shape
carat
color
clarity

"Honey, you need a necklace to go with those earrings."

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Yes, my husband really said this to me yesterday :o .

He got me a pair of white pearl earrings for my wedding night. Yes, these are the earrings from Tiffany's that inspired me to looks up Tiffany's treatments. They are white round pearls with a rose overtone, very pretty, but pretty basic. He said he wanted to get me the matching necklace, but it was $5000. He wanted to know if there was a better place.

So ladies, if you had an offer for someone to buy you a white pearl necklace with rose overtones, probably in the $2000-3000 range

1) what size would you get?
2) what kind of pears would you get?
3) anything else?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
So to be more specific, here are the strands I am considering.

These are supposed to be untreated pearls. I am not sure how I would verify that, is treatment on pears be detected?
http://www.pearlparadise.com/8085-mm-AAA-Natural-White-Akoya-Pearl-Necklace3142.aspx

Here are some that are probably bleached, a little bit of a lower price
http://www.pearlparadise.com/8085-mm-White-Akoya-Pearl-Necklace99.aspx

And some from the "freshadmama" collection
http://www.pearlparadise.com/85-90-mm-White-Freshadama-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace751.aspx

Although I know about the different types I pearls, I am still struggling with what size would be best, AA quality vs AAA quality, among the other finer points.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, I didn't even see that one. I will show it to him when he gets back from his trip.

The earrings are not very big, probably 7mm, but I would not mind a slightly larger necklace :naughty: . I want it to be big enough to have presence, but not so big it takes over the entire outfit.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with bean. I had a hanadama natural white strand made for my wedding this spring and I adore them! I was inspired by a strand on Mikimoto pearls - but mine are better :apple: Have fun choosing!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium

iLander

Ideal_Rock
If it were me, I would go with something a bit more colorful and unusual:

http://shop.kojimapearl.com/products/endless-japan-kasumi-necklace

All natural colors, no dyeing, and 36 inches of 10-12 mm WOW! :love:

Kasumi pearls are the rarest freshwater pearls in the world, from only one lake in Japan, and as far as I can tell only available from one supplier. From the website: "Since the early 1990s, a small handful of pearl farmers, without employees, have produced very small quantities of in-body bead nucleated freshwater pearls." I called around and nobody else can get these. I suspect what little is harvested sells out quickly in Japan.

I think there are literally 3 guys harvesting these and the colors are all natural. They are more lumpy than akoyas, but IMHO they are rare and beautiful and this strand is truly unique. Can't find these at Tiffany!

Still, if it were me, I would probably ask the vendor to make 2 necklaces out of the strand, for more versatility. And I would order it, just to see, because I can always return it if it doesn't thrill me.

That's what I would do with a bucket of play money :D

kdn950-450_0_large.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
BTW: More details on Kojima Pearl under the OMG Tahitians thread. Apparently Cushioncutnut has ordered a few items from her.

HEY! :wavey: Since this is a pearl forum should we call them "strands" instead of "threads"? :lol:

I do love the colorful necklace, but if someone wants a more classic piece I still recommend the hanadama strand. The color strand above looks like it has a lot of blemishes where the hanadama should have a mirror finish :wacko:

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
bright&shiny - thanks, I will be showing him those for sure when he gets back from his business trip

iLander - Wow those are beautiful, I am not into the large strands, but if they could be broken up, the color is amazing. I like the different pearls myself. My FI is more of a classic guy. I have to admit, the white pearl with the rose overtones look way better on my skin than I ever thought they would. But there is room for more than one strand right?

cushioncutnut - thanks. I actually love Tahitians, I am just not sure they look as good on me as the white pearls, but I have never tried a nice pair on, so it is really hard to say.

bean - I think the handama is still on the top of the list, he said he wanted to buy me pearls that matched my earrings, and as much fun as the other ones are, they are very different.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander said:
BTW: More details on Kojima Pearl under the OMG Tahitians thread. Apparently Cushioncutnut has ordered a few items from her.

HEY! :wavey: Since this is a pearl forum should we call them "strands" instead of "threads"? :lol:

:lol: Good idea! I got my 3rd item from Sarah at Kojima today! She ships quickly and is easy to work with. Those strands are gorgeous iLander. I will post my new earrings in another thread.

Have you gotten any closer to making a decision Ltfirecracker??

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I totally forgot to show my husband the strands :shock: . My wedding photos came in and I got sidetracked.

I will e-mail him the links this week and see what kind of response I get.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results