shape
carat
color
clarity

Surprise?

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe not a complete surprise, but...I guess it's time to take me off the list!

I had suspected he might be planning something for this weekend, but after my guinea pig started having serious health issues, I figured it was out of the question. He'd never propose while I was tending to an aging, ailing pet, right? Secretly, I hoped he would. Cecelia, my guinea pig, has been with me for 7.5 years and has gotten me through some of the darkest times in my life. I so wanted her to be here for the happiest time, too. But I didn't think he would go through with it at a time like this, and I fully understood him not wanting any bad memories tied in with this happy occasion. So I braced myself for a longer wait.

Last night, he asked me if I wanted to go out to dinner. He said he thought it would do me some good, and give me a little break from caring for Cecelia. We talked for a little while about where we would go, and [I thought] we decided on our favorite burger place. It seemed unlikely he'd propose there, so I figured it was really just about dinner, and that was fine. We got ready and got in the car. As I was buckling my seatbelt, he said "how about we go to Big Fish instead?" Then I knew. Big Fish is a nice seafood restaurant. It's also where we had our first date. I should add that he is the least decisive person in the universe. He has NEVER, ever, just said "let's go to x." It's always half an hour of "where do you want to go?" "Are you sure?" So when he declared so confidently that he wanted to go there, there was no question in my mind.

He's not so good with secrets and surprises, and he's not a very public person, so he didn't wait to propose inside the restaurant. As soon as we got there (still in the car!), he said "there's also a reason I wanted to come here." I melted while he made his speech. It may be a little unorthodox to propose in a parking lot, but we were literally steps away from where we had our first kiss. I know he was very nervous. He told me he had been going back on forth on whether to propose with all of Cecelia's health issues going on, but that he had decided it would be important to me to have her there to celebrate with us, and it was important to him to show me that he wanted to be there with me in good times and in bad. And that's why I love him so much.

I took a few more pictures of the ring. Still not great, but better than the phone pics from before. I'll keep working on it! This is my grandmother's 1.16c OEC (appraised H-I, VS2) in Van Craeynest's setting 456 in antiqued yellow gold with a platinum head. I love it!

100_1592.JPG

100_1593.JPG

100_1597.JPG

100_1597v2.jpg

PrincessNuggz

Rough_Rock
It's gorgeous! I've been following your story and I'm glad you got the proposal you've been waiting for! And your fiancé was still able to catch you (sort of) by surprise!

Hope Cecelia is doing OK, too...

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!!!! Congratulations! :appl:

I hope everything is ok with Cecelia!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful!!!!! Congratulations! And hey, nothing wrong with a parking lots engagement, we got engaged in one too :)))))

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! I actually do know one other person who got engaged in the parking lot of the restaurant of there first date, so it's not completely out there. I'm so glad you got exactly what you wanted and you have an awesome heirloom piece :) :appl:

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats blacksand!!! I'm so excited for you! I love your ring. It is truly gorgeous and it's pretty amazing that you get to have your grandmother's stone!

Grlsbestfrnd

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! I'm so happy for you :bigsmile: :appl:. Your ring is gorgeous and your proposal was very sweet. I'd love to see more pics of your ring on your hand :love:

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! Cute story and beautiful ring.

A

Anonymous

Congratulations!!! I've been checking in to see how things are going and I'm really glad that he didn't wait. :) The ring is beautiful and the proposal was very genuine. You couldn't ask for more. :)

confusedaisy

Shiny_Rock
CONGRATS!!! That sounds like a very sweet proposal. And that ring looks STUNNING on your hand! Congrats!! I'm so happy for you! :appl: :appl:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations. Your ring is gorgeous!

I thing it was a sweet proposal, and I love Big Fish, too!

I'm sorry that Cecelia isnt well, and I love that Cecelia is there for your good news, can we see a pic of her, too? Maybe with your ring!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
oh congratulations!!! blacksand that ring is gorgeous, your grandmother's OEC looks perfect in that setting :)

also hoping your guinea pig is doing better

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Blacksand, what a beautiful proposal during a not-so-great time :appl: Your love for each other practically glows off the screen from your description. Doesn't hurt that there is a STUNNING sparkly also glowing away there!

Best wishes for your future together and congratulations. Give Cecelia a cuddle and some healing vibes from us.

FuturePsyD

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations!!!! :appl:

Your ring is a beauty! I hope Cecelia is feeling better. It must mean a lot to share your special day with her! :))

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your kind words. I am still so excited to be engaged to the best guy I know.

As for Cecelia, she is a very old girl, and I'm afraid there isn't a whole lot we can do. Guinea pigs typically live 5-7 years, and she's 7.5. So she's had a good long life! But her health is starting to decline now. We are just trying to keep her as pain-free as possible and make life easy for her by making everything she needs more accessible. I'll be honest: I thought we were going to lose her this weekend. She lost the use of her back legs and was just dragging herself around. It made me cry to watch. But we got some new meds for her and she has been walking since then, albeit on shaky legs. She also had a nosebleed on Saturday, which could indicate a number of internal problems, so we'll bring her back to the vet this week, but we won't operate on her at her age, so we'll have to decide what to do. In any case, she is walking on her spindly legs now and eating voraciously, so she is as well as can be expected, I think. I am just so glad she could be with us to celebrate our engagement, since she has been with me through so many hard times. She's been there to watch me grow up, and taken care of me as much as I've taken care of her. I'm so glad she's here for a happy time.

Ok, sorry for the melancholy is an otherwise happy thread. Here's my old girl with the ring, just for fun:

Mostly, she wanted to see if she could eat it.

Under her little paw.

Here she is when she was healthier with her younger cagemates Minnie and Lucy. I also have two bunnies. Yes, I am the crazy pet lady (and yes, my fiance wants to marry me anyway!), but Cecelia has been with me the longest, and she is just so special to me. That my fiance would recognize that and know that I would want her here for this happy time is awesome, and the reason I am going to marry him.

100_1608.JPG

100_1613.JPG

100_1610.JPG

180194_501321162382_256464942382_5844821_5526125_n.jpg

briolette

Shiny_Rock
Oh congrats! I am so happy for you, and i like the story a lot. Wear that ring in good health. It is so beautiful...
And I hope your guinea pig gets better. (Thanks for posting pictures of them!)

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats!!!! And I hope your guinea pig gets better, too.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! I just read the story of your diamond-how wonderful! Please post some photos in the Show me some Van Craeynest thread! It's been a little quiet recently.

Glitz

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations!!! You're story is sooo sweet, I love that your proposal was still private and you were just steps away from where you had your first kiss. You're fiance sounds like such a sweetheart for planning it all around your first date and doing it so that Cecelia could be around to celebrate. Best wishes for a long and happy marriage.

DuckLovingVegan

Shiny_Rock
Congrats and your ring is so.... beautiful! Your guinea pig is adorable and I'm glade she could be there with you to celebrate.

TwinkleStar

Shiny_Rock
Congrats, blacksand! That's even lovelier finished than imagined! Wear it in good health with lots of happiness!

Sorry to hear about your guinea pig - I hope she gets better and you have as much time as possible with her!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwww. I love the pictures of Cecilia! (and her friends.) Yes, I'm an animal lover, too. I once had a guinea pig in my classroom, Squeaky, and have had a rabbit, hamster and even rats. (which are great pets, for those who are eeked out ;-) ) ;-) Oh, and I now have a dog and cat.

It's so cute that Cecelia wanted to see if she could eat your ring. I'll be she likes the other kind of carat!

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations, girl! Your ring is gorgeous, and your proposal story is so romantic. :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

I'm so sorry to hear that your guinea pig isn't doing well. She looks so sweet, and the pictures of her with your ring are beautiful. I love guinea pigs - I have had two, back when I was younger, and they were both great. My first guinea pig, Cookie (hey, I was seven when I named her - lol) still holds a very special place in my heart.

I'm sending lots of *dust* to you and Cecilia!

Narwhal

Shiny_Rock
Congrats! Beautiful ring, love the older cuts!

Sorry about your piggers. I've had many gpigs in my life and its never fun when they get old. But some of your symptoms got me thinking. Have you tried Vit C treatment? I've had a few older pigs develop scurvy due to poor teeth that would prevent normal eating. Vit C deficiency for me always manifested as lack of back leg use and bleeding. And it can quickly be be treated with some higher dose oral vit c liquid. I have had two come back back and do very well for a while longer. Just thought it might not hurt to try. Vit C is water soluble so she will just urinate out the extra if its not that. And if it is her teeth, a vet can float them and i always used veggie baby food and oxbow herbivore diet to get them up and going again. Best of luck! Hugs!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results