shape
carat
color
clarity

We bought a diamond...

audball

Ideal_Rock
I don't know how many of you are still around from last year...but I originally joined the LIW list in October of 2008. In May last year, I asked to be removed from this list as my now ExBF and I finally concluded in quite a messy split that we were not right for each other after nearly 6 years of dating.

Part of what concluded our split was meeting someone who could not have been a better fit for what I want in a partner in life. He is everything I ever hoped and dreamed for and I never imagined that a happiness like this even existed. We've been officially dating since July 2011 and are both 25. After years and years of fighting about every.little.thing with S, it is so incredibly refreshing at how EASY it is to be with A.

We are in no rush to move things along, but a unique opportunity presented itself and we decided to go for it. We have talked about marriage and what we want in the future and are very much on the same page about every little detail. We both agree that we want to live together for awhile before moving towards engagement. Our current leases do not end until the end of the summer at which point we plan to officially move in together. We also will both (finally) be done with our last degrees next year (him Dec 2012, me May 2013). We are talking Summer-Fall of 2013 as our timeline for engagement if everything continues to progress in the way that it has unfolded in the time we've been together already.

I don't know how many of you venture to the PS Preloved Jewels section of the forum, but I was following the story of vintagelover who was searching for an antique wedding set for $300 or less for her father's intended. The total generosity of PS ended up providing them a set and it was quite a lovely story. Within the thread, the wonderful and amazing Gypsy posted a suggestion as a set. I absolutely adored this little set and showed it to A. It was so inexpensive and I just thought it would be a great way to get a starter set and inexpensively. We emailed the seller back and forth for a few days and just as we got all of our questions answered about the set, we were ready to Buy and it was sold literally 1 minute before we logged on.

I was crushed. I can't even explain why I was so crushed but I totally was despite the fact that engagement is not in the immediate future by any means. With A's blessing, I contacted Gypsy and she went to work helping me find something else we would love. We ended up spending more than planned, but are so happy with our purchase. We more/less just achieved my dream ring for 1/3 the budget I thought it would cost. The listing was a complete risk but I'm so glad we took it. It was advertised as a.80ct H VVS2 OEC. It was set in (what I find to be) an unattractive setting but I was mesmerized by the stone. The description also indicated that the spread of the stone was only 4-5mm. Gypsy knew something was off and that the diamond was EITHER .80ct and 6mm OR .30-.50ct and the advertised 4-5mm. We decided to take the risk (despite no return policy!) and knew we could fall back on ebay protection if it was drastically not what was advertised.

The ring arrived last Thursday and it's SOOO amazing. The diamond is like nothing I have ever seen. By our digital calipers at home, it measures 5.8mm across and likely will weigh between .70-.75 when our appraisal is complete.

I had been emailing some vendors to get quotes on a setting since we planned on waiting until next year to set it. We thought it would be good to get a ballpark on how much we'd need for the setting. Well, at Gypsy's suggestion we are working with a PS vendor who is bending over backwards to be helpful! Direct quote -- "they take care of their Pricescopers". They are taking a bunch of old gold in trade towards the setting and the price quoted to me as a PSer was significantly below retail. I was shocked.

We could not be happier. Now the hard part is going to be leaving it sit all pretty and perfect for the next year+....but we are so thrilled with the deal we just got that we know it was absolutely worth making the purchase now.

Here is a link to a little video I took of the stone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWvImfa7csU

And I have attached the large photo (of the one in my avatar) for you all!
(Reminder: this is not the forever setting...but the one it came with...)

I haven't decided when I'd like to rejoin the list...but I think closer to the summer after we're officially living together and the ring is complete will be a good time. That will give me something else to focus on besides the ring sitting around the apartment!

Audball OEC Love.JPG

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock
Yaaaay!!! Congrats Audball! I read your story when I first joined PS and my heart ached for you because of what happened but look! you are happy and in a healthy and mature relationship and have a gorgeous diamond. So happy for you :D

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How awesome audball, I am so thrilled for you!! What a wonderful time for you to enjoy, and the the diamond is spectacular!!! :love:

MisakiChan

Rough_Rock
Wow, the diamond is gorgeous! Sounds like an amazing love story you've got going on! Good luck! :razz:

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
OMG, this is so awesome! And the diamond is nice, too. :naughty: :love: Sooo glad you found something you love, and that your SO was okay with going for it. FWIW, I bought my wedding dress with DH's okay, and even before DH bought my ring, which some people thought was bad luck, but I thought it was a good omen for things to come. :lol:

audball

Ideal_Rock
RebeccaMUA|1328755929|3122146 said:
Yaaaay!!! Congrats Audball! I read your story when I first joined PS and my heart ached for you because of what happened but look! you are happy and in a healthy and mature relationship and have a gorgeous diamond. So happy for you :D
Thanks Rebecca! It feels so surreal.

audball

Ideal_Rock
DandiAndi|1328791737|3122304 said:
How awesome audball, I am so thrilled for you!! What a wonderful time for you to enjoy, and the the diamond is spectacular!!! :love:
Thanks DandiAndi! We are quite enamored with our little sparkly too!

audball

Ideal_Rock
MisakiChan|1328794735|3122317 said:
Wow, the diamond is gorgeous! Sounds like an amazing love story you've got going on! Good luck! :razz:
Thanks MisakiChan! We are incredibly happy, incredibly blessed, and incredibly thankful to have each other.

audball

Ideal_Rock
rubybeth|1328795436|3122322 said:
OMG, this is so awesome! And the diamond is nice, too. :naughty: :love: Sooo glad you found something you love, and that your SO was okay with going for it. FWIW, I bought my wedding dress with DH's okay, and even before DH bought my ring, which some people thought was bad luck, but I thought it was a good omen for things to come. :lol:
I remember reading about that, I think! Sometimes you just can't turn down the opportunity! I like your way of thinking ;-)

audball

Ideal_Rock
Andrew has been super adorable about the whole thing too. If I have it out and am playing with it in the light he'll be all, "Watch out! You're blinding me with all the SPARKLE!" Haha. He's too cute. :love:

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
I want video of that diamond! It looks like its a great size and very well cut. Congrats!

audball

Ideal_Rock
maebelle|1328818321|3122550 said:
I want video of that diamond! It looks like its a great size and very well cut. Congrats!
Thanks maebelle! I linked a youtube video of it above :)

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats Audball! I remember your thread and your story and I'm so happy to hear that you're with the right person now!

I had that ring in my Watch list for EVER and even messaged the seller multiple times and had a PS thread about it. It made no sense to be only 4mm. Then I totally fell in love with pears, so my non-purchase is definitely your gain! Enjoy it and your blossoming and wonderful relationship! :))

audball

Ideal_Rock
wakingdreams53|1328840830|3122864 said:
Congrats Audball! I remember your thread and your story and I'm so happy to hear that you're with the right person now!

I had that ring in my Watch list for EVER and even messaged the seller multiple times and had a PS thread about it. It made no sense to be only 4mm. Then I totally fell in love with pears, so my non-purchase is definitely your gain! Enjoy it and your blossoming and wonderful relationship! :))
Thanks!!

I can't believe you had it in your list! That's crazy...small (PS) world!

I have to say, I'm extremely glad you didn't buy it! We are SOOOOO pleased with the purchase. Can you believe the dea!? Similar stones on OWD that are probably not cut half as nicely are retailing for $3-4,000 for it's color and clarity ratings in this ~3/4 carat size.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: :love: omg the facet pattern is tdf! it's very beautiful, audball! congratulations :appl: :appl:

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1329149569|3125323 said:
:love: :love: omg the facet pattern is tdf! it's very beautiful, audball! congratulations :appl: :appl:
Thank you madelise! We are sooo happy with it.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I am so thrilled for you! You deserve every happiness, especially after what an a$$ S. was.

Oh, and the diamond is simply spectacular! :appl:

audball

Ideal_Rock
Update:

We were supposed to receive a delivery on Friday with a sample setting from a PS vendor to check out in person since there isn't a retailer that carries them in our state, let alone our immediate area.

The vendor accidentally forgot our apartment number on the package and it was marked as missing/incorrect address and was not delivered. I was sooo disappointed!

They now have the correct address and are re-attempting delivery today. I hope I don't miss it! I'm sooooo stoked to see this setting in person. It's been on my wish list for YEARS.

Once we confirm we love it (if we do), we'll be sending it back to the vendor with our diamond and all our old gold that we're using as a deposit on the setting. Once receiving the stone, they'll be doing a jeweler's appraisal on it once it's unset to verify color/clarity and measure the weight. They'll also be checking out the girdle thickness to make sure it can stand up to the setting we (may) be choosing.

If all goes right, in the next 2 weeks we'll have a setting ordered and in 4-6 weeks after that we may have our complete ring! Argh!

This weekend I went to a bridal shower for Andrew's soon to be sister-in-law. It was a formal tea party and was so much fun. After opening all the presents, she took pictures with everyone. When we took our photo, she hugged me and said, "You know you're next, right?". I melted. It was so sweet.

His Mom heard and laughed and said Mmhm...no pressure! :)

And then his soon to be SIL asked his sister to join us for a photo so we could have a photo of the HisLastName triplets since we'd all be sisters someday. It was so wonderful to feel so welcomed by them. His Mom tells me every time I see her how good I am for him. I absolutely adore everyone in his family and feel like I've folded right in.

They have been so welcoming even from the beginning. They found out we were officially dating and I met them over Labor Day after having only been officially dating for 2 months. They invited me to Thanksgiving and I accepted. Andrew's BIL and sister hosted and his BIL said the blessing. He thanked God for bringing me into Andrew's life and said how thankful they all were that we were brought together. He mentioned how they all noticed how much happier he was and that it was just 'right'.

I'm so blissfully happy...many thanks to PS for pointing me in the right direction, in life, and with sparklies. :appl:
"

audball

Ideal_Rock
Winks_Elf|1329150389|3125332 said:
I am so thrilled for you! You deserve every happiness, especially after what an a$$ S. was.

Oh, and the diamond is simply spectacular! :appl:
Thanks Melissa! I now know that not only do I deserve it, but that I really have it. I am so very blessed.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
woohoo congrats!!! I love that stone :love: :love: :appl: :appl: :appl:

audball

Ideal_Rock
Skippy|1329162478|3125489 said:
woohoo congrats!!! I love that stone :love: :love: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Thanks Skippy! We love it too :love:

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
audball said:
This weekend I went to a bridal shower for Andrew's soon to be sister-in-law. It was a formal tea party and was so much fun. After opening all the presents, she took pictures with everyone. When we took our photo, she hugged me and said, "You know you're next, right?". I melted. It was so sweet.

And then his soon to be SIL asked his sister to join us for a photo so we could have a photo of the HisLastName triplets since we'd all be sisters someday. It was so wonderful to feel so welcomed by them. His Mom tells me every time I see her how good I am for him. I absolutely adore everyone in his family and feel like I've folded right in.

They have been so welcoming even from the beginning. They found out we were officially dating and I met them over Labor Day after having only been officially dating for 2 months. They invited me to Thanksgiving and I accepted. Andrew's BIL and sister hosted and his BIL said the blessing. He thanked God for bringing me into Andrew's life and said how thankful they all were that we were brought together. He mentioned how they all noticed how much happier he was and that it was just 'right'.

I'm so blissfully happy...many thanks to PS for pointing me in the right direction, in life, and with sparklies. :appl:
"

Audball, this all made me literally tear up! Tears of joy, obviously. I remember your thread from last year and I am so extremely happy that everything has turned out right. I can tell from what you've posted recently that he makes you happier than your ex ever would have. I just can't express how happy I am that you are in such a better place than you were last year. And I LOVE that PS is such a great community with great people who could help you to the place you are in now. :D

Oh and I LOVE :love: your ring! The faceting is gorgeous and I love that you got such a great deal on it! I should start scouring eBay and the like and maybe I will find my own steal one day.

audball

Ideal_Rock
MayFlowers|1329170085|3125568 said:
audball said:

"

Audball, this all made me literally tear up! Tears of joy, obviously. I remember your thread from last year and I am so extremely happy that everything has turned out right. I can tell from what you've posted recently that he makes you happier than your ex ever would have. I just can't express how happy I am that you are in such a better place than you were last year. And I LOVE that PS is such a great community with great people who could help you to the place you are in now. :D

Oh and I LOVE :love: your ring! The faceting is gorgeous and I love that you got such a great deal on it! I should start scouring eBay and the like and maybe I will find my own steal one day.

Thank you MayFlowers! I am forever grateful for the friends I have found with PS.

Thank you for the very sweet compliments on our stone! We got an AMAZING deal and I owe Gypsy for it entirely! There are some serious ebay fiends around here that can help you look including Gypsy and DreamerD!

I very much look forward to the rest of the process of choosing a setting, having it set, and rejoining the list for THE WAIT.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1329226663|3125955 said:
Exciting!! Can't wait to see it!!
Thanks Amy!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
This is such a sweet and touching story!!! I'm glad you are able to find someone that it is easy to be with and that you are happy with. Many good wishes in years to come!!

audball

Ideal_Rock
pandabee|1330705643|3139174 said:
This is such a sweet and touching story!!! I'm glad you are able to find someone that it is easy to be with and that you are happy with. Many good wishes in years to come!!
Thanks pandabee!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results