shape
carat
color
clarity

7-7.5 or 7.5-8 - Advice for the BEST???

TheGreatTwizz

Shiny_Rock
I've posted previously about how much PS helped with my engagement ring purchase, and the knowledge I gleaned from that will last me a lifetime.

Now its time for a pearl necklace. This being a girl's first pearls, I'm set on a 16" akoya choker, and simply am looking for direction as to size (7-7.5, or 7.5-8), and where, aside from mikimoto, can I find the absolute BEST quality, AAA necklace? This is to be an heirloom piece for her, and her family certainly knows the difference. Is PP the end all be all?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I assume these are for your wife, so I'll go with that, although when you said "a girl's first pearls" I wondered if you were older and she had a daughter who the pearls were for. I'd go with the larger ones for an heirloom piece if it was do-able, ladies tend to like larger pearls as they age. Personally, I find 7.0 a bit small. But then 7.5 also costs almost twice as much, and I believe 7.0 is considered average, not small, so there's not a thing wrong with them, either.

About "the best," you can get akoya pearls that are certified "hanadama" and remove all doubt (at additional cost, of course). Or you go with a pearl company that has an excellent reputation and trust them on the quality.

I don't know about anyone being "the be all and end all" but personally I do trust PP (I don't work for them or anything and am not an expert, just another consumer).

Given what you've laid out here, and assuming budget allows, my choice would be 7.5-8.0 AAA akoyas, from a seller with a good reputation. If you call PP or use the chat function on their site (and probably other sites too) they can email you pics for comparison. They also have much more than what's listed on the site. But if you get something else, be sure to check first as custom orders may not be returnable.

Another consideration is overtone, silver, rose, or ivory. Hope this helps and good luck with it!

7.0-7.5mm akoya strand AAA- $642

7.5-8.0 akoya AAA- $1,254

7.0-7.5 hanadama- $1,574- 18 inch (16 inch not listed)

7.5-8.0 hanadama- $2,321 -18 inch (16 inch not listed)

TheGreatTwizz

Shiny_Rock
Thank you both for the quick responses.

I've been in contact with Jeremy from PP via the PG forum, and he has been immensely helpful. Based on what I've found it seems that PP is the best bet for true top quality, and he assures me that his Hanadama compares to Mikimoto AAA; fortunately for me, being in Philadelphia, I should have the opportunity to compare in person.

Fair assumption on who this is for, but, sadly, my engagement went south, so no, they aren't for my wife. Fortunately enough, I did a spectacular job on my buy on the stone from James Allen, and was unable to unload the ring as a more than acceptable loss (even more so considering I was in a hurry to get it out of my life). I'm 29; this necklace is for my new love interest, who has just started her career in the family business as an attorney, and given her background, frankly, I'm surprised she doesn't have a set of pearls, but alas, good thing I'm around :D

Quality is my number one concern here, and with budget not being an issue (at least a substantial enough issue), I have considered Mikis, but they just don't seem to represent value based on the things I've ready about PPs quality, my conversations with Jeremy, and what I've seen in pictures. The absolute finest grade, AAA/Hanadama (a term which seems to be up for much dispute) pearls are that for which I'm looking to buy. That said, I find 16" to be the most appropriate length for a first set, and something she can wear regularly to work. Given the 30%+ premium to go to 7.5-8 versus the 7-7.5, that he doesn't have the 7.5-8 in stock, and that I would need somewhere to upgrade down the road should this work out, I'm going to stick with the smaller set. I was chastised by friends, family, and even my jeweler for the size of the engagement ring (2.43ct; I posted about it thoroughly here), so I'm learning my lesson to start smaller.

Based on my preference for more silver versus rose (ivory isn't a consideration, and doesn't seem to be the color of the 'best'), I'm going to stick with PPs natural white Hanadamas. Jeremy offered to size it down to 16" (they cert the 18" as it is the most popular, and will simply remove a couple to shorten it), and I think she'll have a very Merry Christmakuh (her term, not mine).

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Sir, Please consider buying the whole strand and keeping the additional pearls if she wants the length later in life. You will be doing her a favor, as she grow older or styles change she has to option for a 18 inch strand.

I have seen the natural hanadama strands at PP and you selected a wonderful gift.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
That sounds great. I was surprised at such a jump in price for just a half millimeter. I have a pair of 7.0-7.5 mm hanadama earrings and they really are gorgeous. If you get a chance, let us know how it goes. :)

TheGreatTwizz

Shiny_Rock
Tremendous idea I had never considered.

Is having pearls added to, or removed, from a strand a cumbersome process that can damage the pearls, or is it akin to taking links out of a watch?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
They need to be restrung periodically anyway, so you'd probably just add some then. But if they're the ones that came with the strand originally, I guess they'd be a perfect match. Especially with natural white hanadamas, they may be hard to find later on.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
No, restringing doesn't damage pearls. What would even be better? Have Jeremy make the extra pearls into an extender. You use the same clasp on the necklace and the extender. The Male / Female ends work on both. She could add them at any time to lengthen the strand, and it hides at the back of the neck under your suit collar.

Those are such special pearls, finding more later will be impossible.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
They will be lovely! Please share a neckshot after the holidays!

TheGreatTwizz

Shiny_Rock
Excellent idea on the extender. I'll have to visit that with Jeremy. Or just keep it to 18", give it to her, see how it looks, and then worry about if we're going to shorten it or not.

Again, thank you both for the input. I'll do my best to get some pictures up; I'll have to read through the 'how to photograph pearls' thread on PG.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Look forward to seeing the photos. I am a PG member also. Different nic though.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
The short form on photographing pearls: Natural daylight, on a white background.

18 inch seems to me more a standard, usual size than 16 inch. Just my opinion, though.

TheGreatTwizz

Shiny_Rock
As I don't expect to complete the purchase with Jeremy until Monday (or when he checks his inbox on PG), I was browsing the forum here for some eye candy, when I came across the 'Battle of the Pearls' thread. ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-battle-of-the-pearls.178027/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-battle-of-the-pearls.178027/[/URL])

Knowing the answer was down below, I looked HARD at this picture to see if I could pick a favorite of the bunch. The second strand in (from the inside) was my personal favorite, as I don't like pinked pearls, and they seemed to have an outstanding luster.

Imagine how great I feel to learn they are untreated, natural white Hanadamas. I'm getting more and more excited about this. I know many guys dread buying jewelry, but I find it to be one of the more fun things we get to do for the women in our lives.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Ah, ha. I am glad you saw the photo I posted. 4 ranch girl and I asked if we could have some photos of the nicest of "The Vault" Plus the Persian gulf pearls our ruckus friend was wearing. Now we know where the natural hanadamas are going.... :appl:

TheGreatTwizz

Shiny_Rock
I'm thankful I found that thread, as it reinforces that I'm getting something so nice. Order is processed and on Jeremy's desk. I'll do my best to get some eyecandy shots up here, and hopefully a neck shot when she gets it, which could be as soon as next week.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results