shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl Drops

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arts and crafts aren't my strong points, so I'd go with a place that can deliver a finished product even if there's a bit of a wait.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
centralsquare: You are going through the same considerations I am!

I also thought about those lovely Kojima matched pearls and other loose pearl possibilities.

The jeweler I am going to use over the summer prefers I buy from his own stock of pearls. I don't blame him!

Pro's:

1) He does gorgeous work (he repaired a necklace with a missing peridot "petal" by matching the color, cutting/polishing the stone, checking all other pieces for looseness -- and the petal he replaced was clearly superior to the other peridot petals -- all for like 25 USD).

2) No postage cost -- I'll be in his town over the summer.

3) I'll be able to try on and change anything I'm dissatisfied with right then and there. I'll be able to choose the pearls in person!

4) The drops earrings I bought from him are one of my favorite pearl earrings and even my DH loves them. I wear them often -- so I do have positive real experience with his pearl drop earrings:

Con's:

1) There is no way he is going to have access to the quantity and quality that Jeremy will have access to next week, so I may end up "settling" on my pearl choice -- and I expect there won't be a large number to choose from (the jeweler loves pearls and I have many of his -- but his pool of pearls must be small). That is a problem! The whole point is to hang beautiful pearls from my diamond studs!

Buying from PP:

Pro's:

1) Huge selection.

2) Personalized, professional service.

Con's:

1) Can't see or touch the pearls in real life.

2) Postage costs if you have to return for adjustments.

3) Can't be there to make tiny adjustments that would make me more satisfied (ex. "one more/less link on the dangling chain, please")

Re-reading what I wrote and seeing those beehive pearl drops -- I think I'll spread the love and use my jeweler. I've asked him to send me pictures of loose pearls so I'll keep the forum posted.

centralsquare -- I follow your adventure with interest!

20130428_151711.jpg

beehive_earrings.jpg

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I'm still so indecisive! I'm leaning towards just getting the original drops I found at Annoushka. I had thought about waiting until Pearl Paradise updates it's inventory in July but I realize that they sell oval drops and I like the pear shaped version of the original. I just don't know the quality of the Annoushka pearls vs the vendors recommended here. Is it a bad idea to go with the originals?

I will also get round drops to go with my studs. My studs are 5.7mm. What size round pearl would look good. I was thinking of doubling the diameter..so around 11mm. In terms of the hook, I would think the length should be a little bigger than half the diameter. Is that good to go by, or does the jeweler need to have the stud in hand to fit properly??

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results