color
clarity

We bought a diamond...

audball

Ideal_Rock
slg47|1330714044|3139315 said:
audball I am soo happy for you :)
Thanks slg! We are very happy :)

How's your wedding planning? The day is fast approaching I think!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
audball,

Congratulations on your beautiful diamond. I think I just got your diamond's sister! Just bought what's supposed to be a .8 ct. OEC in a cool WG setting (posted about it in the vintage/antique forum if you're interested).

Like you, I caught the thread about the budget wedding set and liked both the one offered and the one Gypsy suggested. I even marked Gypsy's vendor as a favorite and keep some of the sets in my watch list even though I have no intention of buying. I am amazed at some of the truly beautiful vintage and antique rings that are available at reasonable prices. I have added several vintage wedding/engagement rings to my collection recently, due in large part to that thread. (Too bad Gypsy doesn't get a commission...)

You got a beautiful diamond and I'm looking forward to seeing how you set it.

liz

audball

Ideal_Rock
LibbyLA|1330714416|3139322 said:
audball,

Congratulations on your beautiful diamond. I think I just got your diamond's sister! Just bought what's supposed to be a .8 ct. OEC in a cool WG setting (posted about it in the vintage/antique forum if you're interested).

Like you, I caught the thread about the budget wedding set and liked both the one offered and the one Gypsy suggested. I even marked Gypsy's vendor as a favorite and keep some of the sets in my watch list even though I have no intention of buying. I am amazed at some of the truly beautiful vintage and antique rings that are available at reasonable prices. I have added several vintage wedding/engagement rings to my collection recently, due in large part to that thread. (Too bad Gypsy doesn't get a commission...)

You got a beautiful diamond and I'm looking forward to seeing how you set it.

liz
Hi liz! Thank you so much! It does sound like yours is similar! I'll go look for the thread :)

Gypsy really should get a commission. She's my hero.

We're in the process of getting it partially recut with BGD since after Pearlmans received it (they're doing our setting - we picked the Sholdt Semi Bezel) their gemologist unset the stone from the setting we bought it in and found out that the girdle is 85% Extremely Thin...no bueno for such an open setting.

I spoke with Brian of BGD on the phone this morning and he has the stone in hand. He says he thinks they can just facet the girdle which will have a minimal impact on the size. He's estimating a spread loss of 2/10 of a mm and weight loss of 1-2 points. Score!

It'll still yield a .75ct+ when all is said and done. We ended up getting a small partial refund from the ebay seller since it was advertised as a .80ct H VVS2 and Pearlman's gemologist estimated .78-.79ct J/K VS2. So our final cost for the stone (pre-recut anyway) was $1,200. There is NO way we could have afforded a stone this hand if we hadn't gone second hand market/antique.

Very pleased with our choice! We're also getting the "PS Price" on our designer setting choice with Pearlmans. I also elected to take the plunge now and switch from yellow gold to white gold. We turned in all of my yellow gold pieces (most of which I never wore anymore) and got an $825 credit towards our setting. We'll be diamond (1200) plus setting (503 after gold credit) for a total of just over 1700 before the recut. I think we'll end up just at or just under 2k all told for a BEAUTIFUL OEC in a designer setting. We are beyond stoked.

Andrew has also said several times that he is so happy and grateful that I've been involved in the whole process. He had no idea that buying a ring could be so much work and time!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
audball,

Not trying to threadjack, but here's the thread in antique/vintage so you don't have to go looking: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-4-ct-oec-ring-here-soon.172522/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-4-ct-oec-ring-here-soon.172522/[/URL]

This is a RHR for me and one of the main reasons I bought it is the setting, which isn't like anything I've seen. I paid $1700 for mine, so obviously I think that $1700-2000 for an OEC and WG setting is a good price. You'll have the advantage of a brand new setting that is exactly what you want. I think you will be really surprised at how much bling you'll have for your money and you'll spend a lot of time staring at your little pretty. Beautiful ring, great price, what's not to like? (Just looked at the setting, and I like it. Can't wait to see what your ring looks like.)

I didn't have any idea I wanted an OEC or an antique ering until I started hanging out here!

liz

audball

Ideal_Rock
LibbyLA|1330715677|3139350 said:
audball,

Not trying to threadjack, but here's the thread in antique/vintage so you don't have to go looking: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-4-ct-oec-ring-here-soon.172522/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-4-ct-oec-ring-here-soon.172522/[/URL]

This is a RHR for me and one of the main reasons I bought it is the setting, which isn't like anything I've seen. I paid $1700 for mine, so obviously I think that $1700-2000 for an OEC and WG setting is a good price. You'll have the advantage of a brand new setting that is exactly what you want. I think you will be really surprised at how much bling you'll have for your money and you'll spend a lot of time staring at your little pretty. Beautiful ring, great price, what's not to like? (Just looked at the setting, and I like it. Can't wait to see what your ring looks like.)

I didn't have any idea I wanted an OEC or an antique ering until I started hanging out here!

liz
No worries. It's not a threadjack when the OP is encouraging! I just saw this today in SMTB! Haha -- good timing. It's beautiful. I also saw it for sale, I can see why you went for it! You commented in your SMTB thread that it kind of looks like a bezel, but now. I really like that. The only thing I don't LOVE about illusion heads in general (depends on the specific setting really) is how they tend to make the round stones look square. I haven't seen any illusion heads that emphasis the round shape. That being said, I've fallen in love with some that look quite square, including the one Gypsy posted in the WTB thread we both saw and YOURS :)

I knew going into the setting search that I am clumsy. Delicate was out. Prongs were out. And when I found out the girdle was super thin, I knew a partial recut was going to be necessary so I didn't end up chipping the new diamond in half.

I have LOVED the Sholdt setting for so many years and after Pearlmans sent me a sample to wear and play with for a week, I was sure I loved it as much in person as I had in photos all these years. No prongs to catch on anything, an AMAZNG profile view that shows off the high crown, sits low to the finger, sold gold cast from one piece, super comfortable, and sturdy without being huge and un-dainty. It's very fluid looking in person and I'm so excited to see the final product when it's all said and done.

It's currently got a spread of about 5.8mm x 5.6mm. One day we'll upgrade. My dream is 6.5-7mm......someday! For now I'm soooo excited about our purchase, or stone, and the setting. I definitely owe my love of old cuts to PS and my diamond purchase to Gypsy.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
audball,

I don't like the square look, either. Don't like square/rectangular stones. I am not sure why this one, which really does have that square look, appeals to me so much. I think it's the combination circle-with-corners thing. I'm glad you saw it for sale and didn't buy it :bigsmile:. I just think it's funny that I kept seeing it and liking it and having no intentions of buying it, but it was still there when I finally couldn't resist.

Like you, I am clumsy. I don't think I've ever had a regular four-prong setting, and wouldn't ever choose one. I want the protection of the extra prongs on the NS edges of the stone because I catch my fingers up and down (like catching it on the underside of a desk or counter), not just side to side.

As much as I love the semi-bezel setting, I could not wear it. I'd be hitting the exposed girdle several times a day. You've been wearing the sample, though, so you have real-life experience that that's not going to happen to you.

It is so neat that you are getting exactly your dream ring at a super price. I read in another thread that it's going to be awhile before y'all are engaged, but I wonder if the two of you will be able to hold off once your ring is back in the house :naughty:.

liz

audball

Ideal_Rock
LibbyLA|1330717035|3139377 said:
audball,

I don't like the square look, either. Don't like square/rectangular stones. I am not sure why this one, which really does have that square look, appeals to me so much. I think it's the combination circle-with-corners thing. I'm glad you saw it for sale and didn't buy it :bigsmile:. I just think it's funny that I kept seeing it and liking it and having no intentions of buying it, but it was still there when I finally couldn't resist.

Like you, I am clumsy. I don't think I've ever had a regular four-prong setting, and wouldn't ever choose one. I want the protection of the extra prongs on the NS edges of the stone because I catch my fingers up and down (like catching it on the underside of a desk or counter), not just side to side.

As much as I love the semi-bezel setting, I could not wear it. I'd be hitting the exposed girdle several times a day. You've been wearing the sample, though, so you have real-life experience that that's not going to happen to you.

It is so neat that you are getting exactly your dream ring at a super price. I read in another thread that it's going to be awhile before y'all are engaged, but I wonder if the two of you will be able to hold off once your ring is back in the house :naughty:.

liz
I like the sqaure proportioned cushions, but they have rounded edges. The harsh edges of princesses and emerald cuts don't appeal to me. Strangely though I find the cut corners of the asscher mesmerizing! Everyone is different.

The Sholdt sits SOO low to the finger I'm not worried about the exposed girdle...particularly since we're opted to have it rehabbed to thicken it enough to be structurally sound.

We have talked about next summer being the time frame though I am secretly hoping for Christmas time! We don't even have a completed ring yet and it's burning a hole in my pocket! I can only hope he gets too excited to wait as well! We shall see...once it's in, it's all on him so that at least some part of it can be all him and a surprise.

audball

Ideal_Rock
For anyone still following, Brian Gavin has evaluated our stone and is going to be able to cut in a girdle to make it safe in our dream setting. Cost was VERY reasonable. It's going to take 4-6 weeks for the recut, and then it's coming back to us. Then we ship it out to Pearlmans who will send it to Sholdt. Sholdt will have it another 4-6 weeks before it makes it back to us. Good thing we aren't in any hurry!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay!!

marktaylor9017

Rough_Rock
very beautiful ring. it is quite different from the common rings we frequently see. there are six beautiful circles around the diamond. so beautiful and cool!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Awesome, congrats!! :appl: Your OEC is GORGEOUS, and I know just where your head is at right now. We purchased my ring back in October, even though we weren't completely ready for engagement at the time, because I saw the ring (OEC in an amazing vintage setting) and fell absolutely head over heels in love with it. Since then we've had it re-shanked in platinum (it was originally platinum head/prongs and yellow gold shank), and now it's just sitting in its pretty little box waiting for our engagement!

Can't WAIT to see your completed ring!

audball

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1331157619|3143288 said:
Awesome, congrats!! :appl: Your OEC is GORGEOUS, and I know just where your head is at right now. We purchased my ring back in October, even though we weren't completely ready for engagement at the time, because I saw the ring (OEC in an amazing vintage setting) and fell absolutely head over heels in love with it. Since then we've had it re-shanked in platinum (it was originally platinum head/prongs and yellow gold shank), and now it's just sitting in its pretty little box waiting for our engagement!

Can't WAIT to see your completed ring!
Thank you! It's always wonderful to hear we aren't the only ones who jumped the gun a little bit!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1331217515|3143891 said:
Thank you! It's always wonderful to hear we aren't the only ones who jumped the gun a little bit!

Haha, totally. Though once your ring is all finished and good to go, you're going to want to ogle it at every opportunity. For the first couple of months that mine was sitting around, it was in a place that BF and I both knew I had access to. He didn't seem to care that I couldn't stay away from it, but then he moved it right around Christmas and now won't tell me where it is so I haven't seen it since then and it's driving me bonkers! I keep having to look at pictures of it (and I certainly made sure to take plenty of them before relinquishing it to him) because I miss it so much!! And even though I have pictures of it, I still feel like I've forgotten what it looks like. :lol:

audball

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1331229210|3144057 said:
audball|1331217515|3143891 said:

Haha, totally. Though once your ring is all finished and good to go, you're going to want to ogle it at every opportunity. For the first couple of months that mine was sitting around, it was in a place that BF and I both knew I had access to. He didn't seem to care that I couldn't stay away from it, but then he moved it right around Christmas and now won't tell me where it is so I haven't seen it since then and it's driving me bonkers! I keep having to look at pictures of it (and I certainly made sure to take plenty of them before relinquishing it to him) because I miss it so much!! And even though I have pictures of it, I still feel like I've forgotten what it looks like. :lol:
We haven't talked about this. We'll have to decide what we want to do once it gets here. I assumed I'd get to see it and try it on to make sure it fits, etc. You bring up a great point that we'll need to discuss so there isn't any upset!

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
What a fabulous diamond and wonderful outcome, congratulations! I don't post very often, but I saw your story last year and was hoping it would work out for the better...and it did! What a credit to you and your man!

All the best!

Where is that story you're referencing regarding the vintage set? You got me curious ;-)

Incidentally, I think you might be my neighbor on Dream Heights :)

jjbandero

audball

Ideal_Rock
jjdav|1331403168|3145657 said:
What a fabulous diamond and wonderful outcome, congratulations! I don't post very often, but I saw your story last year and was hoping it would work out for the better...and it did! What a credit to you and your man!

All the best!

Where is that story you're referencing regarding the vintage set? You got me curious ;-)

Incidentally, I think you might be my neighbor on Dream Heights :)

jjbandero
Hi jjdav! Thank you so much for the congrats! We are very happy.

This is the story I was referring to:
https://www.pricescope.com/forum/pr...-antique-wedding-set-they-d-sell-t170743.html

The listing that got away mentioned by Gypsy on page two of the thread above.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAP...x5FekKk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_990wt_1058

And what do you mean by neighbor in Dream Heights? I've been trying to figure that out since yesterday! ;-)

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the links!

I must be mistaken, I was playing this game on my iPhone, it's basically about building and maintaining a building, one of my neighbors has the same user name as you :). Your username is quite unusual and since I remembered you from Pricescope, I thought maybe it was you!

audball

Ideal_Rock
jjdav|1331523296|3146634 said:
Thanks for the links!

I must be mistaken, I was playing this game on my iPhone, it's basically about building and maintaining a building, one of my neighbors has the same user name as you :). Your username is quite unusual and since I remembered you from Pricescope, I thought maybe it was you!
No problem! I see what you mean now. I don't know where Dream Heights is, but I'm in the Bay area of Florida. I've seen audball used in many ways and places. I'm not longer going for it as I changed career tracks after my first bachelor's degree, but the origin of the name came from having pursued a doctorate in Audiology (AuD) and is a play on the word oddball using aud instead. I know it's a common reference for those in that field.

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
Ah I get it, that is very clever, goes to show how little I know about different professions! :)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AUDdd.. I had a dream of your flower setting! That it had a BEAUTIFUL garnet in it.. What are your plans with the setting!

audball

Ideal_Rock
jjdav|1331572482|3146938 said:
Ah I get it, that is very clever, goes to show how little I know about different professions! :)
:)

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1331582159|3147079 said:
AUDdd.. I had a dream of your flower setting! That it had a BEAUTIFUL garnet in it.. What are your plans with the setting!
How funny!

I didn't plan on keeping it. We're making the switch to white gold with the engagement ring and the setting isn't my tastes. It's very pretty from the top, but from the side...it's...unusual and set very high. I thought about trying to sell it but I know settings don't go for much and opted to include it in the scrap with our gold at Pearlmans. I doubt they've done anything with it if someone is actually interested in it...

Here's a profile shot.

P2050026.JPG

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh, I see what you mean :( It really is pretty from a top profile!! Too bad it didn't sit lower. My dream Aud-ring was incredible with a gemstone!

anyway, I can't wait to see your BGD revamp! I'm thinking I might have to go that route eventually, and am learning a bit through your process! :)

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1331610902|3147435 said:
oh, I see what you mean :( It really is pretty from a top profile!! Too bad it didn't sit lower. My dream Aud-ring was incredible with a gemstone!

anyway, I can't wait to see your BGD revamp! I'm thinking I might have to go that route eventually, and am learning a bit through your process! :)
Haha, it is a bummer. But it's fine -- I can't wait to see the final product!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
audball said:
How funny!

I didn't plan on keeping it. We're making the switch to white gold with the engagement ring and the setting isn't my tastes. It's very pretty from the top, but from the side...it's...unusual and set very high. I thought about trying to sell it but I know settings don't go for much and opted to include it in the scrap with our gold at Pearlmans. I doubt they've done anything with it if someone is actually interested in it...

Here's a profile shot.
def interesting from the profile ;-) at least you get the scrap to offset the cost of your new setting

audball

Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1331743400|3148464 said:
audball said:
How funny!

Here's a profile shot.
def interesting from the profile ;-) at least you get the scrap to offset the cost of your new setting
Definitely!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Our "recut" is done!!!!! It's shipping out to us tomorrow, should have the diamond in hand by this weekend. We'll only get to play with it for a short while before sending it back off to Michigan to Pearlmans to get it SET!! AHhHHHH!!!!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Pictures!!!!

liz

audball

Ideal_Rock
LibbyLA|1333407853|3162007 said:
Pictures!!!!

liz
You got it :)

The Idealscope/ASET/Sarin aren't perfect, but that's what makes this old stone so charming. We didn't want him to do a full recut because the stone's faceting was just so amazing on it's own.

It was .79ct and 5.6 x 5.8 mm prior to the recut.
After: .788ct and 5.59 x 5.75 mm.

Video of it in action prior to the recut:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWvImfa7csU

What do you think?

1344_RecutResults_Sarin.png

2612_RecutResults_Ideal.jpg

6439_RecutResults_ASET.jpg

2032_RecutResults_DiamondPic.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results