Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2009 11:50:57 AM
Author: princesss
Date: 8/15/2009 9:27:21 AM

Author: ckrickett

Date: 8/15/2009 1:19:07 AM

Please remind me to never, EVER see a movie based on a book I know by heart. Kthnxbai

was it bad or just predictable?

BAD. They skipped over really important stuff, left out major characters, major plot lines, and just skipped from major event to major event, without any time given to the relationship developing. There was no down time to just see Henry and Clare be Henry and Clare, it was ridiculously rushed. I''m bitter. I knew I shouldn''t have high expectations, but they butchered it.

I recently read Then She Found Me and watched the movie right away on Netflix.com. Such a disappointment! The story line was hardly the same at all. They changed so many important aspects of the book that I couldn''t believe the author even signed off on the screenplay!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
LP, I adore Eastern Europe. You''ll have a blast!

Topo, I''m excited!

So I had a really random dream last night. I dreamt that my parents decided to pay for BF and I to elope, but they got to pick the place (and I went along with it, because hey! Free trip!). So I had to guess, and they decided we should get married in Lima, Peru. Only it''s winter there and I was definitely counting on them picking a tropical place, so my suitcase was already packed with warm-weather clothes and I had to go shopping and find eloping-in-the-winter clothes. Very bizarre.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Morning!

P, that''s a random dream. Hahaha! I hear you on books-to-movies. They pretty much always suck. Twilight for example? What a freakin disappointment. How they go from we hate each other, to friends, to what? you''re a vampire?, to we can never be apart in about 4 scenes? Please...

Elle, if you''re around, I was able to use FI''s work laptop for a bit yesterday. He''s sometimes able to get around the restricted sites. Sometimes. Ugh...1 more week of computerlessness hopefully!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Morning, y''all!

Glad you''re getting your computer back soon, Sunnyd! I don''t know what I''d do without mine!

Interesting dream, princesss! What would Freud say?
41.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, I need advice. I''m having trouble making a decision.

OK, currently FI and I live in a 1 bedroom apartment with 1 bathroom, and no laundry. There is coin laundry in the basement. We pay 715/mo which is an AWESOME deal for our location/size of our apartment. It''s 1 bedroom, but its about 1000 sq ft. It''s on a 2nd floor. Actually more like 1.5 level since there is a garden level apartment below us.

Our lease is up at the end of September. We looked at an apartment last night. It was 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath, laundry room, 1400 sq feet. It was a little dated looking, and it was a garden level (Half in the ground, half out). The landlord seemed really cool, didn''t mind our pets, and was generally pleasant and helpful. She was asking 950 a month.

My issues with the current apartment is no laundry, and only 1 bathroom. Those are the two things I really want to change, and we are getting a ton of space for not a lot of money with the new place, and we''d be 1 mile from downtown, so we could walk, which we''ve always wanted.

FI is on the fence too. The reason we can''t decide is because thats 235/month that we could be saving for a house. Thats almost 3000/year. I understand that, but this past year we were only paying 715/month (we got the cheap apartment because we swore we''d save) and we''ve not saved much at all. I guess at this point, I don''t trust us to save, and I don''t want to indefinitely live in a sub-standard apartment (amenity-wise) because "OH yes, We''ll save! We''ll save so much" I''d not have a problem with the current apartment if there was a light at the end of the tunnel, but financially right now, FI and I are still learning... and not saving as much as we should. I have a feeling if we stayed, it would be another year or maybe even two. I don''t know if I can do another year or two!

So should I suck it up and stay in the apartment I don''t like in hopes of saving? Or be more comfortable in the new apartment, realizing it may take us longer to buy a house?

I don''t know what to do!

We''d definitely still be able to save in the new place, it would just be about 3000/year less than we could if we stayed where we are.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Elle: if you can set up some sort of budget, so that you save that 275, no matter what (both get partial direct deposit into another savings account) then I''d stay put. 3k a year is not too shabby...and worth it if you don''t hate where you are. Now, if you hate where you are, then you should move. Still save what you can, possibly cut back on eating out (which I know you do a lot of
28.gif
) buying little nonsense things, etc.

Believe me, I feel your pain. I CAN''T WAIT to be able to afford a house, but we have no choice, so we wait. Our co-op is smaller than yours but for now its all we need.

btw: morning everyone!
35.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 9:55:39 AM
Author: Bia
Elle: if you can set up some sort of budget, so that you save that 275, no matter what (both get partial direct deposit into another savings account) then I''d stay put. 3k a year is not too shabby...and worth it if you don''t hate where you are. Now, if you hate where you are, then you should move. Still save what you can, possibly cut back on eating out (which I know you do a lot of
28.gif

Believe me, I feel your pain. I CAN''T WAIT to be able to afford a house, but we have no choice, so we wait. Our co-op is smaller than yours but for now its all we need.

35.gif
Damn you, Bia! For being reasonable!
2.gif

I guess I know that we should stay to save more money. We should sit down, make a budget, and stick to it. We NEED to do that.

But I just dont know if I can tolerate living another 1-2 years in our current situation. I guess the 1 bathroom thing I can deal with, but I seriously hate fighting with everyone else in the building for laundry!

I want this new place, I really, really do. But.. ugh. We should be saving. My head wants one thing, heart wants another.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 10:01:48 AM
Author: elledizzy5

28.gif

35.gif
Damn you, Bia! For being reasonable!
2.gif

I guess I know that we should stay to save more money. We should sit down, make a budget, and stick to it. We NEED to do that.

But I just dont know if I can tolerate living another 1-2 years in our current situation. I guess the 1 bathroom thing I can deal with, but I seriously hate fighting with everyone else in the building for laundry!

I want this new place, I really, really do. But.. ugh. We should be saving. My head wants one thing, heart wants another.
I understand your issues with laundy. The house we recently rented for vacation had a washer and dryer and I was IN HEAVEN! it''s amazing how having a w/d to call your very own can seriously make you so happy! We have two washers, two dryers in our building, and doing laundy on the weekends is never going to happen. So what we do is we do the laundy late at night on a weeknight. FI usually puts it in around 9:30-10 and picks it up right before we go to bed. At that hour, we never have to worry about it.

Elle, think about the bigger picture. You want your house--I know how much you want to buy a house. So if you like your place ''okay,'' then stay. BUT, if you really don''t like your place then YOU SHOULD MOVE. In my case, we don''t like that our apt is so small, but there are a lot of other perks (its cozy
20.gif
, has a fireplace, big windows, nice kitchen, great neighbors, right next to Metro North...) and that makes it okay for now.

I know I''m confusing that pretty little head of yours, so I''ll stop now
9.gif
Just know I always try to help!

Bia

Ideal_Rock
btw: Elle, I didn''t hear about your epic session. Did you post it somewhere? If not...can you???
9.gif
10.gif
5.gif
4.gif
3.gif
11.gif
16.gif
28.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 10:21:31 AM
btw: Elle, I didn''t hear about your epic session. Did you post it somewhere? If not...can you???
9.gif
10.gif
5.gif
4.gif
3.gif
11.gif
16.gif
28.gif
No, I didn''t really say much about it on here... you didnt miss a post, I don''t think! My feet have serious blisters on them from those shoes even 4 days later. I can barely walk! Worth it.
11.gif
9.gif

What''d you want to know? It went really well, and it was a lot of fun! I don''t get them back for another 2-3 weeks!
39.gif

We took pictures in the arcade where FI used to work when we first started dating, in a lot of urban/alley type areas. We took some in front of our sushi restaurant that we eat at once a week. Took one in front of a bookstore, too, because there was a book on display that said "True Love" or something along those lines.

It was super fun. BUt modeling is hard!!
3.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 10:35:44 AM

Date: 8/18/2009 10:21:31 AM
9.gif
10.gif
5.gif
4.gif
3.gif
11.gif
16.gif
28.gif
No, I didn''t really say much about it on here... you didnt miss a post, I don''t think! My feet have serious blisters on them from those shoes even 4 days later. I can barely walk! Worth it.
11.gif
9.gif

What''d you want to know? It went really well, and it was a lot of fun! I don''t get them back for another 2-3 weeks!
39.gif

We took pictures in the arcade where FI used to work when we first started dating, in a lot of urban/alley type areas. We took some in front of our sushi restaurant that we eat at once a week. Took one in front of a bookstore, too, because there was a book on display that said ''True Love'' or something along those lines.

It was super fun. BUt modeling is hard!!
3.gif
Tell me about it...
9.gif

So the photographer hasn''t sent you anything? Not even a little teaser? What was your casual outfit?

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Morning ladies!

Elle, that is a tough one for sure. We may well be in a similar situation. Saving for a house is no fun!!

If it were me, I would probably move. Hating where you live is a miserable feeling, no 2 ways about it. I am really sensitive to it for some reason, and I get miserable. BUT I would only do it if I could figure out a way to tighten in other areas to establish that auto savings Bia brought up. Automatic withdrawal is the way to go for sure!

I have weird emotional money issues...I know Princesss will come along and tell you to save it
3.gif
and they are probably right. LOL.

I woke up this morning to discover that my spam filter caught a ton of important email yesterday, so I had some angry impatient people. Ugh.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
No teasers yet.
39.gif

Casual outfit: This top!

pBCBG1-5841924dt.jpg

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jeans.. actually my jeans might be darker. Yeah. They're darker.

jeansformyepics892375293857.jpg

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 10:55:02 AM
Author: Miscka
Morning ladies!

Elle, that is a tough one for sure. We may well be in a similar situation. Saving for a house is no fun!!

If it were me, I would probably move. Hating where you live is a miserable feeling, no 2 ways about it. I am really sensitive to it for some reason, and I get miserable. BUT I would only do it if I could figure out a way to tighten in other areas to establish that auto savings Bia brought up. Automatic withdrawal is the way to go for sure!

I have weird emotional money issues...I know Princesss will come along and tell you to save it
3.gif
and they are probably right. LOL.

I woke up this morning to discover that my spam filter caught a ton of important email yesterday, so I had some angry impatient people. Ugh.

Morning, Miscka!!
35.gif

LOL. I knew someone would tell me to move. I really do want to... I REALLY do. I guess I''m thinking of this as a lesson in delaying gratification. I tend to be an instant gratification person. I need to learn to be patient, live without, and SAVE. I think it would be good for me, as financial responsibility is something both me and FI need to work on. I am definitely better... but... definitely room for improvement!

I hate the spam filter when it catches important stuff! Ugh so annoying. I hope no one was too upset with you!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Elle, I''d move. I''m all about being comfortable where I''m living, so I''d suck it up. Besides, when you''re talking a few hundred thousand, an extra three doesn''t make a difference. If you go look at the John L. Scott mortgage calculator, plug in an extra 3K for the down payment - your monthly goes down like $10.
3.gif
It''ll make you happier in the long run to have your very own w/d too.
9.gif

Glad your epics went well!

Morning everyone!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you tell how on the fence I am about this? I agree with everyone!
20.gif

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
28.gif

35.gif

I agree with all of this!!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
hahaha I am the QUEEN of indecision lately, so I am probably no help!

There are lots of ways to learn saving habits. Budgeting is all about give and take, IMO, esp. when you are talking 2 people.

How much is a better place worth to you? Worth eating out one less night a week? That will be a HUGE difference. Worth planning meals in advance, and making 1 big trip to the grocery store every 2 weeks? We do this, it saves A TON. Seriously, a frightening amount. Worth packing lunch 2 x a week (if you buy). Etc, etc, etc. There are lots of ways to "find" money in your budget to do what is important to you and your FI.

Would utilities be much different? What would you save in gas and laundry?

Consider all of these things. I would rather live somewhere I like than buy a bunch of new clothes or eat out a ton (we made this call, I am very glad). We have 2 bedrooms (read: 2 closets) and 2 bathrooms, and I would DIE otherwise, as an only child who needs personal space!

Set up an ING account! I loooooooove mine. So hard to touch the $$ there and you can get auto withdrawal, and the interest rates are much better than traditional banks.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
SO excited.... THIS!!! should be in my hands by the end of the day.
I can't wait to play.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 11:53:53 AM
Author: ckrickett
SO excited.... THIS!!! should be in my hands by the end of the day.
I can''t wait to play.
Ooh that looks like fun CK!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I do alot of drawing online but the mouse gets so lame...
so this should be fun, and productive!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Elle, have you guys gone to talk to a mortgage person yet? It might be worth just finding out what sort of down payment you guys would have to have. If you have an idea of what your credit scores are, they can run some numbers for you without actually running your credit.

We were really surprised by how little we needed for a down payment, even after the mortgage crisis. How expensive are houses in your area? We ended up finding something that was a little bit out of the way, but we LOVE our neighborhood and we have a full river view for a fraction of the price we''d pay for the same view closer in.

In any case, that would give you an idea of what your goal is. Having a tangible number can definitely make it more real. And truth be told, I''d move to the new place. Having the extra bedrooms is SO nice, especially when you have people come visit (which we have had a ton of this summer).

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 12:24:23 PM
Author: ladypirate
Elle, have you guys gone to talk to a mortgage person yet? It might be worth just finding out what sort of down payment you guys would have to have. If you have an idea of what your credit scores are, they can run some numbers for you without actually running your credit.

We were really surprised by how little we needed for a down payment, even after the mortgage crisis. How expensive are houses in your area? We ended up finding something that was a little bit out of the way, but we LOVE our neighborhood and we have a full river view for a fraction of the price we''d pay for the same view closer in.

In any case, that would give you an idea of what your goal is. Having a tangible number can definitely make it more real. And truth be told, I''d move to the new place. Having the extra bedrooms is SO nice, especially when you have people come visit (which we have had a ton of this summer).
We haven''t, actually. That''s a good idea! Maybe if we had an idea of what to save for, we could more easily set a goal? It just feels like some conceptual number that I have no idea how to meet. My parents have set aside money for us... I think 5-10 thousandish, to help with the downpayment. Starter houses in my area (11-1500 Sq Ft, 3bd/1-2 bath) in the neighborhoods that we really want would be 170-200,000. I''d like to pay no more than 190,000. If we sacrifice neighborhood just a bit, we could go down to 150-160.

I really do want to move. REALLY do. But I want a house more, so if we can''t save enough moving... I think I have my answer.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 12:57:19 PM
Date: 8/18/2009 12:24:23 PM

Author: ladypirate

We haven''t, actually. That''s a good idea! Maybe if we had an idea of what to save for, we could more easily set a goal? It just feels like some conceptual number that I have no idea how to meet. My parents have set aside money for us... I think 5-10 thousandish, to help with the downpayment. Starter houses in my area (11-1500 Sq Ft, 3bd/1-2 bath) in the neighborhoods that we really want would be 170-200,000. I''d like to pay no more than 190,000. If we sacrifice neighborhood just a bit, we could go down to 150-160.

I really do want to move. REALLY do. But I want a house more, so if we can''t save enough moving... I think I have my answer.

Elle, seriously talk to a mortgage guy. With the FHA loans, you can do a downpayment that is less than 20%. Plus, the market is still such that you can lowball people because houses have been sitting there for so long. If you put down 15K on a 180K house, your monthly payment would only be about $1200. That is TOTALLY doable. You could be in a house way sooner than you think.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Elle, honey, this situation sucks.

I would sit down with J and make a workable plan for BOTH apartments. What will your day-to-day life be like? How much will you really save? Where can you cut back?

For instance, I realized my stupid Target runs were costing me $50 - $100 every time I went. On stupid stuff. And my food habits weren''t great (I''d buy something, leave it too long, then toss it). And I went out all the time. Seriously. I spent money on stupid stuff that wasn''t improving the quality of my life. So I cut back. My food and entertainment budget is now $50 per week. That''s it. If I want something that will cost more than that, I put it back. There are outliers, of course. This week I''m taking a friend out to dinner, and I''ll pull that out of a different fund, but that''s a concious choice I''m making. I''m going to breakfast with Topo on Saturday, and that comes out of my $50. This way I''m able to aggressively pay down my debt AND handle any unexpected/unusual expenses (such as dentist visits, car tax, etc.).

So anyways, figure out where you can cut back and see if you can make up what you could save elsewhere. Find cheaper sources of entertainment. Go out to dinner once a week if you''re going 2-3 times, or once a month if you only go once every week or two. Sign up for a basic Netflix package and watch movies every few nights.

But if you''re really miserable, move. You''ll have to be stricter in order to save up enough money for a down payment, but if living where you are now is truly affecting the quality of your life - move.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto LP. We haven''t talked to anyone yet, but are hoping for an FHA loan and a DP of around 5% I think? Starter homes around here are a little lower than your area, Elle, at about 150k for a good one, and I know that means we need about 7500. So if you have some parental funding you may be much closer than you think!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 1:13:38 PM
Elle, honey, this situation sucks.

I would sit down with J and make a workable plan for BOTH apartments. What will your day-to-day life be like? How much will you really save? Where can you cut back?

For instance, I realized my stupid Target runs were costing me $50 - $100 every time I went. On stupid stuff. And my food habits weren''t great (I''d buy something, leave it too long, then toss it). And I went out all the time. Seriously. I spent money on stupid stuff that wasn''t improving the quality of my life. So I cut back. My food and entertainment budget is now $50 per week. That''s it. If I want something that will cost more than that, I put it back. There are outliers, of course. This week I''m taking a friend out to dinner, and I''ll pull that out of a different fund, but that''s a concious choice I''m making. I''m going to breakfast with Topo on Saturday, and that comes out of my $50. This way I''m able to aggressively pay down my debt AND handle any unexpected/unusual expenses (such as dentist visits, car tax, etc.).

So anyways, figure out where you can cut back and see if you can make up what you could save elsewhere. Find cheaper sources of entertainment. Go out to dinner once a week if you''re going 2-3 times, or once a month if you only go once every week or two. Sign up for a basic Netflix package and watch movies every few nights.

But if you''re really miserable, move. You''ll have to be stricter in order to save up enough money for a down payment, but if living where you are now is truly affecting the quality of your life - move.
I''m actually embarassed to say this.. but we eat out far more than 2-3x a week. I think thats why this whole 250/month thing isn''t such a big deal... or wouldn''t be if we cut back.. We eat out, I''d say 3, maybe even 4 times just during the work week for dinner. He eats lunch out every day at work. I mostly eat at home for lunches, but pick up takeout for lunch 1-2x/week. On the weekend, we pretty much eat every meal out, including breakfast!!!
38.gif
38.gif
38.gif

If we even just brought it back to 2-3x a week, we''d save a ton. And we KNOW this, but the two of us are just having a hard time sticking to regular grocery shopping, cooking, and eating at home. Ok. I admit it. We''re spoiled.
20.gif
I''m ashamed that we don''t try harder. It''s not just one of us, it''s both. We are enabling one another!

I guess this is my new goal. We HAVE to start cooking if we want to meet to buy a house. It''s a must. I guess we have to start tonight. We can go grocery shopping, and sit down and make a damn budget. This is so overdue. I''m angry at myself!

On whether or not the apartment is affecting my quality of life... eh... that''s really relative, and hard to answer. Would I LOVE to have laundry in-unit and another bathroom? Absolutely? But I can survive, and have been surviving just fine for the most part without either.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 1:15:21 PM
Author: Miscka
Ditto LP. We haven''t talked to anyone yet, but are hoping for an FHA loan and a DP of around 5% I think? Starter homes around here are a little lower than your area, Elle, at about 150k for a good one, and I know that means we need about 7500. So if you have some parental funding you may be much closer than you think!
Man I hope so! It''s my credit that needs work... but I''ve been working on it for 2 years now, and it''s slowly but surely getting better.

If my parents drop 5, and we drop 5... thats 10,000 for a 180,000 house... that''s pretty solid, no?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results