, and the remaining findings do not appear to be of good quality.

Hopefully the experts will shed some light soon.

Also, check out this thread from another board dedicated to pearls that may help you further:

http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8058

DK :))

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks much. I just got back from my jeweler, and they are costume pearls. But that's okay ... I have only worn them once or twice (not really a pearl person). But since they were kind of "haphazardly" given to me years ago, I never thought to ask, and wanted to make sure since they were just sitting in my jewelry box, so I was worried about care, if they were real.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to post the following but you posted again before I hit "submit".
I'll post it anyway as it may help someone else who has similar strands.
Remember that they have sentimental value since they came from your loved ones, and fashion value in any case.

They both look like imitation pearls.

The extreme uniformity of shape, color and surface qualities, the slightly flattened ends near the drill holes, the grainy surface texture (great close up photos, by the way) the wrinkled appearance of the excess coating near the drill hole in the 3rd photo, the apparently base-metal clasp in the first photo and the large size of the drill holes relative to the pearls all point to imitation pearls.

If you like you can try this simple test (be gentle, even imitation pearls can be enjoyed and it would be a shame to scrape the coating off): Rub two of the pearls gently against each other. Imitation pearls are smooth and slide against each other easily, while real nacre is very slightly resistant when rubbed together (or against the edge of your front tooth.).

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
JoCoJenn - While they may be costume they are still lovely, especially because of the sentimental value!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results