shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress shopping before the ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

This_Is_Amore

Rough_Rock
Anyone else want to ''fess up to doing this? I have been browsing pictures for a while (OK, for two of the four years of our relationship
17.gif
), but will be trying on my first dress this evening!

I keep a close watch on Craigslist as it''s pretty active in my area, and found a listing for a Stephen Yearick dress that I''ve been drooling over!!!
30.gif
I never thought I''d be able to buy a ''pre-worn'' dress, since I''m super tall, but this one is in my size, and had length added because the original wearer was a Rockette! She''s only asking $700 for the dress, undergarments, and matching veil, so I think it''s fate!
36.gif

So I''m curious- are there any ritualistic motions I need to go through to avoid jinxing something when trying on a wedding dress before my official engagement? I already found out BF bought my dream ring, and am starting to fear that I''ll mess something up as I go about things b-ass ackwards. BF is going to DIE laughing at me when I tell him about this- he thinks it''s hilarious that I''m taking him as a ''foregone conclusion''. Which, of course, I am!
31.gif

ksprincess

Shiny_Rock
Um......I''ll fess up! I definitely did this. In fact, I went and tried them on with my father a week before I was proposed to, and I fell in love! I didn''t buy it until afterwards though, because I wanted to look around more. I would say it dependso n how far away you think your wedding will be. Since mine was within the next six months I knew it had to be done asap anyways and that I''d have no time to change my mind.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I have been dress browsing WAAY before I met my BF! I''ve changed my preference 5 times, and I''m pretty sure on what to get when we get engaged. HOWEVER, I wouldn''t physically go shopping because I want to fully enjoy the engagement part. I''ll go crazy on the wedding part when the time comes
9.gif
For you, it will make sense to get your dream dress right now considering the situation!
A word of caution though. After you buy it, I advise you NOT to browse at any more gowns. I have heard about women who kept browsing after their purchase, and they ended up falling all over again for another dress. Look at me...I changed my preference 5 times already!

I''ve read about a girl who went dress shopping early, because her intended MOH was conveniently in the area, and goodness knows when they were going to meet the next time. Turned out that the day they bought the dress was the day the guy bought the ring, so it ended up pretty romantic
1.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
There was a thread on this a while back...I think the general consenus was "if you wanna, do it!"
1.gif

Especially in your situation, where you know he''s proposing soon-ish and you''ve found the dress you want for a deal. Do it! Do it!
9.gif

sweetjettagirl04

Shiny_Rock
I, too, will fess up about doing this. I tried on a few dresses the day after I knew the ring was ordered. Oh, and I''m constantly on the knot looking at bios and creating my wedding inspiration board and saving pics on my computer - getting ideas of where I''d like to have it, etc. I can justify mine by saying that dear BF wants to be married in October of this year so I have to have all my ducks in a row! I''m contemplating designing my own save the dates and invites, so that''s my new project - getting inspiration for those.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I must confess as well, not only did I do this...but I bought my dress before the ring was on my finger!!
31.gif
We bought the ring and then within a few weeks I bought the dress. I just found the dress and decided to buy it.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I don't know, I think it might be risky. What if the dress ends up not matching the venue? Then again... you could always match the venue to the dress.
2.gif

But I also wanted to say hi
35.gif
because I'm also Steven Yearick bride! I also bought mine second hand. Think of it as being environmentally conscious.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been looking at dresses online for quite some time, but have never actually been to try any on.

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve kinda been looking online and on Craigslist but then again my ring is almost finished and I should have it on my finger soon!
9.gif

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
hee hee... I''ve never done this, but if I knew my BF had purchased a ring I would Definitely be trying on dresses. It''s crazy how far ahead of time they tell you to buy them for alterations, etc, so if you can find one that fits, at a discount no less, I say go for it.

Plus, planning a wedding is so much work that if you get that big part out of the way, you''ll be more relaxed. You''re just being practical!

(If I told BF I was trying on dresses I think he''d say something like, "Why are you torturing yourself?" which is what he said last time I was drooling in front of my favorite jewelry store window...)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results