shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl Drops

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have similar but not egg shaped south sea drops that I got from Pearl Society. odd that looking at the pictures I see "flaws" but IRL I don't see them and the luster is much better. they were not inexpensive but they were also not over priced.

18k_yg_pendant_or_earrings.jpg

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pair of Tahiatian drops that Sarah gave me when I visited Kojima Pearl that I wear on diamond hoops. I had Jeremy put the exact setting that is shown on your picture. I never thought to try them on my diamond studs though.

These might be what you are looking for if not email her to look for what you want. Plus she is having a sale until the end of the month. The coupon code is on her facebook page for 15% off.

http://kojimapearl.myshopify.com/products/pair-of-satin-white-drop-pearls-1

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1369938356|3456433 said:
I have never bought from this seller but they have a good reputation with buyers from the other pearl forum.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/IndoSeaPearls?section_id=12715913

I have purchased from Indo Sea Pearls and the pearls are lovely. Have the vendor half-drill the pearls and then your local jeweler can add the metal loop. I've had two different local jewelers add the loops to my pearls, and it makes them into lovely and versatile pieces.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
centralsquare -- I'm so glad you started this thread! I have beautiful diamond stud earrings that I never wear since I prefer pearl dangles these days. This solves the problem!

Please keep us posted regarding your journey and what you ultimately end up choosing.

4 Ranch Girl -- I'd love to see pictures of your Tahitian drops on diamond hoops.

I see a whole world of possibilities opening up...

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
mynattk - thanks for referencing my thread! Now I don't have to do it!!

:D

centralsquare, something to think about - the fixings you will need for studs will be different to the ones for hoops. I'm not sure they are interchangeable.

Here are my pearl drop earrings without the studs.

You need a small fine loop to slide over the post and sit comfortably against your ear. These ones were made to fit a specific pair of earrings and it would be better to get a jeweller to make them to fit I would think. These weren't expensive given the end result. The cost of the work to drill and add the findings + the actual findings (18ct white gold) was $165 Australian, plus the cost of the pearls from Pearl Society.

You also need to decide what kind of pearls you want - freshwater? South Sea?

Here are a good quality pair of freshwaters from an Australian jeweller: http://www.janlogan.com/#/shop/pearls/earrings/290986 These would be fine with hoops but not for studs.

Here are some super cheapies - freshwater pearls still, but suitable for studs: http://www.heavenlynecklaces.com/p/7437783/detachable-pearls-with-diamond-studs.html

Hope this helps!

pearlnoearring.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Just to make sure I understand the difference between drop pearl findings for studs versus hoops -- if you want a drop to wear with a stud, the loop should have a certain length of metal before entering the half drilled pearl? In that case, I suppose there are choices? Like if you want the stud to move or even swing a bit, you use a tiny chain or a few links? If you want it stable, you use a rigid piece. But with a hoop you use a simple loop connected right into the half drilled pearl? (I have never thought about this before.)

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1369928495|3456332 said:
I have similar but not egg shaped south sea drops that I got from Pearl Society. odd that looking at the pictures I see "flaws" but IRL I don't see them and the luster is much better. they were not inexpensive but they were also not over priced.

Thanks! Did you match them on your own? I wouldn't know the first thing about doing that. I did a google search and found an ebay site for Pearl Society. Is that the right spot to look?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1369936166|3456407 said:
I have a pair of Tahiatian drops that Sarah gave me when I visited Kojima Pearl that I wear on diamond hoops. I had Jeremy put the exact setting that is shown on your picture. I never thought to try them on my diamond studs though.

These might be what you are looking for if not email her to look for what you want. Plus she is having a sale until the end of the month. The coupon code is on her facebook page for 15% off.

Thanks 4Ranch Girl! Did you have Kojima Pearl put the hoop in? Or do you have to do that separately? I'm a pearl novice (but eager to learn more!) so I'm not sure how to go about doing that.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
bsomlo|1370004846|3456799 said:
Just to make sure I understand the difference between drop pearl findings for studs versus hoops -- if you want a drop to wear with a stud, the loop should have a certain length of metal before entering the half drilled pearl? In that case, I suppose there are choices? Like if you want the stud to move or even swing a bit, you use a tiny chain or a few links? If you want it stable, you use a rigid piece. But with a hoop you use a simple loop connected right into the half drilled pearl? (I have never thought about this before.)
I think you got it. The bigger loops you need to use as a drop on an earring hoop would be too large to hang from a stud.

My jeweler uses a very simple length of metal to extend the pearl below the drop. The length should be adjusted to your ears. A loop at the bottom allows the pearl to swing a bit. I want to keep mine as light as possible, but the metal length could be dolled up with diamonds and made a lot fancier.

pearl7621.jpg

pearl7636.jpg

pearl7645.jpg

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
misskittycat|1369999418|3456765 said:
mynattk - thanks for referencing my thread! Now I don't have to do it!!

:D

centralsquare, something to think about - the fixings you will need for studs will be different to the ones for hoops. I'm not sure they are interchangeable.

Here are my pearl drop earrings without the studs.

You need a small fine loop to slide over the post and sit comfortably against your ear. These ones were made to fit a specific pair of earrings and it would be better to get a jeweller to make them to fit I would think. These weren't expensive given the end result. The cost of the work to drill and add the findings + the actual findings (18ct white gold) was $165 Australian, plus the cost of the pearls from Pearl Society.

You also need to decide what kind of pearls you want - freshwater? South Sea?

Here are a good quality pair of freshwaters from an Australian jeweller: http://www.janlogan.com/#/shop/pearls/earrings/290986 These would be fine with hoops but not for studs.

Here are some super cheapies - freshwater pearls still, but suitable for studs: http://www.heavenlynecklaces.com/p/7437783/detachable-pearls-with-diamond-studs.html

Hope this helps!

Oh, wow. Never thought about there being different loop sizes. I'd like Freshwater pearls, as I have a strand of those (7mm) and 7mm studs. Shoot, I was really hoping to have drops I could wear with a variety of stud / hoop options. I have some thinking to do!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
flygirl -- very helpful description and photos! Thanks a lot.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
centralsquare|1370013921|3456858 said:
4Ranch Girl|1369936166|3456407 said:

Thanks 4Ranch Girl! Did you have Kojima Pearl put the hoop in? Or do you have to do that separately? I'm a pearl novice (but eager to learn more!) so I'm not sure how to go about doing that.
When I visited Sarah at her studio she gifted me those 2 undrilled pearls. I was not sure what I wanted to do with them. Months later I was at Pearl Paradise for the RUCKUS and asked Jeremy to drill and add the eye pins to the pearls so I could wear them on my diamond hoops. You can buy the gold eye pins from PP or Rio Grande a jewelry supply internet seller.

I do not think my pearls could be worn with studs because of the hoop size.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
If anyone is looking for some south seas, these look pretty good, and at this price, worth a punt!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIGANTIC-14mm-WHITE-DROP-Australian-South-Sea-Loose-Pearl-Undrilled-A-PAIR/330931911544?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D261%26meid%3D8063675764225773092%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1088%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D251041992474%26

I have never purchased from the seller but they seem to have good feedback. The pearls have some small blemishes but they look pretty nice for the price.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Little late to this thread but wanted to show my drops. It's a little different look as there is more of drop with the chain. As others pointed out, the design for hoops may not work for studs because of the different ring sizes. Perhaps you can get a chain extender to convert from hoop to stud drops.

pearl_drop.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
baby monster -- I really like the look of your pearl hanging on a chain. I think that's what I might aim for in the future.

Who added the chain for you?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, All! I'm looking into the Kojima pair (Pearl Society was out of stock for the size I want). I've asked if they can fit the pin. I'm hoping I can give them the measurements for my diamond studs and that will suffice. Assuming it works out, I'm left with a desire still for hoops and pearl drops for those. Is it crazy to consider getting 2 pairs of drops?!

I don't yet have hoops (that's a separate project). Any recommendations in terms of size, shape, etc? I noticed that the original hoops that caught my eye were oblong...not perfectly round. Is that important when having pearl drops?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1370013666|3456854 said:
movie zombie|1369928495|3456332 said:

Thanks! Did you match them on your own? I wouldn't know the first thing about doing that. I did a google search and found an ebay site for Pearl Society. Is that the right spot to look?

no, I did not match them myself.....and, yes, you got the right spot.

mine are more "snowman" shaped and I think yours are more "tear drop".......really liking that shape!

you've gotten great info from the other posters. please remember to post pictures of what you do end up with! :appl:

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
centralsquare|1370141766|3457575 said:
Is it crazy to consider getting 2 pairs of drops?!

I don't yet have hoops (that's a separate project). Any recommendations in terms of size, shape, etc? I noticed that the original hoops that caught my eye were oblong...not perfectly round. Is that important when having pearl drops?

Ummmm, NO!! WE ARE THE PEARL PEOPLE!!! MOAR PEARLS!!!!

Besides, if that's the definition of crazy just call me certifiable. I am watching a pair of golden south sea drops and two pairs of Tahitians at the moment!

You could choose any shape you like for the hoops. The advantage of the oblongy ones is that they would look flatter from front on. But I wonder if round hoops would be more versatile? They might look better on their own? Only way to tell is to go and see in a few B&M retailers what you like.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bsomolo, one of the vendors on the other pearl forum did the drops for me.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
centralsquare -- have you made a decision regarding adding drops to your posts?

I just contacted the jeweler I use and he has drop pearls that I will look at late summer. I want to convert two pairs of studs. Unfortunately, they are two different color metals so I will need two different pairs of drops -- and since I don't think I'll like the mixed metal colors -- they won't be interchangeable. I'm considering the pearl-hanging-from-end-of-chain style so the metal will show.

I'm interested to know how your project is going.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Hi All! Just a quick update on my pearl drops. I reached out to a variety of vendors and am not sure how to proceed :confused: I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Here are my options:

Option A: Kojima Pearl: http://kojimapearl.myshopify.com/products/pair-of-satin-white-drop-pearls-1

PROS: Beautiful, good price
CONS: vendor cannot put the setting in the pearls so I'd have to do that separately and I have NO idea where to go and I'm not sure when I can get around do visiting places.

Option B: Pearl Paradise: http://www.pearlparadise.com/Loose-White-Freshwater-Drop-Pearl2219.aspx

PROS: very nice, price is good
CONS: out of stock, should have more after buying trip later this month

Option C: Whiteflash (where I will buy the hoop)

PROS: easy bc they already have the diamond hoops
CONS: Most expensive at ~$400, uncertain of WF expertise with pearls

Any thoughts or recommendations?

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
My 2 cents....I would get Saraha's drops because of the size. Then I would go to Rio Grande. com and get the eye pins and glue. Now if you want to wait to see what Jeremy brings home from Hong Kong that would be ok too and they have the eye pins and can do all there.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Sarah's pearls are pure perfection, but you couldn't go wrong with PP either and you would probably only have to wait a few weeks. I would definitely go with one of them though. Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results