shape
carat
color
clarity

Trading in the goggles for sunglasses! I''m engaged!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ms.Goggles

Shiny_Rock
AH! I can’t believe I am writing my very own “I’m engaged!!!” thread!
36.gif
It feels so surreal. Ok, well, I need to give a big thank you to everyone on LIW. I lurked much more than I posted, but I really appreciated having somewhere to go where everyone was experiencing the same kinds of things & the support is so amazing.

Here’s our story:

The Background

My FI (ah!) & I met on the night of a huge Chicago snowstorm three years ago. Neither of us is much of a “going out” kind of person and normally would be very unlikely to venture out in this kind of weather, but we like to think we felt compelled to go out that night for a reason. I knew by the end of that first night that he was “The One.” There was something about his warm personality and smile, his adorable face and sense of humor, and the fact that he was immediately himself and not afraid to show it even that first night that gave me that “feeling.” We clicked right away & were inseparable right off the bat. Last February we decided to start looking at rings & that’s when I found PS. It was a blessing & a curse because, as I learned more about diamonds, the more I wanted us to find “The One.” Little did either of us know how complicated that could be! 9 months later, we had found our perfect stone & we were waiting it to be set. I was a nervous ball of energy, excitement, anxiety & nerves...& he loved me nonetheless.

The Proposal

We were expecting a major snowstorm in Chicago yesterday so FI told me he was going to do a shift change at work & come home an hour early. We both got up early & we both left for work…little did I know that was not his plan.

I stopped to buy FI a Christmas present after work & hurried home to make sure I got it wrapped or at least hidden before he got there. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. We had emailed during the day from our work accounts, his car wasn’t parked in his assigned spot. When I opened the door to the condo, I was totally oblivious & wasn’t expecting anything. Instead of what I normally find, all the lights were on, including the Christmas tree. I looked in front of me & saw a small table.

“STOP. Turn left & experience the journey of Bob & Kate.”

I looked up & saw two bouquets of flowers & something spread out around the condo. All around our kitchen/living room area, he had created a timeline of “our story” with pictures he had printed of us. The pictures began with our first NYE together (one month after we met) & ended with our recent skydiving trip. He narrated how we fell in love, the things he loves about me, some of our adventures & inside jokes. One of the pages talked about how I would soon be kissing him & he laid chapstick & a chocolate mint on top! A few times I laughed out loud & he could hear me in the other room.

The last page was an arrow pointing to our bedroom. When I got to the door, the sign said, “STOP! Do not open the door yet. Go look in the penguin stocking for a gift.” I stuck my hand in my stocking & pulled out a ring box! I couldn’t believe he was going to have me open my own ring! How would he know when to come out? When I opened the box, there was a tiny note inside. It said that I had been very patient but wouldn’t have to wait much longer. “Look in the snowman stocking for the rest of the story,” it read. The note in the other stocking read, “And then Kate opened the bedroom door…”
My heart was pounding at this point & I started to get emotional. My knees started shaking & I couldn’t open the door! Eventually I opened it & took a peek in, but when I saw my wonderful FI down on one knee, holding the ring of my dreams
30.gif
, I shut the door again! In that moment, I had such a surge of excitement & nervousness. I finally went in, the question was popped & I nodded (& eventually said) YES! It all happened in a whirlwind & I barely remember him putting the ring on my finger. We enjoyed the moment together, called our friends and family & celebrated with dinner at one of our favorite restaurants.

I can’t believe how “us” the proposal turned out to be. I was so nervous that I had ruined everything & that by asking so many questions, I had taken away the special piece of the engagement that I knew we both wanted. I was so wrong to worry- he knows me well & knew well what I would have wanted AND he still managed to surprise me. I am so impressed with the time & effort he put into it, to make me believe he was really at work & that today would be just another ordinary day. He even waited in our bedroom for an hour and a half so that he would be out of sight when I walked in the door! I also love that we met on the night of a snowstorm & here we are engaged on one too. I know there’s a lot of planning & decision making ahead, but we are totally looking forward to just sitting back & taking some time to just enjoy being engaged for the holidays.
face23.gif
I''m on winter vacation for two weeks now & I can''t think of a better start to the occasion.

Ms.Goggles

Shiny_Rock
The Ring!!
31.gif

I haven''t forgotten! Here''s some info with pics to follow if I can figure it out!

Center Stone
1.538 H/VS2
AGS 0/Ideal- Crafted by Infinity H&A

Setting
It''s a Daniel K rosebud inspired custom setting by Maytal Hannah. I had never seen the ring in person but loved it in pictures. Maytal''s work was even better than I could have imagined- the ring is classic & simple, yet interesting, different & downright stunning if I do say so myself! I don''t know the tcw of the setting but there are teensy ideal cut diamonds along the shank, in the "scoops" of the rosebud & up the prongs. In most lighting it gives off a delicate shimmer but in the kitchen & bathroom spot lighting, WHAMMO.
3.gif
The entire ring is so delicate- I am in love.

Once I figure out how to post these pictures, I''ll get them up here for you all! I also need to figure out why the Macro mode on my camera is not working well. Taking a clear picture of my ring is way more difficult than I thought it would be!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
omigosh what a sweet story! i can''t wait to see some pictures :)
congratulations! and please dont make him shovel any snow lol i think he deserves the day off :)

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! What a touching story!

I can''t believe you shut the door, haha, that actually made me laugh outloud..I could picture myself doing that as well!

Wishing you all the best and I can''t wait to see some pictures!
31.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
that is one of the sweetest proposals that I have ever heard!!! Congrats!!!

ringless

Shiny_Rock
I am so happy for you! Your proposal was super sweet, you''re such a lucky girl. Congrats and enjoy your engagement!!! I wanna see pics of the ring!!! :)

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
Your story has me all teared up, it sounds so thoughtful and romantic
1.gif

Can''t wait to see pictures
2.gif

Ms.Goggles

Shiny_Rock
The (almost empty) ring box that was in my stocking. I was so happy that the ring WASN''T in there!

Our Engagement- 12.18.08 0352.JPG

Ms.Goggles

Shiny_Rock
THE RING! I really need to figure out how to capture the fire & sparkle on this thing. I''ve been calling her "Rainbow Bright" for all of the colors she throws off. I can have a dance party wherever I am now- I bring my own discoball wherever I go!

Our Engagement- 12.18.08 0552.JPG

ringless

Shiny_Rock
Ok, I keep refreshing b/c were totally online at the same time and I am so excited to see all of these pics! haha. Keep 'em coming, the good stuff is almost here...

OKKK>>> you just posted the ring shot, sorry I was being impatient! lol It is GORGEOUS... LUCKY YOU! Specs please!

Ms.Goggles

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/19/2008 4:43:06 PM
Author: ringless
Ok, I keep refreshing b/c were totally online at the same time and I am so excited to see all of these pics! haha. Keep ''em coming, the good stuff is almost here...

OKKK>>> you just posted the ring shot, sorry I was being impatient! lol It is GORGEOUS... LUCKY YOU!
Ha! You are cracking me up! Wanna come over & help me take some more!?
emwink.gif

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement!

What a gorgeous ring!!!!!

Profile pic, pretty please.

ringless

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/19/2008 4:44:46 PM
Author: Ms.Goggles

Date: 12/19/2008 4:43:06 PM
Author: ringless
Ok, I keep refreshing b/c were totally online at the same time and I am so excited to see all of these pics! haha. Keep ''em coming, the good stuff is almost here...

OKKK>>> you just posted the ring shot, sorry I was being impatient! lol It is GORGEOUS... LUCKY YOU!
Ha! You are cracking me up! Wanna come over & help me take some more!?
emwink.gif
LOL yes!

tabu

Shiny_Rock
AAAHHHHHH!!!!
1.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Soooooo happy for you! Such a sweet, cute story
30.gif
Congrats!!!

Ms.Goggles

Shiny_Rock
Ok, here are some more specific specs.

Shape: Round Brilliant
Weight: 1.538 Ct.
Colour: H
Clarity: VS2
Cut Grade: 0 - Ideal
Measurements: 7.38 - 7.46 x 4.57 mm
Fluorescence: Negligible

Table Size - 55.5 %
Total Depth - 61.6 %
Pavilion Angle - 40.7 °
Crown Angle - 34.6 °

I am SUCH a believer in the "cut is king" thing now. Even as we were walking outside in the dark last night with just the moonlight, the thing was so lit up! CUT, CUT, CUT.

Oh, & my ring size is 4.75.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! Your story is sweet as can be, and your ring is beautiful. It really does look at home on your hand.

Merry Christmas!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
That was so very sweet. Thank you for including us on your journey!!! What an adorable proposal. See....I'll bet your so happy now!!!!!!

Congratulations my dear! The ring is gorgeous!!!!! It looks HUGE!!!!!!!!!!
6.gif
31.gif
Can't wait to see more photos of that beauty.

Ms.Goggles

Shiny_Rock
here''s the best I can get right now for the profile. I took it in the bathroom where the lighting is kinda yellowy.

Our Engagement- 12.18.08 39312.JPG

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2008 5:08:34 PM
Author: Ms.Goggles
am I posting too many pictures!? a teensy bit of fire
NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I say, post as many as you like. I can never get enough. You could create your own thread in SMTR too after you have several photos to share!

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
W
30.gif
WZA!!!! Your proposal story is one of the sweetest ever and your ring is to die for!!!!!!!!!!!!! The DK Rosebud is one of my faves..

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
36.gif

ams0124

Brilliant_Rock
OMG!!! 1. Your proposal story is so cute!!! I loved reading it!! 2. Your ring is Booootiful!!! It looks amazing on your hand!!

Keep the pics coming!!! This is PS we don''t get tired of beautiful diamond rings
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results