carat
color
clarity

Updates, anyone?

lktx

Shiny_Rock
madelise|1344111339|3245989 said:
lktx|1343915444|3244793 said:
Here's my update: I was originally expecting a proposal this summer or fall, but SO wants to save up some money first. So now I'm looking at March/April/May of 2013. I was originally a little bummed but I'm almost fine with it now. Almost. :lol: :roll:

Oh, LKTX! I know firsthand how it's like to be let down that you'd have to wait longer! Our original wedding date was supposed to be in Nov '11! I'm not even ENGAGED yet! LOL! I've been let down on timelines so many times that SO refuses to give me one anymore. In fact, I was just bugging SO all day yesterday, last night, and even right before he fell asleep when he was super groggy to see if he'd let a timeline slip. His answers are always "eventually", or "within the next 5 years". haha!

I guess that's somewhere along the lines of normal day-to-day, non-involved-PS-ers and their engagements. Zero clue into the process! :razz:

Frustrating, but March-May will come soon enough! What will you be doing to keep your mind off of it? I just got my big fat GRE handbooks mailed to me, so that's where my ATTN will be! ;-)

This is the third time our timeline has changed. All of this just exacerbates my cray-cray. And y'all are much better than me -- I try to interrogate SO after he's enjoyed a few cocktails. :saint:

Schafenm

Shiny_Rock
Hi ladies! Its been a while since I have stopped by. Nursing school this summer is kicking my butt.. but it will be worth it in the end.

Audball, your pic is sooo cute!! Y'all look so happy together, congrats on the anniversary! :appl: :appl: :appl:

CS, your engagement ring is soo unique and beautiful. You did an amazing job designing it.

Well the only update I have is the ring is finished and paid off!! YAY! It now sits in the safety deposit box of our jeweler until SO is ready to ask. He says it will be sometime in the spring, but I want it now!! HAHA I know school will keep me busy as I can't believe the summer is over and I am already doing a fall interim course. I just want the pretty sparkly thing on my finger :D . I hope everyone is having a good summer!!!

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1343259940|3240104 said:
LJL|1343163744|3239257 said:
Chewbacca|1343107983|3238930 said:
madelise|1343102945|3238916 said:
Chewbacca - OOH emerald cut center and side stones.. I now know what I was thinking of! Or trying to think of! Angelina Jolie's E-ring!

;(

NO WAY!!

I did a google, and now I feel really uncool! It is the closest I've seen of what I'd been imagining! HOW DID THIS HAPPEN!

:nono: :errrr:
reminds me of this little (big) sparkly!

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Modern-and-Estate-Pieces/205ctw-Emerald-Cut-and/21742390_RrfBhz#!i=1733367696&k=LB2PPLw

...listed on the first page of modern rings for 5725!

Cough, bump. Chewbacca? :love:

Nnnnnnnngggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!! :love: :love: :love:

I confess I have bookmarked her, and visited her EVERY DAY since you posted it LJL. I'm not even a big fan of white gold.. this ring does something to me!

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't been able to post here recently, but I have been lurking so that I would be sure I wouldn't miss anything!

audball, that picture is so adorable! I'm so happy for you!!

lktx, in terms of timelines changing, I know exactly how you feel. When BF and I first started discussing it, we had planned for a spring 2010 engagement!! :lol:

Not much new with me. They finally told me the exact school where I will be teaching! I can't remember if I have posted this before or not, but they told me one school in June, then another in late July and have finally finalized my placement! I'm actually very relieved because my final placement is very close to my house, so I will only have about a 5-10 minute commute. :D

BF and I are still looking for a house. We haven't really found anything that has everything we want that is in our price range and isn't super far out of the city. So, the search is still on. BF has discussed possibly compromising on some of his "needs" for a house if we can find one we really like. BF's mother still doesn't have a job and she has started asking BF to pay for all the bills for the house. He is really getting frustrated with her and is about done with everything. He is so anxious for us to be able to move out. At this point, I'm thinking that if we can't find anything by October, then we should go ahead and rent an apartment. The cost is comparable to what he is currently paying for his mother's house. So, staying there has no benefit for us, especially since BF doesn't want us to be engaged until after he has cut ties with his mother.

My only worry about this is that if we sign a 6 month lease and find a house before that time is up, I'm sure the cost to break the lease is expensive. Lots and lots to think about and consider...

princesss

Ideal_Rock
MF, a lot of bigger companies have military clauses built in that cap the lease termination fee. It's usually only a month's rent. I might still look for an apartment, or see if you can do a month to month lease.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Thanks MF! You're so sweet!

And yay for a short commute! I hope the house search picks up soon!

Glitz

Shiny_Rock
Good luck with the house search MayFlowers, the perfect home will pop up at the right time. I wouldn't worry about breaking a rental lease to much, be up front with the landlord and let him/her know that you're looking at purchasing a house soon and ask if they will let you rent month-to-month. Also when we purchased our house the close date was 5 months after we signed the papers because the existing owners didn't want to move until their contracts were up for work. Anything can happen, but it will all work out.

I have an update... SO and I have put a deposit on our wedding venue, meaning that we have a wedding date!!! September 28th 2013 I will be a bride :love: We haven't told anyone besides our parents and my best friend. My engagement HAS to be coming soon now. I'm so excited about planning our wedding, but it's kind of bittersweet since I'm not officially engaged yet and can't tell anyone. This is the home stretch of being a LIW I guess, and it's the hardest!!!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YAY MF, house hunting!! I feel you on the mother front (or FMIL). I want to wait until *I've* cut ties with my mother, but we've waited long enough!

GLITZ !! EEK how exciting! A date!! A venue!! Girl, I think you're officially engaged!! :love: Putting a deposit down on a venue for a specific date screams commitment to me more than any ring ever will! I know soooooo many engaged couples that have been "engaged" for years w/o even thinking of weddings! I'm SOO excited for you!!!! What's the story with your ring/proposal/engagement?

Glitz

Shiny_Rock
The thing is I'm not officially engaged though, it feels like I have to put all my excitement on hold. His mother even said "oh, I consider you already engaged... heck, I've been referring to you as my daughter-in-law for years". I should think of these things as a compliment but they just kind of annoy me (you don't annoy me, no worries), it's like a reminder of how long SO's been putting it off for. I'm hoping that people are still happy and excited for us when we really do get engaged.

The story with the ring is that there isn't one yet, not even a potential stone. SO has it in his mind that it has to be this big beautiful jaw dropping ring since he's made me wait so long (7 years), so he's been working hard to save money. In November he used the money he had saved to open his business, which I 100% support. Now he's finally starting to turn a profit and save again, which makes me feel a little more settled, but I told him I would be happy with any ring from him. I've chosen a classic tapered baguette setting to give me good finger coverage without taking away from the center stone which will be an AVR. I've stopped looking at stones though, I told him when he's ready to call Jon and he'll take it from there. I'm done with getting worked up over stones just to watch them sell, and watching the prices go up. I have no idea what he will have planned for the proposal either, but it better involve him getting on one knee and asking me to marry him and hopefully he'll have a ring by then, I don't think he would propose without one though. We just had a big family gathering this past weekend and I told him it would have been the perfect time to announce our engagement if we were engaged and that Thanksgiving will probably be the next big gathering, and he said 100% by then there will be a ring on my finger. So here's hoping ;-)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Glitz! I get it :sick: What a tough situation to be in! Well I can't wait to see what Mr. Glitz has in store for you, big, beautiful and totally jaw dropping. Thanksgiving isn't far away at all! Enjoy your last 4 months :!: Eek :!: of being a girlfriend!! And don't let others' comments or feelings change your own excitement for engagement!

whispers I've chosen a date too :naughty: But I haven't booked anything. It's a "goal" date, because it's my utmost limit of when I can be married before I get engulfed in grad school studies. Otherwise, he'd have to wait another 2 years! :knockout: So here's to both of us, hoping we get our rings soon so we can just announce our dates!!! :appl:

Glitz

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the kind words. I'm sure when the proposal actually happens that no one else's comments will get me down, I'll be on cloud 9! The center stone will be between 1-2 carats, where I live .5 seems to be the average size. I told him I would be happy with .75-1ct. but I know he'll want to get something bigger just because thats the way he is.

You have a goal date! That's fun, does your SO know about the date??? I kind of wish that we didn't jump the gun and book the venue to reserve the date. It's a lot of pressure now.

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
Glitz, congrats on the almost engagement!!! I'm glad to hear things have been moving along for you. :)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glitz|1344529651|3248543 said:
Thanks for the kind words. I'm sure when the proposal actually happens that no one else's comments will get me down, I'll be on cloud 9! The center stone will be between 1-2 carats, where I live .5 seems to be the average size. I told him I would be happy with .75-1ct. but I know he'll want to get something bigger just because thats the way he is.

You have a goal date! That's fun, does your SO know about the date??? I kind of wish that we didn't jump the gun and book the venue to reserve the date. It's a lot of pressure now.

OOh, will he be picking it out, or will you be helping? Do you know what style?

Yes! SO knows about it because it's literally the ONLY weekend I have in between my last quarter and graduate school! LOL! That's why I say that if it doesn't happen by then, it can't happen for a while! The only other free weekend we have is between the last 2 quarters of school, but my good girlfriend is getting married that same weekend, literally the day after my graduation commencement, and right after my finals, and I'm in her wedding party. LOL! It's a tight squeeze but I'm hoping we make it! Otherwise, 2015 it is :roll:

Don't regret booking the venue! There's pressure, but heck, you get the best work done under pressure! No lagging! No "Meh.. we're in no rush anyway"… It'll happen!

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
... since SOMEONE told me I need to update.....!!!

I HAVE the diamond in my possession... but the setting situation has kind of been BLAH. So everyday, probs 3x a day, I walk upstairs to where the diamond is "hidden", I pull it out and put it on my hand with my grubby little fingers and look at it lots. And I get confused cause its so pretty and bright and doesnt look yellow at all. And I look for the inclusions but I cant find them. Then i shove it back in its little case and push the drawer shut and shuffle back downstairs and pretend like I didnt do that :Up_to_something:

Going tomorrow to some more local stores to see if they have one of the two G&Co settings I like since the last store I went to didnt. And Im still waiting to hear back from GOG on how to send the damn thing back (to have it set in a simple BevK)- bc if they dont get back to me, Im just gonna buy something in person - I cant sit around waiting for this stuff!!!!

Also, Im back on weight watchers because I saw my weight on a scale at the doctors last week and wanted to kill myself. And school started this week. And now its bedtime.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
LJL|1345600993|3255134 said:
... since SOMEONE told me I need to update.....!!!

I HAVE the diamond in my possession... but the setting situation has kind of been BLAH. So everyday, probs 3x a day, I walk upstairs to where the diamond is "hidden", I pull it out and put it on my hand with my grubby little fingers and look at it lots. And I get confused cause its so pretty and bright and doesnt look yellow at all. And I look for the inclusions but I cant find them. Then i shove it back in its little case and push the drawer shut and shuffle back downstairs and pretend like I didnt do that :Up_to_something:

Going tomorrow to some more local stores to see if they have one of the two G&Co settings I like since the last store I went to didnt. And Im still waiting to hear back from GOG on how to send the damn thing back (to have it set in a simple BevK)- bc if they dont get back to me, Im just gonna buy something in person - I cant sit around waiting for this stuff!!!!

Also, Im back on weight watchers because I saw my weight on a scale at the doctors last week and wanted to kill myself. And school started this week. And now its bedtime.

:appl: yaaay update!
first and foremost, HA on the sneaky diamond peeking! lol - this was so amusing to read because I felt like i could SEE you doing it. secondly, maybe you should post the setting styles you like up here and see if anyone can help you locate them? The bevK will always be there, but maybe you can find something you love more? less simple? more simple? i dunno.

and finally - been thinking about joining WW after seeing myself in a bikini after our recent trip... does it work like a buddy system at all? :naughty:

PhillyMcGee

Rough_Rock
Here's another update from me, although it is an update of NOTHING haha!
No changes on the proposal front :( I had thought it would be happening on the holiday we planned for end of the year, but due to work and thus money issues we may not even end up going :(. My job was cut (along with everyone else in my workplace) to 3 days a week which means basically no surplus money after I pay my financial obligations, BUT I have just landed another job after only 2 days of looking - I applied to about 8 jobs, heard back from five (one rejection and I wrote off two myself) went to two interviews and was offered both jobs on the spot!! I told both I had other offers and they were both outbidding each other financially haha, but I have chosen now and resigned today, will be starting a week on Monday hooray! But a little savings has gone as I had to pay board for my horse and was worried I wouldn't be able to in a couple of weeks if I was working 3 days. Bonus is i have 24 days annual leave accrued so that will be a replenishment to the savings once i get it. My OH has had work dramas, a big job he was doing got cut half way as they ran out of money, so as he was planning on being there didn't have other work organised and also has not been paid! He is going to small claims court and had no luck finding other work to do for the past three weeks. Hopefully he is starting something new on Monday but there are never any guarantees in his industry (construction). Things never go smoothly for very long around here!!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LJL - oh haha, I can picture you running upstairs to sneak peeks, too! I'm feelin' ya on the losing weight front! I was down 15 pounds since my Jamaica trip, but put another 5 back on. I'm aiming to lose than 5 and another 5 by the photoshoot! I'm carrying a water bottle with me everywhere so I sip on that when I'm getting random munchies out of boredom.

Mico - HELLO?! Vhere's ze SMTB thread? :love:

PhillyMcGee - hehe I always like writing out your whole screen name because of McGee on NCIS. Sucks that your job cut your days, but yay on getting 2 offers in one day! WOW! The job market seems like it isn't sucking at all with your story, lol! You're so lucky! ****DUST**** that your new job is amazing in all ways, and that your SO finds stability soon!

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
I recently found out my SO took a video of my ring before he locked it up in the safe at the bank.

I made a killer deal with him yesterday so he could even let me see it-- and he did! OMG it is GORGEOUS! :love: It was sparkling everywhere! Even the marquise side stones! My jaw dropped & stayed there the entire time! I kept having to tell myself that this was MY ring! I'm so giddy it will be on MY finger someday! eeeeek!!!

audball

Ideal_Rock
CaprineSun|1345988964|3257299 said:
I recently found out my SO took a video of my ring before he locked it up in the safe at the bank.

I made a killer deal with him yesterday so he could even let me see it-- and he did! OMG it is GORGEOUS! :love: It was sparkling everywhere! Even the marquise side stones! My jaw dropped & stayed there the entire time! I kept having to tell myself that this was MY ring! I'm so giddy it will be on MY finger someday! eeeeek!!!
Eee! I want to seeeeeee iiiiittttt!!!!!!!

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1345990942|3257320 said:

I immediately thought of posting it here! It was so nice to be able to see the ring again.
He wouldn't even let me touch his phone after the video was over. And, I could only view it once. :(sad He says me seeing it over & over will ruin the proposal, since he wants to see that 'take-my-breath-away' look on my face when he proposes. He feels if I keep seeing the ring, it won't be as "wow" for me. LOL. I hate it it, but it's important to him. I had to make a killer deal to even get to see it.

Don't worry, once he pops the question (I hope it will be in the next few months), I will be posting it! I'm even buying a new camera! lol

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
ARG I WANNA SEE IT!!! Hurry up and get engaged CS so I can live vicariously please!!!

Madelise - I am down 5.3# since I went to the doctor on 8/17 and had my "wake up call" ... I think Ive probs got a million more pounds still to lose, just an approximation? If you'd like, you can join Miss Mico and I on WW? :naughty:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CaprineSun|1345992745|3257337 said:
audball|1345990942|3257320 said:

I immediately thought of posting it here! It was so nice to be able to see the ring again.
He wouldn't even let me touch his phone after the video was over. And, I could only view it once. :(sad He says me seeing it over & over will ruin the proposal, since he wants to see that 'take-my-breath-away' look on my face when he proposes. He feels if I keep seeing the ring, it won't be as "wow" for me. LOL. I hate it it, but it's important to him. I had to make a killer deal to even get to see it.

Don't worry, once he pops the question (I hope it will be in the next few months), I will be posting it! I'm even buying a new camera! lol

whaaaa! doesn't he know the bling addicts need their juice?!? that's torture! i'm so excited for you and can't wait to see your ring!

…. :Up_to_something: and what kind of 'killer deal' is this :naughty: :naughty: my mind's in the gutterrrrrrr..

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LJL|1345995726|3257347 said:
ARG I WANNA SEE IT!!! Hurry up and get engaged CS so I can live vicariously please!!!

Madelise - I am down 5.3# since I went to the doctor on 8/17 and had my "wake up call" ... I think Ive probs got a million more pounds still to lose, just an approximation? If you'd like, you can join Miss Mico and I on WW? :naughty:

WOW!! Good job!! and WTH no fair?! I've cut out all drinks but water and hot coffee, and forced myself to eat all 3 meals in small, healthy portions for WEEKS now, and I haven't yet dropped 5 ;( Lemme run to the scale to see. Agh! I still have 2.3 more to go just to get back to my original 15 lost that I gained back….. so that's another 7.3 to drop before the 16th!! Aiyah, I think that might be out of reach by now :nono:

Does WW work THAT well? You have to cook all your food yourself, right? I need all my food prepared "for me" since I'm always on the go.. so that means TV dinners, Subway, Carl's Junior, Chipotle, etc…. My favorite last week was getting a steak chipotle bowl with brown rice and extra black beans (so that there's less rice), and I split it up for 2 meals and a snack. My cheap @$$ was like "OOH! I CAN SAVE $$$!"

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1345998050|3257368 said:
…. :Up_to_something: and what kind of 'killer deal' is this :naughty: :naughty: my mind's in the gutterrrrrrr..
Hahahahah :naughty:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
audball|1346012246|3257453 said:
madelise|1345998050|3257368 said:
Hahahahah :naughty:

hahahaha I was thinking the exact same thing!!!!

ooooh CS I am very much anticipating how your ring looks too!!!! I remember your other posts of when you were working on having it done and it looks amazing already...I really love that it uses marquise sides instead of just a couple of small RB!! so cool.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Ditto pandabee! CS, your ring is much anticipated! I can't wait for it to be revealed!!

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1345674650|3255611 said:
LJL - oh haha, I can picture you running upstairs to sneak peeks, too! I'm feelin' ya on the losing weight front! I was down 15 pounds since my Jamaica trip, but put another 5 back on. I'm aiming to lose than 5 and another 5 by the photoshoot! I'm carrying a water bottle with me everywhere so I sip on that when I'm getting random munchies out of boredom.

Mico - HELLO?! Vhere's ze SMTB thread? :love:

PhillyMcGee - hehe I always like writing out your whole screen name because of McGee on NCIS. Sucks that your job cut your days, but yay on getting 2 offers in one day! WOW! The job market seems like it isn't sucking at all with your story, lol! You're so lucky! ****DUST**** that your new job is amazing in all ways, and that your SO finds stability soon!

I keep forgetting to download all the pictures!!! Soon :)

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
CaprineSun, I cannot wait to see your ring! I know it looks absolutely amazing! I bet you're dying to see it on your hand. I know I would be!

Madelise and LJL, I need to get back on track with losing weight too. You want to help me liven up the LIW bootcamp thread?

Glitz, major **DUST** to you that you don't have to wait much longer!

As for me, I FINALLY have an update!!! We found a house! It all happened so fast that it's still pretty surreal. We saw a house last weekend online that was a foreclosure that we really wanted to jump on. So, we decided to contact a realtor to be our buyer's agent and to go ahead and get pre-approved for a mortgage. Well, that house ended up already having a pending contract on it. So, we weren't able to look at it or consider it for our home. But, we did find a wonderful realtor who was amazing. She recommended someone to us to help us get pre-approved. They gave us a great rate and found us a house to go look at by Tuesday. We went and we both really loved it, but felt unsure just because it was the very first house we had really gone and looked at. So, we went and viewed one more with the realtor and then drove by two more ourselves, to get an idea of the areas. None of those came close to what the first house offered. So, Friday we put in an offer, which they countered and then we accepted yesterday!

I cried in the car afterward. I just couldn't believe that we were really going to finally have our home! :appl: We went and looked at new appliances and furniture to get an idea of what we liked and how much everything will cost. It is all sooo exciting! :D We may not be able to move in for a little while though. The seller is relocating to a different state and the family gets to pick from two states where they will be going. So, they are looking at places in both states to see which they like better. We told them to take their time and not feel rushed because as much as we want to get in the house, we realize that they are in a worse situation. So, it's not a huge deal if we can't move in right away.

We talked about the engagement timeline and I think he is going to propose when he gets his next bonus in October! He has enough saved to pay cash, but wants the bonus to push the budget a little higher. And we want to be in the house before he proposes. There is one more jewelry shop in town I want to check out, but he doesn't want to go until he is ready to buy the ring just because he always gets hassled so much at stores.

Now the real waiting begins. The waiting to get in the house and waiting for the ring. I know it will go by quick especially with everything that goes on in my first year of teaching. But it still seems like so far away!

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Mayflowers I'm so happy for you and your FF!! :bigsmile: Congratulations on the house, and for finding such a fiscally responsible soon to be fiancé! ::)

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Congrats MF!!! So exciting for you!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results