shape
carat
color
clarity

Pre-engagement weight loss

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lilmissrugger

Shiny_Rock
My family has a history of being overweight, and this past spring I decided to start to lose weight just to be in optimum health. I joined rugby (hence the name) which helped with all of the running (though not so much with the celebratory drinking
2.gif
). I''d like to get back down to the weight I was when I met my FF, but I also have an ulterior motive:

I''d like to look good for the engagement pictures.

Now, I know I don''t know when he''s going to propose, but I do know that I want to use engagement photos for our "save-the-dates", and the better I look, the better I''ll feel about the pictures. Plus, I''ll get a leg up on getting in shape for the wedding.

Anyone else trying to lose weight, pre-engagement?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I have a friend that is not overweight, just curvy and about a size 8 or 10 that went on B-12 shots and appetite suppressants and lost a lot of weight and is now around a size 4, and another friend about to start the same thing! I think its a little extreme, but they tell me that its really safe and effective too.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
The book ''Eat to Live'' gives a healthy eating plan, and you can lose 20lbs in 6 weeks, not including exercise. It''s a good read if nothing else :)

laurenfischer5

Shiny_Rock
Girl, I''m still trying to lose post-wedding weight.
31.gif
Staying active is a good start. I started walking/running two weeks ago and eating healthy and I''ve lost 8 lbs so far... You should try posting on the Healthy lifesyle Thread. Its been very helpful and encouraging to me. Good Luck!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn''t lose much weight before my engagement but I''m getting married last week and I''ve lost over three stone since February just by exercising in the gym and eating healthily. I''ve never felt better. Best of luck with it!

NicaK

Rough_Rock
Trade
I thought about doing the same thing. I''m glad that I''m not alone. I''ve been trying to stay away from the junk food and exercise 4-5 times a week.

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
I knew FI would propose this year, so last October I joined a weight loss program and dropped about 20 lbs (from a size 8/10 to a size 4/6). However, I did have ulterior motives. FSIL''s wedding is in two weeks so I wanted to look my best for that. But ultimately, my main motivation was the engagement (especially since I will start shopping for bridal gowns soon!)

Good luck with the weight loss!

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 11:11:48 AM
Author: idreamofcushions
I knew FI would propose this year, so last October I joined a weight loss program and dropped about 20 lbs (from a size 8/10 to a size 4/6). However, I did have ulterior motives. FSIL''s wedding is in two weeks so I wanted to look my best for that. But ultimately, my main motivation was the engagement (especially since I will start shopping for bridal gowns soon!)

What program did you use?

As far as the B12 shots go, my mom did the Dr Bernstein diet which is the B12 shots and basic starvation and yep, she lost a boat load of weight but it all came back. Totally unsustainable in real life. Just FYI.

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 11:45:50 AM
Author: october2008bride
Date: 6/7/2009 11:11:48 AM

Author: idreamofcushions

What program did you use?

As far as the B12 shots go, my mom did the Dr Bernstein diet which is the B12 shots and basic starvation and yep, she lost a boat load of weight but it all came back. Totally unsustainable in real life. Just FYI.

My weight loss has been quite a journey. For most of my adult life, I''ve been in the 120''s. In 2005 I broke up with my then-fiance, and for various reasons (mostly stemming from depression) I gained over 50 lbs in 5 months. I topped off at 173 and was miserable. Shortly after this, I meet my FI. He has really encouraged me and in the three years we''ve been together I was able to lose 30 lbs by eating healthier and being more active (ie no more binging). It''s been a struggle and I''ve gone up and down on the scale. I''ve done weight watchers, nutri-system, diet pills, you name it. But the most effective thing has always been eating moderately, drinking tons of water and working out occasionally. I do 30 minutes on my elliptical and love it.

Anyway, the last 20 lbs was not coming off easily. Some of my coworkers had started a weight loss program with
Physicians Weight Loss. They had amazing results, so I decided it was time for a little help. Basically, the program teaches you portion control, how to choose the right foods, and finding a balance. For instance, every meal contains a protein, veggie, fruit, and a starch with dinner. The key to the programs success is the constant monitoring. It is a medical clinic, so you initially meet with a doctor for an evaluation, then go back at least 3 times a week for weigh-ins (they also check your food chart). There''s really no magic to it, they simply give you the tools to make healthy lifestyle changes. But I think it''s the support that makes it worth the money. And that''s the only down side, the money. It''s pretty pricey. But for me, it was worth it.

Sorry, my response was rather lengthy! I guess I could''ve just said "Physicians Weight Loss"
20.gif
3.gif

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
IDOC, don''t apologize for your post! I love reading "background" stories :). I saw the proposal pictures and you''re gorgeous and in great shape!
31.gif
When you said you topped off at 173 I was completely surprised! Anyway good for you that you''re happy and healthy
9.gif

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
LMR, for me, I lost the most weight but cutting out sugar (except those found in fruits and veggies) and lifting weights. Cutting out sugar is so hard because it''s in virtually all foods, but if you can resist for a few weeks, the cravings lessen dramatically. On the occasion I did eat sugar, I got terrible headaches from it. However, it''s hard to go out with friends and have a social life because you really can''t eat restaurant food (there''s sugar in everything, even the most savory dishes
8.gif
). Good luck! I hope you find what works for you!

KatM

Shiny_Rock
IDOC, do you know how much that program costs? I like the idea of 3x/week accountability, but it sounds costly.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I joined Weight Watchers and I love it. I''ve lost about 12 pounds so far (I''ve been hovering here for 3 months, which is annoying, but slow and steady wins the race, right?) and I feel really good. I''m just watching portions, eating good foods (I had homemade veggie pizza last night - YUM). I''ve got about 15-20 lbs to go until I''m back at my normal weight.

I won''t lie, though. I''m relaxed because I know I don''t have to take e-pics anytime soon. You can bet that a fire will be lit under my butt if this weight isn''t gone by the time I get engaged. (Mostly becuase that''s a few years away, and if I can''t lose 15-20lbs in a few YEARS there are bigger issues at play.)

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
yup, although it''s mostly since the next time i see him will be august and i always try to get myself more in shape and looking better than the last time he saw me.

figure it can''t hurt if he keeps thinking i always look better than the last time he saw me, even if he doesn''t quite know why
25.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results