shape
carat
color
clarity

My grandmas pearl project

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
When I was about 16 I got my first strand of pearls. They were a graduated strand that belonged to my grandmother and they had a beautiful gold and sapphire clasp. I was very careful when I wore them because some were damaged, and they needed to be restrung. As I grew up I collected a few classic pearl necklaces and wore those because they weren't as delicate as my grandmas strand.

krispearl02.jpg
Old pic of my grandmas strand. I think the biggest was 7MM

Fast forward 10 years and I am months away from getting married. I wanted to wear them on my wedding day because since she couldn't be there it would be great to have something of hers there instead. However I was still wary to wear them, and they are so small and delicate they would get lost in my dress. After some consideration for what I wanted I decided to have Hisano revamp them, into something that I could wear on my wedding day, and also wear more often. Since I already have 4 white strands I asked her to do a few different designs. I loved Bsomio's Torsade, and I loved the idea of a scattered tin cup so she has been playing around with a few different options.

Hisano sent me 2 images for Torsade ideas, and they are lovely. One with a darker strand of multicolored Freshies, and one with a lighter strand.

07-14-14-a_.jpg
The lighter strand

07-14-14-b.jpg
The darker strand.

I think both choices are extremely beautiful, but I don't want to make up my mind until I see her choices of pearls for the scattered tin cup. But I am super excited for this project! and looking forward to being able to wear my grandmas pearls more often!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
crickett-- what a wonderful idea! I love your incorporation of your grandmother's pearls into a beautiful and meaningful piece you can wear on your wedding day. A piece you in turn can pass down through the generations. How cool that it will have your grandmother's pearls woven into it.

Please keep us posted and share the pictures as your project progresses. My torsade is a pleasure to wear. It's now light and lovely and I know you will love wearing yours!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful redo on grandma's strand. Either torsade perfect. Do you have a favorite?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a super idea and such a lovely way to keep your dear grandmother close to your heart on your wedding day. I am in love with this idea ckrickett and you are in such good hands. I love the idea of either torsade depending on which looks best on your skin tone or the tin cup necklace depending on which option looks best with your dress and neckline. Very much looking forward to seeing what you decide for the final piece. Best of luck and many congratulations for your upcoming wedding and marriage. :appl:

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
What an exciting project! Congrats on your upcoming wedding and what a lovely idea to wear your grandmother's pearls! Personally I love the lighter strand! Looking forward to seeing the tin-cup design.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
I love your idea and think your new & old pearls will make it a forever torsade. I will hold back my final vote until I see the tin cup but I am partial to the lighter one. What is the neckline of your wedding dress?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the kind words! :bigsmile:

I'm really excited to see what Hisano chooses for tin cup options!

as for my favorite I am kinda torn. I love the way grandma's pearls stand out in the lighter strand, but i love the how all the pearls play off of each other in the darker strand! It's a tie for me!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Just my 2 cents, the lighter strand looks more bridal to me and I prefer it to the darker strand (especially since your grandma's pearls stand out more). It's up to you though - both are so pretty!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great way to incorporate "something old"!

I prefer the look of the lighter strand myself as I am not a big fan of multi-colour strands.

DK :))

Kay

Ideal_Rock
What a lovely idea to incorporate your grandmother's pearls into your wedding jewelry! I like both torsade options. With the darker FW, all the strands seem to blend together more. The torsade with the lighter FW does seem more "bridal" (and more spring-like), but the pearls that catch my eye the most with that torsade are the lighter, brighter FW multis, rather than your grandmother's strand. I look forward to seeing the tin cup options too.

iguanatan

Rough_Rock
What a fantastic and beautifully sentimental project you have there.
I love the lighter strand, personally. I am excited to see the tin cup option too, so please post it when you get pics.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
So Hisano sent me some ideas for the tin cup, and I was mesmerized by the options. She thinks it wouldn't work well because my grandmas pearls would get lost. I agree with her 100%

But I LOVE the look and idea of the scattered tin cup so that idea is going to the second to the top of my wish list! Because I have to have it but I don't want to use my strand to it. So I will get this in the future and then I 'll have my beautiful torsade with my grandmas pearls and a killer tin cup! :dance: :naughty: :naughty:

temp_photos-jul_17_2014.jpg
Those colors together are so pretty!!! :wall: :-o :rolleyes:

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Now I just have to decide between the lighter one and the darker. ::)

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
A memorable torsade and a killer tin cup - congratulations! Now for the tough choice... Good luck!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
wonderful project! :appl: :love:
you can't go wrong with either the dark or light.
can't wait to see a neck shot with whichever you decide!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an interesting project, ckrickett. I vote for lighter strand. It seems more antique-lace to me.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I am completely torn really. I showed my FI and he looked at me like I was bonkers "But they are both so different" he gave me the blankest look :rolleyes:

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Your grandmother was a lucky lady to have such a devoted grandaughter :) Both torsades are lovely; I have a preference for the lighter one. If you are truly undecided, perhaps the choice might be made by your dress and accessories? Best of luck; can't wait to see the conclusion of your project.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
ckrickett|1405721457|3716161 said:
I am completely torn really. I showed my FI and he looked at me like I was bonkers "But they are both so different" he gave me the blankest look :rolleyes:

Sounds like when I asked DH to help me choose between 4 shades of white paint for our walls. "But they are all white." :???:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
most men cannot differentiate color as well as women....which means they are not going to see subtle differences either.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I am going to see if there is anyway I can get a neck shot or anything that can help me see what colors would look against skin. I'm fairly pale so I don;t want the necklace to get lost in my pasty skin.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I am also getting some prices on the tin cup (minus my own pearls) because I just adore it. However I don;t really have a big budget for it now (although in the future yes) BUT I am ok with not spending more on it then I need too.

ANYWAYS! I am getting 14k gold, sterling and vermeil prices. But I don;t know much on the quality of vermeil over gold filled. Thoughts?

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I too am a fan of the lighter one ... what is your dress like? I'd go with the 14kt gold .. it's your wedding necklace..go for the gold ..they are really lovely necklaces and what a wonderful way to have your grandmother be part of your special day! :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ckrickett|1405992485|3717982 said:
I am also getting some prices on the tin cup (minus my own pearls) because I just adore it. However I don;t really have a big budget for it now (although in the future yes) BUT I am ok with not spending more on it then I need too.

ANYWAYS! I am getting 14k gold, sterling and vermeil prices. But I don;t know much on the quality of vermeil over gold filled. Thoughts?

My thoughts: Gold filled will last longer than vermeil. In the USA gold-filled jewelry must contain no less than 1/20 its weight in gold.

Vermeil is better than gold plated though it will tarnish (darken) over time because its base is sterling silver.

http://www.ehow.com/about_4710262_what-gold-vermeil.html

http://www.ehow.com/facts_6017694_difference-between-gold_filled-gold_plated_.html

Personally I don't care for either vermeil or gold filled and if I could not afford 14K gold I would opt for sterling silver over these other options but if you had to choose one or the other I would recommend gold filled over vermeil.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
missy|1406028636|3718154 said:
ckrickett|1405992485|3717982 said:

My thoughts: Gold filled will last longer than vermeil. In the USA gold-filled jewelry must contain no less than 1/20 its weight in gold.

Vermeil is better than gold plated though it will tarnish (darken) over time because its base is sterling silver.

http://www.ehow.com/about_4710262_what-gold-vermeil.html

http://www.ehow.com/facts_6017694_difference-between-gold_filled-gold_plated_.html

Personally I don't care for either vermeil or gold filled and if I could not afford 14K gold I would opt for sterling silver over these other options but if you had to choose one or the other I would recommend gold filled over vermeil.

I actually don't own any gold plated, filled, rolled, vermeil pieces because I have never been a fan. Usually its silver, gold or platinum. BUT I am getting the tornado and I fell in love with the tin cup too, so I am pricing all options to see if I can swing both right now... or wait awhile and get it in gold if it's higher then I can pay right now.

A friend of mine has a beautiful vermeil ring, so I was inquiring about that. still I;d rather do like you said and get silver or gold.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
katbran|1406018976|3718131 said:
I too am a fan of the lighter one ... what is your dress like? I'd go with the 14kt gold .. it's your wedding necklace..go for the gold ..they are really lovely necklaces and what a wonderful way to have your grandmother be part of your special day! :appl:

my dress, I can;t even really say. I gave some options to the people who are making it and I won't even really know what it looks like until its done! (its almost entirely custom) BUT if will have silver and white embroidery with some gold touches.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I'm way too much of a control freak to let the dress designer have that much leeway. You must be very zen.

Do you at least have fabric swatches for the dress? Maybe you could mail one to Hisano to try next to the torsade options to see which works better with the color of the dress.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Ok guys what are your thoughts. Hisano sent me a few neck shots in natural light to help me decide. :dance:

Lighter Torsade
kristin-light.jpg

Darker Torsade
kristin-dark.jpg

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
The strands are my Grandmas akoyas
2 strands of akoya keshis
and 1 strand of 6.5mm-7mm freshwater multis (one darker strand one slightly lighter strand)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results