shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinion! Ex girlfreind involved!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

amyg

Shiny_Rock
i tend to agree with Allycat...this would be a near deal breaked for me as well...if he has nothing to hide, why didn''t he tell you about it, and you need to stop worrying about how crazy yo will look for snooping around, if he was being honet you wouldn''t have to snoop. You have a right to know what''s going on with him and his ex...how would he feel if it were you?? Just my nsho...

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/9/2006 2:27:42 PM
Author: aphisiglovessae
I''m just saying that in a heat moment or what I like to call a ''deer caught in headlights'' moment, not everyone thinks about the consequences of their actions and what they should do. They just do the first thing that pops in their head, even though they realize later on that it''s not right. And once that''s realized, it''s hard to take back what''s already been done. I''m sure everyone has their own perspective on this, but I don''t really think it''s immature or anything. Just human nature.

I am in no way giving excuses for him. I''m just giving another perspective. I hated being one sided on things and I like to look at situations from ALL angles.

I''ve always been raised that you should never lie because the consequences will be worse if the lie is found out later, but like I said, I''ve slipped before and done it. Also, some people are not raised with such virtues. We don''t really know what''s going on in this guys head or what his intentions were. I just don''t want to be burning him at the stake from the start. Like I said, they were BOTH wrong in their actions.
Aphi, I got what you were doing.
4.gif
And I''m not trying to say that I''ve never lied before...but I haven''t to my FI. But then I don''t do anything worth lying about. I guess I just don''t get the male mind why they do the things they do or act the way they do...very odd creatures.
20.gif

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/9/2006 2:33:58 PM
Author: Caribou

Date: 3/9/2006 2:27:42 PM
I''m just saying that in a heat moment or what I like to call a ''deer caught in headlights'' moment, not everyone thinks about the consequences of their actions and what they should do. They just do the first thing that pops in their head, even though they realize later on that it''s not right. And once that''s realized, it''s hard to take back what''s already been done. I''m sure everyone has their own perspective on this, but I don''t really think it''s immature or anything. Just human nature.

I am in no way giving excuses for him. I''m just giving another perspective. I hated being one sided on things and I like to look at situations from ALL angles.

I''ve always been raised that you should never lie because the consequences will be worse if the lie is found out later, but like I said, I''ve slipped before and done it. Also, some people are not raised with such virtues. We don''t really know what''s going on in this guys head or what his intentions were. I just don''t want to be burning him at the stake from the start. Like I said, they were BOTH wrong in their actions.
Aphi, I got what you were doing.
4.gif
And I''m not trying to say that I''ve never lied before...but I haven''t to my FI. But then I don''t do anything worth lying about. I guess I just don''t get the male mind why they do the things they do or act the way they do...very odd creatures.
20.gif
Yes they are. You have no idea how many books I have read to try to understand the male mind. I still have no clue!!

As for how honest our lives are, I don''t really think I do anything worth lying about and I actually haven''t lied to my fiance either. Not even about talking to my ex. I''ve noticed that people will lie about the stupidest things though (not that this situation is stupid, because it''s far from it). People don''t realize that if they just fess up to begin with, life would be easier and less painful. I learned that the hard way (but only very few times) when I was very young. The situations where I lied without thinking were to my parents, and boy was hell unleashed when I was caught in a lie!

esguy27

Shiny_Rock
I never said there was a logical reason why he lied or that it was right. But pretty much every reply to the original posting ignores the fact that what she did was a violation of privacy.

In my opinion, unless you have some proof that something seriously bad is going on behind your back, you shouldn''t do things like check phone records, log into email accounts that aren''t yours, etc. It''s just not right. From what I can tell, all she knew is that her bf was not answering calls from a number that she didn''t recognize.

By no means am I trying to flame here. I just wanted to make my point that the invasion of privacy is as wrong as him lying. It sounds like there are some serious trust issues is the relationship that were present before the whole phone thing happened.

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/9/2006 2:44:09 PM
Author: esguy27
I never said there was a logical reason why he lied or that it was right. But pretty much every reply to the original posting ignores the fact that what she did was a violation of privacy.

In my opinion, unless you have some proof that something seriously bad is going on behind your back, you shouldn't do things like check phone records, log into email accounts that aren't yours, etc. It's just not right. From what I can tell, all she knew is that her bf was not answering calls from a number that she didn't recognize.

By no means am I trying to flame here. I just wanted to make my point that the invasion of privacy is as wrong as him lying. It sounds like there are some serious trust issues is the relationship that were present before the whole phone thing happened.
Hey, I didn't ignore it! I actually agreed with that. So there!!
3.gif
Sorry, I just wanted to lighten the mood a little. This is a really serious subject.

stacyQ

Rough_Rock
WOW! I spurred a debate here, didn''t I? Thanks for all of the great input. All of the questions that are being raised have filtered through my mind since this happened, it is nice to know that I am not irrational. I have come to some conclusions.........

1. This is the first time he has lied to me, and I DO know for a fact he is kind of absent minded about stuff like that. I am going to chalk this one up to "avoidance of a bad situation" and keep my eyes more open than I have in the past (and definitely keep checking the phone bill.)

2. This is usually a deal breaker situation for me, but I am going to try to trust in the fact that he knows this now and won''t cross the line again. EVER. And if he does, you guys will be the first to know (other than him, that is!)

Oh, and as for violating his privacy, when he is in charge of paying the phone bills, THEN I have no right to look. Everything else I found on a PUBLIC message board just like this one. I just typed her screenname from another message board that I know she used to use into google and found her on several more. And yes, I know it is her, Dallas just isn''t that big and she mentioned my boyfriend by name. I just didn''t want to come across to my boyfriend like I had nothing better to do than to track her down (but of course, you guys know that I don''t!
9.gif
)

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, but missy, you had a friend call the number to find out who it was. That''s pretty sneaky! *slaps stacyQ on the wrist*
2.gif

All joking aside, you probably shouldn''t have done that. If you pay the phone bill, sure you have the right to question what''s on it. And the message forum IS public domain. BUT.... having your friend call the number just to find who he''s been talking to may have crossed the line though. I would be upset if my fiance did that to me.

stacyQ

Rough_Rock

In my opinion, unless you have some proof that something seriously bad is going on behind your back, you shouldn''t do things like check phone records, log into email accounts that aren''t yours, etc. It''s just not right. From what I can tell, all she knew is that her bf was not answering calls from a number that she didn''t recognize.

I guess I should clarify, I knew that the number popping up was his ex to begin with, she is the only one he knows that lives in that area code. I asked point blank, then he said he didn''t talk to her. I am not saying that what I did was right, but I had a hunch that he wasn''t being totally truthful.

I don''t care if he talks to Tom, Dick, or Harry, or even women in general, but a woman that he used to have a romantic/sexual relationship with? That is grounds for snooping, sorry buddy. I guess you and I wouldn''t make a good pair
9.gif

And I never hacked into email, thank you very much.

stacyQ

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/9/2006 2:54:12 PM
Yeah, but missy, you had a friend call the number to find out who it was. That''s pretty sneaky! *slaps stacyQ on the wrist*
2.gif

All joking aside, you probably shouldn''t have done that. If you pay the phone bill, sure you have the right to question what''s on it. And the message forum IS public domain. BUT.... having your friend call the number just to find who he''s been talking to may have crossed the line though. I would be upset if my fiance did that to me.
Hey, I never said I was a saint!
9.gif

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/9/2006 2:56:23 PM
Author: stacyQ

Date: 3/9/2006 2:54:12 PM
Yeah, but missy, you had a friend call the number to find out who it was. That's pretty sneaky! *slaps stacyQ on the wrist*
2.gif

All joking aside, you probably shouldn't have done that. If you pay the phone bill, sure you have the right to question what's on it. And the message forum IS public domain. BUT.... having your friend call the number just to find who he's been talking to may have crossed the line though. I would be upset if my fiance did that to me.
Hey, I never said I was a saint!
9.gif
Ha ha, NOBODY IS!!
11.gif

I still think you should have a heart to heart with him about it though. I'm sure he knows you're uncomfortable with it, but maybe he'll be more cooperative and respectful to you if you talk to him about it calmly and lovingly. Just let him know that you love him and don't want to control him, that you don't think it was right for him to lie to you about such a thing, that you should both be honest and open with each other... All that good stuff. And no accusations or confrontation (you know, coming off as threatening or something)!

ETA: If he knows about you snooping or whatever, you might want to admit that you were wrong in your actions too. That helps him to feel that you aren't completely blaming him (you are basically saying that you were BOTH wrong) and he won't go into defensive mode. I know it helps in my relationship to admit if I've done anything wrong in the situation, whether I felt justified or not.

stacyQ

Rough_Rock
I already talked with him, he seems to understand that what he did wasn''t cool, and if the sitch were reversed he would have freaked (probably worse than I did, my last boyfriend didn''t cheat on me like his ex did on him!) I just wanted opinions from you guys because I am still dealing with the mental aftereffects of all of this.

stermag

Shiny_Rock
I may have a logical explanation for why he lied... This is, however, only hypothetical:

If my boyfriend cheated on me and I left him, a part of me, no matter how much I would try to convince myself otherwise, would want him to not just regret, but DEEPLY regret his actions. In other words, I would subconsciously want him to be very very sorry. I would hope that he never again find happiness and one day realize that I was the best thing that ever happened to him.

Okay, okay, maybe I would only feel this way for a week or a month. Eventually, I would conclude that he isn''t worth my time, that I am better off and that happiness is just around the corner if only I allow myself to find it.

Some people, however, have a harder time letting go of this desire to feel redeemed and having a woman who hurt you very badly making efforts to come back into your life is as great a redemption as it gets. This doesn''t mean that he wants anything to do with her, it doesn''t mean that he still loves her - he may think she is the lowest form of a living being on the planet, but he still extracts enormous satisfaction from knowing that she wants him back... and can''t have him. It is, for some people, impossibly difficult to turn away such attention.

Is this pathetic? Maybe. Probably. Are we all not guilty of such petty thoughts/feelings from time to time? My guess is yes. Point is it really may have nothing to do with you, his feelings for you or his devotion to your relationship. He might just be a little bit weak and perhaps reminding him of how good he has it, as opposed to stalking and interrogating him, might give him the balls he needs to tell the ex where she can go....

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/9/2006 3:03:06 PM
I already talked with him, he seems to understand that what he did wasn't cool, and if the sitch were reversed he would have freaked (probably worse than I did, my last boyfriend didn't cheat on me like his ex did on him!) I just wanted opinions from you guys because I am still dealing with the mental aftereffects of all of this.
Oh good. I guess now it's just a wait-and-see type of thing. Hopefully he really won't do it anymore.

I know the trust between you has been affected, but that's going to happen from time to time. The good thing about trust is that although really hard to do, it can be earned back, if you're willing to let him try. The number one most important thing in ANY relationship is communication. Keep those lines of communication open and you can conquer any mountain that may pop up in your relationship. I hope he eventually understands this too. Now I'm off to my Forensic Anthropology class!! Hope you at least feel a little better after all this thread conversation.

stacyQ

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/9/2006 3:05:28 PM
Author: stermag
I may have a logical explanation for why he lied... This is, however, only hypothetical:

If my boyfriend cheated on me and I left him, a part of me, no matter how much I would try to convince myself otherwise, would want him to not just regret, but DEEPLY regret his actions. In other words, I would subconsciously want him to be very very sorry. I would hope that he never again find happiness and one day realize that I was the best thing that ever happened to him.

Okay, okay, maybe I would only feel this way for a week or a month. Eventually, I would conclude that he isn''t worth my time, that I am better off and that happiness is just around the corner if only I allow myself to find it.

Some people, however, have a harder time letting go of this desire to feel redeemed and having a woman who hurt you very badly making efforts to come back into your life is as great a redemption as it gets. This doesn''t mean that he wants anything to do with her, it doesn''t mean that he still loves her - he may think she is the lowest form of a living being on the planet, but he still extracts enormous satisfaction from knowing that she wants him back... and can''t have him. It is, for some people, impossibly difficult to turn away such attention.

Is this pathetic? Maybe. Probably. Are we all not guilty of such petty thoughts/feelings from time to time? My guess is yes. Point is it really may have nothing to do with you, his feelings for you or his devotion to your relationship. He might just be a little bit weak and perhaps reminding him of how good he has it, as opposed to stalking and interrogating him, might give him the balls he needs to tell the ex where she can go....
Whoa! never stalked and interrogated! I quietly "researched" and then discussed
2.gif
! I am just not a harsh person to begin with. But you are very right, I suspect that there may be some of your explanation underlying his actions.

Also, I am afraid that if he tells her to buzz off now (after he has been "polite" to her, to use his term) it will either look like i told him to do it or he got in trouble for talking to her, and that will spur her on further to keep calling. Any thoughts??????

stacyQ

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/9/2006 3:07:55 PM

Date: 3/9/2006 3:03:06 PM
I already talked with him, he seems to understand that what he did wasn''t cool, and if the sitch were reversed he would have freaked (probably worse than I did, my last boyfriend didn''t cheat on me like his ex did on him!) I just wanted opinions from you guys because I am still dealing with the mental aftereffects of all of this.
Oh good. I guess now it''s just a wait-and-see type of thing. Hopefully he really won''t do it anymore.

I know the trust between you has been affected, but that''s going to happen from time to time. The good thing about trust is that although really hard to do, it can be earned back, if you''re willing to let him try. The number one most important thing in ANY relationship is communication. Keep those lines of communication open and you can conquer any mountain that may pop up in your relationship. I hope he eventually understands this too. Now I''m off to my Forensic Anthropology class!! Hope you at least feel a little better after all this thread conversation.
Jealous! I love Forensic Anthropology! I do feel better, THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!

stermag

Shiny_Rock
His decision to tell her off should be his and his alone. If it is, he will have no problem repeating the message in the event that she decides to renew her efforts.

If, however, the decision to tell her off is forced on him by you (or if he even perceives it this way) he may be less immune to her attempts to re-enter his life.

At a time like this, as hard and counter-intuitive as it may sound ... you might benefit more from building him up than tearing him down (I realize my choice of words is harsh, but it is only to illustrate a point not to accuse you of, say, interrogation or stalking).

Let him know that you understand it''s often difficult to deal with the past when it comes rushing back at you, that you won''t blame him if he has something he needs to sort out with this woman but that you have the right to have expectations as well... you expect him to do this with integrity and respect to your relationship. Show him that you believe in him and trust in his ability to resolve the situation. Human nature is a funny thing - we are more likely to try our best if we know someone believes in us. On the other hand, if he thinks that, no matter what he does, he''s doomed ("do I answer the phone? do I not answer? do I tell her? do I not tell her?") he''s more likely to lie and conceal the truth, even if the truth is harmless.

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/9/2006 3:10:52 PM
Also, I am afraid that if he tells her to buzz off now (after he has been ''polite'' to her, to use his term) it will either look like i told him to do it or he got in trouble for talking to her, and that will spur her on further to keep calling. Any thoughts??????
I wouldn''t even care about this. I would place bets that if she put herself in your shoes she would be reacting in a similar manner.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock

That''s what i was trying (and failing) to say. Snooping like that not only violates the trust between people, it also indicates that there''s something wrong with the relationship. Asking your bf if he''s talking to his ex when you know she''s been calling him is just a set-up for trouble. (i missed the first time that she did know who it was). And IMO, a person who trusted the guy to start with (before the lie) would have said something more along the lines of "was that so&so? what was she calling about?". (hey it could have been about a mutual friend).
I''m not excusing his lying about something so sensitive. Although G. knows I''ve done the deer in the headlights thing a couple of times.
This whole thing sounds like a snowball turning rapidly into an avalanche. I''m not sure what to suggest to stop things now.

And I gotta say about the invasion of privacy, we''ve got a family plan and I pay the phone bill too. I would never examine his phone records, and he''d never do that to me. I mean, sure, if we were running over our minutes it''s reasonable to see what was causing the problem.
2.gif

stermag

Shiny_Rock
...and as a side note - try to believe in what you say. In other words, first convince yourself that you''ll be okay if he has a conversation with her, and only then tell him that you would be.

Also, do not confuse "I respect your need to talk to her" with "I don''t care if you talk to her".

The latter suggests indifference and that''s not good. A little bit of jealousy, a little bit of putting your foot down and stating your claim on him is good, necessary even. He needs to know you won''t put up with any BS, but he also needs to know that you value him and believe in him enough to leave this matter in his own, capable hands.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
hello: this is just a response to your worry that if your BF''s develops a new cold shoulder towards his ex - that it somehow is a reflection on you...

i had a vaguely similar situation -- not with the detective work --
emwink.gif

but my now fiancee had dated a girl for three years or so. they had broken up for almost a year before we got together, but remained close friends. close to the point that they talked on the phone a couple of times a week!! Now, when i first learned this, i was a bit uncomfortable, but my fiancee was quite amazing about it. i remember one night we were talking about the situation and he said "ask me anything you want, you''re not prying, i''ll answer any questions you have because i want you to be comfortable." that conversation was a huge comfort, but as time went on and the level of communication remained constant i had another talk with him. I tried to explain that while i knew that there were no romantic feelings, it made me uncomfortable to talk to frequently to his ex -- to continue to have such an close relationship -- mind you it was always her calling. i wasn''t saying that they couldn''t be friends, but that she couldn''t expect him to remain to be her best friend, to have to rely on her ex so much, to feel the need to talk multiple times a week. his life was moving on as should hers. he understood where i was coming from and told his ex what we discussed.

Her response: "You better watch out with someone as insecure as that -- manipulatively trying to control who you can be friends with and who you can''t."
38.gif
38.gif

needless to say, i was infuriated by her reaction. it was completely out of line. she didn''t see at all how her constant presense was inappropriate and tried to turn it around. whatever. because of her ridiculous reaction my fiancee isn''t even friends with her anymore. i think that he finally realized that she was stuck and that it wasn''t healthy and he let it go.

these things work out really well if you are mature and open and approachable. our situation worked out because we were both honest and respectfully of each other.

the lying is no good!

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/9/2006 3:24:38 PM
Author: Wren

That's what i was trying (and failing) to say. Snooping like that not only violates the trust between people, it also indicates that there's something wrong with the relationship. Asking your bf if he's talking to his ex when you know she's been calling him is just a set-up for trouble. (i missed the first time that she did know who it was). And IMO, a person who trusted the guy to start with (before the lie) would have said something more along the lines of 'was that so&so? what was she calling about?'. (hey it could have been about a mutual friend).
I'm not excusing his lying about something so sensitive. Although G. knows I've done the deer in the headlights thing a couple of times.
This whole thing sounds like a snowball turning rapidly into an avalanche. I'm not sure what to suggest to stop things now.

And I gotta say about the invasion of privacy, we've got a family plan and I pay the phone bill too. I would never examine his phone records, and he'd never do that to me. I mean, sure, if we were running over our minutes it's reasonable to see what was causing the problem.
2.gif
So let me ask this...if you suspected your boyfriend were cheating, you had this amazingly stong gut feeling that he was, you had people say that they've heard he was, so you approached him with what you've heard. He says he isn't, hasn't and wouldn't. But that gut feeling is still there, the one that everyone tells you not to ignore, and the same people are still telling you what they've heard. He still denies it. Do you just let it go....trust that he's being honest even though all these other things are telling you othewise? Or do you try and find out for sure??

I think most people's reaction would be to find out for themselves. Which may involve, snooping, spying, 'stalking' whatever you want to call it. Is it wrong? Well depending on what you do, it could be illegal, and yes it is mildly wrong but I think on some level it's human nature.

My boyfriend would never cheat on me. But I have been in relationships where I have been cheated on
and I did look for things to confirm or deny it. I think just letting a gut feeling go is not protecting yourself and you need to protect yourself.

Now, I'm not saying what Stacy did was right. And if someone is contantly snooping for no reason other than the crazy thoughts that she has (Stacy this isn't directed to you) than she needs help.

I guess really all I'm saying is that you can't really say what you would or wouldn't do if put in her situation. I think her snooping was mild and harmless.

stacyQ

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/9/2006 3:32:12 PM
Author: lovelylulu
hello: this is just a response to your worry that if your BF''s develops a new cold shoulder towards his ex - that it somehow is a reflection on you...

i had a vaguely similar situation -- not with the detective work --
emwink.gif

but my now fiancee had dated a girl for three years or so. they had broken up for almost a year before we got together, but remained close friends. close to the point that they talked on the phone a couple of times a week!! Now, when i first learned this, i was a bit uncomfortable, but my fiancee was quite amazing about it. i remember one night we were talking about the situation and he said ''ask me anything you want, you''re not prying, i''ll answer any questions you have because i want you to be comfortable.'' that conversation was a huge comfort, but as time went on and the level of communication remained constant i had another talk with him. I tried to explain that while i knew that there were no romantic feelings, it made me uncomfortable to talk to frequently to his ex -- to continue to have such an close relationship -- mind you it was always her calling. i wasn''t saying that they couldn''t be friends, but that she couldn''t expect him to remain to be her best friend, to have to rely on her ex so much, to feel the need to talk multiple times a week. his life was moving on as should hers. he understood where i was coming from and told his ex what we discussed.

Her response: ''You better watch out with someone as insecure as that -- manipulatively trying to control who you can be friends with and who you can''t.''
38.gif
38.gif

needless to say, i was infuriated by her reaction. it was completely out of line. she didn''t see at all how her constant presense was inappropriate and tried to turn it around. whatever. because of her ridiculous reaction my fiancee isn''t even friends with her anymore. i think that he finally realized that she was stuck and that it wasn''t healthy and he let it go.

these things work out really well if you are mature and open and approachable. our situation worked out because we were both honest and respectfully of each other.

the lying is no good!

Wow, that is exactly what I am afraid of! Good thing your boyfriend has smarts!

My SO and I have a good relationship and share pretty much everything, which is what made me so suspicious about this sitch. I think the speculation from some that our relationship isn''t built on trust or that there are problems in that area to begin with is a little off base, this is a seriously isolated incident. Which makes it harder to interpret, I think.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
a little late addition.

If you boyfriend has done anything that has made you feel this way, and thus resulted in your snooping and behaving this way, it's a big problem! (He was behaving badly/deceitfully to begin with - and you responded/picked up on that (and behaved badly.) I don't know any person who wouldn't behave the same way in your situation!)
It's sort of a two wrongs don't make a right situation.

As Aphis said - Communication is key in a relationship. Y'all need to talk.
I think you should lay it all out - everything you've discovered, and have a real honest discussion about what's happening and hows it's made you BOTH feel.
Real honest deep conversation. It's really important to build your relationship, as well as building trust and real intimacy.

You live together for crying out loud!!! There shouldn't be any need for snooping. I don't think both of your lives should be an open book to eachother - but there shouldn't be anything delieberately hidden or mysterious.

How long have you two been together? And how long living together?

Scintillating...

stacyQ

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/9/2006 3:44:31 PM

Now, I''m not saying what Stacy did was right. And if someone is contantly snooping for no reason other than the crazy thoughts that she has (Stacy this isn''t directed to you) than she needs help.

I guess really all I''m saying is that you can''t really say what you would or wouldn''t do if put in her situation. I think her snooping was mild and harmless.
Thanks! I don''t snoop all of the time, just this time. It was seriously directed by my instincts, that happened to be right. I wouldn''t dare do it if I felt no reason to.......... but I did. I wasn''t going to torture myself over the sitch, and knowing my boyfriend (he thinks he is SO smart) I needed to have some kind of proof. Thus the snooping began.

E B

Ideal_Rock

So let me ask this...if you suspected your boyfriend were cheating, you had this amazingly stong gut feeling that he was, you had people say that they've heard he was, so you approached him with what you've heard. He says he isn't, hasn't and wouldn't. But that gut feeling is still there, the one that everyone tells you not to ignore, and the same people are still telling you what they've heard. He still denies it. Do you just let it go....trust that he's being honest even though all these other things are telling you othewise? Or do you try and find out for sure??

I guess really all I'm saying is that you can't really say what you would or wouldn't do if put in her situation. I think her snooping was mild and harmless.
I absolutely agree. Despite the fact that her BF has promised he'll never lie again, he still has. Because he lied, I think he deserves a little investigating. Casually glancing at the phone records doesn't hurt him a bit...but it makes Stacy feel better when he can't. Trust is a bitch of a thing to re-earn once it's lost, and it's fact that guys and girls lie to their significant others all the time. How many of us have cheated/been cheated on? I think that trusting your SO 100% when your gut is telling you that something is wrong is rather naive. Nobody's perfect, and people mess up. In this case, Stacy's boyfriend messed up...he should have known better than to repeatedly talk to/txt an ex-girlfriend. Privacy, schmivacy. All he had to do was tell the truth.

amyg

Shiny_Rock

That''s what i was trying (and failing) to say. Snooping like that not only violates the trust between people, it also indicates that there''s something wrong with the relationship. Asking your bf if he''s talking to his ex when you know she''s been calling him is just a set-up for trouble. (i missed the first time that she did know who it was). And IMO, a person who trusted the guy to start with (before the lie) would have said something more along the lines of ''was that so&so? what was she calling about?''. (hey it could have been about a mutual friend).
I''m not excusing his lying about something so sensitive. Although G. knows I''ve done the deer in the headlights thing a couple of times.
This whole thing sounds like a snowball turning rapidly into an avalanche. I''m not sure what to suggest to stop things now.

And I gotta say about the invasion of privacy, we''ve got a family plan and I pay the phone bill too. I would never examine his phone records, and he''d never do that to me. I mean, sure, if we were running over our minutes it''s reasonable to see what was causing the problem.
2.gif
So let me ask this...if you suspected your boyfriend were cheating, you had this amazingly stong gut feeling that he was, you had people say that they''ve heard he was, so you approached him with what you''ve heard. He says he isn''t, hasn''t and wouldn''t. But that gut feeling is still there, the one that everyone tells you not to ignore, and the same people are still telling you what they''ve heard. He still denies it. Do you just let it go....trust that he''s being honest even though all these other things are telling you othewise? Or do you try and find out for sure??

I think most people''s reaction would be to find out for themselves. Which may involve, snooping, spying, ''stalking'' whatever you want to call it. Is it wrong? Well depending on what you do, it could be illegal, and yes it is mildly wrong but I think on some level it''s human nature.

My boyfriend would never cheat on me. But I have been in relationships where I have been cheated on
and I did look for things to confirm or deny it. I think just letting a gut feeling go is not protecting yourself and you need to protect yourself.

Now, I''m not saying what Stacy did was right. And if someone is contantly snooping for no reason other than the crazy thoughts that she has (Stacy this isn''t directed to you) than she needs help.

I guess really all I''m saying is that you can''t really say what you would or wouldn''t do if put in her situation. I think her snooping was mild and harmless.
I completely agree with Caribou...if that feeling is there, you''re not going to be able to rest until you know the truth, and why should you, if it is going on you need to know as soon as possible...if you prove that your suspicions were wrong then great, but if they are right, you need to know so that the situation can be addressed. This is not specifically for Stacy but on a general scale...been there done that, and don''t regret one bit of the snooping...he wasn''t honest when I asked him about it, so I had to do something...for my own sanity...

stacyQ

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/9/2006 3:55:22 PM
Author: EBree

So let me ask this...if you suspected your boyfriend were cheating, you had this amazingly stong gut feeling that he was, you had people say that they''ve heard he was, so you approached him with what you''ve heard. He says he isn''t, hasn''t and wouldn''t. But that gut feeling is still there, the one that everyone tells you not to ignore, and the same people are still telling you what they''ve heard. He still denies it. Do you just let it go....trust that he''s being honest even though all these other things are telling you othewise? Or do you try and find out for sure??

I absolutely agree. Despite the fact that her BF has promised he''ll never lie again, he still has. Because he lied, I think he deserves a little investigating. Casually glancing at the phone records doesn''t hurt him a bit...but it makes Stacy feel better when he can''t. Trust is a bitch of a thing to re-earn once it''s lost, and it''s fact that guys and girls lie to their significant others all the time. How many of us have cheated/been cheated on? I think that trusting your SO 100% when your gut is telling you that something is wrong is rather naive. Nobody''s perfect, and people mess up. In this case, Stacy''s boyfriend messed up...he should have known better than to repeatedly call/txt an ex-girlfriend. Privacy, schmivacy. All he had to do was tell the truth.
I totally agree with that sentiment!

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock

Also, I am afraid that if he tells her to buzz off now (after he has been 'polite' to her, to use his term) it will either look like i told him to do it or he got in trouble for talking to her, and that will spur her on further to keep calling. Any thoughts??????

I'm back! I wanted to tell you how I felt when there was a time that my ex told me he couldn't talk to me anymore:

First of all, I didn't give a rat's behind whether he could talk to me anymore or not. I wasn't the one calling, IM-ing and texting. He was the one who intitiated every instance of communication between us. This is completely opposite of your boyfriend's situation, but I wanted to give you a perspective of the ex (me). I felt... No, I KNEW that he got in trouble for talking to me. He had a girlfriend at the time that was... well... to put it lightly... PSYCHO (engaged about 5 times in the 3 years I had known her). Apparently the fact that I threw him out, that I was in a great relationship, and that I had already told him I didn't want contact with him a few times, didn't keep her from thinking I was trying to get back together with him. She used to be my friend so I knew her very well. She even stated to me one time that because of our extensive past (me and my ex), she would like for us to stay friends. However, she stated that they were very happy and didn't want me to interfere in their relationship. Then a few days later he IM's me saying he can't talk to me anymore.. Why? Because when she said what she did, I said this: "First of all, I am NOT ready to talk to you. You were my friend and you betrayed me by moving in on my ex. I would NEVER date a friends ex. Especially when they experienced almost 9 years together. That's just wrong in my opinion. Secondly, he does the calling. I have no desire to be friends with him and I certainly have no desire to call him for any reason. All communication between us was initiated by him and I'm just too nice a person to hang up on him. And finally, if you were REALLY happy, you wouldn't feel the need to state it to me and try to talk to me about it. In other words, are you REALLY happy or are you trying to convince yourself that you are??.. Maybe you should be talking to him instead of me, because you're wasting your time. " I guess she realized that it was really him that was the problem and gave him a piece of her mind. Good thing too, because it helped me stop his pestering (he still tried talking to me, but not as much).

After that long, drawn out story about my experience, here's my point:

If he tells her to buzz off now, it's possible she may feel that you are acting/feeling the same way as my ex's girlfriend. But do you really care?? I wouldn't.. Good riddance...

ETA: If it does spur her to keep calling or call more frequently, she might get on your boyfriend's nerves which would probably help him to stop talking to her. If you trust your boyfriend to respect you by not talking to her anymore, I wouldn't care what she thought about you.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
I don't think you are over analyzing this, I think you need to run with your gut feeling, which seems to be telling you something is up. Why would he hiude it if it was no big deal? THat doesn't make any sense!

ETA: I just don't sit well with the lying no matter how innocent because I had a friend whos boy was doing exactly what yours did. Only he was cheating. So I guess I tend to be a little more suspicious. However I also come from a point of view of giving second chances especially if nothing truly wrong was commited. Tough situation. GOod luck

stacyQ

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/9/2006 5:32:49 PM

Also, I am afraid that if he tells her to buzz off now (after he has been ''polite'' to her, to use his term) it will either look like i told him to do it or he got in trouble for talking to her, and that will spur her on further to keep calling. Any thoughts??????

I''m back! I wanted to tell you how I felt when there was a time that my ex told me he couldn''t talk to me anymore:

First of all, I didn''t give a rat''s behind whether he could talk to me anymore or not. I wasn''t the one calling, IM-ing and texting. He was the one who intitiated every instance of communication between us. This is completely opposite of your boyfriend''s situation, but I wanted to give you a perspective of the ex (me). I felt... No, I KNEW that he got in trouble for talking to me. He had a girlfriend at the time that was... well... to put it lightly... PSYCHO (engaged about 5 times in the 3 years I had known her). Apparently the fact that I threw him out, that I was in a great relationship, and that I had already told him I didn''t want contact with him a few times, didn''t keep her from thinking I was trying to get back together with him. She used to be my friend so I knew her very well. She even stated to me one time that because of our extensive past (me and my ex), she would like for us to stay friends. However, she stated that they were very happy and didn''t want me to interfere in their relationship. Then a few days later he IM''s me saying he can''t talk to me anymore.. Why? Because when she said what she did, I said this: ''First of all, I am NOT ready to talk to you. You were my friend and you betrayed me by moving in on my ex. I would NEVER date a friends ex. Especially when they experienced almost 9 years together. That''s just wrong in my opinion. Secondly, he does the calling. I have no desire to be friends with him and I certainly have no desire to call him for any reason. All communication between us was initiated by him and I''m just too nice a person to hang up on him. And finally, if you were REALLY happy, you wouldn''t feel the need to state it to me and try to talk to me about it. In other words, are you REALLY happy or are you trying to convince yourself that you are??.. Maybe you should be talking to him instead of me, because you''re wasting your time. '' I guess she realized that it was really him that was the problem and gave him a piece of her mind. Good thing too, because it helped me stop his pestering (he still tried talking to me, but not as much).

After that long, drawn out story about my experience, here''s my point:

If he tells her to buzz off now, it''s possible she may feel that you are acting/feeling the same way as my ex''s girlfriend. But do you really care?? I wouldn''t.. Good riddance...

ETA: If it does spur her to keep calling or call more frequently, she might get on your boyfriend''s nerves which would probably help him to stop talking to her. If you trust your boyfriend to respect you by not talking to her anymore, I wouldn''t care what she thought about you.
Good point! I am overanalyzing, as is my typical fashion. She is a nasty drama queen (the last time my SO saw her out, and thank heavens I wasn''t there, she tried to beat him over the head with a beer bottle when he said he had a new girlfriend). We ARE NOT that kind of people so he may have thought that by talking to her and being nice he was staving off some kind of horrid retribution. Which also make me reluctant to have him tell her to piss off, but it may just be worth it to get rid of her for good. I will see how his not talking to her goes and if she still calls as much as she did, then he can tell her to stop

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results