shape
carat
color
clarity

3k budget for pearl strand. What would you do?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Hello everyone.

So for Christmas, my wonderful husband gave me 3k for a strand of pears. We went and tried on a bunch of Mikimoto's today and found that the white pearls with pink overtones looked best on me. I tried on a 7.5 mm strand and those looked OK. I also tried on South Sea pearls which were too big for me, so I decided to go slightly larger than 7.5 mm, as I know I will get used to the smaller size maybe a little too quickly ;-). While I have figured that out, I am lost on everything else. I kind of liked the 32 inch opera length as they are more versatile, but my husband thought they were too trendy. The single strand looked really good on me, but I am having trouble deciding on what I would wear them with. They only at 16 inch length at the store, which looked good on me, but I am 5'9 and am wondering if the 18 inch length would be better.

So I have a bunch of questions. Is it worth paying for pearls that are not bleached or dyed such as these http://www.pearlparadise.com/8085-mm-Natural-White-Hanadama-Akoya-Pearl-Necklace3124.aspx?

Is there a difference between Hanadama and AAA pearls? I am reading lots of conflicting articles on which is better. I could get a strand of AAA's from PP fro about the same price as the Hanadamas.

With all the newer pearls out there (specifically Freshadama?) is buying a more expensive strand of pearls even worth it?

As you can see, I don't even know were to start. Any help I can get would be great.

Thanks in advance.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
I really know nothing about Akoya pearls, and I don't have a budget like yours (nor will I likely ever have), but if I had your budget, for a beautiful strand of Akoyas, I think I like the idea of the natural pearls.

I am tall, like you, and I do think a size slightly larger than 7-7.5 would look better, and also a bit longer. I'd personally go with 20" which always looks right on me.

Good luck, and let us know how you progress, and we would love to see pictures too :)

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Reading many articles is a very good thing to do. There is another forum go there read under Akoya this thread: Hanadama pearls from Pearl Paradise.com about the fifth one down the list.

You can see side by side comparison pictures of different top grade akoyas. I have personally seen the mentioned strand on the author of that thread, she was speaking at a lecture under a spot light. She looked like she was wearing moonbeams around her neck. The pearls mentioned in that thread I viewed before and after they were sent off to be graded in Japan. I am not a lover of akoyas now because I like larger south sea pearls but after seeing them in person there is nothing that compares with the luster of top grade akoyas.

I think only teenagers look good in 16 inch pearls tight around their neck. I would choose the 18 inch or longer. I got my first strand of akoyas when I was 30 which I wore almost daily for 15 years. 9 to 9.5 mm I had them lengthed to 22 inches. I loved the luxury of being able to look down and see them.

As to your question regarding akoya vs freshadama I think it boils down to personal preferance and $'s available. There is a thread farther down on that same site where someone wore her freshadama strand to a BM and was able to try on a strand of top Mikis and said they could not tell the difference.

You are a very lucky woman to have the opportunity to make this decession. Happy pearl hunting. Let us know what you choose.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Pearl Paradise has a excellent photographer. Why not ask them to set a strand of their Hanadama's and Freshadama's in the lightbox together so you can see the difference for yourself. I looked at them when I was there last July. There was a huge difference when viewing them in person side by side. Not the quality, but the look of the orient of the pearls.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
My husband got me an 18 inch, 6.5-7 mm strand of mikimoto akoyas for our 5th anniversary/new baby present. This was a present completely picked out by him, so sweet and thoughtful. However, I found this forum and "the other forum" after that purchase and I am pretty sure he paid a lot for the mikimoto name and box and he could have gotten better quality and larger pearls for the same price elsewhere. If I had to do it over again and I were involved in the decision, I think I would have liked to order a strand from pearl paradise or another vendor and compare them to mikimoto face to face before deciding. I think, looking at prices, that I could have gotten a hanadama akoya strand from pearl paradise in a large mm size for about the same price as my A+ mikimoto strand :(sad

I have two strands of freshwater pearls-- one is a strand of gem quality drop-shape metallics from pearl paradise and the other is a longer rice pearl strand from kojima. Neither of these are the true round freshwaters so perhaps I am speaking out of turn, but there is something about the weight of akoyas and how they warm up on the skin that I don't experience with the freshwaters. The freshwaters seem to feel "colder" on my neck, I am more aware that I am wearing them all day. This may have to do with the nacre thickness of freshies versus akoyas. I really like my freshies for the incredible color they offer, more than their comparability to akoyas, but that is me.

eloisegirl

Shiny_Rock
I concur with the PP Hanadama strand. Always buy the very best you can afford, you'll never regret it. Life is too short to wear pearls you don't adore!

If you aren't sure about the strand, you can always buy the earrings first. I bought blue Akoyas and love them, and now it's just a matter of saving for the strand.

Aw, who am I kidding? I have a giant list of To Buy pearls!! I am pretty sure I am not alone in this! ;-)

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
The difference between the two is that freshies are solid nacre and akoya have been seeded with a shell bead. Akoyas only have a thin nacre covering around the shell bead.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
4Ranch Girl|1325318103|3092139 said:
Reading many articles is a very good thing to do. There is another forum go there read under Akoya this thread: Hanadama pearls from Pearl Paradise.com about the fifth one down the list.

You can see side by side comparison pictures of different top grade akoyas. I have personally seen the mentioned strand on the author of that thread, she was speaking at a lecture under a spot light. She looked like she was wearing moonbeams around her neck. The pearls mentioned in that thread I viewed before and after they were sent off to be graded in Japan. I am not a lover of akoyas now because I like larger south sea pearls but after seeing them in person there is nothing that compares with the luster of top grade akoyas.

I think only teenagers look good in 16 inch pearls tight around their neck. I would choose the 18 inch or longer. I got my first strand of akoyas when I was 30 which I wore almost daily for 15 years. 9 to 9.5 mm I had them lengthed to 22 inches. I loved the luxury of being able to look down and see them.

As to your question regarding akoya vs freshadama I think it boils down to personal preferance and $'s available. There is a thread farther down on that same site where someone wore her freshadama strand to a BM and was able to try on a strand of top Mikis and said they could not tell the difference.

You are a very lucky woman to have the opportunity to make this decession. Happy pearl hunting. Let us know what you choose.

HI:

This. Especially on the length. Truly elegant. Get the longest strand within your budget--you can always buy a "clasp" that shortens (or have them strung with that option close to the clasp) you but you cannot "add" length. Sorry your husband doesn't like the longer strand but can you beg to differ with him on this? (in the nicest way??) :bigsmile:

Oh happy choice!

cheers--Sharon

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your replies. I am traveling back to Texas today, and have not had too much time to do the reading I need to do.

portaor - thanks for your opinions. I am tall, but have a thin neck. I typically do 18 inch chains, but will consider 20 inch as well

ranch girl - you have a lot of helpful information, thank you so much for taking the time to post. I am going to look at the articles you referenced, and will talk to the folks at PP when I get closer to decision time. I used them for bridesmaids gifts a year back, and had a great experience with them.

NacreLover - I would love to make a trip to PP! It would be challenging for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bean - thanks for the suggestion, that strand is on my list of possibilities.

Erini - Thanks for you experiences on both with the mikimotos and with the freshwater pearls. I am sure (based on price) the pearls I tried on were A's and they were lovely. My husband said he would have done the same thing yours did, except he knows I am better at jewelry shopping than he is. Your descriptions of the freshwater vs akoyas is very helpful.

eloisegirl - I hear you. I am thinking about doing a nice strand, and than having a bunch of freshwaters as "fun strands" that maybe are not so classic. We will see.

caunk-gal - I was not aware you could get a clasp that allows the pearls to be shortened. Thanks!

I will be doing more research this week with all the guidance I received. I will let you know how things evolve.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Canuk gal. Those are really helpful.

Me and my husband have had a long talk. He really wants me to get the nicest pearls I we can afford which are the ones I posted. They only come in 18 inch strands. You can have them shortened to 16 inches, but cannot add length. The 16 inch strand hit my collar bone, it was far from "chocker" style on me, although I am tall I have a skinny neck. So I think the 18 inch should be more than enough for me.

After having a long discussion, the end result is that we are likely going to get more than one strand of pearls, just not all at once. When he gave me the budget, he was thinking of a classic set that could be pulled out for special occasions and important professional functions such as interviews, lectures. While that sounds wonderful to me, I would also like something that I could wear on the weekend without looking too "conservative." I know people might argue with me on that one, but there are times I would like to do something more than just the basic strand.

So for now we are investing in a nice strand, and than soon I will probably buy myself a longer strand of freshwaters.

I still have to contact PP, and want to get some more pics of the strand I am interested in. I will keep you guys updated.

ETA: What clasp would you get with PP? I like white metal.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I have the matte clasp in WG on my blue baroques and the yellow gold laser-etched on my lavender freshwaters. I originally had the shiny yg on my freshwaters and there was a stringing issue that I had repaired and I traded for the laser etched at that time. Personally I was less of a fan of the shiny clap, but they all look nice...

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Are you in a hurry to get this necklace for a special event? If not, I would hedge my bets and wait to see if PP has a Valentine's day sale. Even if it is 10%, the savings might be enough to fund your casual strand of freshwaters with the savings :naughty:

Beautiful strand BTW!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Matte clasp of either color.

cheers--Sharon

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info on the clasps. I am going to go with the white gold matte clasp.

How soon before Valentine's day do they do the promotion? I am willing to wait, as the the most it would only be a month or so.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I seem to remember specials for valentines day and code for a percentage off at Mother's day and Black Friday.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Well guys I made a decision. I used the valentines coupon hand was able to get 2 strands. :bigsmile:

I got the 8-8.5 mm natural white hanadmas as well as a pair of baroque tahitians!

Here is what I got

ltlwhitepearls.gif

ltsbroques.gif

Ltlbroque2.gif

ltlbroque3.gif

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting the photos of your new pearls. They are lovely. Where did you get them ?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Bean: well, I am not sure about 100, but I will post pics.

I paid for 2 days shipping so that I can see them this week. :naughty: I got spoiled with receiving my diamond and gemstones purchases in 1-3 days. I could not wait 7-10 business days (which is what free shipping was offered for) to see them.

NacreLover - no problem, I got them at PP.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I thought so. What size Tahitians did you choose. You can't tell on a neckform. The colors are wonderful.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover|1328472210|3119650 said:
I thought so. What size Tahitians did you choose. You can't tell on a neckform. The colors are wonderful.

Thanks. They are 8.8 x11.8 mm. They are actually a bit larger than I wanted. I really wanted to keep then <11mm, but I really liked the shape and color on these, and the smaller ones did not have a shape and color I am interested in. I was actually torn between getting the akoya strand and a round set of tahitians as my gift (I did not bug you guys with the indecision I went though). But of course, I liked the AAA tahitians, which are out of my budget. I decided to get the white akoyas now and a strand of baroques to "test drive" tahitians. If I like them, I will save for a round strand in the future.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LtlFirecracker|1328471052|3119633 said:
Bean: well, I am not sure about 100, but I will post pics.

I paid for 2 days shipping so that I can see them this week. :naughty: I got spoiled with receiving my diamond and gemstones purchases in 1-3 days. I could not wait 7-10 business days (which is what free shipping was offered for) to see them.

NacreLover - no problem, I got them at PP.

OK 95 then :bigsmile: ;)) . Look forward to seeing your choices!

cheeers--Sharon

Shadowplay

Shiny_Rock
Great choice! Do you mind sharing what valentines promotion you used? I'm thinking about getting a set of hanadamas for my girlfriend and could definitely use any discount available!

Shadowplay|1328541637|3120094 said:
Great choice! Do you mind sharing what valentines promotion you used? I'm thinking about getting a set of hanadamas for my girlfriend and could definitely use any discount available!

If you call PP I'm sure they can give you the code.
I don't think we can post them here.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Bella_mezzo and caunk_gal - I promise pics, and while I may not provide >90, I will use my nice camera ;-).

Shawdowplay - I cannot post the code on this forum. But I can tell you that it is still in effect, so I would call PP.

So, I got an interesting phone call today. The SA told me they had one strand with "light" pink overtones but that it was still "very while." She kind of sounded nervous telling me and asked me what I wanted to do. I told her there was not much I could do without seeing them, and she said they were being strung and that they would ship them. So I guess we will see how they look?

Shadowplay

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice guys... I called and they were very helpful. They're going to email me a few photos! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results